The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Sword of the stars 2 - are you playing it?

By on October 28, 2011 11:17:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+182

I just noticed that this was released today.  Anyone pick it up and have impressions?  Love to hear some feedback.  I'm on the fence deciding if I buy this or wait a bit.  Thanks!

Locked Post 176 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 28, 2011 11:29:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There was a big screwup somewhere between Kerberos and Steam.  An older beta version was made available for download instead of the actual release day version.  Kerberos has a new build uploaded, and it's supposed to be available shortly.

It might be worth waiting a few days, just to get the initial patches out of the way.  That said, Kerberos has a terrific record of supporting SOTS1 with both bugfixes and new features for years after the release, not just right after release.  So even with the launch day fiasco, the game will be under continuous improvement for a long time to come.

With all that said, even the buggy beta that got released looks great, and there's a lot of new gameplay mechanics involved.  You'll definitely want to pick it up.

October 29, 2011 12:14:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just keep in mind that it 'requires' STEAM to finish the installation process (activation) and requires STEAM for all patches to be installed.

A plus is that STEAM does not actually need to be running in order to play the game, just a bummer that it is required for installation. That's my biggest gripe. My Rant.

I'm waiting for a boxed version before I make my final decision on whether to pick it up or not. Been waiting for this for a while now, just bummed that STEAM is involved.

October 29, 2011 2:00:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I pre-ordered it. The original was great. 

However, the online version is totally borked... just got fixed about half an hour ago but I'm at home now so can't DL it. 

I'll post my impressions Tuesday/Wednesday (I can download it really fast at school). 

October 29, 2011 2:10:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Apparently the 'new' build is just as terrible as the last. Same UI issues, same placeholder crap, tons of bugs, oh and now the options menu is apparently greyed out. Bad enough that they cut features less than 48 hours before release and then ripped up people that expressed amazement. If they had at least delivered a playable game, we could all get past that. Instead we have gotten a buggy piece of garbage and nothing but 'working as intended' excuses from Kerberos. So basically Kerberos is full of it. This is the worst launch I have seen since, well, Elemental

The difference is that Brad manned up and apologized, and took ownership of the issues. All I have seen from Mecron is his typical smug attitude, no apology.They need to get their act together and take responsibility for this fiasco.

This kind of thing is a problem for someone like me that is overseas with limited, very expensive internet. I don't have the time or money to download a big game multiple times. I may just hold off on downloading it at this point. What a waste of money.

October 29, 2011 2:31:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I took today off to download it and play it. Didnt happen b/c of reasons stated above. Not downloaded the 'new' version. But their beta version is totaly broke. Even if i wanted to beta test...I dont see how one could with that.

I expect in time though this game will be rocking. SoTS 1 is great still play that with Ryat and by myself some.

They put half the afte release support they put into SoTS 1, it will be a great game.

But dont buy it yet. Let us dorks who pre-ordered it and such wade through this nightmare of a release. Yeah, its on the same lvl as Elemental.

The emo kids have been in full rage today. I hade to wear a Hulk-Buster suit just to make it through the Steam and Paradox fourms for updates and such.

October 29, 2011 2:59:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

*sigh*

October 29, 2011 3:21:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mecron is reallyyy a jackass. 

October 29, 2011 3:49:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Boshi, if your still awake...Im on TS now.

October 29, 2011 5:52:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Never get into a landwar in Asia or buy a Paradox game on Day 1.

October 29, 2011 6:09:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,

I dunno about landwars, but I second the paradox comment.

October 29, 2011 7:04:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just tried the newer version. I actually found it funny that I got a chance with a beta. Nice to see what's been changed since then

The game does need some tooltips, crashes for some people (personally haven't seen a single bug or crash) and has a somewhat unpolished feel in places, especially with lacking information. But there's nothing so far that makes me regret preordering it. The actual game design seems very solid and for me that's what counts.

To be honest, I don't expect to play it much until it's patched a bit further.. but I don't really care if I have a working game right away. I want a game I'll spend ages playing, even if that takes a while.

October 29, 2011 9:03:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,

So much truth. Not pre-ordering games anymore is the single best decision I've ever made. Paradox is notoriously bad on day 1, but it's an industry wide plague these days.

October 29, 2011 11:01:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

OK.  Thanks for all the feedback, folks.  That puts this game firmly in the do not buy until more patches are released category.  If there are any major fixes that come out in the near future or make this much more fun, please make a post here if you think of it.  I'd appreciate it. 

October 29, 2011 11:07:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Which is why I normally wait. Unless I can participate in Beta like in Rebellion and SWTOR. Which I did preorder.

October 29, 2011 11:33:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Pre-orders in my experience are a 50/50 bet.   If I preorder something, it's becuase I think it's going to be a niche retail thing I might not get otherwise, or because of the pre-order goodies.

Paradox is now a company I will not pre-order from for at least 2 years.  Stardock is in this category as well due to Elemental, but if FE shapes up well I'll gain my confidence back for future stuff.  (I think they'll do it, they just need to show it to me)

October 29, 2011 12:29:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for this thread.  If I had a PC which was capable of running SotSII it would have been a Day 1 purchase or close to it.  Now I know to avoid this game even if my PC becomes capable of running it.

October 29, 2011 12:55:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If you guys can describe the game beyond what the sales pitch is I'd appreciate it.  I'm curious, but not enough to buy it without some more info.

Mind you, I'm hearing I don't want to be getting it right now anyway but I appreciate products that ditch XP support.

October 29, 2011 2:24:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I bought the first one for 10 dollars. I think I will wait a year or two before I get this one. That way it will be fixed, hopefully, and be as cheap as the first one was for me.

It's really too bad that we are seeing so many failed launches these days. I kind of think they should start regulating PC hardware and other things to make it easier for smaller companies to produce games. Just a thought. 

October 29, 2011 3:00:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

eh, I don't think hardware is to blame for this stuff. Stronghold 3 has had an equally if not more so botched release, and hardware isn't to blame for anything that's wrong with it (though watching Wolves climb ladders is awfully funny). Similarly I don't think many of SotS's problems are hardware.

It doesn't help for sure, but it's not an excuse for a busted launch.

October 29, 2011 3:23:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting seanw3,
I kind of think they should start regulating PC hardware and other things to make it easier for smaller companies to produce games. Just a thought.

They do. Its called consoles.

October 29, 2011 4:04:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Ryat,
They do. Its called consoles.

Ooo

October 29, 2011 6:01:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've been watching SotS II for a long time, the only game I've ever pre-ordered along with Elemental and Shogun 2. It's a shame that the release has been so poor. I have a boxed copy on the way (via the paradox store), but I won't get to play it until November 14th. Hopefully they'll have everything figured out by then. I view Kerberos the same way I view Stardock, a game company that really cares about making good games with a lot of post-launch support. Mecron is very different from Brad though... they delete/ban any form of criticism on their boards, even though they are open with their customers. I trust both companies to fix their mistakes, they just respond in different ways.

If I have to wait a year for SotS II to be fixed, I'll be fine because by that time I'll have Fallen Enchantress.

October 29, 2011 10:35:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you guys can describe the game beyond what the sales pitch is I'd appreciate it. I'm curious, but not enough to buy it without some more info.

In a sentence: it's SOTS with bloom.

Despite the changes, it's still the same macro-management-oriented space strategy game you either love or hate.

If you were a fan of the original, then you should buy the sequel -- but only after several patches have been released. (And not the patches that replace the beta version with the release version.)

October 29, 2011 11:23:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Its more than SoTS with bloom.

Its SoTS, taken to a new level. Its more complex than the original. Looks to have alot more depth also.

SoTS vets, will have to relearn alot of the game just like a brand new player to the universe would.

If you like GalCiv style games, you like SoTS. A personal selling point to me is the actual Real Time combat. Its like to see all my ships go pew pew.

October 30, 2011 2:07:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh hey, Kerberos .  I remember them!  They made fort zombie, the biggest waste of time and money in my entire life.  The company I was banned from the forum 2 times.  Once for 'being a pirate', until they realized the game they shipped forgot some drivers and libraries (WHOUPS).  The other time for me complaining how I was getting 3 fps.    The same company that mocked customers by calling them monkeys and never fixing their game to a playable state.

No thanks.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001547   Page Render Time: