The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

pacov's League of Legends general discussion thread - strategies, etc

By on November 29, 2011 1:07:18 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+182

I've locked/archived this thread/blog and have started a new discussion over here:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/454943/

Please join me if you like.

Am I streaming

Well, I started a thread  back in August (http://forums.joeuser.com/411269/) that's seen a lot of activity and actually had quite a few good bits of information for new and old players alike.  I figure it's time to start a new thread and perhaps keep the OP up-to-date with useful information, etc.  Feel free to use this post for any LoL discussion, etc.

Super fast background:  I played a lot of Demigod as pacov/cheesuscrust.  Back in August 2011 or so, I started getting heavily involved in LoL and folks have been kind enough to chime in with tips and links to various sites that have been quite useful to me.  In addition, I've been able to keep up with folks that I've played Demigod with in the past and meet some new folks that play LoL and frequent these message boards. 

Here's some of the things I've learned in the previous thread:

New Player tips

• Play the tutorial.
  • Consider picking up the starter bundle.  It's 530 RP (that's about $4).  You get 8 champs unlocked, a 4 win IP boost and a 10 win XP boost.  It's a pretty good deal (used it recently on an alt account).  You can find it in the game store under bundles.
  • Riot gives you 400 RP as soon as you hit level 5.  It's enough to buy some skins, a boost, or a cheap character. 
  • Learn to last hit!  Last hitting is simply landing the last hit on creeps.  If you last hit, you get gold for that kill.  The number of creeps you have killed is tracked in a value called CS.  You can see this number in the top right hand corner of the ui or by pressing tab.  Here's a really simple tutorial re: last hitting if you are brand new - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LheiRB76x5g
  • Read some guides on any character you want to try out.  The recommended builds (what you see when you go to a shop) are not optimal.  The guides include item suggestions and skill orders.  These are very useful in learning decent ways to build characters
  • Use the rune combiner to get level 3 runes prior to level 20 if you like.  You will need 375 IP.  Buy any tier 1 rune that costs 15 IP.  You need to purchase 25 of these.  Click on your rune page.  In the bottom right hand corner there is a button called the Rune Combiner.  If you place 5 runes in there, you can get a random rune that is 1 tier higher (eg if you have 5 tier 1 runes, you will get 1 random tier 2 rune.  Anyway, the math works out such that you spend 375 IP ( buy 25 tier 1 15 IP runes) and you get 1 completely random tier 3 rune.  Some of the quintessences are 2k IP, so if you luck out and get one of those, you just won the lottery.  You can always keep the random tier 2 rune if you end up with something good and don't want to trade it out yet.
  • Consider setting aside IP for tier 3 runes (available at level 20 and above).  You can't purchase them with real money - only IP.  Keep that in mind.

Great site I visit every day for LoL related news - http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends

pacov's misc info

Here's a guide I made

pacov's Guide to Improving at League of Legends and Moving Up in Elo

k - so I'm just going to put down some of my thoughts.  I'm not amazing at this game, but I do certain things that improve my odds of winning in ranked and so far its panning out just fine (bronze 5 to gold 5 in about a month or so).  We all have varied skill levels, so some of this might be useful and some not.  Caveat complete.

Prerequisite- you need to know how to play every single role.  You don't have to be a god at every single role (more power to you if you are - I'm certainly not).  You need to be able to play at a serviceable level in every single role and excel at least at 1 role (preferably 2).  In my case, I'm good at support and adc.  I'm not great, but have serviceable mids and jungles and so so tops.  Knowing what you are good at and bad at is very important.  If you don't know, I can probably tell you - but you really should know...  Anyway, you need to have enough champs to make solid picks in any role and you need to be able to cover any role if it comes down to it.  I'll talk about how to get better at specific roles in a bit.

Champ select advice - Don't be the "fill" guy unless you really feel like you are awesome in all roles.  Call your preferred role immediately when you hit the lobby.  Say "adc pref."  Do this as soon as you hit the lobby.  Some people believe that if you call a role you magically get it.  This is stupid, but if you call something out, folks will often accomodate your request.  If you are feeling wishy washy for whatever reason, call out multiple roles in order of what you want to play - "adc/mid pref."  In my experience, you generally do not want to call support.  It's a very important role, but you want to be in a position to carry every single game if possible.  If you aren't calling out a role, you are hoping that other players can carry you.  If you are hoping that folks will carry you, you don't deserve to win.  You need to know your best roles and you absolutely should request them.

Solo or duo in ranked? - Well, my 1st thought here is that you should solo.  If you solo, you have to rely on yourself.  IMO - its a much bigger test of skill to play solo and win than to duo.  Do you want someone to carry you or do you really want to know that you are actually good?  That said, provided you have the right duo partner, you can increase your odds of winning quite a bit.  The simple math is that instead of having 4 teammates as unknown quantities, you only have 3.  If you have a good duo teammate, you know what you can expect.  When you duo, you get the most bang for your buck by having complimentary roles.  Support/adc is good; jungle/mid also works.  Even if you don't have direct symmetry in roles, if you are an amazing mid and I'm an amazing adc, our odds go up quite a bit if we both get those roles.  Our odds go way down if we can't get those roles and are forced to play out of positions that we are weaker.  For example, Bryff is a good mid.  If he duo's up with me, the only way he will get to play that role is for me to call mid, take it myself, and then put myself into a position like support where I can't carry out of (I'm always 1st pick, Bryff is always last pick when we duo)... that and I have to show the mid I'm picking at the start which means Bryff gets hard countered.  In short, we can expect that we will be a disadvantage when duo queuing.  Now, if Bryff queued up with someone at a lower elo than himself that was solid, he'd likely be 1st pick and be able to get mid and have a better chance of carrying the game.  Anyway, you need to keep in mind where you end up in pick order when duoing if you aren't looking to go adc/support.  If you want that, you can usually get it. 

How do you get better in roles that you are not good at? - Well, here's what I do.  And this is really what I do on a regular basis.  I think about what I'm good at and what I'm not good at.  For instance, I realized that I don't play any hyper carry ads.  So, I read up on hyper carries like vayne and kog maw.  I look for guides on how to build them (most adcs are the same btw ), I look for vids on how people play them (eg how do I all in with a specific champ - is there a combo - when do I all in - what's the best way for me to burst - how should I behave in lane with this champ).  Then, I fire up a custom game and try out the mechanics of whatever champ vs AI.  Usually I learn a few tricks during that custom on how to position myself, etc.  Then, I'm off to normal games where I'll request the role or character I'm trying out.  Now, people still report your for being awful in normals, but it really is where you need to try out characters to see if you are any good or not as the bots are useless for proving your skill level to yourself.  So, fire up that normal and ask to play a role (again - after you've tried out the champ against bots).  If you don't know anyone you are with and you are quite awful, I suggest muting everyone at the start of the game.  Then, do your best.  Continue with this until you feel like you have a serviceable skill level in whatever role.  And keep in mind what you need to work on.  For me, I noticed I didn't really have alot of mids for ranked, so I started practicing some with gragas against and karth.  That way, I'll be able to get the job done if I need to play mid.  The next thing I need to do is put more time into being better top lane. Again, because while I prefer adc/support, I might need to play top for the team.  So, best to be ready for it.  Put your time in and practice roles. 

One last thought - there are certain things you can generally expect in ranked.  1 - if you are 1st pick, you generally can call whatever you want.  Common knowledge, I'm sure - but I'll add - CALL WHATEVER YOU WANT.  2 - if you duo queue, you generally can lock down both adc and support.  It works best if your adc is 1st pick, ofc.  I've bumped into like 10 random dedicated supports in all of my games of LoL.  People generally aren't going to call support. So, if you are 1st pick and duo'd, just call adc and then your duo partner can almost always get support.

Lol King profiles for ranked tracking

I'm not going to update this regularly, so just consider it a snapshot (I'll add a date when I update them).  Anyway, I enjoy seeing folks progress through ranked and keeping tabs on that sort of thing from time to time. 

Snapshot updated 05/28/2014

Character guides

Mid Ziggs by cow - http://www.lolking.net/guides/7906
Locked Post 5007 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 15, 2013 9:44:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

streaming in house 5v5 in a few minutes.

August 16, 2013 12:06:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fun games - got whooped in both of them, but had fun.  Felt like I had a decent showing in game 1.  Even made some good calls here and there.  Game 2, I did ok with kills.  Crap farming on and off (was down by like 13 cs at 1 point due to poor mechanics). I came back and farmed like a champ later (without fing my team I'll add ).  I felt really overwhelmed in the team fights, though.  My ult requires either pick off or clean up, and they had a shitton of cc.  I think we made a few bad calls in game 2 here and there.  Def don't feel like I performed well enough.  If I could have pulled off some big plays towards the end, I think we might have had a chance, honestly... but I REALLY needed to pull off some big plays.  And did not.  Ah well. 

OK - stay tuned.  I'm going to make the 2 vids tonight then hit the hay.  Will post links here when done.  prob 5-15 minutes from this post.

August 16, 2013 12:11:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

game 1 of in house - http://www.twitch.tv/1pacov1/c/2759210

game 2 - http://www.twitch.tv/1pacov1/c/2759223

Uploading to youtube now

I think I'm a bit more "vocal" in game 1.  If you can only watch one game, I'd recommend game 1.  I think its probably a bit more entertaining overall... at least from a yelling pacov POV. Night all!

August 16, 2013 12:40:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

oh - and I really enjoyed getting to run my shy against karls udyr in game 1.  I actually think zac/shy are my strongest atm and don't think I could have kept up with karl as well without both of them.  Felt like I kept up ok though, but fell behind here and there.  He was spot on with the jungle timers for red and I compensated as I could.  One time I knew he used smite to steal my red like a jerk, so I went right back at him and stole his blue right in front of him and then ran like a bitch (a dragon bitch).  Anyway, I think karls a good jungler and don't think I could have kept up with him as much without all the time I've been putting into jangle.  Was nice to see I've learned some anyway. 

oh - and I think in the future I'm just going to mute the audio on the stream when I'm talking with thunder or we are plotting strats.  I've killed the stream in the past and just restarted it, but I bet that sucks balls for anyone viewing.  Anyway, I think just an audio kill should be fine going forward.  I'll just announce it to folks watching and they can wait it out instead of refreshing or w/e you have to do to pick it back up when we are live again. 

August 16, 2013 12:23:45 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Great job coming up with teams yesterday, Thunder.  First time in a bit where I didn't have a strong leaning on one team looking stronger than the other.

For anyone that's curious, the method we've been using is that thunder forms 2 teams as squads of 4.  Once he thinks those 2 teams look good, I pick the team I want.  Then we just alternate sides of the map (eg game 1 pacov's team is team 2, game 2 pacov's team is team 1 - even if we make new teams up).  The logic of thunder's system is that he wouldn't logically try to stack a team as I might just pick it and he'd be left with a weaker setup.  He and I don't see exactly eye to eye on player skill levels, etc, but I think we generally agree. 

August 16, 2013 5:14:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Really well done:

August 16, 2013 7:27:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting pacov,
Felt like I kept up ok though, but fell behind here and there.  He was spot on with the jungle timers for red and I compensated as I could.  One time I knew he used smite to steal my red like a jerk, so I went right back at him and stole his blue right in front of him and then ran like a bitch (a dragon bitch).  Anyway, I think karls a good jungler and don't think I could have kept up with him as much without all the time I've been putting into jangle.  Was nice to see I've learned some anyway. 

You had good buff control, and a good mid game when our team was really disorganized.

But, the laning phase didn't go well for you at all IMO.  Your never did successfully set up a play in the laning phase.  Your first gank on mid was good and you did what you could there, but after that you just weren't putting any pressure on our lanes, and our lanes were pushed.  Your only real gank attempts were these odd followup plays where I'd gank somewhere and then you'd try ganking the same spot about 5 seconds after I left.  That doesn't work because I can just turn around and stop that.

I'm not saying that I had a huge volume of ganks or anything (I didn't end up doing much in the laning phase either), but I at least set up a couple of positive plays, usually with help from mid.

Your real problem is that you have to realize that you really don't want Nasus sitting top and just free farming his SS.  So you should have been camping the crap out of top, especially since it was on your red side.  If you let the game go very long, you get to the point where he is too farmed for you+shen to do anything...which is very bad for you.

Now, you might say that you weren't ganking much because Shy doesn't have the strongest ganks.  Fair enough.  But why take somebody who is a jungle bully when you know you are playing against somebody who will just pick somebody who you can't bully?  Then you don't have strong ganks and can't bully, so there isn't much left.  If you wanted to play Shy against us, you need to ban Udyr since you could have reasonably bullied my other junglers.

Also, your play at my blue wasn't that smart given your knowledge.  You are going into a case with a neutral position top and a pushed mid, meaning that we can get superior numbers to you first.  And you are letting me take you down to 60% health to start.  If I had mana, you would have at least had to flash and if I had a flash, you were probably dead.  You were fortunate in that I didn't have mana, but you didn't know that ahead of time.

Also, press tab more.  Is Nasus buying a lot of wards or not?  These are things that you need to know.

August 16, 2013 7:42:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Krazikarl,
Your real problem is that you have to realize that you really don't want Nasus sitting top and just free farming his SS. So you should have been camping the crap out of top, especially since it was on your red side. If you let the game go very long, you get to the point where he is too farmed for you+shen to do anything...which is very bad for you.

hmm... probably right.  When I'm assessing where to go, I have a few things in mind.  1 - I know you are going to be counter jungling very hard when you have udyr.  This meant I'd either need to go and defend my buffs or steal one of your when the timer came up... or take a trade off like a tower or gank when I know you wouldn't be there because you were stealing or securing a buff.  Then I look top lane.  I see no advantage in ganking a lane with a perpetually full hp nasus.  That's probably a misplay on my part, but I typically way gank ops based on potential for kill.  With shy, kill potential goes way up when my dragon is up and my cutlass/botrk as ready.  Outside of that, I'd likely just be running at full hp, tanky nasus, do a little dmg, then he just heals up unless I continue to camp the lane... which, in turn, loses me jungle objective and makes it so I can't counter jungle as much.  Kind of a rock and hard place.  My ganks weren't anything all that great. 

Quoting Krazikarl,
Also, your play at my blue wasn't that smart given your knowledge. You are going into a case with a neutral position top and a pushed mid, meaning that we can get superior numbers to you first. And you are letting me take you down to 60% health to start. If I had mana, you would have at least had to flash and if I had a flash, you were probably dead. You were fortunate in that I didn't have mana, but you didn't know that ahead of time.

Well, I'll disagree here for a few reasons.  I knew you were very likely bee lining to blue without smite.  I was watching mid.  Mid could have rotated but I saw her again mid just before I started the engage at blue. I also saw your mana before I began the fight.  And the last piece was nasus, who I don't think he was in a position to do anything about me based on shen's location.  So, while it was quite oh so aggressive and a smidge ballsy, it was done in a way where I felt extremely confident I'd be able to get out safely and with knowledge of the situation before I fully committed.  Completely agree that if I did that and you had mana and mid was mia from mid, well, ouch.  Odds are I'm quite dead. 

August 17, 2013 11:18:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

in house 5v5 game live now.  Streaming.

August 18, 2013 1:21:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think I'm just going to head to bed.

Quick summary of the night.  So, yesterday, I played decent early and then weak late the later the night went on... which isn't surprising to me as I was consuming some tasty beverages.  Anyway, I make it to my promo from gold II to gold I and bomb out.  Tonight, I think I go 2/1 in ranked.  I'm back in my promo series with 1 loss for gold I.  Hunny is in his promo series from gold IV to III I think.  1 loss also in that series. 

Anyway, then we got to team games.  I under performed a bunch in game 1 as support.  I made a great call on getting an early oracles as they had tons of vision and cleared them out... but then I spent a rediculous amount of money on oracles... prob like 2k-2400.  Was a bit of over kill, but did my best to give the team better vision.  We had one really fun combo against thunder... I think it was ash arrow, ww ult, nami wave, then nami bubble.  Welcome to cc hell.  Bottom line, though, I made a bunch of really, completely retarded mistakes.  Game 2 I was adc and went varus.  I was pretty conservative and stuck with the team.  Put out a good amount of damage.  Ended 7/2/14.  I had pretty good positioning when team fights started and sacrificed quite a bit of CS here and there when things were unsafe.  Really annoying to play varus vs corki tho.  Completely due to corks Valkyrie.  I think I ended up missing 2 spot on ults with him getting valkrie off right as the ult would have hit him. 

Anyway, early game was kind of smeh.  My leona had a great play catching bryff one time.  I was kind of lackluster early/mid, but was making decent money.  Come team fights and pick offs, I feel like i was pretty solid and made really good decisions.  One instance were lee sin was bee lining to try to help out jax or start a big ass fight.  I have him zoned out and use my ult just to keep him away.  Doesn't seem like a major play, but it completely contained a fight, which was what I wanted.  Other instances I feel like I did really well with choosing my shots for my ult and controlling the flow of the fights. 

Hedgie had an excellent game as anivia and we all worked together pretty well overall imo.  So, reasonably pleased with my performance in game 2 (karl was right calling me out for pushing my lane so much bot... that was actually pretty damn stupid considering I had a support leona as well) - def room for improvement though. Game 1 was just bad and smeh chemistry between my adc and myself. 

I'll post vids of the in house games tomorrow for anyone that is interested. 

Anyone willing to save me some testing time?  Iceborn gauntlet on varus?  Complete waste?  I'm thinking so, but also thinking about testing it out. 

August 18, 2013 11:26:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here are some links to the the in house games from last night.  Uploading to youtube now.

game 1

http://www.twitch.tv/1pacov1/c/2772167

game 2

http://www.twitch.tv/1pacov1/c/2772181

Oh - and I made a vid where I did some analysis of a play from the in house 2 days ago - http://www.twitch.tv/1pacov1/c/2772239

August 18, 2013 10:54:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

felt really sick after dinner tonight so only playing a few games vs bots this evening.  Hopefully catch u all tomorrow. 

August 19, 2013 11:28:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

going to stream myself critiquing myself instead of just watching and observing how I f up in 1 game.  Give a look if interested.

August 19, 2013 11:49:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Off to bed - I post a link sometime tomorrow to that critique.  I basically throw a game as a super fed ezreal. 

August 20, 2013 2:01:19 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

So, the refund item feature is live on pbe - screenshot stole from reddit

August 20, 2013 5:40:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here's a link to the vid from last night where I critique my own poor play from a ranked.

http://www.twitch.tv/1pacov1/c/2786818

Uploading to youtube for those that prefer/are interested

also - riot released this info re: security:  http://beta.na.leagueoflegends.com/node/4342

The security of your information is critically important to us, so we’re really sorry to share that a portion of our North American account information was recently compromised.

What we know: usernames, email addresses, salted password hashes, and some first and last names were accessed. This means that the password files are unreadable, but players with easily guessable passwords are vulnerable to account theft.

Additionally, we are investigating that approximately 120,000 transaction records from 2011 that contained hashed and salted credit card numbers have been accessed. The payment system involved with these records hasn't been used since July of 2011, and this type of payment card information hasn't been collected in any Riot systems since then. We are taking appropriate action to notify and safeguard affected players. We will be contacting these players via the email addresses currently associated with their accounts to alert them. Our investigation is ongoing and we will take all necessary steps to protect players.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to consult the player support knowledge base or reach out to player support directly.

As a measure to make your accounts safer, within the next 24 hours we’ll require players with accounts in North America to change their passwords to stronger ones that are much harder to guess. At such time, you’ll be automatically prompted to change your password when you attempt to log in to the game. If you’d prefer, please click here to change your password now.

Additionally, new security features that are currently in development include:

• Email verification: all new registrations and account changes will need to be associated with a valid email address (we’ll also require all existing players to provide a valid email address).
  • Two-factor authentication: changes to account email or password will require verification via email or mobile SMS.

We’re sincerely sorry about this situation. We apologize for the inconvenience and will continue to focus on account security going forward.

Thank you,

Marc Merrill
Brandon Beck

August 21, 2013 12:19:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

fun games tonight - we had some in house ones and I got to play some with our new pal grendlegod - good stuff.  I will post the in house vids tomorrow for those that are interested.  I think we had 3 and had a really decent turn out.  Managed to get 10 with at least 1 person wanting in for the next game each game. 

Anyway, night all and be watching for the vod's tomorrow if interested. 

August 21, 2013 8:49:00 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

oh - I tried iceborn on varus the other day and its rot.  I also tried AP varus, which is actually pretty strong.  I'm not really sure the setup I'd want to use it in as you need to land 3 aa's for it become really powerful.  The basic playstyle is that its all about landing out attacks.  Your other abilities are really only there for popping stacks... which eventually does like 34% hp dmg on anyone.  I don't think its all that freaking practical.  I'm also not sure if your dps is up/down/flat to what you get out of ad varus. 

August 21, 2013 11:02:16 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

kaaaaaarrrrrrrrrllllllllllllll!!!!!

August 21, 2013 1:52:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting pacov,

kaaaaaarrrrrrrrrllllllllllllll!!!!!

LOL There were some KampinKarl screams in our Skype call as well.  "FUCCCKK!!! HE FUCKING FLASH ULTED ME!  FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!"

August 21, 2013 2:29:27 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

heh - yeah - hunny had quite a few colorful comments he made to me via pm after the game.    He was not pleased. 

August 21, 2013 3:28:15 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

ooo - good sign.  The lucian champion spotlight has been released.  Maybe we get our new champ today!   I enjoyed trying him out on PBE a little while back (when his ap scaling on his ult was the dumbest thing ever - eg hi - i just solo'd baron in 5 seconds).  His kit is interesting though.  Good supports going against him will likely not run exhaust once they figure out what his dash can do... odds are you will still be able to cheese it and get out pretty easy of exhaust traps and can likely bait exhaust for now.

August 21, 2013 7:18:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

in house game vods from 08-20-2013 - also uploading to youtube now

game 1 - http://www.twitch.tv/1pacov1/c/2793295

game 2 - http://www.twitch.tv/1pacov1/c/2793305

game 3 - http://www.twitch.tv/1pacov1/c/2793317

August 21, 2013 7:32:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have a feeling this is going to be pretty freaking strong now on the right champs

Trinity Force

• UNIQUE Passive - Icy removed
  • New UNIQUE Passive - Rage: basic attacks grant 20 movement speed for 2 seconds on hit. Minion, monster, and champion kills grant 60 movement speed for 2 seconds
  • UNIQUE Passive - Spellblade
    • Damage increased to 200% base attack damage (from 150%)
  • Due to Phage's price reduction, total cost is now 3628 gold (from 3843)

August 22, 2013 12:18:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

HOPING tomorrow we get lucian... sob

You should take a look at this - really well done start up screen by riot

for those that don't know, the quick lore is that lucian fing hates thresh.  His goal is to free his wife from thresh's lantern.  That said, I'm really, really, really, really, hoping riot does something cool like add very unique hidden passives. For instance, perhaps lower dps if you put lucian and thresh on the same team - or higher dmg output from lucian if thresh is on the other team.  Maybe some hidden missions.  Something to make it interesting.  Hoping they don't pass up the opportunity. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time: