The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Pinned Post

Welcome to the public beta

By on January 19, 2012 11:48:42 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Greetings!

It has been a long time. But the day of the public beta for Elemental: Fallen Enchantress has finally arrived.

How you will get it

If you were part of the original beta (pre-ordered the game) the game will automatically be added to your Stardock account this afternoon around 3pm EST.  At that point, you can go to http://download.stardock.com to download and install it.

What is in the beta?

The beta includes an interactive tutorial plus the full sandbox game.

What are we looking for in this beta?

First and foremost, bugs. Specifically, video and sound related ones. And crashes. We always want to hear about crashes.  In addition, we are interested in your suggestions to improve the game particularly in areas of user interface and game balance.

How are along is this beta?

It’s pretty far. The version you will be receiving is version 0.75.  That said, there are a long list of known issues with it that you will likely notice immediately.  For starters, you will likely see graphical glitches like this. It’s known and should be fixed by the first update which will be next Thursday.

What should you do if you have a problem?

If you run into a problem, like a game crash there will be a file in your \programdata\stardock\elemental – fallen enchantress direcotry. It’ll be a ZIP file which will contain a debug.err (always helpful) and a crash dump file.  Send that to us at [email protected] subject: Fallen Enchantress report.

Also, if you have some sort of issue like even getting the game to start or something, in your \documents\my games\stardock\fallenenchantress directory will be the most recent debug.err. That will tell us all kinds of information about your system that we can use to troubleshoot.

How about those who want to get into the beta?

We will be gradually adding more people to the beta in the coming weeks. Eventually, anyone who bought Elemental: War of Magic in 2010 or earlier will get Elemental: Fallen Enchantress for free.  Users who purchased War of Magic in 2011 will get a discount that they can use to purchase Fallen Enchantress and join the beta.  For everyone else, we plan to open the doors completely in a few weeks.

We are very excited to hear what you think.  There is no NDA on this so you are free to give your impressions (good or bad) as you see fit. We hope you like what we’ve done here. Let us know!

For new users: Here are our Survival Tips!

Screenshots:

Arena Done city_details

Full Cave image

image image

+912 Karma | 100 Replies
January 19, 2012 3:34:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting dowdyhoody,
Not a good sign......................nothing is showing on my download page but my ability to download War of Magic again.  Maybe pre-ordering through Amazon put me in the back of the line

I believe you are correct. The pre-order being talked about is directly from Stardock which gave us beta access to E:WoM the first go around. Amazon's pre-order isn't quite the same thing.

January 19, 2012 3:35:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just a suggestion, but I think that it needs to be clarified that only those who pre-ordered directly from Stardock are in the first wave of the beta.

Amazon, etc. pre-orders will be in the second wave of downloads, I'd imagine.

Edit: Oops, I see that a couple of other posters beat me to it.

January 19, 2012 3:42:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Time to get it on.

January 19, 2012 3:50:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was part of the original EWoM beta, but i don't see it in my downloads either, and i got the special edition box and everything mailed from stardock too  can someone help?

Edit: I didn't even get an email, but thats probaly because i don't know exactly who sent me my copy of E:WoM, so i dont know if it was stardock who sent me it

January 19, 2012 3:51:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Grmbl, figured it out, it tries to exctract to my c drive, which has about 1 Gb free space. Cleaned it up, 2,1 Gb, still not enough to get past 93% @$#&%

Why can't I choose to extract it to my other drive that has tens of Gb's of free space....

January 19, 2012 3:53:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, downloading. Bit slow but getting there with 52 minutes remaining...

January 19, 2012 3:53:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ah yeah. Eagerly anticipating my return home so I can actually enjoy this thing.

On that note, it would be cool if Stardock made some sort of app so that I could start a download remotely. Then I'd be able to start testing as soon as I got home, instead of probably downloading late into the night.

January 19, 2012 4:01:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Satrhan,
Grmbl, figured it out, it tries to exctract to my c drive, which has about 1 Gb free space. Cleaned it up, 2,1 Gb, still not enough to get past 93% @$#&%

Why can't I choose to extract it to my other drive that has tens of Gb's of free space....

Long live betatesting. Sorry to hear man, but that's just one of those 'bonuses' you get for betatesting.

January 19, 2012 4:11:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No edge scrolling

Its not a big deal but its how I move around maps in my strategy game.

January 19, 2012 4:22:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Almost done downloading.

January 19, 2012 4:28:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm so stoked I will be able to access the beta when I can pre-order!  I didn't get E:WOM until early 2011, I think.

January 19, 2012 4:34:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hell.... i really thought it would be no prob. to wait a week. I was so stupid to think about waiting for the full release. How stupid i´m sometimes?! I allready checked sd central and hoped they messed it up and FE apears, although i bought it on the 4.sept. 2011.  

January 19, 2012 4:39:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Got it installed, finaly. Looks good so far, but already had my first ctd. Will see if it's repeatable in a while.

January 19, 2012 4:50:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Satrhan,
Got it installed, finaly. Looks good so far, but already had my first ctd. Will see if it's repeatable in a while.

Using advanced install it's perfectly possible to select another drive, but good to see you have it running.

January 19, 2012 5:19:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No, that wasn't the problem. The file that you download has to be extracted first. When that is done you can set an intallation location, but the initial extracting is done on the c drive.

January 19, 2012 5:35:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am on my third attempt to download. First time I just selected run as an option and after it downloaded, nothing happened. Second time I saved to HD and ran it but got a croupt file. I sure hope the third time is the charm.

January 19, 2012 5:38:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ah, ok! Also if you move the file to another drive before extracting?

Anyways, did about 50 turns and thusfar I'm really impressed. Finally Elemental oozes atmosphere. So much to do and to discover. Everything looks so much more polished than WOM and this is just a beta! No crashes yet.

Love the way your heroes level up now. Much more personality there. Love the new techtree and all the explanations when you mouseover something. But above all I see some frightening monsters guarding some powerful loot now!

No sidescrolling is the only thing I don't like thusfar, but it's workable.

Still very early days, but it looks like this could be that fantasy game I was waiting for and WOM never was...

January 19, 2012 5:40:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Oh man! I was certain I had pre-ordered WOM! Can I particicpate in the beta?? pls pls pls!!

January 19, 2012 6:08:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Felkins,
Oh man! I was certain I had pre-ordered WOM! Can I particicpate in the beta?? pls pls pls!!

I buyed 2 copies of WOM in 2009 I want to get beta now?! pls pls pls!!!

January 19, 2012 6:27:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Do you want us to point out spelling, grammar, and general semantic errors? I have counted 4 already.

January 19, 2012 6:54:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This game is pretty tight so far... I keep getting CTD's after every 30 mins or so doing seemingly random things, but it sure is fun! The graphics are also way smoother than WOM, it feels like an engine/game meant for video cards today. The atmosphere feels great.

There are a few UI, graphical glitches and grammar errors, but those have been pointed out already. Once these ctd's get worked out, this game is going to suck in a lot of hours of people's lives...

January 19, 2012 9:54:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Issue 01: New units appear outside of the city. In may case each time I train a unit they are killed by the monsters that await outside the city.

January 19, 2012 10:11:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The game really looks awesome. I played the tutorial and started a random map and played that for 50 turns. No crashes and the game seems very mature.

As a side note, I saw the poll for first impressions of the game and voted excellent. Whoever voted the game as poor must be an idiot or just upset they didn't get an early beta.

Stardock, so far this game beats my expectations by far! Thank you!

January 19, 2012 10:18:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Edwin99,

Issue 01: New units appear outside of the city. In may case each time I train a unit they are killed by the monsters that await outside the city.

actually i think there is an option that you can toggle that spawns them inside the city.

January 19, 2012 10:25:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've played the tutorial and a few turns in beta. Some improvements at least over WoM are quite tangible.

Also, I just read the Survival Tips!, and I must say that I like the philosophy and ideas behind the AI design. I don't know if they were driving the AI of WoM (because frankly I just couldn't stand the game to get into it that much), but regardless it makes the world feel hostile in a way that is totally in keeping with the world's lore.

Quoting Edwin99,

I think it's an issue with smaller cities in particular?

It seems with default settings, units will spawn just outside the central cluster of buildings in a city, or right outside the barracks if you have them?

I didn't start recruiting units until my borders had expanded well beyond the original area, and it appeared my units were just spawning outside the original city borders.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.