The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Rock Paper Shotgun's "Mine The Gap" series on Minecraft

By on September 17, 2010 6:13:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Rock Paper Shotgun posted an excellent series of articles on Minecraft this week.  If you've never heard of it or don't know what it is, I highly recommend reading through these.  It's amazing.

Don't let the graphics deter you... read through the journal and then make your decision at the end.  I personally haven't played but although I was skeptical at first (I mean, c'mon the graphics look like crap) I kept an open mind and read through the "Mine The Gap" series, In the end I have to admit it looks like a lot of damn fun.

MineCraft: Mine The Gap, Day 1
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/14/minecraft-mine-the-gap-day-1/

MineCraft: Mine The Gap, Day 2
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/15/minecraft-mine-the-gap-day-2/

MineCraft: Mine The Gap, Day 3
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/16/minecraft-mine-the-gap-day-3/

MineCraft: Mine The Gap, Day 4
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/17/minecraft-mine-the-gap-day-4/

MineCraft: Mine The Gap, Day 5
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/20/minecraft-mine-the-gap-day-5/

Minecraft
http://www.minecraft.net/

Penny Arcade has started what looks like a beginning of a series of comics for this game.  I love the first one...

Penny Arcade! - Mine All Mine, Part One
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/

+14 Karma | 15 Replies
September 17, 2010 6:22:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's a fun game in the way that LEGOs are fun.

The current pieces are fun enough for maybe 5-8 hours, or more if you play multiplayer and want to construct monuments.

But after that, you'll want new "pieces" for the game to stay fun. This game has a lot of potential. As the creator adds more resources, more recipes, and more toys (such as minecart+track), the game will just get better and better. It's the closest thing in years that simulates the joy I would get in creating amusement parks in Roller Coaster Tycoon, but this game can be so much more.

September 18, 2010 12:19:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well it is still a Alpha so of course it is missing things, but still i am having a blast doing random stuff in the game.

September 18, 2010 4:29:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've been busy playing for the past 3 hours and it's been a lot of fun so far.  Once I figured out that I just hold down the mouse button vs. continually clicking.

I have this spacious underground lair with one wall that's glass to let the sunshine in.  Only creepy thing is there have been 3 spiders camping me on the opposite side.  I think I know what it's like being a zoo animal.  I have so many ideas as to how I want to continue carving out my lair.  I'm also toying with how to make a bottom level with a glass wall and then get water to pour in on the other side so it's like an aquarium.  On the upper level, I'm thinking of replacing the hill above to a stone ceiling.  Maybe I can add additional levels to it at some point.

It's good.

September 18, 2010 8:37:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's a free to play weekend cause the popularity is killing his server. 

So if you're on the fence or not sure what this game is about, go download the client and check it out.

http://minecraft.net/

September 18, 2010 11:17:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks like a first person take on Dwarven Fortress.

I'm in.

September 19, 2010 1:56:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I liked legos as a kid, and if you put me in front of a pile of them today, I'd probably spend the next few hours making a space ship or something, but...

Too alpha, and too sandbox, I can't help it.  I need a point, besides seeing what I can do.  Now, if it's a game where I can build up an empire and wage war on the world, that would be a goal to achieve.

When I built lego space ships it was to play with them.  What's more awesome than a toy you can actually break, and then put back together?

September 19, 2010 2:06:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Mr President! We cannot allow a minecraft gap!

September 19, 2010 6:56:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting louist,
Looks like a first person take on Dwarven Fortress.

I'm in.

Eh, weird stuff. According to the developer he sold ~60.000 copies of Minecraft in 3 weeks = ~600.000 euros. Perhaps Toady should use the same business model?...because he makes like ~3000 dollars/month. [Note: He has made more than 16.000 dollars in 1 month, when the new major version was released, but you got the picture...]

September 19, 2010 7:09:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This game is like a drug. When one of my friends asked me, 'What that game is all about', I had no idea what to say. You mine some, you chop trees some, you craft some items, you hide from some monsters at night and just explore. And the game has a graphics like it was made in the early 90's. Heck, even Descent 2 had better graphics IIRC. However, once you start playing, you just can't stop. It's simply so addictive. You just want to make this tool, to mine that, or to explore that cave you just found. Fun never stops, even though you can't really say what exactly you have fun with. You just do.

September 19, 2010 2:46:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

After playing a couple hours of Elemental, I went and played a few more hours of Minecraft last night.

It was fun when a zombie appeared in my home.  I don't know if I forgot to close the door or there was a hole he found his way in through.  I was sitting there checking the smelter to see how the glass was coming along when I was getting hit with arrows.  Out of confusion I ran to a small cave I was working on and blocked myself in.  I'd punch out a hole to see if I could see him.  Nothing.  Finally after not hearing or seeing anything, I mined a space to walk through and on the other side he was waiting for me.  Ugh!  Once I respawned I quickly ran back and tried to think of a plan.  I remembered I had crafted a sword so I carefully snuck back to see what I could pick up without being seen.  Luckily I found my sword.  I equipped it and charged in, not knowing if I'd survive.   After a few hits I finally dispatched him and stood there victorious!

I continued carving out my home in the side of the hill.  During the day (when I would realize it was daytime) I'd continue building the upper level of my home, laying down the cobblestone I had mined during the night.  I have glass walls to let in the light.  It's only partially finished as I have to continue clearing out the rest of the hill so I can expand the upper level.  Eventually I'll add a third, maybe a fourth.

I finished my basement "aquarium".  One wall is mostly glass.  On the outside of that I carved out a cavern and finally punched through to the water above and got it to fill up.  So now I can go down there and watch all the animals that got sucked down there - pigs, cows, sheep.  Once in awhile I'll break the glass to let a few of them into the basement and quickly seal it back up.

As a side hobby I continue excavation further down wondering what I'll find.  I'll carve out a cavern 10 across, then go back and dig down.  So now I have this long hallway with high ceilings that descend down into the depths of the world.  I also put a door to close off this excavation from the rest of the house should I uncover some cavern filled with more zombies.  Last thing I want is my home inhabitable due to some nightmare I unleashed on the world.

I don't know what it is about this game, but it's got that "only a few more minutes" quality to it.

September 20, 2010 1:25:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Watching this trailer, I'm in awe.

This Is Minecraft
http://kotaku.com/5642505/this-is-minecraft

For anyone wondering what this game is about, watch this tutorial.

Machinima: Your First Shelter in Minecraft (Tutorial Machinima)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylVtj-1Ccgg

September 21, 2010 2:36:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I gave in and purchased the alpha, now I'm utterly hooked on this game. Check out the rpg texture pack it makes Minecraft look pretty cool.

September 21, 2010 3:33:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hilarious minecraft link

It was posted on reddit, so many have seen it, but I didn't see it posted here, and it's worth a watch.

September 21, 2010 11:16:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting AncientLich,
I gave in and purchased the alpha, now I'm utterly hooked on this game. Check out the rpg texture pack it makes Minecraft look pretty cool.

I must be in the minority, but I don't really like this game. [Which is why I am amazed, that how can be this game so popular] It's ok, but nothing special. Weird, because Dwarf Fortress is amongst my 3 favourite games...

September 21, 2010 1:38:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The graphics on the Dwarf Fortress website makes my eyes bleed.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.