The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Incoming: Baldur's Gate News

By on March 15, 2012 1:04:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
Seen this timer? Make sure you head over to baldursgate.com for an exciting announcement at noon pacific.
baldursgate.com

Saw this on Facebook today.
+1 Karma | 74 Replies
March 15, 2012 1:36:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Prediction:

Bioware: Soviet Studios Presents....

BG III: 

A tactical based first person shooter. You play John Henry, an over-muscled beat cop with a grdge against ferrets and zombies. Sent back in time to war against enemies that only seem hide behind chest high walls, your mission is to close the oblivion gates to prevent the developers from patching the game!

March 15, 2012 1:53:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Prediction:

Bioware: Soviet Studios Presents....

BG III: 

A tactical based first person shooter. You play John Henry, an over-muscled beat cop with a grdge against ferrets and zombies. Sent back in time to war against enemies that only seem hide behind chest high walls, your mission is to close the oblivion gates to prevent the developers from patching the game!

Hmm, don't really get that joke...

March 15, 2012 1:57:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You forget one important thing. Ninjas. And Pirates.

And... Oh well ! Dinosaurus !

March 15, 2012 2:00:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Who is even making this game?  Do we even know what game this is?  It is really BG3?  Or just BG1+2 being rereleased?

March 15, 2012 2:01:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bioware is now an EA logo, not a talented development group. I was just venting on how all of our favorite games are having sequels that ruin the franchise. I rather expect that from this one too. But I only expect these things to avoid disappointment. Expect nothing and never be let down.

March 15, 2012 2:23:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I expect a re-release. Considering the direction taken with the Dragon Age franchise after Origins, any new release would be such a disappointment to the original fans. -insert- "streamlining" "accessibility" "appealing to wider audience and new players"

March 15, 2012 2:29:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

According to this, it is not Bioware, but a former Bioware employee. Whether this is truth, rumor, or a mix, I suppose that is still anyone's guess.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/63825/New-Baldur-s-Gate-Game-In-Development-Teaser-Site-Live

March 15, 2012 2:31:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Who knows? Maybe it will be a superior game. I give 1 in 100 odds.

March 15, 2012 2:37:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Bioware is now an EA logo, not a talented development group. I was just venting on how all of our favorite games are having sequels that ruin the franchise. I rather expect that from this one too. But I only expect these things to avoid disappointment. Expect nothing and never be let down.

I admit that Bioware has disappointed me the last few games, I haven't attempted ME3 yet.  Pretty much since they were purchased by EA.  DA:O was the last thing they created that I really liked.  

March 15, 2012 2:46:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Leo in WI,
According to this, it is not Bioware, but a former Bioware employee. Whether this is truth, rumor, or a mix, I suppose that is still anyone's guess.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/63825/New-Baldur-s-Gate-Game-In-Development-Teaser-Site-Live

That's what I gathered too.  My guess is a HD remake.

March 15, 2012 3:01:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Who knows? Maybe it will be a superior game. I give 1 in 100 odds.

Let's bet Karma, I'll take those odds

March 15, 2012 3:18:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bet taken. 

March 15, 2012 4:38:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What did we find out?  Anything?  I looked at the page and it had the counter at 0, but didnt give me anything else.  Facebook game?

March 15, 2012 4:52:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not sure if it's legit, but came across this in the pcgamer comments: http://www.beamdog.com/files/newsletters/BGEE/bgannounce.jpg

March 15, 2012 4:58:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

link

BG I and II being remade! I'll buy it!

March 15, 2012 5:14:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Scared of releasing new games becuase of rabid fans that only want "new stuff like the old stuff"? Try a remake!

Hint to Atari: MoM Enhanced = Profit.

March 15, 2012 5:20:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Hawawaa,
link

BG I and II being remade! I'll buy it!

On the same remade Infinity Engine, not 3D! I think I love them. I hope they'll incorporate new D&D rules and include Throne of Bhaal.

edit: They will include ToB! source

edit2: They'll keep 2nd Edition D&D rules for BG1 (source). THAC0, we meet again...

March 15, 2012 5:23:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ooh, this sounds pretty neat.  Been forever since I played that game.  Loved it at the time.  

March 15, 2012 5:37:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hope its just a "betterified" engine with more content and same old everything else. If so, score. If they start changing everything, you know they will just break it.

March 15, 2012 5:43:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmm, not realy sure what to make of this. Will this be a huge improvement when compared to some of the awesome mods that are out there? Or just slightly better graphics and a few new side quests?

March 15, 2012 11:23:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting AragornV,
"streamlining" "accessibility" "appealing to wider audience and new players"

Aka a corporate friendly way to say "We dumbed down the original to save money and because we know you're all stupid.".

In reality though, they're making both BG 1&2 and the expansions as "Enhanced Editions" and supposedly many members of the team who made the original are adding new content. As long as they actually stay TRUE to the original I'm all in. It's been years since I re-played through the whole BG Saga. For those gamers who haven't done so, do it. You'll see why most modern RPG's pale in comparison, I promise.

March 15, 2012 11:31:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Seems like shovelware to me.

Having said that, I'd probably buy it if they updated to 3rd edition, included everything from the original and expansion, and had plenty of new content.

March 16, 2012 12:05:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why would they update it to an outdated system?  That being said, I wish they would update it to 3rd edition...yes I just said it was outdated, but I liked that system...

March 16, 2012 12:19:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just so long as they stay the heck away from 4e ruleset. Don't need to see them trying to sell Baldur's World of WarGates.

March 16, 2012 12:33:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would laugh so hard if the reboot ends up looking like XCOM.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.