The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The natives may not be friendly

By on February 9, 2011 5:52:37 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Jeff Vogel has a great blog about how creators should never read their forums. It’s definitely worth a read.

Now, as you guys know, I do read our forums. A lot.  Why? Because I’m dumb. As in, dangerously dumb. I have to consciously remember not to swallow my tongue dumb.

But there’s probably a bit of karmic retribution in there too. I got into making games because I was one of those nerd ragers on Usenet back in the day. Greedy bastardly idiotic game developers who put out games before they’re finished. I’ll show them how it’s done. Only a total moron can’t see when their game isn’t ready for prime time. Cough.

Truth be told though, the Stardock communities are pretty different than most. I hang out on a lot of Internet communities and I think I can safely say that our forums are pretty good. Good enough to the point that someone joining them would likely notice the difference pretty quickly.

We have some advantages there in terms of the type of products we make. No MMORPGs, no FPS’s helps. We have a different demographic. We also rarely but definitely kick out chronic nerd ragers. You can find them on other forums screaming a fit about how they were kicked off because we couldn’t handle a little constructive criticism. Constructive criticism being “You asshats should be disemboweled for your idiocy!”  Everyone knows that it’s ass hat. Not asshat. So of course they got kicked off.

Jeff Vogel is right in what he says. If you read forums, you’ll inevitably get aggravated and say something you shouldn’t.  And nowadays, with game journalism reduced to combing “the nets” for something spicy to get page views, saying things when you’re aggravated carries a lot of risk.

But the question that inevitably comes up over and over is this: Why are we here in the first place? The money? Making niche PC games is not the fast track to money. “It barely pays for my jet fuel™”.  No, the reason, at least for me, is to hang out and talk with other gamers about this stuff.  Not to get all mushy but we’re here because we love you guys. In a manly way that is. Of course. So don’t expect us to disappear any time soon.

Not that’ll stop me from saying horribly inappropriate things from time to time. You bloody basement dwelling troglites. And yes, I’ll be over on Friday to debate the nature of the dark side of the force following the next Clone Wars episode.

+892 Karma | 63 Replies
February 10, 2011 5:16:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If the haters are posting on here, that means, at some level, they think you can make a great game- if they didn't, they'd just write off their losses and leave.  Some things are so mediocre/poor they aren't even worth trolling. 

February 10, 2011 7:15:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It can be difficult depending on your audience, such as with Activision Blizzard games, where the active and vocal members are usually teenage boys who suffer a deadly case of "entitlement" syndrome.  In this instances, it's difficult to see the real problems amongst the garbage.  However, ignoring your fan base entirely - like EA Games or Activision Blizzard - isn't the answer, and leads to things like World of Warcraft, where the developer changes to fundamentals of the game every 12 months in attempt to appease their player base and keep them paying.

Ultimately, it boils down the kind of community that people want and foster.  EA Games are basically entirely absent from their games' communities, and largely leave the community alone.  This is both good and bad; it evolves naturally, however an easily devolve into the DotA Community.  I think the ideal community is something akin to Stardock's approach; interact with your community, however make sure the forum goes understand who's pulling the strings.

If I managed a community, I'd be very intolerant of the "I paid my money, DO AS I SAY" entitlement garbage, as well as the "THIS GAME ISN'T AS GOOD AS [Nosteligc Game]!" crap.  I'd come down like a fucking shower of meteors on this type of behaviour.  Eventually, the only people I hadn't banned would be the ones providing good feedback, and fostering a good, well mannered community.  I'm in the "my forums, my rules" school of thought.  As far as I'm concerned, posting on the forum is not a right, and I'm only too happy to shut up those who don't contribute positively.

February 10, 2011 8:40:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think Feedback is great as long as we can filter the only needed one.

Certainly there will have people  disagree with the way of game play and having potential never ending arguments here and there

I myself experience that

I would love stardock to have your own stand, Just be yourself and listen to the audience selectively on the needed parts.

My personal suggestion on the ideal way would be:

"Shut the door and design the game - face some bottleneck in design - get feedback from forum selectively - shut the door again and continue -

and repeated the things."

As much as I disagree about many of the game play decision and waiting for the expansion, I respect and admire your effort and love to us.

Thanks, Stardock !

February 10, 2011 9:30:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

With some poster that go apeshit, you just need to slap them on the wrist or confront them and they learn to mind, like me.  Others can be intolerable no matter what.  I think Stardock does a good job of handling the board with allowing people to express themselves while keeping the true riff raff out.

February 10, 2011 9:34:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Personally, the developer interaction on the boards is a huge reason as to why I am even here. After purchasing Gal Civ II and browsing the website, I couldn't help but notice the direct interaction that the developers had on the boards. It was a delightfully surprising realization, and one that influenced me greatly in my decision to pre-purchase Elemental: WoM. In fact, while Elemental still has a ways to go to be all that in can be, I honestly find the ability to personally influence a game with so much potential, via the relationship that Stardock has generously facilitated with its community, to be at least as exciting. I don't tend to post on forum boards, but I do post here because the post has the potential to actually mean something to the creators and to their creations.

Anyway, just trying to provide a counter-perspective to Mr. Vogel. There are bad posters who weild a bad influence, but there are also good posters who can inspire and invigorate. Culling the one and fostering the other is the key.

Thanks for being different and interacting with the community, Team Stardock. I appreciate it.

~A Friendly Native

February 10, 2011 9:42:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Iron Kaiser sounds like the name of a bad ass heel Wrestler form the early 80's!  Rowdy Rodey Piper *YAY* takes on his nemesis, the furer of fisticuffs, the archduke of anarchy, the Iron Kaiser! *BOOO*

February 10, 2011 10:00:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was initially very disappointed with Elemental as released.  But I had already found out that the community was fantastic, and I didn't want to leave them.  As time went on I realised that Stardock was not your usual run-of-the-mill company, and even though the release was a bad one, the hearts were good, and the kind of communication that tends to lead to flamewars in many forums on the internet instead lead to the opening of hearts and minds on the Stardock forums.  I'm glad I didn't give the game a six-month break as I said I would.  I would have missed out on a lot of cool stuff.   And it is nice that we can influence the game a little by what we say and do on these forums, like IronKaiser said.  The media likes to say things are totally good or (usually) totally bad, but there are useful and less useful parts about anything complex really (I think the terms "good" and "bad" are "less useful" as they are heavily emotive and frequently involve automatic judgements ).  So I think the way Stardock operates is quite useful (/good), they don't always get everything right (but then again, who does?) and these forums are a sparkling jewel on the internet.

Nurture the useful, deal with the less useful, make the most of what you've got and learn from your mistakes.  I think we're all kinda doing that here.

Isn't it funny that we as humans value experience, but we don't often value the mistakes and the journey we made to get that experience?

Best regards,
Steven.

February 10, 2011 12:18:48 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

It's kind of like running for President.  When you win everyone says you had the best communications strategy, are a great orator, et cetera... the exact same behavior and you lose, you "didn't connect with the American people." 

When your games were flying high, I looked at your company like IronKaiser; I said, "Wow, there's a company that really knows how to connect and be open with its fans to get feedback.  They really get the Internet and they're gonna profit from it."  Then one game comes out wrong and the chorus changes to, "Well of course you're not supposed to listen to the forums!"

February 10, 2011 12:48:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You bloody basement dwelling troglites

all that word weaving magic jus so he could get that off his chest

February 10, 2011 1:41:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think the article is mostly bull. Honestly, with that look on life why would you ever risk anything. There are good and bad posts on a forum, but if you make a game for the grown ups its no problem to discuss in your forum. Stardock is proof of that. After the famous launch of Elemental I think that the frog had a few posts that were a little over the top, but that didnt ruin the forum or the company. Its over now. Some people left and a lot stayed. That was because of the game, not the forum posts.

The people on the forum actually tried to warn about releasing Elemental early. I have seen so many indepth posts on this forum and on civfanatics, that there really is no argument. The players have a lot of great input to give. You just have to ignore some troglodytes

February 10, 2011 1:54:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Iron Kaiser sounds like the name of a bad ass heel Wrestler form the early 80's!  Rowdy Rodey Piper *YAY* takes on his nemesis, the furer of fisticuffs, the archduke of anarchy, the Iron Kaiser! *BOOO*

Wolfgang Krauser just called and wanted his gimmick back.

February 10, 2011 3:11:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

And yes, I’ll be over on Friday to debate the nature of the dark side of the force following the next Clone Wars episode.

This is awesome.

February 10, 2011 5:07:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's funny that games like Bulletstorm and Splatterhouse are called "Mature" games when they are anything but.  I would call Stardock games "mature" because, good or bad, they generally require though, personality, imagination, and doing something other than shooting everything that moves.  I am new to these forums but it seems to me that these forums attract the same type of people that play nerdy PC strategy games.

February 10, 2011 6:01:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Agreed - check the forum regularly even though I'm not playing right now. Like to keep tabs on the development and the frank input and feedback from the devs is much appreciated. And the generally mature level of discussion on the forum by most. Keep it up.

February 10, 2011 6:43:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Screw Brad!  I love Jon now! Oh, and Toby too.

love being your throw in

February 10, 2011 7:47:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kaiapo,

I'm actually very curious what you think about the matter discussed by the OP.

Granted Brad also had a good share of just how bad it can get when you try to read forums following a game release that for some reason didn't please everyone but your experience must be quite unique.

You are probably not going to be able to respond, or even want to, just saying i'm curious that's all.  

Well, I originally came from the fan community and I’m posting here pretty frequently, in case that gives you any clue as to my position.

One thing that is definitely true is that if you want to be a developer that visits/reads fan sites, you need a thick skin. Some people just troll the forums, things and even individuals for enjoyment, and love to make fun of what school you went to or the length of your penis or whatever. It’s just what they do. If you can’t handle that then no, you shouldn’t be reading forums. If seeing that sort of thing results in you making worse games or having less fun doing your job then you should just avoid it all. That's certainly not everyone - in fact it's a small minority... but if you let things fester it will only grow on itself, and the negativity will take over.

Having come from the community, I generally understand what (normal) people’s motivations are. They want good games (or whatever), and they’re on a forum to express their enjoyment of that which they enjoy and also share what they want to see improved. How you interact with your community shapes its attitude and how it perceives the subject matter. One of the reasons I love Stardock is that interaction with the community is encouraged. I very much enjoy posting and mixing it up with everyone. Plus being a little silly is my style, so it works out well.

Jon

February 10, 2011 7:55:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You don't make niche games.

This is a niche game: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/  this is a niche game http://www.railsimulator.com/

RTS and strategy games aren't niche.

February 11, 2011 1:50:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting heyhellowhatsnew,
You don't make niche games.

This is a niche game: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/  this is a niche game http://www.railsimulator.com/

RTS and strategy games aren't niche.
There are degrees of niche. Stardock's games are still much less mainstream than, say, Call of Duty.

February 11, 2011 1:58:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Whaaaat I'm a troglodyte?

Well

Screw you too man, I'm gonna cry now.

*sniffle* oh wait I don't actually disagree. Oh well.

February 11, 2011 8:54:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've actually been working to convince the CEO of the startup I'm at to take a more proactive role on customer engagement. Even when done poorly or infrequently, it's an incredible marketing tool. Customers tend to understand how valuable CEO time is, and they react incredibly positively to even limited comment.

Frankly, I think you (Brad) in particular do an excellent job of marketing your games and that part of the success comes from your willingness to dive right in.

Now, that's not to say I don't think there are boneheaded decisions made (Elemental Army in particular) but overall the direction is excellent. 

One of the big advantages of direct and frequent engagement with customers is the flexibility it gives you when you screw up. When customers keep in mind that there are actual people making the product, as opposed to a monolithic corporation, it tends to generate a willingness to cut the company some slack when a failure occurs. That lets you attempt to maximize good outcomes, rather than forcing you to attempt to minimize bad ones. A secondary element of customer engagement is a willingness to expend significant resources on rectifying issues with long term support of products. Valve was a real pioneer in this area, but companies like Stardock and Paradox have made it a key selling point for their games; it might not be perfect at release, but it'll be excellent in a few years.

Blizzard is a great case in point. Their entire reputation is staked to making excellent games. That's led them to become incredibly conservative; if a game isn't perfect, they cancel or delay it. The worry for them is that if they lose their reputation, they'll also take a significant hit to market share on their next release, hurting them in the future. They handle this in part through demonstrated dedication in patching, which gives them some brand durability, but it's something that's always at the back of their minds, hurting innovation.

Creative Assembly is another excellent study. The release of Empire Total War poisoned their community, and led a number of fans to view future releases in a negative light. Since they engage poorly, if at all, with the community, they've had little chance to bounce back. That one poor release simultaneously guaranteed that future games would have their acceptable quality bar raised, while lowering the tolerance of the fan base to even minor irritations in game design or play. Furthermore, they entirely lack a reputation for long term support of their products. Not a positive outcome, and one that is almost certain to have an impact on the profitability of the company as a whole in the medium term, unless they drop out an incredible game with Shogun 2. 

Paradox is a case in the other direction. Direct, regular and extensive community engagement meant that even games that were poorly received (at least on release), such as Victoria 1 & 2, Rome and HoI3, have scarcely damaged brand value. Another significant source of brand durability is the demonstrated commitment to long term support of products; the V2 release was poor, but most players stuck around for V2 1.2, which dramatically improved things, and are generally positive about the future of the game. Same for HoI3. It's also clear that there is a strong bias in favor of innovation, what with the sheer breadth of categories their first and third party games catalog spans. 

So, yeah, in the end community engagement and a reputation for extensive post release support are essential elements in creating brand durability for gaming companies. Brand durability allows significantly more innovation and a more tolerant fan base. It might not maximize short term profits or be an entirely effective use of every second of the CEO's time, but it's an incredible tool for ensuring the survival of a gaming company in the face of the inevitable poor release. 

Since Stardock was one of the first companies to make brand durability a major element of its goings on, and since you (Brad) appear to have been a leading force in that early recognition and implementation for the company, Stardock and you deserve a lot of credit. 

Now just can the "woe is poor little me, nerds are pissing in my cheerios!" journal posts and you'll get the Achievement "Marketing God". 

February 11, 2011 11:47:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Love (of forum posters or Elementar gamers) is not required or needed. Respect however is. I am still very disappointed with the way the game was released DESPITE beta testers saying that it is not ready. Oh, I understand that bugs can be missed, QA is difficult process and so on, but the game was bland simply not fun at all! And Stardock simply ignored that and released game anyway. And this is company that promoted gamers bill of right! "Love"? Like in "screw gamers"?

Yes, I know it is old topic and nothing new can be said new about it, and Frogboy apologized etc.. But Stardock stopped being as one of the most respectful company for me and for many other gamers and become... I do not know what. But it tales long time to get that respect and trust back, this is why there will be negativity about Stardock - one royal screw-up of that magnitude will be remembered looong time. It is iPhone antenna moment for Stardock.

February 12, 2011 4:10:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

MxM111, I completely disagree with you here. In general, Stardock has made heroic strides to address community concerns and has gone out of its way to make it right for the overwhelmingly vast majority of their customers. It is odd that after everything people still ignore everything Stardock has accomplished since the release of Elemental. I could understand the frustration back in September, but now in February it just seems a bit on the petty side. You state that Stardock somehow lacks respect for its customers, yet when looking at the game industry in general, it is a rarity for a game developer to put the amount of effort or funding into making up for a rocky launch. Many developers have taken the ship and forget philosophy with their titles, and yet, you like many others claim that ,simply because of a rocky launch and sticking to a business time table over the concerns of beta testers, Stardock showed a lack of respect for the community at large. The community here is awesome, and it is a real pleasure to be able to interact with a group of developers who seem to genuinely care about their relationship with their community. I for one am really happy to be a member of this community, and love that there are so many passionate and cool people who inhabit these forums.

February 12, 2011 6:12:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ultimately, heroic community strides can only go so far is covering a game's shortcomings.  Eventually, you need results. 

A lot of the reason the drama has been so epic in this game is the words "Master of Magic" caused massive expectations, and a sub-Stardock quality result caused many folks to have a meltdown.   On a smaller scale, you saw this with Majesty 2.

Stardock so far has done everything right, except provide the results.   I know Stardock is capable of producing a great game, I expect Stardock with FE to end up with at least a very good game, or I will be disappointed.  I'm willing to be patient, but I do expect results.    If this was just some run-of-the-mill mediocre company, I would have shrugged, ate my losses, and left.  I expect more out of Stardock, and that's a compliment not an insult.

February 12, 2011 6:22:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I guess this is a bit like the difference between the journey and the destination.   Both are important, but it's fun being part of anyway.  I'll settle for a great game for FE and the next standalone, even if it doesn't lead to mega MoM or HOMM2 status.

Best regards,
Steven.

February 12, 2011 6:28:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Btw: I think this thread got broken, devs can you fix it?

Best regards,
Steven.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.