The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

A Fond Farewell to Demigod

By on August 24, 2011 4:34:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+183

Well, the day has come for me to move on from Demigod (or retire, as zen_god once put it).  As I’ve always been pretty vocal on the forums, I thought I’d take a moment and thank some people and reflect instead of just fading away.

IMO, Demigod has the best game play in its genre.  That’s why I’ve been playing as long as I have and I’d wager those of you reading this feel the same.  Stardock and GPG created a truly excellent core game that’s easy to pick up and play, but difficult to master.   The game design is superb and the balance is reasonable. 

But then there are the problems.  Game killing problems, unfortunately.  Most, if not all of us, have felt the pain of an invalid game state ending a game abruptly.   Or the same feeling when someone on your team crashes and now it’s a 2v3 and there’s slim to no chance of a win.  Nothing is quite as fun as putting 20 minutes into a game and having it turn from a win into a loss because of technical issues.  There’s no “real” matchmaking.  The stat system is broke and easily exploited.  And the community generally frowned very heavily on forming teams to raise the level of competition.  In short, those elements that could have made the game a competitive masterpiece simply don’t exist and never will.   You can have a sense of competitiveness against individual players, but no decent way to measure it. 

So, on one hand I have a brilliant game that I love; on the other hand are technical woes that dried up our community to a paltry number.   I felt like this game could have become the next counterstrike/team fortress 2 with a reasonably sustained population; but that’s just not possible due to those technical issues.  Anyway, the networking isn’t going to get any better here in Demigod, so I don’t really see a big surge in population in the near future.  What I do see is us long timers slowly moving on.

And so, that’s what I’m doing. 

Brad and everyone at Stardock and GPG – thank you for creating such a great game!  It’s consumed hours and hours of my time and brought me quite a bit of enjoyment.  I’ve had substantially more fun than frustration .  I do hope that we’ll hear something about a Demigod 2 or a “spiritual successor” sometime soon as I’m sure I’ll be back for that. 

Thanks to everyone on the SD staff that took time to answer my questions and respond to game issues, etc.  You’ve been great at helping out when problems arise and its always been good to know that you folks would update us.  Not a lot of companies handle things the way you do at SD, and I’m grateful for it. 

Thanks to everyone in the modding community that took the time to create great content.  My personal thanks to peppe and the_hunger (AI mod), miriyaka (uberfix and coaching other modders), exxcentric (enfos and favor mod), bman (ui mod), and lord orion (balance and moba mods).  You all made Demigod a better game and future players of Demigod owe you a debt of gratitude for all your hard work simply for the love of the game (or the love of modding, for that matter).  Thank you all!

And last – thanks to those of you that play or played the game and participate on the forums.  I’m grateful to have met you and thank you for giving your time to play some enjoyable games with me.  I know I’ve done my part by trying to organize tournaments, etc, but without you folks being diehard fans of the game and choosing to participate, even that wouldn’t have happened and perhaps we’d have moved on some time ago.

To anyone that stumbles upon this post sometime in the future having just picked up Demigod – yes, the game does have its problems; but it is a gem.  I hope you enjoy your time with the game as much as I have.

Cheers,

pacov

Locked Post 32 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 28, 2011 6:28:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi Pacov, thanks for the help dude, appreciate it.

August 28, 2011 7:10:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Arkane7,
Hey guys, I've just received my game today. I signed up and updated impulse in order to play an internet game. When I went to join a custom match I couldnt find any, not one. Then I tried the Pantheon Tournament option but it said I was the only player waiting for a match. Is this normal, could there really be not a single game going on at a particular time? Or perhaps (i hope) the servers are just down. Thanks.

Pacov I enjoyed the games I had with you and some epics when DG first launched (some 5v5 actually worked!) I have a different opinion than you tho - this game brought me more unhappiness than enjoyment by far. It is the most rage-inducing game ever created, and that's evident by the assholes I encountered (Including myself) whilst playing demigod.

I'd give DG a go if something MAJOR happened like a complete takeover by another developer and COMPLETE rebuild, or DG2.

Since they "accidently" crashed the servers I knew that was my chance to escape this shithouse addiction and go play something else... the thought of loading Demigod now makes me cringe. I'd rather eat a hat full of arse than put up with the time wasting this game provides.

Arjkane7 learn to meditate or get a good book brother, this game will give you plenty of hours of sitting there with an empty screen waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waitingwaiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waitingwaiting, waiting, wwaiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waitingwaiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waitingwaiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waiting waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waitingaiting, waiting, waiting waitingwaiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting,waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waitingwaiting, waiting,waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waitingwaiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waitingwaiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waitingwaiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waiting waiting, waiting, waiting waitingwaiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waitingwaiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting waiting

August 28, 2011 7:11:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

oh, forgot to mention, PLAY team fortress2 or Company of Heroes for a good time! Forget that dota and LOL shit.

August 29, 2011 2:04:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LOL, yeah I know what you mean. With the amount of DG players dropping with the introduction of HON and LOL, you'd think the current players would be more accomodating. While some are really cool, most kick you out without a word for high ping (which i guess is understandable) but there are others who dont want to play with you if you stats are too low. Since I've played only a few games, they automatically assume you can't play the game and complain you will bring the team down. As a gamer, I don't mind having a weak player on my side, as long as you're playing! Instead most of the time spent with DG is just waiting, waiting and more waiting lol then you get guys who come into games, don't click ready. Then another guy jumps out. then the first guy clicks ready, then somebody else joins, and the 3rd guy jumps out. Then we add a bot, then another guy joins, we remove the bot, then the 4th guy jumps out. It really is rage inducing.... But once you get a game started, its awesome I finally found a game like 15 min ago but one guy on my team didnt want to play with me due to my low stats. Now when I went back, I see they're still waiting lol. Guess I might as well play some LOTRO for now.

August 29, 2011 2:31:58 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

If you are a brand new player, you typically have to host your own games.  As you get to know folks, eventually you'll be able to play in most games.  It certainly can be frustrating at first, though. 

September 1, 2011 7:05:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It seems that I soon shall completely abandon Demigod also. For some reason I've got lots of "0" pings with demigod players (nothing has changed with my connection, etc). So nowadays it is nearly impossible to get 6 people with normal pings to me... Guess after that server break something changed... Or I'd play it only on gameranger... At least there it works...

September 6, 2011 9:25:36 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Thanks for taking the time to read and hope to catch you elsewhere.  Closing the thread.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: