The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Weekend Impulse Buy: Dawn of Discovery™ Gold - 50% OFF

Weekend Impulse Buy - Sept 16 - 19

By on September 16, 2010 8:04:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental ForumsExternal Link

Adding it to my shopping cart now.

I've read good things about this game (and the bad) and have always been interested in it.  I can't pass it up at 50% off.  Whoever was responsible for making this happen, thank you!

Dawn of Discovery™ Gold
http://www.impulsedriven.com/dodgold

+14 Karma | 12 Replies
September 16, 2010 10:30:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks for the headsup Gravedancer. Played the Demo when it first came out then decided to wait until they fixed some of the issues. And then just forgot all about it. Now gathering info; this is a darn good deal!

There is now an Anno 1404 Wiki which should help a lot learning and playing the game.

Only snake in the garden I see at the moment is the DRM which remains TAGES with 3 activation limit. But there seems to be a "way around that" for sneaky people should it prove necessary.

Hmmm ... so I get the Demo of Civilization V and wait for them to fix inevitable release issues and finally get all the Civs and Maps into one DLC. This should take what ... six months? By then there should be cool mods too. Doesn't matter, I've got Civ IV and III anyway.

By then I should just be learning how to play this rather complex game.

September 16, 2010 10:48:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Only snake in the garden I see at the moment is the DRM which remains TAGES with 3 activation limit. But there seems to be a "way around that" for sneaky people should it prove necessary.

I know, right! Heck, take TAGES off it and I'll buy it at FULL price.

September 17, 2010 3:59:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting mbaron888,

Yep agree with you there. Impulse is fucked and the tages combination is a nightmare!

September 17, 2010 4:14:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is there a full description of TAGES somewhere?

September 17, 2010 6:09:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting mbaron888,

In that case, unless you're the "digital distribution is the future and boxes are evil" kind of person, I strongly suggest that you buy the retail version and apply the 1.1 patch. It removes TAGES activation completely.

September 17, 2010 6:29:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting VonVentrue,

In that case, unless you're the "digital distribution is the future and boxes are evil" kind of person, I strongly suggest that you buy the retail version and apply the 1.1 patch. It removes TAGES activation completely.

If you can find a copy of the game in retail.

September 17, 2010 11:37:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mbaron888,

Tages is the reason I refuse to buy this game.  I am not a pirate, and do not expect to be treated as one.  If everyone boycotts these companies with these outrageous copy protection scams, then the world would be a much better place.  After all I'm sure you can download the hacked version of this game somewhere, so why punish the people that legally purchased this game, and want to play it on several computers.  I own two laptops and 4 desktops, all in different parts of the house.  Too bad, it looks like a game I could really get into.

Gravedancer, is there a digital download patch that remedies this?

September 17, 2010 11:57:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

At least according to Wikipedia, Ubisoft will give you more activations if you ask for them, but still seems like a pain and who knows how long that will take.

Still I only have 1 computer I doubt I'll be activating it multiple places so I'm more concernted about who good the game itself is. The getting started wiki isn't exactly organized in a way that gives you any kind of overview of the game.

September 17, 2010 12:30:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting VonVentrue,

Hmm...I wonder since the version Impulse is selling is v1.2 if TAGES has been removed from it and it's mislabled in the catalog.

Not that I'm going to try and find out the hard way.

September 17, 2010 4:55:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I played it for a bit last night.

The version was 1.2 which is the most current version.

I know that if you had the DVD version, the patch was supposed to remove the activation limit or requirement.  From what I had read, this didn't apply to digital downloads.  The wiki doesn't make the distinction but I'm not going to put faith into the wiki.

When I installed it, there was a prompt specific to TAGES.  I also checked and there is information stored in the directory: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Tages.  However I imagine if you installed from the DVD that TAGES would still be there.  I think the patch just removes the activation requirement from the game itself.

From what else I read, it doesn't sound like it's going to be a big deal to get more activations.  Yes, there may be an inconvenience as you might have to wait.  It doesn't sound like it's too picky - changing video cards doesn't count, it's the motherboard and one or two other elements.  So if you're going to only use it on 1 or 2 PCs, probably not a problem.  If you have 4, then yeah, it's going to be a problem.

I understand that people will refuse to buy the game out of a matter of principle.  I respect that.  I think seeing the fact that they removed it (at least for the DVD) in the later patch is good enough for me that they got the message.  Although it could be that enough time had passed from the games release that TAGES had served it's purpose.  I don't know and honestly I don't care.

From the little bit of time I spent with the game, so far it looks really good.  Definitely worth the sale price!  Seriously, I think this is something that I can definitely get into and play for a long time.  Until something new and shiny my way comes, lol.

September 17, 2010 5:51:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm more concernted about who good the game itself is. The getting started wiki isn't exactly organized in a way that gives you any kind of overview of the game.

FadedC the first missions of the campaign are very tutorial. Maybe the whole campaign is tutorial. Continuous game is more of a sandbox builder that you set up like you like. There is a game speed control and a pause command. Like Sins or Sim City, get in and dink around.

As to whether it is a good game, check player reviews on gamespot and such. Youtube has lots and lots of videos under Dawn of Discovery and Anno 1404 which may be helpful. This is a builder game in which combat plays a minor role.

September 17, 2010 7:01:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting wilebill,

I'm more concernted about who good the game itself is. The getting started wiki isn't exactly organized in a way that gives you any kind of overview of the game.

FadedC the first missions of the campaign are very tutorial. Maybe the whole campaign is tutorial. Continuous game is more of a sandbox builder that you set up like you like. There is a game speed control and a pause command. Like Sins or Sim City, get in and dink around.

As to whether it is a good game, check player reviews on gamespot and such. Youtube has lots and lots of videos under Dawn of Discovery and Anno 1404 which may be helpful. This is a builder game in which combat plays a minor role.

Actually I found there is a demo for it which was helpful to play. Kind of reminds me a bit of the Caesar games but without as much emphasis on roads.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000360   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.