The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Incoming: Baldur's Gate News

By on March 15, 2012 1:04:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
Seen this timer? Make sure you head over to baldursgate.com for an exciting announcement at noon pacific.
baldursgate.com

Saw this on Facebook today.
+1 Karma | 74 Replies
March 16, 2012 12:39:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
I would laugh so hard if the reboot ends up looking like XCOM.

On the same engine? Not very likely They even say they would like to keep compatibility with mods. I don't believe they'll manage that, but if they're considering that option then it means the game will be almost the same (with refreshed UI, rendering and stuff). I like it.

March 16, 2012 12:42:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,

That X-Com brings shame on an entire generation of gamers, and your sarcasm makes me sad.

March 16, 2012 12:42:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,

Which one? Because I'd actually be really happy if they went with turn & initiative based combat. Actually, that would probably be the deciding factor in me buying the game. Well, that and the 3e ruleset.

March 16, 2012 4:22:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A fucking "remake" in HD? Go to hell you fucking fake-hypers. I liked it better when I couldn't see shit.

Anybody looking forward to the many little "tweaks" to "improve gameplay" for the "broader audience" such as:

- every character is now Minsc

- removed armor class (note the ominous lack of a replacement)

- the max level is now 90, expect to be level 10 in the first hour. Players can still multiclass, which can be selected every 4 levels.

- getting ambushed while moving wasn't any fun, so they removed it

- no more guards in cities

March 16, 2012 10:56:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Damn, after the games where you kill zombies, now they try to sell zombified games. Can they just not let it rest in peace? At least, if they keep the same engine, they cannot screw up as horribly as with Fallout 3.

March 16, 2012 11:22:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually looking forward to this. I actually wish they would just remake alot of older games with updated graphics since its apparent that when they try to continue an old series the new generation of devs inevitably kill everything that fans of the series enjoyed.

March 16, 2012 11:39:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Fistalis,
Actually looking forward to this. I actually wish they would just remake alot of older games with updated graphics since its apparent that when they try to continue an old series the new generation of devs inevitably kill everything that fans of the series enjoyed.

Yes, agree! Of course the caveat is, as others have said, they don't mess with the original gameplay. If they just change the art and freshen the UI, I'm in for buying this.

March 16, 2012 11:49:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looking forward to it to.  I'm torn about the idea of remaking old classic games, on one hand you want a new version of something you once really enjoyed, but you don't want the new version to suck.  The big problem is that there are these gamers that refuse to look at anything objectively and also see any change in gameplay as heretical.  Some times they have legitimate complaints, but most of the time it's complete bullshit.

March 16, 2012 12:06:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Looking forward to it to.  I'm torn about the idea of remaking old classic games, on one hand you want a new version of something you once really enjoyed, but you don't want the new version to suck.  The big problem is that there are these gamers that refuse to look at anything objectively and also see any change in gameplay as heretical.  Some times they have legitimate complaints, but most of the time it's complete bullshit.

Well my deal on this Xia is if they want to make a completely new game and have me judge it purely on its own merits fine, then don't slap a well known series name on it and call it a sequel. Because when I buy superseries 5 I expect it to play similar to superseries 4.

Alls I ask is if they decide to take an IP in a completely different direction is slap a subtitle on it rather than a sequel and make it apparent to your customers that its nothing like the previous games. (and for the love of god don't call it a big sloppy kiss to your fans when you gut the whole system and start over) What pisses me off is games you can tell they just slapped the name on cause they knew X% of people would buy it on name recognition only to find out the game is really only part of the series in name only. Don't spend years building a working formula and then toss it in the trash and start all over then slap a 5 on the name.

You wanna cash in on the name recognition, thats fine. But don't be surprised if you piss off the fanbase when you change or remove a large chunk of systems. If you wanted the game judged on its own you wouldn't have tried cashing in on the name recognition.

Good Example.. Final fantasy Tactics. Sure its a final fantasy game.. but they make it apparent in the title that it doesn't play anything like the original series.

Bad example: Final fantasy XIV Its a GD MMO give it a subtitle or something shit. Final fantasy: Online would have been acceptable.

(final fantasy series is a bad example since just about every game in the series is based on a different lore etc but you get the point)

As to a full blown remake.. as long as your not gutting, changing etc systems, and are primarily just updating the graphics and adding some new additional content I don't see how you could screw it up.. but I've been surprised by devs before.

March 16, 2012 12:28:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Fistalis,

So maybe when "fans of the series" are dead, companies will be allowed to be creative (sometimes for good, sometimes for bad) with the licenses that they buy? Otherwise, seems better to leave the old IPs buried face down. New X-Com Enemy Unkown? Cancel it!!! Why? It's not going to be X-Com with better graphics!!! *inserts link to flame war about TUs*

I do agree with the feeling of offering "updated" versions of classics (as in working natively in Windows, possible bugs fixed and all that stuff without touching core content).

Meanwhile, I get a Hollywood feeling from "Enchanced" versions of games.

March 16, 2012 12:35:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What I just hope is that they will do a remake of... Planescape Torment ! THAT would be a must-buy.

March 16, 2012 12:49:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am still waiting for that remake of pong.

March 16, 2012 12:52:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,

Quoting Fistalis, reply 31Actually looking forward to this. I actually wish they would just remake alot of older games with updated graphics since its apparent that when they try to continue an old series the new generation of devs inevitably kill everything that fans of the series enjoyed.

So maybe when "fans of the series" are dead, companies will be allowed to be creative (sometimes for good, sometimes for bad) with the licenses that they buy? Otherwise, seems better to leave the old IPs buried face down. New X-Com Enemy Unkown? Cancel it!!! Why? It's not going to be X-Com with better graphics!!! *inserts link to flame war about TUs*

I do agree with the feeling of offering "updated" versions of classics (as in working natively in Windows, possible bugs fixed and all that stuff without touching core content).

Meanwhile, I get a Hollywood feeling from "Enchanced" versions of games.

Why would they need to use an existing IP if they want to be creative? Because its not about being creative its about milking the name

Again I have no issues if they want to take different directions for an IP.. but make it apparent in the name that its not a continuation of the series. Unfortunately doing this would defeat the purpose of them using the name most of the time, since they want people who are fans to buy the new one while at the same time removing the gameplay that made them fans. You do this by fooling them into thinking its just going to continue on the foundation the series has built by calling it a sequel.

I actually have no problem with XCOM: enemy unknown. Since  there is no implication of it being a sequel. If they named it X-COM 2 then I could understand people complaining. (notice the name isn't even the same. Older version being X-COM newer version being XCOM)

I won't buy it given 2ks recent record of releases.. but thats a different subject.

March 16, 2012 2:59:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,

See, I don't see it this way at all. They have access to many piles of good names if they want to do something *inspired by* another game. The problem for us rabid gaming fundamentalists is when they take something that was successful and then do MASSIVE changes to the fundamental identity of the game.

Examples:

Master of Orion 3: They took a game about strategic micromanagement of an empire and tried to turn it into a macro-management game where you had to have governors do the work, and you just direct the governors. MoO3 is NOT fundamentally a Master of Orion game. It is a space game with the MoO franchise name. Massive Failure.

Fallout 3: Admittedly, this is probably the "best" example of a successful fundamental rework of IP, but those of you who really loved the first three games can't tell me that you weren't just a little disappointed to see that it went real time FPS instead of isometric and turn based. Yeah, there was VATS but that was a sorry nod to the days of yore. Similar writing, similar world, but the underlying system is radically and fundamentally different from the original games. For the record, I enjoy Fallout 3, I just think that it was erroneously named.

X-Com Enforcer: Real Time, mission based Third Person Shooter. "Research" added to make it look like it might be a true X-Com game. Massive Failure.

I know that this is going to come of as incredibly ironic to those of you who read my posts in the FE threads, but one way in which I think that FE is a really good  example of how to properly tribute awesome games. Totally different name, many similar features, but enough of a different focus that it's got its own identity (and yes, I would love nothing more than someone to slap city production queues and new graphics/sound onto MoM and sell it to me, but I can gracefully accept that that's not what Elemental is).

Back to original point, if you are going to utilize an IP, you need to either CLEARLY differentiate it as a fundamentally different game or create new on top of the existing fundamentals. Otherwise choose a new name.

March 16, 2012 3:25:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Malsqueek,

Fallout 3: Admittedly, this is probably the "best" example of a successful fundamental rework of IP, but those of you who really loved the first three games can't tell me that you weren't just a little disappointed to see that it went real time FPS instead of isometric and turn based. Yeah, there was VATS but that was a sorry nod to the days of yore. Similar writing, similar world, but the underlying system is radically and fundamentally different from the original games. For the record, I enjoy Fallout 3, I just think that it was erroneously named.

I wasn't disappointed at all.  I played fallout 1 and 2 when they were released, was a huge fan.  I love Fallout 3 more than those.  Actually, its this specific example of why I am torn about these arguments.  As there was so much vitriol spewed about FO3, that I can no longer take gamers seriously about any of their opinions.  

March 16, 2012 3:48:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Why would they update it to an outdated system?  That being said, I wish they would update it to 3rd edition...yes I just said it was outdated, but I liked that system...

2.5 Edition Rules were the best D&D rules ever used. That's not an opinion, that's a widely known fact.

Quoting Malsqueek,
Just so long as they stay the heck away from 4e ruleset. Don't need to see them trying to sell Baldur's World of WarGates.

Amen

Quoting seanw3,

LoL, yeah I would too but I'm certain it's not that kind of remake. It's more or less on the same engine as the original. It's just a HD remake of the series with some small new stuff being added by some of the original team. Think about the HD remake of the original Bionic Commando on consoles a few years back, not the new Bionic Commando reboot that came out. That's what this is.

With the new content all I expect is some new but minor editions of things the original devs probably wanted to add but couldn't because of time constraints or budget. It'll probably have some updated lighting effects and enhanced spell effects, but visually even with a modern HD upgrade there's only so much you can do on that engine.

March 16, 2012 3:56:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting LightofAbraxas,
Which one? Because I'd actually be really happy if they went with turn & initiative based combat.

Turn and Initiative are both taken into account and used in the 2.5 edition rule set they used in Baldurs Gate. If they're really just updating the original game (and to me that's what they're advertising that they're doing), they'll stick with the original's rule set. I know the original game made initiative roles/checks.

March 16, 2012 5:03:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree that AD&D was my favorite ruleset

March 17, 2012 2:55:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Enhanced version of Baldurs Gate & II....

If they make the game easier to understand than BG, II and Icewind Dale & II then I'm willing to try it.

I tried Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II, BG, BG II like five years ago and thought they were confusing and strange. Custom party, select weapon proficiency..?   Ehrm....*selects a premade goodguy party*

160% difficulty (or whatever it was in BG II), attack like the first enemies and one sucker in my party always died....WTF is up with that?!?

Same thing with both Icewind Dales....at the time I thought they were weird games in that you couldn't control where they go but an enhanced version I'm gonna try.

March 17, 2012 7:25:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Campaigner,
Enhanced version of Baldurs Gate & II....

If they make the game easier to understand than BG, II and Icewind Dale & II then I'm willing to try it.

I tried Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II, BG, BG II like five years ago and thought they were confusing and strange. Custom party, select weapon proficiency..?   Ehrm....*selects a premade goodguy party*

160% difficulty (or whatever it was in BG II), attack like the first enemies and one sucker in my party always died....WTF is up with that?!?

Same thing with both Icewind Dales....at the time I thought they were weird games in that you couldn't control where they go but an enhanced version I'm gonna try.

This entire post makes me sad.

March 17, 2012 10:25:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Campaigner,

Don't count on it. They'll use the same engine, just enhance it (I hope for more smooth animations). They'll keep the same AD&D rules. They'll basically re-make the game with a slightly better graphics and more comfortable UI. At least I hope so. (I don't like every aspect of 2nd edition rules, but it's not that important.)

Quoting Kodiak888,
This entire post makes me sad.

Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series probably are just not for Campaigner. That's it. Don't tell you're sad because not everyone shares your view of a good computer game. That would be... strange.

March 18, 2012 3:06:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The modding community did pretty amazing things to BG1 and BG2 back then. So while if I find it interesting (it might spark all kinds of hopes if it's a success...) I fear without the most essential mods it won't be the thing for me. 

Anyway, speaking of classics, here's an idea.... what about a MoM remale?  *hides* 

March 18, 2012 10:01:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mastroego,
Anyway, speaking of classics, here's an idea.... what about a MoM remale?  *hides* 

March 18, 2012 1:43:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

no, he meant turning a feminine game into something much more masculine... that's what a "remale" is, right? 

March 19, 2012 2:15:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Gandhialf,

Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series probably are just not for Campaigner. That's it. Don't tell you're sad because not everyone shares your view of a good computer game. That would be... strange.

It's okay if they're not for him; he doesn't have to buy and enjoy them for the masterpieces they are. What makes me sad is the mass simplification of games in today's market, and those who would rather have such simple games instead of actually having to think.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.