The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Sword of the stars 2 - are you playing it?

By on October 28, 2011 11:17:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+183

I just noticed that this was released today.  Anyone pick it up and have impressions?  Love to hear some feedback.  I'm on the fence deciding if I buy this or wait a bit.  Thanks!

Locked Post 176 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 31, 2011 11:28:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Bearussr,
I really like it even know the state that the game is in also I have 6hrs of gameplay. I like it more then SotS 1 and i really like that game. This is all my opinion 

6 hrs of gameplay 5 1/2 spent looking at a black screen while the computer runs AI vs AI battles in real time because there is no autoresolve. The rest of the time you either madly clicking directions for your ships since there is no combat automation or trying to figure out what all the pretty numbers mean because there are no tooltips, or other describers. 

October 31, 2011 11:57:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If the head of the company is using terms like "cockup" - well, for 1, I love the guy.  2 - they are offering refunds if you are disgusted with them (honestly, you kinda should be, but fair enough).  3 - just leave it be - come back to it in a month, even if its your super favoritest game on earth.  I'm pretty sure they will do everything in their power to sort it. 

After dealing with the excitement with Demigod, I can say I'm glad I stuck with the game and love it - but frankly, I'd have been much less annoyed if I just waited a bit for things to get better and then dove in. 

Commentary - here's what I don't get - companies release games that are in shite state.  Now honestly, if you believe these guys released this game knowing it was a piece of crap, then you should not buy from them again.  PERIOD.  But if you believe they just didn't know it was a piece of crap... well, that's another story.  That's my take on elemental.  I'm completely confident that SD felt they were releasing a solid game when they launched.  I personally am 100% sure that if Brad thought the game was a POS, he would have not launched it even if it meant a loss of money or looking stupid or whatever.  That said, if these guys are in the same boat, then I say support them.  If they are crapheads that decided to just release it because they needed to meet some bottom line (eg suckers that buy the game retail before reading any reviews), then screw them. 

The real story, though, is that companies like Kerberos and Stardock need better practices in place to ensure that games are solid on multiple platforms BEFORE release and they need to be held accountable.  Brad - if you don't have a QA setup using intel/amd and nvidia/ati setups... well shame on you.  And the QA should cover win7 and win XP (dual boot or multiple boxes).  That's how QA should happen.  Anyway, fingers crossed for Fallen Enchantress.  I really hope it won't have any of the issues that were present in Elemental. 

And last - I really do love both companies.  I really want the best for them and for both companies to release solid games and be highly profitable.  I just am sick of seeing "cockups."

November 1, 2011 5:19:24 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Generally speaking, all software is released with bugs, and in some cases: no user manual. Daz3D is notorious for this, buggy and no user manuals. The software? Carrara 8/Pro, Bryce 7/Pro, Daz Studio 4 Standard/Advanced/Pro. What they do instead, is point to a manual that is a version or two older and them have you watch these small YouTube videos on the Cool New Features! Then there is Mac support. The software does not work in OS X Lion.

November 1, 2011 7:13:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting pacov,

If the head of the company is using terms like "cockup" - well, for 1, I love the guy.  2 - they are offering refunds if you are disgusted with them (honestly, you kinda should be, but fair enough).  3 - just leave it be - come back to it in a month, even if its your super favoritest game on earth.  I'm pretty sure they will do everything in their power to sort it.

To be fair, that's not what he was doing on day 1. It was actually a lot like WoM in that way. Some denial, and then "uh oh, it really is screwed up." That's when the apology came out. Initially they were just banning people on the Kerberos forums who complained.

After dealing with the excitement with Demigod, I can say I'm glad I stuck with the game and love it - but frankly, I'd have been much less annoyed if I just waited a bit for things to get better and then dove in.

It really hurt in Demigod's case because the game itself is really good. The botched launch hurt it's long term viability though.

Commentary - here's what I don't get - companies release games that are in shite state.  Now honestly, if you believe these guys released this game knowing it was a piece of crap, then you should not buy from them again.  PERIOD.  But if you believe they just didn't know it was a piece of crap... well, that's another story.  That's my take on elemental.  I'm completely confident that SD felt they were releasing a solid game when they launched.  I personally am 100% sure that if Brad thought the game was a POS, he would have not launched it even if it meant a loss of money or looking stupid or whatever.  That said, if these guys are in the same boat, then I say support them.  If they are crapheads that decided to just release it because they needed to meet some bottom line (eg suckers that buy the game retail before reading any reviews), then screw them. 

The real story, though, is that companies like Kerberos and Stardock need better practices in place to ensure that games are solid on multiple platforms BEFORE release and they need to be held accountable.  Brad - if you don't have a QA setup using intel/amd and nvidia/ati setups... well shame on you.  And the QA should cover win7 and win XP (dual boot or multiple boxes).  That's how QA should happen.  Anyway, fingers crossed for Fallen Enchantress.  I really hope it won't have any of the issues that were present in Elemental. 

And last - I really do love both companies.  I really want the best for them and for both companies to release solid games and be highly profitable.  I just am sick of seeing "cockups."

We saw what happened with Stardock where they got too wrapped up in their own work and didn't have anybody at 5000 feet above it to say "hey guys, WTF?" That's a risk when you self-publish.

In this case? Paradox's job as the publisher is to step in and say "no this is not release worthy". They failed, as Paradox ALWAYS does. Depending on who you believe Kerberos either just lost sight of it or had to release due to lack of money. Paradox has no such problem and this debacle ultimately rests on them.

If I was running Paradox, I'd be setting up one of my own QA guys to look at every project and empower them to put the brakes on a launch when it's this far from being ready. That's the only way to improve their reputation as a publisher that throws anything out the door.

November 1, 2011 8:40:57 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Tridus,
Paradox's job as the publisher is to step in and say "no this is not release worthy". They failed, as Paradox ALWAYS does. Depending on who you believe Kerberos either just lost sight of it or had to release due to lack of money. Paradox has no such problem and this debacle ultimately rests on them.

Fair points.  Anyway, hope they manage to salvage the game and turn it into a lot of fun.  I'll certainly be staying away from this for a bit at any rate.

November 1, 2011 11:58:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm a huge fan of SOTS. If you haven't played it, go buy that and enjoy.

SOTS ][, unfortunately, was released in what I'd call early-beta condition. If you haven't already purchased it, I'd advise you to wait a couple months and buy it around Christmas. It certainly has the outlines of a good game, but it's still buggy and feature incomplete.

OTOH, it you player SOTS prime and want to make sure Kerberos has the cash to finish the development of ][, go ahead and buy it, just do so realizing that you're financing the creation of the game you want (a la Minecraft) rather than purchasing it.

November 1, 2011 12:34:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I bought SotS2 on day 1, but waiting a month or so until it stabilizes. I'm keeping track of the patches and will play it when the emergency patches stop rolling in and the dust settles. I'm kinda past the time where I get mad/frustrated about this at this point.. it wasn't a full $60 priced game, and from their previous release I know it's going to be supported so eh. Sucks, but if they fix it, that's what I care about.

November 1, 2011 12:40:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Spitz,
had to release due to lack of money.

This I believe is the truth. I could go into descriptions of likely what, why, and how but I don't feel that it would be beneficial. I honestly believe that they took the actions they took, knowing they would have to bite the bullet of the pr nightmare, because they had absolutely no other option. Poor management aside, that's likely how it stands.

They've got the money flowing in, they've commented that they understand if you want a refund but that they will indeed 'feel' you voting with your dollars. They have enough capital now, hopefully with the patches they can get things back to the way it ought to be.

November 2, 2011 10:43:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I would agree that the game is still in some kind of unfinished beta state.  I was patient with the bungled launch (seriously though, compiling the wrong version of the game for launch day is pathetically sad), but even after the initial patch the game has so many problems and feels unfinished.

Even beyond its unfinished state, I'm concerned about the added level of complexity with the fleet management system.  Maybe it will make end-game fleet management easier, but for me it just feels like an added layer of complexity.  I think they could have added detail to a modernized SOTS without the Fleet Mission system.

Most of these games when I first get my hands on them I can't stop playing, and for SOTS2 I feel like I'm forcing myself to play waiting for something cool to happen, at which point I encounter a bug / broken feature.

Please don't take this as a rant, I'm sure they are going to fix things up.  I'm pretty patient overall, but this is indeed one of the worst game launches I've seen.  If you haven't purchased it yet, give it some time before you spend your money.

I'm also pretty annoyed it was not clearly marked as requiring Steam, a company I choose not to support.

November 2, 2011 11:45:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Finished downloading SotS II during the night and just started it to see what it looked like, and it looks just like SotS on the surface.

SotS is a deep game with TONS of customization and features so hope more people buy V-2 and give the game a chance.

Does the game play only in Windowed mode, not fullscreen? (Option button is grayed out at the moment).

November 2, 2011 3:40:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting enoeraew37,

Quoting Bearussr, reply 43I really like it even know the state that the game is in also I have 6hrs of gameplay. I like it more then SotS 1 and i really like that game. This is all my opinion 

6 hrs of gameplay 5 1/2 spent looking at a black screen while the computer runs AI vs AI battles in real time because there is no autoresolve. The rest of the time you either madly clicking directions for your ships since there is no combat automation or trying to figure out what all the pretty numbers mean because there are no tooltips, or other describers. 

Acuity no my game work fine as in not crashing and battles work sort of...but this last up date it keeps crashing on human race so im trying out the liir/zuul race 

November 2, 2011 6:17:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

full screen is Alt-Enter

You should be used to dozens of undocumented hotkeys from SotS

November 2, 2011 6:30:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Update came out today and also they will have one out on Friday too. That one should help out so you don't have to wait for the ai's players to finish their fights unless you want to watch. Can't wait for that.

I actually like seeing random encounters ai's fighting each other. Thats awsome when VN vs system killers or what ever go beat the crap out of each other. As long as it aint me. 

November 2, 2011 7:20:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think today's update is in replacement of Fridays. 

That's what their twitter said at least. 

November 3, 2011 12:15:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Picked this up as a christmas present for myself from my kids (gotta love shopping for yourself) for $27 bucks on gmg (discount + $5 credit).  I figure that way I can let it sit for a few months still get the free dlc they are offering, and be ready to play it next month after Christmas.  Hopefully it will be in a better state at that point.   

Of course, I may be too involved with the FE Beta to care, but we shall see.

November 3, 2011 7:30:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Amusingly, I dropped by here after saying half-jokingly to myself, "I know, I'll distract myself from the state of SOTS by checking in on how Elemental is doing. That'll put things in perspective!"

Pre-purchased (didn't I learn from Elemental? Well, at least I didn't buy a collectors edition..) and downloaded, even upgraded my system to Win7 just so I could play it. And it was completely broken. I was able to push buttons and make ships and fly around, but anything meaningful was either not fully implemented or suffered CTD bugs.

But! The update and two patches that have come out since release day have given me something playable, though not terribly fun. But at this point I can see the shape of a game that I'll obsess over as much as I did the original. Everything's a bit buggy and slow to respond, and whole subsystems (civilian trade, diplomacy) are shut off pending rebalancing, but what's there is a lot of fun being held back by bugs and crashes. Quite a contrast to Elemental, which I found to be fundamentally broken underneath all the bugs (though I still hold out hope for FE!)

November 6, 2011 4:01:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting awuffleablehedgie,
full screen is Alt-Enter
You should be used to dozens of undocumented hotkeys from SotS

Thanks for the tip .

And now for SotS II First Impressions - Part Deux

After spending 23 hours (within 4 days ) on SotS2 to date, I'm finding it immersive. If youve read the books by David Weber, this is his naval combat come to life, somewhat.

The cinematics during the opening is fantastic, with the camera panning and zooming at psychedelic ships, missiles and space stations.

Current downsides are long load times between screens, crashes at particular times (like when combat end coincides with a status message, at that time you can use the keyboard but as soon as you move the mouse it crashes to desktop, maybe cause my keyboard is wired but mouse is wireless.. :-/ ), and when I was playing with 3 AIs the game seemed to be calculating the age of the universe above turn 150 (I checked twice, it was more than 10 minutes after end turn). I restarted playing with just 1 AI opponent.

November 10, 2011 8:23:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The latest update fixed some of the long lag time switching screens, and improved the performance, but much still needs to be done. The Free DLC is there, but not activated yet (greyed out in the menu), There is still missing content (barren planet textures missing so you just see a black ball), and missing features.

SotS 1 was about as rocky of a launch as SotS 2 at first as well, but as it was polished up through the patches it became quite enjoyable. I am expecting the same with SotS 2.

BTW SotS, and Sins do not compare. Its Apples, and Oranges.

November 11, 2011 5:49:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really, really like the first one, therefore i wont call for a refund. But they used up any credit they had with me with that launch.

Dont buy yet, and to be honest, better wait for the first bundled expansion.

There is just much missing and / or not working atm (Trade, Diplomacy, Combat, Admiral Skills) . But the worst offender is that horrible UI.

JMHO

November 11, 2011 12:53:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just picked up Sword of the Stars: Complete Collection. Got it imported from the UK via a seller on www.amazon.com

Installed and still loving it like I did before. When the kinks get worked out on SotSII I'll likely give it a shot.

November 13, 2011 10:54:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Skyrim has taken over the Steam Universe, seems 8 out of 10 people are online playing Skyrim.

Meanwhile, Ive logged 57 hours on SotS2 so far. Disabled the random encounters by modifying an XML file so am able to concentrate on playing the game rather than swatting irritating Swarms, Spectres and Von Newmans.

After yesterdays update there are no more crashes for me, and the screen transitions are much faster.

I do wish there was an option to play a game with *all* techs unlocked, and with a vault full of cash so that Xperimentation and Xplosions could be done at the expense of Xploring and Xpansion.

January 5, 2012 9:14:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So how does the game look now?

I was hoping to be working on Rebellion by now, but since that's going to take some time, I was thinking of picking this game up.  I never played the original, but only have so much time, so I'll put my duckits in this bucket if it's decent.

Thanks for any input!

January 5, 2012 11:34:02 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I'll second ReadyMan and ask for an update from anyone playing. Is all good? I've been waiting on this, the first game is still enjoyable.

So news guys, good or bad?

January 6, 2012 12:17:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They've fixed all the critical things and hang-ups and have re-enabled a lot of content. It plays like a game now but they're still not at where they should've been at launch. In the coming month there will be a couple huge patches that actually complete the game (and lord forbid, start to balance it). At least, that's the schedule. With the way they put out fast and furious updates the last two months, I'm pretty sure they'll have it in good working order by the end of January. It is fun to play, but I'm waiting for everything to be finished (government, psionics, AI, etc.) before really engrossing myself.

January 6, 2012 12:24:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm still waiting for a boxed copy ...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time: