The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

A Fond Farewell to Demigod

By on August 24, 2011 4:34:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+182

Well, the day has come for me to move on from Demigod (or retire, as zen_god once put it).  As I’ve always been pretty vocal on the forums, I thought I’d take a moment and thank some people and reflect instead of just fading away.

IMO, Demigod has the best game play in its genre.  That’s why I’ve been playing as long as I have and I’d wager those of you reading this feel the same.  Stardock and GPG created a truly excellent core game that’s easy to pick up and play, but difficult to master.   The game design is superb and the balance is reasonable. 

But then there are the problems.  Game killing problems, unfortunately.  Most, if not all of us, have felt the pain of an invalid game state ending a game abruptly.   Or the same feeling when someone on your team crashes and now it’s a 2v3 and there’s slim to no chance of a win.  Nothing is quite as fun as putting 20 minutes into a game and having it turn from a win into a loss because of technical issues.  There’s no “real” matchmaking.  The stat system is broke and easily exploited.  And the community generally frowned very heavily on forming teams to raise the level of competition.  In short, those elements that could have made the game a competitive masterpiece simply don’t exist and never will.   You can have a sense of competitiveness against individual players, but no decent way to measure it. 

So, on one hand I have a brilliant game that I love; on the other hand are technical woes that dried up our community to a paltry number.   I felt like this game could have become the next counterstrike/team fortress 2 with a reasonably sustained population; but that’s just not possible due to those technical issues.  Anyway, the networking isn’t going to get any better here in Demigod, so I don’t really see a big surge in population in the near future.  What I do see is us long timers slowly moving on.

And so, that’s what I’m doing. 

Brad and everyone at Stardock and GPG – thank you for creating such a great game!  It’s consumed hours and hours of my time and brought me quite a bit of enjoyment.  I’ve had substantially more fun than frustration .  I do hope that we’ll hear something about a Demigod 2 or a “spiritual successor” sometime soon as I’m sure I’ll be back for that. 

Thanks to everyone on the SD staff that took time to answer my questions and respond to game issues, etc.  You’ve been great at helping out when problems arise and its always been good to know that you folks would update us.  Not a lot of companies handle things the way you do at SD, and I’m grateful for it. 

Thanks to everyone in the modding community that took the time to create great content.  My personal thanks to peppe and the_hunger (AI mod), miriyaka (uberfix and coaching other modders), exxcentric (enfos and favor mod), bman (ui mod), and lord orion (balance and moba mods).  You all made Demigod a better game and future players of Demigod owe you a debt of gratitude for all your hard work simply for the love of the game (or the love of modding, for that matter).  Thank you all!

And last – thanks to those of you that play or played the game and participate on the forums.  I’m grateful to have met you and thank you for giving your time to play some enjoyable games with me.  I know I’ve done my part by trying to organize tournaments, etc, but without you folks being diehard fans of the game and choosing to participate, even that wouldn’t have happened and perhaps we’d have moved on some time ago.

To anyone that stumbles upon this post sometime in the future having just picked up Demigod – yes, the game does have its problems; but it is a gem.  I hope you enjoy your time with the game as much as I have.

Cheers,

pacov

Locked Post 32 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 24, 2011 4:43:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With pacov leaving the game, the only support left is dead. R.I.P. demigod

August 24, 2011 5:36:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agree with the previous speaker. I understand Pacov, but you where holding this together really.

Its still a great game. Will play it still but somehome it lacks something now...

I might move on to multiplayer Starcraft 2. But still be here as well.

August 24, 2011 5:53:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

awww maeeeen!!!!!!!!.... cya laterz champ - yeah its definitely dead now.

Now what is this LoL thing?  

P.S. As if you wont smurf one now and then ))

August 24, 2011 5:59:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting doggu,
its a disease

August 24, 2011 6:30:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nnnils,
its a disease

Ha! From the replays i have seen it definitely looks like some sort of pox. Wait for dota2 beta you reckon?

August 24, 2011 6:33:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah... Such time should have come... I also am barely playing demigod lately... That ~2 weeks break was enough for most players to move onto something else...

Quoting doggu,

Nearly everything opposite to demigod. Not great graphics, atmosphere, etc., but loads of support, community, etc.

August 25, 2011 12:21:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll still be popping on and off the forums, but I doubt I'll be chiming in much on game play discussions, etc.  I've always felt like I have a right to comment on current players if I'm an active player and a little less of a right to comment if I'm not.  I just don't foresee myself playing Demigod anytime soon.  And that could turn into not playing DG again.  I've enjoyed my time and had plenty of fun, but at this point I'm really eating up lol and would rather dump my free time into playing with pals over there than continue to invest more time in dg.  I feel like I more or less lost my competitive spirit with Demigod a long time ago.  I mean, sure, I'd play whatever match up, but more often than not it just resulted in me playing entertaining mid games with a tier 1 on the other team to counter me or whatever.  That's fun and all, but its not the same thing as tier 1 matches.  Those true pro games became a once in a blue moon experience for me anyway.  I'm glad I was able to get some fun challenging games in towards the end as well.  My 1 goal of being able to play consistently on a pro team never really happened.  I'd have loved to be able to be a part of something like that, but it is what it is.  Pug's don't want to play against a premade and good premades eventually went the way of the dodo. 

Anyway, I can't stress enough how much fun its been and I hope to see you all in lol or some other game. I was very happy to play my part in the community, etc.  I'm glad for everyone that chose to stick around due to my efforts with tournaments, etc.  Thanks for for all the good times and please do look me up! 

heh - and no, doggu, I won't reemerge as a smurf account tomorrow.  If you see me, it will be as cheesuscrust. 

August 25, 2011 1:21:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

that's why when I invite you to demigod you gotta come, cause I organize true pro games:)

August 25, 2011 9:21:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting visca_el_barca,
Zen is a noob

Quoting JUSThaveFUN,
that's why when I invite you to demigod you gotta come, cause I organize true pro games

Something is wrong here...

August 25, 2011 11:10:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've been feeling the same way lately Pacov. Played some Demigod games (normal and modded) and pretty much feel it is time to move on.

If anything, you've kept this forum going longer then it should have, so good work and thanks.

The next real game I am interested in is Skyrim, so I'll probably be off the radar for a bit.

But I know many people here casually from other games (from total annihilation and uberhack modding to Dawn of War II) so I'm sure we'll all cross paths sooner or later in some other game. After all I am a nerd and like to game and mod.

Cheers

August 25, 2011 12:30:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

GGS bro, we'll play some more LOL.  (Although it is not nearly as good as DG for a multitude of reasons)

Im playing Deus Ex now though, which is aweome and i highly recommend it !

Thanks for being an awesome community member, and doing everything that you did to help the community !  There are a lot of us who appreciate the extra work and time you put into it !

j

August 25, 2011 5:41:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorry to see u go. Thanks for all the games and the work u did for the game and the community u will be missed for sure. It will not be quite the same without you. I might have to give LOL another try. Tried it

once a year ago or so but it just wasnt DG. Its been fun playing with you.

August 25, 2011 6:53:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ragnorrock,
once a year ago or so but it just wasnt DG. Its been fun playing with you.
yeah it's sad that we all have to give in for less quality just to be able to play something that actually works and is similar to Demigod. 

August 25, 2011 7:29:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I enjoyed our games as well rags.  Hope to see you again in other games. 

August 25, 2011 7:36:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
I enjoyed our games as well rags. Hope to see you again in other games.
we just had an all assasin game in honor of you 

August 25, 2011 8:11:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

August 26, 2011 3:08:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nnnils,

Quoting doggu, reply 4Now what is this LoL thing? its a disease

It's actually pretty good nnnils.  I just started playing on Tuesday and have pretty much only stopped when I need to eat and sleep hahaha.  It makes me feel a little uneasy being able to start a game almost instantly with however many people I feel like playing with though.  

August 26, 2011 6:18:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GM-McShane87,
It's actually pretty good nnnils. I just started playing on Tuesday and have pretty much only stopped when I need to eat and sleep hahaha. It makes me feel a little uneasy being able to start a game almost instantly with however many people I feel like playing with though.
I reckoned.. Im sure LoL is a fun game but I dont wanna start a new game right now cuz im planning to quit online gaming after dg.

And u should still come over and play with us sometimes - had some super fun games yesterday.. renz was back to kick some ass

August 26, 2011 8:34:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nnnils,

Quoting GM-McShane87, reply 19It's actually pretty good nnnils. I just started playing on Tuesday and have pretty much only stopped when I need to eat and sleep hahaha. It makes me feel a little uneasy being able to start a game almost instantly with however many people I feel like playing with though. I reckoned.. Im sure LoL is a fun game but I dont wanna start a new game right now cuz im planning to quit online gaming after dg.

And u should still come over and play with us sometimes - had some super fun games yesterday.. renz was back to kick some ass

Haha why are you quitting?  I was under the impression that you're still a young man.  What's going on here?  You have something you need to tell me?  What do you got tendinitis?  Carpal tunnel?  Compressed spine from spitting in your computer chair too long?  Talk to me.  

I haven't quit DG I'll still play, zen told me to add him on facebook to get games going but I don't use it.  You should've made a post in the game nights thread, I would've been there, or pm me in vent.  

August 26, 2011 9:25:48 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

hey guys - if you do want to talk about lol, please do that over here:  forums.joeuser.com/411269/page/4.

This thread isn't really about leaving DG for another game.  It's more about telling folks they are appreciated and being glad to have played DG. 

August 26, 2011 4:40:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nnnils,

Quoting GM-McShane87, reply 25Haha why are you quitting? I was under the impression that you're still a young man. What's going on here? You have something you need to tell me? What do you got tendinitis? Carpal tunnel? Compressed spine from spitting in your computer chair too long? Talk to me. Im all fine lol

Quoting GM-McShane87, reply 25I haven't quit DG I'll still play, zen told me to add him on facebook to get games going but I don't use it. You should've made a post in the game nights thread, I would've been there, or pm me in vent. k cool i will use that thread then or use vent next time.
just get LoL and you can instamessage 20 demigod player, you don't even have to play. makes sure it's US version though

August 26, 2011 6:50:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting JUSThaveFUN,

Quoting GM-McShane87, reply 25I haven't quit DG I'll still play, zen told me to add him on facebook to get games going but I don't use it. You should've made a post in the game nights thread, I would've been there, or pm me in vent. what's your nick in LoL? I'll find you there:)

I'm McShane87

August 27, 2011 10:46:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey guys, I've just received my game today. I signed up and updated impulse in order to play an internet game. When I went to join a custom match I couldnt find any, not one. Then I tried the Pantheon Tournament option but it said I was the only player waiting for a match. Is this normal, could there really be not a single game going on at a particular time? Or perhaps (i hope) the servers are just down. Thanks.

August 27, 2011 12:20:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey arkane - you can see if there are games open or running at any particular time by opening impulse.  Then, click on community (tab at the top) and then click on games (tab at the bottom).  Games that show a status of "Waiting" are open games.  There are times when no games are open.  As you are new, you'll probably want to host some noob player games, but it can take a bit for the lobbies to show up.  Here are some threads that will be useful to you just getting started:

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/408636

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/399399

and this last one is just a new player guide that should be somewhat useful:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/365224

Oh - and don't bother with pantheon.  Very few people use that, so you could be waiting an exceptionally long time.  Just try to host or join custom games. 

August 27, 2011 1:09:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wow what have i missed

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001391   Page Render Time: