The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

A brief look at the features of Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

By on October 13, 2011 2:17:14 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

With the beta of Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion approaching, it’s time to start talking a bit about its features.  That is, what’s new in it?

This is, by  no means, a complete list:

Six new factions

In Sins of a Solar Empire, there were 3 races – TEC, Advent, Vasari.  Hopefully by now you know something about the grand histories of each of these mighty races.

In Rebellion, as the name implies, things have kind of gone to hell. 

The start of the game is very much like Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity. You are picking one of the three races.  But during the course of the game, the player has to make some tough choices. As the civil war escalates, players can choose to become a Loyalist or a Rebel. In doing so, a whole range of new technologies open up.

I can say that these aren’t cosmetic things either. The Vasari Rebels, for example, go a very different direction than the Vasari Loyalists.

The Tech Trees

As briefly discussed above, these new factions come with their own tech trees which let players take on some very new strategies that should be quite interesting to see play out.

The Titans

The civil war can become pretty brutal as each loyalist and rebel faction now has access to its own Titan class ship. Titans are big, powerful, and rare.

The new ships

In addition, there are some new battleships with some interesting abilities coming into play. Similarly, there are new corvette class ships coming into the game.

New music

Yes, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion has a new sound track (along with new effects).

New Multiplayer system

While Sins of a Solar Empire will continue to have a spectacular single player experience (the AI has gotten a lot of attention), the multiplayer experience has gotten a lot of attention. We’ll be talking a lot more about this in the comin gweeks.

New Graphics system

Sins of a Solar Empire’s graphics have always been on of its strengths. But Rebellion takes it to a new level. One of the things that really brings a sense of scale to the new ships is the new shadowing system.  There’s nothing quite so humbling than to see a Dreadnought become shadowed by a passing Titan.

New Modding System

A new Galaxy Forge has been developed along with a new Particle Forge. These have been heavily used to update the in game maps and really spice up the existing effects.

Optimization

While not as “sexy” as the other things on this list,  a lot of time has gone into optimizing the memory and CPU use of the Iron Engine.  Some of this was done so that the AI could be enhanced further without slowing down the game.

So this is just a glimpse of what’s going on with Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. 

+912 Karma | 76 Replies
October 13, 2011 2:42:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Patiently waiting.....*Rocking back and forth in the dark with a zippo, lighting it then closing*Lighting A Lighter Smiley 

October 13, 2011 3:49:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Good news! Also good to read there are not only cosmetic changes, but also improvements of the AI and Iron Engine. Can't wait to hear more about the new ships. Hopefully it is not only new magic, but also some new raw firepower.

October 13, 2011 4:12:02 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

More excited.  Thanks for some more news!

October 13, 2011 4:45:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For some reason i'm so much more excited about the CPU optimizations, but that's saying something because the rest of it just sounds amazing.

Can't wait to hear more about everything!

October 13, 2011 4:56:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

New Multiplayer system

While Sins of a Solar Empire will continue to have a spectacular single player experience (the AI has gotten a lot of attention), the multiplayer experience has gotten a lot of attention. We’ll be talking a lot more about this in the comin gweeks.

The gweeks are comin the gweeks are comin! Sorry, I could not resist.

October 13, 2011 4:57:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks a lot for this new list!

Looking forward to the beta, impatiently...

October 13, 2011 6:02:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I hope they figure out a way to auto dock the s/c when no enemies are in the well. Looking forward to the beta.

October 13, 2011 8:39:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

"While Sins of a Solar Empire will continue to have a spectacular single player experience (the AI has gotten a lot of attention), the multiplayer experience has gotten a lot of attention. We’ll be talking a lot more about this in the comin gweeks."

Us MP geeks are awaiting the information in the comin' weeks.  Best typo EVAH.  Thank you for the info Frogboy, I'm very glad I made my preorder.

October 14, 2011 12:01:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Custom map auto-downloading please please please please?

October 14, 2011 12:08:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Wrath89,
Custom map auto-downloading please please please please?

Yes, Sins can already transfer map designer maps, is it any harder to allow it to transfer GalaxyForge ones?

Further, I advise that the Devs add custom map sharing to Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.

October 14, 2011 12:37:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I was just going to ask about custom map auto-download, but you guys beat me to it.

October 14, 2011 6:11:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

what bout a trailer???

huh?,huh?,huh?,huh?,huh?,huh?,huh?,huh?,huh?,huh?,huh?,huh?,huh?,huh?,huh?,huh?       srry for the spam just excited!

October 14, 2011 9:38:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

October 14, 2011 6:14:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

A high quality trailer might help market the game.  I think the trailer for Eve is pretty cool and it increases my curiosity about the game.  I don't see why Sins couldn't or shouldn't have something similar to that.

Eve Trailer

October 14, 2011 8:01:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have always liked that trailer since I first saw it, and I agree that a good trailer needs to be done for Rebellion.

October 14, 2011 10:33:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

"Gweeks"--that's a "Geek Week" for those of you non-techies.

October 16, 2011 3:42:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sots 2, Distant Worlds Legends and Sins Rebellion... my sci fi fix is looking good this fall/winter. Awesome work!

October 16, 2011 8:26:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Custom map auto download? Please?  

Dreadnoughts?

Lastly, do we HAVE to choose Rebel or Loyalist as a faction? Do we still have the option of sticking with a 'Non-Rebel & Non-Loyalist' tech tree?

October 16, 2011 8:31:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting boshimi336,
Lastly, do we HAVE to choose Rebel or Loyalist as a faction? Do we still have the option of sticking with a 'Non-Rebel & Non-Loyalist' tech tree?

From what I hear yes but no Titan is available.

October 17, 2011 11:09:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Ryat,
From what I hear yes but no Titan is available.

That would be A-Okay with me!

October 17, 2011 6:07:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I feel as if I am going to burst.

October 18, 2011 3:29:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I cannot wait

October 18, 2011 6:07:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I will join the fray of online ICO when Rebellion comes out. I am glad they will push multiplayer this time.

October 18, 2011 10:20:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If they plan to push multi-player they should REALLY support automatic downloads of custom maps for everyone that logs into a match.

Further, I advise, in fact, BEG that the Devs add custom map sharing to Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

October 18, 2011 10:53:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting boshimi336,
Further, I advise that the Devs add custom map sharing to Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.

Indeed, everyone should join out Catoic campaign and make sure the Devs can't miss just how popular this idea is. Especially as it would be so easy to implement, as already mentioned in this thread.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.