The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

SWTOR is losing appeal

By on February 16, 2012 2:48:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So i'm starting to not want to play SWTOR anymore. The missions are so repetitive. The pvp feels very unepic(not a word I know). And I can never find people to do FPs. And I haven't had sgueuccess in finding a guild that is mature and won't tolerate derogatory language in chat that is of decent size and fairly active. Le sigh.Just venting. Anyone else hitting this wall?

+8 Karma | 36 Replies
February 16, 2012 2:52:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hit this wall about 3 weeks ago.  It's a shallow game.  Story and voice acting isn't enough for me, I guess.  I will probably go back to it and try some more.  I got one character to 47 and another to 32, so I think I played it enough to get an honest opinion, and that opinion is that it is a shallow game gilded in Star Wars appeal.

February 16, 2012 3:03:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I still like it, but the parts that annoy me are anything that reminds me I am playing an MMO. As your level increases, it becomes more apparent. 

February 16, 2012 6:44:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That was expected from day 1.

Story doesn't form the basis for holding a player base. Gameplay, mechanics, and progression are far more important.

Bioware is making money out of it, and there will always be a player base for any MMO based on starwars.

February 16, 2012 8:09:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Its a story based game.  Story based games will rarely hold people for over 2 months, which is right about where SWTOR is right now.

February 16, 2012 8:24:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@ OP

Don't do every single mission you can.  I found focusing on the story missions with a few (only a few) side quests works much better at keeping one interested.  Also the Heroics and a few PVP matches put together enable "easy-level-mode".

If you're finding the population lacking, think about re-rolling on a different server.  I have done so multiple times.

PVP warzones are boring to me as well (I only use them to level).......the open-world PVP is however much much more satisfying.

In a lot of ways the game actually does 'begin' with level 50.  While I've enjoyed the stories I have at least one character in each class at the moment (of course only one of my characters is a lvl 50) and it is obvious that once you reach 50 there are plenty of other things one can do.

1.  Hunt for all of the datacrons.

2.  get the crystals you need to perform the 'museum' missions.

3.  get a complete set of both the endgame PVP and/or PVE gear.  (this one has been keeping me occupied for quite some time now).

4.  Find a guild interested in the high-level RAIDS and even inventing raids (ie. group up and take over a reb-controlled base/area just for the fun of it which trust me would be one hell of an achievement).

Again, if your server is too empty re-roll on another with more people.  Don't worry about losing your character progression.  A good solid guild more than makes up for that.  You'll have guild mates sending you (or crafting it for you) the gear you need and running you through the FP's and Heroics which will level you back to your old level and beyond. 

If you stay on a server with limited pop or guilds of course the game is going to feel like a grind and become a chore.  Take action. 

February 16, 2012 11:26:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've never played an MMO that didn't turn into a dull repetitive grind. Hence why I never play MMOs anymore regardless of how interesting they look.

February 17, 2012 2:07:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Pretty sure everyone (except biodrones) knew this would happen from day one. Only surprise is that modern Bioware managed to make a game that lasted even this long.

February 17, 2012 8:24:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I finally believe now that Dragon Age Origins was Bioware's swan song.  I'm not even looking forward to ME3...and it should be a major event in my nerd life.

February 17, 2012 3:45:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bioware sent me an email that says "Qyzen Fess misses the adventure!"  And "Qyzen Fess eagerly awaits your return".  Maybe if Qyzen Fess should shut the fuck up.

February 17, 2012 4:32:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
I finally believe now that Dragon Age Origins was Bioware's swan song.  I'm not even looking forward to ME3...and it should be a major event in my nerd life.

I hear ya. The inclusion of multiplayer is beyond troubling. After the disasterous jump from DA:O to DA2 I'm really concerned about ME3. It was miraculous that EA didn't ruin 2 (too much, except for the horrible planet scanning and the 1,000,000 pieces of mediocre DLC). I'll still be playing 3, but didn't buy DA2 and SWTOR for a reason: I want an epic, single player, PC-based RPG. Bioware was once the best - and practically the only - company making them. Now they don't.

February 17, 2012 6:38:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What is the main thing which made DA2 worse than DA:O?

I haven't played DA2 (or bought it yet) but the story seems decent (although I am dissapointed it doesn't seem like the hero ventures into the 'shade' like in DA:O. very interested in the Black City )

February 17, 2012 9:27:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tasunke,

I haven't played DA2 (or bought it yet) but the story seems decent (although I am dissapointed it doesn't seem like the hero ventures into the 'shade' like in DA:O. very interested in the Black City )
Gameplay is "consolized", or made very simple. Everything unique, interesting, or otherwise fun has been removed. The writing is also pretty bad; although DA:O wasn't super remarkable in that area either it did have some high points.

February 17, 2012 9:47:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Tasunke,

Lack of a good "story" for one. Which was a big surprise for me considering Bioware "was" the masters at telling a good story in their RPG games (NWN, KOTOR, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect). DA2 was nothing more IMO than a repetitive side quest grind that rivaled most MMO's. Difference was there was voice acting in DA2. It got old really fast. Endgame was like "Seriously? That's It?! Is there a PLOT somewhere? because i failed to find it!"

Played Everything Bioware to date. "Almost" went into SWTOR, but couldnt really afford to play another MMO. Will play ME3. I thought ME2 was better than ME1. I am expecting ME3 to be on par with ME2 as long as they dont pull a ridiculous endgame. Like killing the reapers with a computer virus, or turning shepard into "Neo".

February 17, 2012 9:52:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

NWN had a pretty lackluster story too.

February 17, 2012 9:57:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmm. So you fight a battle with Darkspawn in the beginning, then go through a treck in the Deep, and then decide the fate of one single city? (mage vs templars).

Sounds a bit small scale for a Dragon Age game. I mean, they could have had a branching story path after the Mages vs Templars battles, where you either lead the mage rebellion or do more Templars-fighting-darkspawn-and-bloodmages stuff. Maybe try to put down a 'canonically inevitable' mage down rebellion instead.

I dunno, what do you think? I liked Origins because it had a pretty world-relevant Plot line, had a natural progression, and had some cool stops along the way (the Shade/Dreamland/Demons Land).

It'd be cool if the Mage line involved trying to keep the Mage rebellion out of the influence of Demons ... and perhaps involving a few more treks into the Shade.

February 17, 2012 10:00:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Cruxador,
NWN had a pretty lackluster story too.

True, but gameplay at the time more than made up for it. DA2 wasnt so lucky.

February 18, 2012 9:45:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ad Bioware mastery - did you know that EA started to rename other dev team it owns to capitalize on Bioware's popularity?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38905/EA_Kickstarts_BioWare_Social_Division_With_KlickNation_Acquisition.php

Seems there is a number of "Bioware" teams working on totally unrelated projects.

February 18, 2012 9:48:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

which developed Facebook titles such as Dragon Age Legends and Mirror's Edge 2D, both of which targeted a hardcore audience.

laaaaame

(trying to capitalize on the name bioware by selling crappy games to 'hardcore' gamers ....) not cool 

February 18, 2012 10:33:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's why they call themselves the "Evil Alliance"

February 18, 2012 12:15:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is it Lawful Evil? Neutral Evil, or Chaotic Evil?

February 18, 2012 1:17:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

EA created a new studio, Victory Games, to develop CnC games in the aftermath of CnC 4, then about a year later renamed them to BioWare Victory.

February 18, 2012 1:25:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting EmersonPF,
It was miraculous that EA didn't ruin 2 (too much, except for the horrible planet scanning and the 1,000,000 pieces of mediocre DLC)

Overlord was incredible, One of my favorite missions in the whole game.

February 18, 2012 4:11:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lawful Evil.

February 18, 2012 8:21:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would vote fore Neutral Evil. They don't give a damn about principles, so they can't be lawful, and they are not impulsive enough to be chaotic. I would go with plain, neutral evil - they are happy as long as they can buy developers and screw and mess their games, as long as their hell-born MS Excel suits can "streamline" the gameplay and depth out of former decent titles. 

Their ultimate game will be Pong 3D:

Multiplayer? check

Streamlined? check (only two buttons, the gameplay will be 2D, only the paddles will look 3D)

Accessible? check

Playable on consoles? You bet

Rating? For all age groups! Wonderful!

Replayable? Infinitely, as long as you can be cheered by wiggling a paddle to hit a ball.

February 18, 2012 9:36:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Lawful Evil.

True

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.