The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Incoming: Baldur's Gate News

By on March 15, 2012 1:04:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
Seen this timer? Make sure you head over to baldursgate.com for an exciting announcement at noon pacific.
baldursgate.com

Saw this on Facebook today.
+1 Karma | 74 Replies
March 19, 2012 8:15:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was hoping he was trying to make a joke. It's not that difficult to understand (more proficiency points for a weapon is good, don't use weapons you have no proficiency in). And turning up the difficulty without understanding basic game mechanics, and then complaining you get killed is just silly.

March 23, 2012 1:32:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The remake is making it's way to the iPad.

http://kotaku.com/5895620/youll-be-able-to-play-baldurs-gate-on-your-ipad-this-summer/gallery/1

I've never been thrilled with my finger covering up the screen on my iPhone games but it almost makes me want to buy an iPad.

March 23, 2012 2:24:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Othello,
The remake is making it's way to the iPad.

Suddenly I am regretting making the karma bet, lol

March 23, 2012 12:03:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wait, wait, wait, let me get this straight.  They're re-making one of the best RPG's of all time, and they're releasing it for the iPad of all platforms?

March 23, 2012 12:48:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In addition, I believe

March 23, 2012 1:06:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting EviliroN,
In addition, I believe

Damn, I hope so. If not, this just went from cool, to lame. Don't get me wrong I have an iPad. But I defintely do not have it to play in depth games. It's great for quick games, scrabble, and other similar things. Full scale RPG on an iPad, LOL, no thanks!

March 25, 2012 5:56:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SpardaSon21,
Wait, wait, wait, let me get this straight.  They're re-making one of the best RPG's of all time, and they're releasing it for the iPad of all platforms?

That's *in addition* to for the PC.  So we're still covered.   

March 27, 2012 3:43:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Leo in WI,

Quoting EviliroN, reply 55In addition, I believe

Damn, I hope so. If not, this just went from cool, to lame. Don't get me wrong I have an iPad. But I defintely do not have it to play in depth games. It's great for quick games, scrabble, and other similar things. Full scale RPG on an iPad, LOL, no thanks!

I'm curious. I think the iPad would be the perfect platform for this type of game (this and RTS games). I feel this may be a turning point for the "system." Just like Monkey Island on the iPhone.

EDIT:

And the news get sweeter

http://kotaku.com/5896565/baldurs-gate-ipad-will-support-multiplayer-cost-less-than-10

March 27, 2012 4:28:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I expect my Karma if this game is not Superior. Really, this is a great bet for me. If it isn't better, I get +1 Karma. If it is better I get +1 spectacular game. Even though I will have to sit there and give you 100 Karma points. 

March 27, 2012 10:47:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't Welsh from a bet

March 29, 2012 8:52:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kodiak888,

Quoting Gandhialf, reply 46
Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series probably are just not for Campaigner. That's it. Don't tell you're sad because not everyone shares your view of a good computer game. That would be... strange.

It's okay if they're not for him; he doesn't have to buy and enjoy them for the masterpieces they are. What makes me sad is the mass simplification of games in today's market, and those who would rather have such simple games instead of actually having to think.

That sounds like "if you don't like complicated games like Baldurds Gate II then you're dumb"....

Look, you have to think in most games. Take Dawn of War II I'm playing nowadays. I have to decide which weapon and armorpiece goes to which character and before that, which characters go on this mission.

Ok, Avitus is gone. Now I have to strip him of this stuff and see if someone else can make better use out of it....THAT is fun thinking.

Or Company of Heroes. Should I build on this fuelpoint or should I just get more troops?   Should I get the Weapons Support Bay or save up to the Motor Pool?   And when should i get the first logistics upgrade??   Decisions, decisions....

On the other hand, playing chess and checking every god damn move 3 turns ahead is SUCH a bore that I consider it punishment to play chess. I'ts ONLY thinking in that game which is so incredibly boring....plus it gives me a headache

Back to Baldurs Gate II, I also played the tutorial and I didn't remember everything from it when I was done. I remember something about thieves detecting and disabling a trap and there were something about it that I didn't like....

And about that 160% difficulty, did that affect the gamespeed??   Cause the battles went in like 250km/h and I couldn't react in time.

March 29, 2012 11:05:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Campaigner,
And about that 160% difficulty, did that affect the gamespeed?? Cause the battles went in like 250km/h and I couldn't react in time.

Were you not pausing? It seems I remember combat being like DA:O in that it went full speed, but you could pause to set your characters to do their thing, and then let them have at it until you wanted to pause to change tactics or cast a spell or whatever.

March 29, 2012 1:28:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
A fucking "remake" in HD? Go to hell you fucking fake-hypers. I liked it better when I couldn't see shit.

Can we remove karma? 

March 29, 2012 1:41:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Campaigner,
*snip* *snip*

That sounds like "if you don't like complicated games like Baldurds Gate II then you're dumb"....

Ok, Avitus is gone. Now I have to strip him of this stuff and see if someone else can make better use out of it....THAT is fun thinking.

On the other hand, playing chess and checking every god damn move 3 turns ahead is SUCH a bore that I consider it punishment to play chess. I'ts ONLY thinking in that game which is so incredibly boring....plus it gives me a headache

Your post makes me more sad than the original I first quoted. If playing chess, and not being able to out think your opponent is a punishing bore, then you and I will never agree on the subject. I understand that it's not a game many people enjoy, but I still find it incredibly sad.

To me, there is nothing more fun than having beat my opponent with my mind alone. It wasn't because I have more actions per minute, own a more expensive mouse with better dpi control, have 3 monitors set it in eyefinity for the best possible FOV and visuals, or because my wargear is better than theirs. I beat them because I was able to out think them and capitalize on their mistakes, and that is fun thinking.

As far as Baldur's Gate II is, It's not a question of being intelligent, as anyone who is capable of playing any other game is also capable of understanding and playing it. The(My) issue is that not having (or willing to have) the mental capacity to learn complicated games is unfortunate. Those who do not are only cheating themselves of the enjoyment a good, deep game can offer. More so, wanting to simplify games to the lowest common denominator isn't the path to a good game. Also note that popular does not equal good. McDonalds is popular, ridiculously so, but is rated the absolute worst fast food chain.

As for your DoW analogy, which is a game I also enjoy btw, Imagine having 20x Wargear, and 10x Squads for that game. Imagine that if you were too chaotic or devout, your companions might turn on you instead of helping you? Imagine having decisions to make in game that affected the lives of others, and not "you have 10 minutes to save them." The losing and outfitting your companions is the same, there are just more stats and subtleties to consider. I could go on, but based on your previous statements, we are just wired too differently.

And again, not liking those types of things is okay. Some people don't like complicated games, and that has nothing to do with their level of intelligence. However, dumbing down a classic game that is complicated cheapens it for those of us who enjoy a deeper game with more decisions.

March 29, 2012 6:01:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kodiak888,

More so, wanting to simplify games to the lowest common denominator isn't the path to a good game. Also note that popular does not equal good.  

Pop music anyone?

March 29, 2012 10:01:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting EviliroN,
I don't Welsh from a bet

you have something against the Welsh?

March 29, 2012 10:17:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Campaigner,

And about that 160% difficulty, did that affect the gamespeed??   Cause the battles went in like 250km/h and I couldn't react in time.

Why were you playing at 160% difficulty?

I can agree that sometimes its hard to get into a game that doesn't explain itself more fully with UI, etc ... but it doesn't mean I wouldn't eventually try it out a few times to see if I can learn a think or two, and then eventually start playing full games with a more complete understanding of the game mechanics.

Although honestly the (RPG) games I seem to love are the ones that I can get into during the first playthrough ... and then continue for another 40+ total hours (usually much, much more)

Sandbox games are a bit different. If they are too complicated, I just consider them to be "dwarf fortress"esque until I understand it better

March 29, 2012 10:20:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As far as recent games go, I really like the gameplay difference between a 'Run and Gun' and a 'Stealth' play. (Deus Ex Human Revolutions)

The one thing I disliked about Deus Ex was the first boss battle though >.> ... here I was, playing thief like I did in Oblivion. And then I get cornered in to a boss where the only thing that matters is how well you can throw explosive barrels.

After that boss battle, I put all my gun upgrades on a Shotgun and haven't had problems in such circumstances since ... but the fact that you don't have any choice in how you handle boss battles is a bit disappointing.

March 30, 2012 9:17:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kodiak888,

Your post makes me more sad than the original I first quoted. If playing chess, and not being able to out think your opponent is a punishing bore, then you and I will never agree on the subject. I understand that it's not a game many people enjoy, but I still find it incredibly sad.

Considering how sad you said you were before, you have to be depressed now

Quoting Kodiak888,

To me, there is nothing more fun than having beat my opponent with my mind alone. It wasn't because I have more actions per minute, own a more expensive mouse with better dpi control, have 3 monitors set it in eyefinity for the best possible FOV and visuals, or because my wargear is better than theirs. I beat them because I was able to out think them and capitalize on their mistakes, and that is fun thinking.

No timelimit?

No guessing on what they will do (like in DoW II) and counter their possible new unit?

Nothing to do with reaction?   Like attacking in one part of the map and simultaneously on another part of the map, attacking one of their vehicles with a meltabomb which will succed since the opponents attention was on your first attack?

Quoting Kodiak888,

As far as Baldur's Gate II is, It's not a question of being intelligent, as anyone who is capable of playing any other game is also capable of understanding and playing it. The(My) issue is that not having (or willing to have) the mental capacity to learn complicated games is unfortunate. Those who do not are only cheating themselves of the enjoyment a good, deep game can offer. More so, wanting to simplify games to the lowest common denominator isn't the path to a good game. Also note that popular does not equal good. McDonalds is popular, ridiculously so, but is rated the absolute worst fast food chain.

I didn't like it since one of the chars died in every goddamn fight and I didn't knew what to do about it.

I don't like simplifying either, but I believe you mean something different than I do about that. Give an example

Popular and good is quite subjective, but I agree completely that McDonalds is crap and needs to be destroyed.

Quoting Kodiak888,

As for your DoW analogy, which is a game I also enjoy btw, Imagine having 20x Wargear, and 10x Squads for that game. Imagine that if you were too chaotic or devout, your companions might turn on you instead of helping you? Imagine having decisions to make in game that affected the lives of others, and not "you have 10 minutes to save them." The losing and outfitting your companions is the same, there are just more stats and subtleties to consider. I could go on, but based on your previous statements, we are just wired too differently.

20x more wargear would just mean I'd get more free XP for selling it all. And with such a grand amount of squads it would be really chaotic. Most likely I wouldn't care as much about every squad as I do now.

With more stats, you mean like morale (how much carnage can a squad accept), stamina (how long can you run) and such things?

I believe it would clutter things and make it needlessly complicated.

Quoting Kodiak888,

And again, not liking those types of things is okay. Some people don't like complicated games, and that has nothing to do with their level of intelligence. However, dumbing down a classic game that is complicated cheapens it for those of us who enjoy a deeper game with more decisions.

We have to agree on what "dumbing down" would means. But would you say that Knights of the Old Republic is dumbed down compared to BG & ID?

Cause I like KoTOR but one of the things I like the most is that I can abort combat and run behind a wall so the enemy can't hit me

Quoting Tasunke,

Why were you playing at 160% difficulty?

I always play at the hardest difficulty.

March 30, 2012 10:20:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Campaigner,

:facepalm:

If you can't win at the hardest difficulty, try something easier.

Or bar winning, if you can't "have fun" at the hardest difficulty, try an easier difficulty setting ... its just a game.

I mean, when you started playing Civ IV ... did you START on diety?  (assuming you've actually played Civ IV)

March 30, 2012 1:21:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Campaigner,

I feel like I'm being subtly trolled. If so, bravo.

I hope you are just trolling me, but if you happen to be genuine...

Perhaps it is a lack of clarity from my end, but you seem to be taking a literal understanding, yet missing the meaning of my statements. This lack of understanding, as well as some of your more bewildering "arguments" makes it readily apparent that we have irreconcilable and fundamental differences in our opinions of gaming.

That said, with it painfully obvious that we think in an entirely different manner, I have no interest in debating you further on the subject, for fear that I will be overly condescending toward you in particular, instead of the general mindset of gaming that you are attempting to defend.

March 31, 2012 10:44:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Tasunke,

It depends on game to game, but in RTS & TBS (if it's a new series or type of game) I'll start on the easiest to normal difficulty to get a fundamental understanding on how the game works.

Of the Civ series, I've only ever tried Civ II The Test of Time for 1h or so.

Far Cry and Medal of Honor I started on the hardest difficulties but after failing 5 times in a row on the same level I swithced to the 2nd hardest difficulty.

I like a challenge

Kodiak888,

It must be my postingstyle. I'm trying to have fun all the time and thus post in funny ways and may use one too many smilies. I'm the funny guy in the group

I don't believe I have missed the point of your posts. I read it, understood and answered/commented. If you believe I've missed something then point it out. I can't read minds    (If anyone else knows what he means then tell me).

I also wonder what you mean with my "bewildering arguments"....you mean like the one I did about KoTOR ?

April 9, 2012 2:59:01 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Looks interesting, but I want to see some specifics before I get my hopes up. The last thing Baldur's Gate needs is "streamlining" and "accessibility".

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000390   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.