The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Problem Upgrading Laptop RAM

By on November 14, 2010 3:47:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've been running on 2gb RAM for some time now. I have 2 sticks of 1gb RAM inside. I recently purchased 2x2gb RAM. When they arrived I put them in. Powering on my computer, nothing. the screen didnt power up. The fans were moving, the dvd drive was spinning but no visuals.

Thinking it was a bad stick of RAM, I put one in. The computer worked as normal. Did the same with the other, that one works too.

Maybe it is a bad slot? Each worked in each slot.

I bought them as a pair, and Crucial said it was compatible with my computer.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

- Othello

+8 Karma | 10 Replies
November 14, 2010 4:21:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are you sure the board supports more than 2gb?

November 14, 2010 4:22:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I had assumed it does as Crucial had suggested it as compatible RAM. How do I check?

*edit* according to the specs in my manual: my sager np2090 supports, "up to 4GB Dual Channel - Requires 64bit Vista"

I have a new installation of 64bit vista running now.

November 14, 2010 4:28:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What is the model name of your laptop?

November 14, 2010 4:30:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just check your manual if you have it or look your model up online to see what the maximum RAM is. 

November 14, 2010 4:38:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting marlowwe,
What is the model name of your laptop?

Sager np2090 (IFL90)

November 14, 2010 4:42:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

nm.  already answered.

November 14, 2010 5:37:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ok, wow. hours of testing ram, switching it in and out. forum after forum. i even flashed new bios to my computer!

run->msconfig->boot->advanced options->uncheck maximum allowed ram and im up an running

November 15, 2010 10:33:51 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

run->msconfig->boot->advanced options->uncheck maximum allowed ram and im up an running

Do you know how that got set?  Factory or errant program?

November 16, 2010 2:05:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Dr Guy,

Do you know how that got set?  Factory or errant program?

It was a fresh install of vista. I tried many different things to get the RAM to work. So it's entirely possible that I checked the box myself. All I know is after unchecking the box my RAM works.

November 16, 2010 10:07:25 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Othello,
It was a fresh install of vista. I tried many different things to get the RAM to work. So it's entirely possible that I checked the box myself. All I know is after unchecking the box my RAM works.

Thanks for the info.  I checked my Vista and the box was not checked, so I was curious.  yea, installing an OS can be a bear at times (especially with an upgrade) and it would be something I might try if it was not working.  At leas now I know what to check in the future for such anomalies.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.