The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

THIS. IS. STARDOCK!

By on October 31, 2011 8:29:41 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Toby (Associate Producer) and Derek (Producer & Lead Designer)

+912 Karma | 89 Replies
November 3, 2011 11:33:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,
I just think SD should (...) try to reach out and expose things  

I mean, really! Can't you keep your mind off exposed flesh for just one instant?

November 3, 2011 3:29:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,

A lack of misogyny is why anime had its big boom in the 90s, largely at the expense of comic books. which have done a damn fine job of making sure half the population will never have much interest in their work.

lost me there. manga are stereotypically divided into boy/man and woman/girl audiences (that's not to say the other gender don't read them!)... latter is more akin to mills and boons, chick lit, whatever you call it, whilst the former is not all that different from the usual hotblooded action stuff, dirty jokes and innuendos with doses of flesh or knickers flashing about.

and that's not even the adult oriented stuff.

manga is basically not all that different from novels you get in the west. instead of written, it's drawn. all manners of genres, though mind you, you don't get many written fictions about chefs or chess or business men.... for example.

November 3, 2011 4:00:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting alaknebs,

Quoting Alstein, reply 46
A lack of misogyny is why anime had its big boom in the 90s, largely at the expense of comic books. which have done a damn fine job of making sure half the population will never have much interest in their work.

lost me there. manga are stereotypically divided into boy/man and woman/girl audiences (that's not to say the other gender don't read them!)... latter is more akin to mills and boons, chick lit, whatever you call it, whilst the former is not all that different from the usual hotblooded action stuff, dirty jokes and innuendos with doses of flesh or knickers flashing about.

and that's not even the adult oriented stuff.

manga is basically not all that different from novels you get in the west. instead of written, it's drawn. all manners of genres, though mind you, you don't get many written fictions about chefs or chess or business men.... for example.

The lines are sharply drawn in Japan, but not in the US.  Girls read shonen stuff in the US (and not just Saint Seiya), and guys will read and like girly stuff.  Major artists who come to the US are often shocked by this.  My point was that a big reason anime boomed in the US, and maybe THE reason, was that unlike any other "sci-fi/fantasy" format, they really had something that appealed heavily to teenaged girls at the time (Sailor moon).

There's a reason a 15yr rerun of Sailor Moon has been the top selling manga in the US recently.

Simple fact: if you can appeal to all of the people instead of half the people, you're going to sell more of your stuff and make more money.

November 3, 2011 6:16:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If someone believes I'm gonna change my behavior then they're very mistaken.

If I see a hot chick, I'm going to smile and check her out since girls like attention. Besides, shy guys are lonely (believe me, I was very shy up until I was around 22. Still a bit shy but I'm working on it....

Also, if you tell a woman that you find her attractive then she'll be happy because of it.

So WHO loses on I (or anyone else) calling a chick we find to be good looking??

November 3, 2011 8:01:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well I blame the fox girl for devolving this thread into a conversation about anime. You knew that being attractive and cool would destroy any hope of a light hearted thread about Halloween devs!

You must be stopped...   

November 3, 2011 11:02:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Fox girl does a lot of the art in Elemental. Pretty much all the icons, spell icons, ability images, etc.

November 4, 2011 12:20:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Has she ever considered doing cutscenes for the Command & Conquer campaigns?    I'd buy it.  

November 4, 2011 1:05:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Or no...she should be cast as the main character in the next King's Bounty series, as Princess Amelie's jealous sister.   So basically take a bunch of pictures with her wearing armor and a shield, and then in the game after your Stardock friend liberates some other planet somewhere from the evil Archdemon 9 stories tall, the final boss battle is a barehanded mud wrestling fight with Princess Amelie.   Brilliant, if I say so myself!   Stardock should employ me as a contractor simply for my million-dollar game ideas alone.   I say as a contractor in order to shield SD from the sexual harassment suits I would cause.  But if Stardock is not interested, that's okay:   Herman Cain's campaign headquarters is also talking to me.

November 4, 2011 2:04:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Campaigner,
Refusing to improve yourself is needlessly self-destructive. Refusing to respect the requests of others is sociopathic. While I suppose either and both are your prerogative, it would likely be better for all concerned if you remain apart from civilized and semi-civilized communities.

If I see a hot chick, I'm going to smile and check her out since girls like attention.
This is a generalization that doesn't hold true. The vast majority of people (of both genders) to whom it applies only really like attention from attractive people. As some random person on the internet, your attractiveness is essentially nonexistant.

Besides, shy guys are lonely (believe me, I was very shy up until I was around 22. Still a bit shy but I'm working on it....
What the fuck does that have to do with anything? The fact that you're lonely doesn't mean everyone wants to see you act revolting in an otherwise pleasant thread.

Also, if you tell a woman that you find her attractive then she'll be happy because of it.
This is an absolute statement that is far from absolutely true.

People who wanted a good thread.

November 4, 2011 2:07:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AND ON A TOTALLY DIFFERENT NOTE

Quoting Alstein,
The lines are sharply drawn in Japan, but not in the US.  Girls read shonen stuff in the US (and not just Saint Seiya), and guys will read and like girly stuff.  Major artists who come to the US are often shocked by this.  My point was that a big reason anime boomed in the US, and maybe THE reason, was that unlike any other "sci-fi/fantasy" format, they really had something that appealed heavily to teenaged girls at the time (Sailor moon).

There's a reason a 15yr rerun of Sailor Moon has been the top selling manga in the US recently.

Simple fact: if you can appeal to all of the people instead of half the people, you're going to sell more of your stuff and make more money.

Anime and Manga also tend to portray very strong gender roles, which often include misogynistic stuff. I'm told this is actually a fairly accurate reflection of Japanese society, though I don't know from personal experience.

EDIT: Broken into two posts because the forum software can't handle quoting multiple people in one post. I hope Bara figures out why soon and fixes it.

November 4, 2011 5:03:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

which is why i think it's the breadth of manga genre and target audience, thus the availability to be picked to fill gaps in genres in the west, rather than western comics being more sexist. that said, what is the main audience of western comics? male adults? you can hardly compare sailor moon to superman, for example.. not that i've actually read sailor moon, which is probably more comparable with disney type cartoons,... nor do i read western comics to be dead honest.

at a stretch, probably better off comparing superman to something like the kosaku series (salary man sleeps with any and everything whilst moving up management roles). you won't see that on tv!

November 4, 2011 5:13:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Please god lock this thread.

November 4, 2011 6:52:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Has no one noticed the killer robot in the background?

November 4, 2011 7:42:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cruxador,
AND ON A TOTALLY DIFFERENT NOTE

Quoting Alstein, reply 53The lines are sharply drawn in Japan, but not in the US.  Girls read shonen stuff in the US (and not just Saint Seiya), and guys will read and like girly stuff.  Major artists who come to the US are often shocked by this.  My point was that a big reason anime boomed in the US, and maybe THE reason, was that unlike any other "sci-fi/fantasy" format, they really had something that appealed heavily to teenaged girls at the time (Sailor moon).

Anime and Manga also tend to portray very strong gender roles, which often include misogynistic stuff. I'm told this is actually a fairly accurate reflection of Japanese society, though I don't know from personal experience.

EDIT: Broken into two posts because the forum software can't handle quoting multiple people in one post. I hope Bara figures out why soon and fixes it.

I'm not disagreeing with you on that.  That's not my point though- which was that the industry catered to an unserved market in the mid-90's, and made a buttload of money doing so.  Gaming could benefit from the same.

November 4, 2011 7:56:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Magog_AoW,
What is that big black thing with red dots?
I was Micigan.  The red dots are major cities.

These were the winning costumes.

November 4, 2011 8:34:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I didn't want to cause such major "disturb" by asking a girl name... sorry for that. That being said, Zubaz, you defenitly have a great creativity. Did you though of this costume alone or were you helped?

November 4, 2011 8:44:36 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Zubaz - You are not Michigan - you are an Arbies oven mit.   Just admit it. 

November 4, 2011 9:37:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

People who wanted a good thread.

Not everyone here cares about this thread being good.       Someone should have gone to work in a gutter costume, 'cause this thread's going in it.   

November 4, 2011 11:49:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I say the penguin wins in my book. I would have chosen robot, but there is no soviet insignia, so how do I know if it is a killer robot?  

November 4, 2011 12:12:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
The Fox girl does a lot of the art in Elemental. Pretty much all the icons, spell icons, ability images, etc.

Well, she has outdone herself with Fallen Enchantress in any event.

The game looks great. Beta please!

November 4, 2011 12:59:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Showing up in  your pajamas and a bath robe and calling it a costume = win.

November 4, 2011 2:42:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No my friend, it is called, The Dude.

November 4, 2011 4:03:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cruxador, I request that you keep your narrow minded moralistic rants out of my entertainment.

So now, by your definition, I shouldn't have to read any more of that kind of judgmental stuff, unless you are sociopathic.

To all the costume wearing nutjobs at Stardock: You guys rock! Great variety and tastes displayed in the costume choices!

Regarding bathrobe and pajamas, it seems to me that no beard = Arthur Dent, and beard + longer scraggy hair = The Dude. Both choices full of win!

November 4, 2011 4:18:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Campaigner,

If I see a hot chick, I'm going to smile and check her out since girls like attention. Besides, shy guys are lonely (believe me, I was very shy up until I was around 22. Still a bit shy but I'm working on it....

Wow. You are an Internet Hero.

Thank you for giving me a good laugh.

November 4, 2011 5:19:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Personally, I think all the "Women of Stardock" are cute for that matter.

And no, I am not a desperate internet nerd or anything.

Some people need to lighten up here.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.