The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Just how big are the Titans?

By on September 13, 2011 3:17:14 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is the most significant change in the Sins universe since the original release. Not only are there twice as many factions to choose from but the already impressive scale of warfare gets a big boost with the introduction of the Titan class ships which absolutely dwarf the existing capital ships (see in screenshot a favorite TEC battle cruiser class capital ship).

Not surprising, the Sins of a Solar Empire engine (the Iron Engine) required a significant upgrade to deliver these spectacular enhancements in scale.

If you don’t have Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity already --  get it now.  It’ll be the only way to get into the beta for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion which is due out this Fall.

Locked Post 56 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 13, 2011 3:45:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That's not a cruiser, it's a Capital Ship, the largest class of vessel in the first game, and it's subsequent expansions, a cruiser is smaller than a Capital Ship.

September 13, 2011 3:54:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting BrotherBulger,
It’ll be the only way to get into the beta for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

That is a bit of a misleading way to state that. Trinity owners will be chosen for beta but simply owning Trinity doesn't guarantee it.

September 13, 2011 4:28:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting BrotherBulger,
That's not a cruiser, it's a Capital Ship, the largest class of vessel in the first game, and it's subsequent expansions, a cruiser is smaller than a Capital Ship.

He said battle cruiser.  A description of the ship, not it's class.  Note the Titan is described as Titan class cruiser in the picture.

September 13, 2011 4:29:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's not a battlecruiser, either.

September 13, 2011 4:30:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Didn't say Battlecruiser.  Said battle cruiser.

September 13, 2011 4:38:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's a big ship with guns, next to a bigger ship with guns.

September 13, 2011 4:39:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ,

It’ll be the only way to get into the beta for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion which is due out this Fall.

Anybody catch that last line?!?

w00t!!! Can't wait. 

I wonder how they will select the beta testers?  *cough* (maybe some of us who have modded the game) *cough*

September 13, 2011 6:02:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

DEEEEEEE lightful

September 13, 2011 6:46:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just going to minefield every planet I own and let this titan beast come to me 

September 13, 2011 7:15:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ,
Not surprising, the Sins of a Solar Empire engine (the Iron Engine) required a significant upgrade to deliver these spectacular enhancements in scale.

Well, again, i don't agree... seem that Stardock underestimate the power of the Iron Engine in it's actual state...

The screenshot below was taken in Entrenchment ( in game, not a Maya render )... with a Kol too for scale purpose... the space station is somehow a little bigger that a Titan...

Well, the entrenchment sins engine have not problem for render the model who is around 50k triangle ( well, around 1/2 of the poly are used for the 122 double barrel turret and the 76 torpedo tube )... for the texture, due to UV optimization, i use 3 set of map... one sized like capital, one sized like frigate and one sized like fighter... use at least 33% less memory that actual starbase and allow very high detail like show in the next screenshot ( as today, only the ring, weapons and back section is fully textured )...

I will not use these topic for promote any mod but these spacestation is for a mod who have more that 10 faction and who run on entrenchment ( and so, don't enjoy the already existing diplomacy engine upgrade )... Of course any upgrade of the Iron engine for Rebellion is welcome, it simply mean that modders will be able to push further the limit...

It is right to say that any upgrade/expansion have lead SOASE to new limit that we have enjoy each time... but i need to say that you seem to always underestimate the capabilities of your own product... In the case of Rebellion, the major chance is the move from shader 2.x to 3.x ... it can be revolutionary at the fx level and lead to great improvement at the level of particle effect... high scale model and more faction is not revolutionary since actual or older iron engine can already make it...

September 13, 2011 7:34:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's just a titan vs. capital ship scale pic.

September 13, 2011 7:43:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
It's just a titan vs. capital ship scale pic.

Gee...way split hairs guys.

The Frog was just excited for new SINS stuff.

September 13, 2011 8:07:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I know... really wish to have ingame ( rebellion ) screenshot who show the real visual improvement of the iron engine ( maybe due to shader 3.0 )... you know, the "Updated graphics bring Sins of a Solar Empire to life as never before, with new particle effects, enhanced textures, and improved shading"...

My reply was mainly motivated by your OP... first show a big ship and after speak about the need to improve the iron engine due to scale...

I am pretty sure that i will enjoy rebellion like i have enjoy all your other expansion pack... usually, it is the goodies that you don't promote who are the more interesting for me...

By the way, "If you don’t have Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity already --  get it now.  It’ll be the only way to get into the beta for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion" is somehow unfair... People who have support you from the beginning and have buy the original game, Entrenchment and Diplomacy are excluded... but people who have buy the game later ( Trinity ) will be able to beta test Rebellion... 

September 13, 2011 8:40:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll say it again, grav well sizes must increase.

September 13, 2011 11:17:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So, only folks who have Trinity will be chosen? What about those of us who bought the game when it came out, and therefore purchased the expansions individually when they came out rather than getting the base game all over again?

September 13, 2011 11:22:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll say it again (I really didn't say anything yet) - cool picture.  Seeing the comparison is awesome.  Thanks for sharing the info and I hope more is to follow.  I saw the screenie and it helped me understand that the scope is about to get a wee bit bigger.  Really looking forward to details in the future and I love the concept at the very least.

September 13, 2011 11:28:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Errr...will ALL Trinity owners get in the beta?

I'm all for supporting Stardock but I own all the expansions.  I would buy it if I was certain it would get me in the beta.

September 13, 2011 11:52:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Fulgrymm,
So, only folks who have Trinity will be chosen? What about those of us who bought the game when it came out, and therefore purchased the expansions individually when they came out rather than getting the base game all over again?

Quoting Thoumsin,
People who have support you from the beginning and have buy the original game, Entrenchment and Diplomacy are excluded... but people who have buy the game later ( Trinity ) will be able to beta test Rebellion...

Trinity = Diplomacy + expansions, when they say one them also mean the other.

That said, I thought the beta was for those that preordered, not just existing trinity/diplomacy players.

September 13, 2011 11:55:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Seems how Trinity = Original + Entrenchment + Diplomacy even those of us that bought the series piecemeal will get a piece of the action.

September 13, 2011 11:59:58 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

More pictures please!

September 14, 2011 8:55:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Stardock  Do you and everyone a favor and stop selling all the different packages of Sins.

You have confused people (the dumb one's , but still) with the Trinity package name.

Just rename everything to Sins Rebellion, and thats it, since Rebellion will have all previous content no one will be at a loss.

Constantly on the boards it's fractured down to, Diplomacy, Entrenchment, and the people for years behind that still play vanilla.

September 14, 2011 1:53:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I happy to see this. I tried ICO back in the day but didn't do that great..... Have had much more success in PC Fps's since (have a bit of a name for my self in Crysis 2) but I am looking forward to coming back to the PC's true genre epic space RTS's.

September 16, 2011 3:13:44 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

people who brought sins and all the add-ons separately on their first release cant get in the beta?  

September 16, 2011 5:08:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Trinity is Diplomacy, so you count too.

September 16, 2011 9:11:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That is the coolest ship i've ever seen.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.