The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Mass Effect 3 - is it any good?

By on March 6, 2012 9:50:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I tried to play ME 2 and i got bored in a middle of it, particularly by mining stupid planets. 

I was not really impressed by the story, but to say the truth i find almost all stories boring after playing so many years - for good stories i read good books  

Thus, is ME 3 in any way different? Better? Great? 

(interested mostly in opinions of experienced players)

+2 Karma | 53 Replies
March 9, 2012 9:19:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OsirisDawn,

Quoting TorinReborn, reply 22Well F3 is garbage (when compared to F1 & 2). I tried it for 1h and uninstalled.

So you didnt even finish the tutorial part?

Your opinion on this is worthless.

I did finish tutorial part. Had that first fight on exit. Got to first "city" (LOL city), roamed a bit and then uninstalled.

March 21, 2012 2:09:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

IMO ME3 was good in the beginning, but got really sloppy in the endgame. Pretty much saw what was coming when i got halfway through. it is that predictable, and they pulled a "Matrix" on us. Some nice twists here and there, but on side quests and anti-cerberus missions. The endgame itself was way too much like the matrix. Mass Effect went out with a whimper instead of a bang. Bugs n glitches didnt help it at all.

One thing about the ME3 story that really bugged me... Where the hell is Harbinger?? He is mentioned several times in ME3, but is never seen, or heard from again since the end of ME2. I was fully expecting Harbinger to taunt Shepard throughout the whole game. It never happened.

March 21, 2012 2:25:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you didn't like ME2, you won't like ME3. ME3 is like ME2 but the writing is even weaker and less consistent, and the game as a whole is sloppier and less polished.

March 21, 2012 3:52:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One of the early lore/codex entries tells you where Harbinger is - *very minor spoiler* - its the main Reaper assaulting earth.  So its there, just not thrust in your face as much.

I actually think ME3 is probably the best of the series for the most part (not so much the end, I really think there will be a DLC expansion of the end).  The combat is especially more refined.  A lot more flanking, more emphasis on movement, elevations, different tactics for different units.  Less find one cover and pop up shoot pop up, etc.  Also the weapon/ modding system I think was really done properly.  Lots of choice, lots of mods, but easy to manage.  They got it right IMO.  Scanning/ exploration was okay.  I missed the vehicle scenes in earlier games, but not too badly.

Plot . .well you might find it corny and cliche, or you might find it moving.  It does suffer from trying to tie together a lot of the plot points from the previous games, and resolve characters plots rather than focus on its own unique story all the time . .but I think it was well done.  To me, I think ME3 had some of the humorous moments and some of the more poignant ones. So, since it made me have a much stronger emotional reaction than most games, I have to give it props. 

The multiplayer is a bit buggy, but quite playable most of the time.  Very focused on weapon/ skill unlocks.  You can get any of the full endings without doing it, so its not critical (there is one small scene that takes a very high warscore that most player will need a few rounds of multiplayer to achieve).  Seems like they're trying to do community events and the like to keep it lively.

Setting it up was a chore, origin is a bit of a pain, and there are some bugged quests/ dialogues (especially towards the end I had invisible characters in convos due to bugged camera angles, or people looking the wrong way).  Other than the setup, I felt it was pretty forgivable for something so complex, and I think a few patches should clear up the little issues.

So won't be everyone's cup of tea, especially if you hate ME2 style combat, or are so deeply involved with ME universe lore that the deviations will enrage you.  But to me it was a very good game, one that was definitely worth my time, and I'm sure I'll play again.

March 21, 2012 3:57:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting FallingStar0280,
So won't be everyone's cup of tea, especially if you hate ME2 style combat, or are so deeply involved with ME universe lore that the deviations will enrage you.
In other words, if you don't like Mass Effect, you won't like it, and if you do like Mass Effect then you really won't like it.

March 21, 2012 3:59:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've been following the events with that game.

Some of the things the developers are starting to consider "acceptable enough" in order to meet a deadline are just plain unbelievable. I mean there's this alien girl with a masked face. Fans are waiting to see what she looks like. What do they do? They pull a stock photo from Google, and poorly photoshop a few "elvish" features on her face. Note that her hands are supposed to be 3-fingered and very differently shaped than humans'. So what do they do to fix that? They just delete the model's outermost fingers!!! I don't know if even an amateurish production would dare to be so shamelessly cheap.

The endings differentiated by 3 different color palettes are even worse. Just look it up on Youtube or something. Anyway, the backlash over this and a dozen bigger issues is reaching DA2 levels, or worse. Speaking of which: apparently they had to discontinue a planned DLC for DA2, and won't be releasing a DA2 Ultimate Edition: no retailer is willing to put it on the shelves, so that's been canned too.

I really don't know how meaningful are the numbers of the online community. It's entirely possible that the casual gamers are more than enough to keep a big company's business alive. Yet such cheap production tricks almost seem like desperate moves from the outside, and could be the first, seemingly unnoticeable signs of a big company's eventual demise. Again this puts Stardock's efforts to redeem itself in a whole new light, despite any problems I might have with specific design choices. 

March 21, 2012 4:11:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm almost at 50% of the game, and I must say it's really enjoyable.

I've been reading some spoilers about the ending and alot of people raging because "they don't have a happy end", sorry but does every game need a happy end? IMO: no. Although, there are some plot holes in it, I still like it. (note I've not completed the game, only read/seen it on YT).

March 21, 2012 4:46:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cruxador,

In other words, if you don't like Mass Effect, you won't like it, and if you do like Mass Effect then you really won't like it.

More like if you hate 3rd Person shooters you'll dislike it anyways. And if you're the sort of person that will rage at a star trek book for not having 100% proper cannon, etc then you might be disappointed at ME3 as well, since it squeezed out some of the earlier lore/plots to fit into the scope of a game that could be told in 40-50 hours.

If such things don't cause you to rage, then you're probably good to go.  To me, a few things I wish were different doesn't ruin an entire game.  A texture I don't like doesn't make the entire game a technical failure with horrible graphics or utter tripe only fit for the zombified masses, etc.

Its worth playing IMO.  More than a lot of games.  But if someone reading this is wondering if its worth their cash, try the demo, Its a pretty good representation of the combat and plot wise some of the weaker stuff in the game, so if you can handle the "bad bits" of the plot there, you'll probably be quite pleased with the full game.

March 21, 2012 9:53:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting FallingStar0280,

Quoting Cruxador, reply 30

More like if you hate 3rd Person shooters you'll dislike it anyways. And if you're the sort of person that will rage at a star trek book for not having 100% proper cannon, etc then you might be disappointed at ME3 as well, since it squeezed out some of the earlier lore/plots to fit into the scope of a game that could be told in 40-50 hours.

If such things don't cause you to rage, then you're probably good to go.  To me, a few things I wish were different doesn't ruin an entire game.  A texture I don't like doesn't make the entire game a technical failure with horrible graphics or utter tripe only fit for the zombified masses, etc.

Its worth playing IMO.  More than a lot of games.  But if someone reading this is wondering if its worth their cash, try the demo, Its a pretty good representation of the combat and plot wise some of the weaker stuff in the game, so if you can handle the "bad bits" of the plot there, you'll probably be quite pleased with the full game.

I don't agree with you. It is not worth playing for 60$. Maybe 10$. Most of the time it feels more like an expansion for ME2 and it is even worse then that could be.

March 21, 2012 11:11:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'll probably get it once the entire trilogy can be found in the bargain bin or something. I had fun with ME1 and would like to continue the story, but what I hear about 2 and 3 makes playing them a low priority.

Quoting TorinReborn,

I did finish tutorial part. Had that first fight on exit. Got to first "city" (LOL city), roamed a bit and then uninstalled.

What was your problem with Megaton? That is was very small to be called a city? Because I would agree with that, Most of them feel more like outposts for a town than an actual town. Arefu, Bigtown, and Canturbury Commons were even worse. But this is in part a development problem (can spend a lot of time making towns bigger, but unless it has a function it will just seem like filler) that fallout 1&2 had as well (vault city had like what, 20 buildings? Most of them just filler), and in part a setting 'problem'. The capitol wasteland being what it is, it can't really sustain large populations. Although you have to wonder how all those raiders survive, and how they haven't wiped everyone else of the map already.

Anyway, probably can't change your mind about this game so I won't try. Let it suffice to say I had a lot of fun with it once I installed a bunch of mods that made the game harder, more realistic, and added lots of content. Navigating through ghoul infested subways became quite scary, but still preferable to fighting through hordes of super mutants and raiders downtown. In the surrounding wastelands the danger might not be lurking behind every corner, but with all the added monsters and npc's, every journey was an adventure. Getting back to Megaton afterwards really felt like coming home...

Might take a look at New Vegas once I'm done with my current games. The mods for that should have matured nicely by now..

March 21, 2012 11:58:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

MASSIVE SPOLIERS!!!!!!!!

Is the ending really the same regardless of what you choose?? That is pretty lame.

March 21, 2012 1:25:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Tasunke,
MASSIVE SPOLIERS!!!!!!!!

Is the ending really the same regardless of what you choose?? That is pretty lame.

Aside from a differently-colored Crucible beam, yes.

March 23, 2012 12:45:27 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I liked Mass Effect 1. I REALLY liked Mass Effect 2. ME3 plays just like ME2 which is not a bad thing at all. Plus they added some good stuff to the combat. There is NOTHING wrong with the combat at all. However combat is only part of the ME RPG experience.

2/3rds of the game (side quests, and all) is very GOOD. The story set the mood, and built up to the climactic endgame. However the final missions, and dialog seem very "rushed", and inconsistent. What the spoilers above said are what pretty much killed it for me. I never expected a happily ever after ending. ME3 was dark from the get go. It was doomsday after all. I wont say more, because we don't want to spoil it for those that didn't finish the game yet. The ending was just rushed almost in a KOTOR 2 kind of way.

I did see Harbinger in the final battle, but it didnt utter a word. It just blew stuff up.

March 23, 2012 12:57:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Major Stress,
The ending was just rushed almost in a KOTOR 2 kind of way.

Indeed, Kotor II had the story potential and mechanics to be better than the original Kotor. It was Lucas Arts own fault for rushing it the way they did that so killed the implementation. At least some of the missing stuff was able to get added with mods. I doubt the "Revised Ending" that Bioware/EA is now doing will really do it justice.

March 25, 2012 5:45:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I loved the game, but it was too short, played on insane level, did all the side quests, had the DLC and still it was over in one weekend.

I liked how the battles on earth FELT like a real war (lots of noise and big weapons going on all around and you just worried about the next two feet and ignore the huge cannons going on over head.  

Lots of people complained about the ending, but it was still a really good game, but you could tell the ending was ... rushed. Maybe they ran out of time.

So which ending did you pick, the Red, Blue or Green ending?

I picked Red for my first time thought, and Green for the second. (Insane level)

March 25, 2012 11:45:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Indeed the game itself was pretty good despite being shorter than 1, and 2. They didn't spare the sarcasm, or comedy in the right places. I got to punch al jalani again lol. EDI's wise cracks got funnier. Jarik was refreshing especially with Wrex "Wrex- I like my Salarian liver "raw"!... Glares from the Salarian troops surrounding him. Jarik- "Salarian Liver was a prothean delicacy in my cycle".. Even more Glares from the Salarians LOL!

I am starting to see how it is possible that Shepard himself could have been indoctrinated since ME 2, and this is all a part of the reaper plan (its all a dream Shepard).

Funny how the paragon ending is blue. I would have loved to hear him mock Harbinger by saying "assuming control" before throwing the switch. That ending itself wouldn't have been crap if it was only one of many outcomes, but all the outcomes were identical no matter which path you chose. Like goafan said i hope the revised endings change. At least according to your reputation, paragon, or renegade choices.

March 26, 2012 5:30:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What I cannot believe that people expectations have gotten so low they accept crap like ME3 or Skyrim now. Give me some fancy graphics and some VO and cinematic and I will love you?

Throw in some FPS elements and endless waves of enemies and gameplay is good? Seriously?!

March 26, 2012 9:28:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Peoples expectations of "eye candy" are very high. Peoples expectations of game play itself are very low. Which pretty much sums up damn near every 3rd, or FPS. They may think its good game play to gun, or beat down hordes of AI enemy's, but I mean how freaking hard can it be to point a targeting reticule, and click? Or in the case of DA2.. Walkity, walkity, walk... Stabity, stabity, stab. Maybe you will find an RPG plot in there somewhere in the dialog that made no sense. Maybe you wont. I found the game pointless. Just like damn near every other 3rd, or FPS.

The mass effect series at least "tries" to make you use your head, but this is an exception not the rule of 1st, or 3rd person shooters. Grand Theft Auto 4 is another exception because it is a parody, and makes a mockery of 1st/3rd person shooters. There is no story, and there is no plot. Its not meant to make any sense. You shoot, and blow crap up pretty much "because you can". Least Rockstar made NO secret of that lol.

March 26, 2012 10:22:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well this is what Bioware said following the criticism:

"Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey”.

I dunno if its just me but that just sounds like new expansion packs and more games to buy rather than fixing the issues in the game ME3. May answer some questions but will probably still leave the same aftertaste for ME3 which might very possibly remain unchanged.

EA... you just take/sometimes make beautiful art and quite frequently smash it on spiky rocks. Spend a little more time polishing your s%$t in the future please? 

March 28, 2012 3:08:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hehe ... new DLC for each ending perhaps?

watch it be "buy this DLC to watch the cinematic epilogue!!"  5 dollars for a cutscene?

March 31, 2012 10:47:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The only way they will unscrew this up is to create totally different endings for each path you took (plus depending on what you did, or didnt do in the past 2 games). Ill buy the current ending as a renegade option. Shep unwittingly helps the Reapers because of his bad choices. Much in the same way Saren did in ME1. Shep thought he was in control, but in fact he was Indoctrinated. Just like TIM was, but the reapers needed Shep to "Assume Direct Control" not TIM.

we better NOT have to pay for updated endings.

Right now i am not even arsed to replay the game until the updates.

April 4, 2012 12:44:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ending don't make sence, I think that what major people wasn't happy, or so I thought.

April 5, 2012 9:07:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ME3 is easily worse then ME2 by a mile, you can tell the team gave up and got lazy.  There are tonnes of bad hollywood dialogue as well.  The new character James vega is a total idiot.  Way too many unskippable cut-scenes which will make replaying it a chore for those who tend to want to play through their games more then once.

ME3 outside of the story and cut-scenes is fun to play but ME3 really feels like it's taking place in an alternate mass effect universe because the quality is just so ham-fisted, especially towards the end.  The quality of the art and cinematics is still there but they left a bunch of stuff in the game that should have been cut.  The worst part is the stupid dream sequences with the kid that you can't friggin skip.

Pick it up at the bargain bin, it's worth 1 playthrough just to 'finish' what you started but don't expect much from it.

April 6, 2012 2:59:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting niz032,
ME3 is easily worse then ME2 by a mile, you can tell the team gave up and got lazy.  There are tonnes of bad hollywood dialogue as well.  The new character James vega is a total idiot.  Way too many unskippable cut-scenes which will make replaying it a chore for those who tend to want to play through their games more then once.

Unskippable cutscenes, like Savepoints in other games, are just a cheap trick to extend a game's duration, since nowadays everyone logs the playing time and the PR machine has to b**t you about those 30+ hours, 40+ hours etc.

Making them skippable would be ONE LINE of code. They purposefully make them unskippable. I hate being treated like an idiot. I may well be one, but still I hate being treated as such.

I think Bioware is going down. Not today, not the day after tomorrow, but it IS going down. I'm preordering Legend of Grimrock today, BTW. I will actively support the indie developers from now on. 

April 7, 2012 10:42:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes, it's so strange that small mostly try to do good job and they do, indeed they may be blessed, but I can't said same for all, some had a goal but not filling, ah well, sadly when small team or single team did make game good and sell well, they grew bigger, company become larger, then later it's become corrpt along way, then big company become greed, and no longer pro making a "good" game. and fell, I guess what rise go up, they fall, rise, fall. hmmm not much diffent as nation rise and fell.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000625   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.