The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Media Tour, Day 2

By on March 27, 2012 9:46:44 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I had forgotten how much I enjoy these things.  

It's great to get out and talk to "my kind". That is, hard core gamers.  Today I got to talk about now just Fallen Enchantress and Sins of a Solar Empire but the transition from 32-bit gaming to 64-bit, mobile gaming, DirectX 11, and the impact HTML 5 is going to have on game development.

Sins of a Solar Empire always demos well since it's got spectacular effects in it.  Fallen Enchantress gained some new spells recently that show well. I can't wait to see what the team does with the new particle effect system with light sourcing and bit strips.

+912 Karma | 4 Replies
March 28, 2012 3:41:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can't wait for 64-bit games. I got it for six years now, and never had a real game that used it. It's beter, they said. Much quicker they said...

March 29, 2012 6:16:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
All games should be 64-bit from now on. Trying to maintain backwards compatibility really holds things back. Games are meant to be cutting-edge, always pushing the envelope at the forefront of technological development, imho. I'm pleased that FE will be able to at least take advantage of the greater amount of memory available in 64-bit. I would hope that the third game in the Elemental series, if there is one, uses DirectX 11.
March 29, 2012 7:49:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, backwards compatibility I think is more important in business settings (although not 100% crucial).  If we were not concerned in moving forward in games when it's the right time, then we may as well restrict ourselves to how many KB Bill Gates thought we'd never need more than in computers.

March 29, 2012 2:41:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ErikCurre,
All games should be 64-bit from now on. Trying to maintain backwards compatibility really holds things back. Games are meant to be cutting-edge, always pushing the envelope at the forefront of technological development, imho. I'm pleased that FE will be able to at least take advantage of the greater amount of memory available in 64-bit. I would hope that the third game in the Elemental series, if there is one, uses DirectX 11.

It's gotta make business sense.  It didn't 5 years ago.  I think it does now, if your game can benefit from it.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000141   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.