The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The 2nd Demigod Community Tournament - Rules and Registration

Pacov's Last Stand

By on September 11, 2010 2:34:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Welcome to the 2nd Demigod community tournament (Pacov's Last Stand) - rules and registration thread!   

UPDATE 1:  The scheduling thread has been opened.  Please head over there and post when you are available to play:  http://forums.impulsedriven.com/399006

UPDATE 2:  A new version of uberfix is available AND is required for the tournament.  Please see here and download/install:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/399037

UPDATE 3:  The RESULTS thread has been opened.  Please head over there to track your wins/losses/replays:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/399047

Update 4:  Registration is now closed.  Alternates are still allowed, but no new teams will be allowed to register at this point.

Update 5:  Added ventrilo (voice chat) server information for those of you that would like to use voice chat.  It also helps in finding people that are ready to play their matches!

Update 6:  The replay commentaries/discussions thread has been opened:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/399150.  Check this thread out for news on live streaming events during the tournament along with commentaries and video for some of the games in this tournament!

This thread will cover all of the relevant rules and registration information.  Please see below for all of the details.

The tournament began on 10/16/2010.  Please be aware that this tournament will not begin and end on 10/16/2010.  It will actually take several weeks to complete. 

Background 

In April 2010, we started our first community demigod tournament.  The tournament was 2v2 and certain demigod selections were restricted.  The tourney carried a crash prize donated by people in the community and was won by the two man team of zen_god and King_of_thorns.  For more details on that tourney, read up here: (https://forums.demigodthegame.com/380837). 

Tournament Format

• The tournament will be played as a 3v3 round robin tournament.  Round robin simply means that there is no elimination outside of disqualification.  Your team will play each and every team.  
  • Each match in the tournament will consist of 3 total games. 
  • We will track every win and loss.  The team with the most wins is the winner of the round robin portion of our tournament.
  • After the round robin has concluded, the top 4 teams will battle it out elimination style in the best 2 out of 3 games. 

Tournament Rules

• All matches will be played on cataract with default settings (the only exceptions being AI HP on Very High and AI Gold/XP on low). 
  • Each team will play 1 round on the light side, then 1 round on the dark side.  In the 3rd round, if each team has 1 win, the team that had the fastest win in game 1 or 2 gets to pick the side they want to be on.  If one team already has 2 wins, the team with no wins gets to pick the side they want to be on (keep in mind the following rule). 
  • The team that is on the dark side must pick their characters and ready up first.  Then the team on the light side gets to pick and the dark side does not have a chance to adjust their characters.
  • Players using oak may not use spirits to perform a citadel rush.  Any player doing this will have their entire team disqualified for that game giving a win to the opposing team. If you don't know what this terminology means, odds are you aren't citadel rushing with spirits. 
  • Players MUST form their own teams
  • One player from each game must report their stats in.  We will open up a tournament stat tracking thread after the tournament begins. 
  • To track your wins, you must do the following - post the replay at gamereplays.org.  If you have issues with gamereplays, upload the file to rapid share and provide us with a link.  One player from the winning team should do this for each and every match. 
  • Each team must complete a minimum of 2 matches (6 games) per week.  If there are extenuating circumstances, then the decision making panel will review them.  Failure to complete 2 matches per week will result in a disqualification for your team. 
  • ALL teams are required to use the version of the uberfix mod here:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/399037

Alternates

• Each team is allowed to have exactly 1 alternate
  • The alternate must not be participating in the tournament (either directly registered for the tournament or on a duplicate account). If it is discovered that the alternate is a player that is already in the tournament, but using a different account, all of those matches will be forfeited.
  • The same alternate cannot be used by multiple teams
  • If a team wins a cash prize with an alternate on their team, that team must determine how they will handle the prize money.  The decision making panel has nothing to do with how you choose to split up the money.

Prize 

There will be a cash prize > $600.  Jongalt will be handling the collection of the money for this tournament.  We are discussing the prize money in this linked thread:  https://forums.demigodthegame.com/398009.  We appreciate any contributions to the prize.  YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PAY TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNEY. 

Here is how we will be splitting the winnings from the pot:

• 10% goes to the team that wins the round robin
  • 50% of the balance goes to the winner of the playoffs
  • 25% of the balance goes to the 2nd place winner of the playoffs
  • 15% of the balance goes to the 3rd place winner of the playoffs
  • Participation raffle - 1 player from a team that has completed all of their games in the tournament will be entered into a random drawing after the tournament ends.  That player will receive a prize of $30 as incentive for finishing the tournament.  This money will be taken from the total cash pot before any other money is distributed by percentage.  Any player that has won a cash prize is NOT eligible for the participation raffle.

Demigod Selection

Each 3 man team must use the following formula to make their Demigod character selections based on a 7 point maximum.  Be aware that no duplicate demigods are permitted on the same team.  This means you cannot choose random.

• Demon Assassin/Regulus - 1 point
  • Oculus/Queen of Thorns/Senda/Torch Bearer - 2 points
  • Lord Erebus/Oak/Rook/Unclean Beast - 3 points

Tournament Time Zone

The official time zone of the tournament is set for EST US time.  Players that are outside of that timezone are certainly welcome to play.  However, if there are significant scheduling difficulties due to players unable meet at the same time, the team furthest outside of the EST zone will most likely be disqualified or forfeit that match.  This rule does not excuse folks in the EST zone from any responsibility.  All parties in this tournament should endeavor to schedule their matches with other teams and try to be as flexible as possible. 

Decision Making Panel

This tournament will be governed by a decision making panel consisting of pacov, McShane, hedgie with Jongalt as an alternate.  The panel's purpose is as follows:

• Review any scheduling issues and making the final decisions with regards to disqualification. 
  • Reviewing replays as required (crashes and desyncs)
  • Resolving any disputes that arise

The panel's decision on all matters will be the final word for this tournament. And last, the members of the decision making panel will not make any decisions on the games they are playing in.  We didn't have a panel in place for the first tournament and that was a mistake. 

How will we handle crashes

If there is a game crash, the players involved in that match should see if they can come to a consensus on the probable outcome of the match.  If there is no clear winner, the 2 teams should replay the match using the exact same demigods and sides (light/dark).  If there was a clear winner at that point in the game, then that team should be awarded the win.  If the 2 teams disagree on the outcome, then the decision making panel will review the replay of the match and render a decision.  Be aware that the decision making panel must agree that a specific team was going to win or the results will be thrown out and the match redone.  Please be thoughtful if you want the panel to review a match. 

How we will handle invalid game states

The lastgamereplay file is still created in the event of an invalid game state, so it is still possible to review the results of a match.  In the event of an invalid game state, players should attempt to resolve the issue exactly the same way as game crashes.  If you believe foul play occurred, submit the replay along with any screen shots, etc, as evidence and the decision making panel will review.  If there is a CLEAR consensus that a team is willingly triggering invalid game states, that team will be disqualified after a thorough review of the facts and will no longer be able to participate in the tournament.  If your game does crash, it might be advisable to take a screen shot of the crash as proof.  Be aware that we know invalid game states can occur without any sort of foul play, so please be mindful when submitting requests for review.

Current Teams:

1. Soccermom, OMG_Zex, pacov
  2. Orcun, McShane, Defender
  3. beastmode, generalG, stiffyG
  4. IamKira, Mith, Zen_God
  5. bad daddy/chiefy/trousersnake
  6. jongalt/OMG_nomilarac/thundercles
  7. rwcupcrazy/pwnage_69/nojokes
  8. Iz_, Darz4, Darkliath
  9. Anneliese_the_Beserk/Udo_Juergins/Don_Doen
  10. Eltimes/Lols_SeaWolf/DreamCatcher
  11. OMG_jona__/4nana/kalel
  12. Nacelle, VulturePwns, LoCoJoK3R
  13. RobertMunch/FC-FuneralPortrait/DeadDemi
  14. Commando51, Rezzan, and T-Schert
  15. arkANG3L, swordguyj, and Firefromthesky
  16. brasher01/brokenstrong/beckad1(prozombe)
  17. Maxsteel32/Sebacoyl/Stilr
  18. Mortora/Nate_the_Great1992/SD_Zebrafox
  19. Bartleby/aberrator/nnnils\
  20. tsk-mandingo/ruiprsg_/kobzos

Registered Alternates:

Please be aware that other players are elligible to be an alternate based on the rules outlined in the alternates section.  I've simply left this list here so teams will know at least a few of the players that might be available as alternates. 

1. busdude
  2. doggu
  3. gl-Spectre
  4. johnkout7
  5. jorune2112
  6. Kiamori
  7. OmicronLyrae
  8. Ouch-That-Hurts
  9. Renfri
  10. Rocchinho
  11. Taharos
  12. volen20

For any of you that would like to use it, we have a public ventrilo (voice chat) server that you are welcome to use for the tournament.  Even if you don't have a microphone, if only 1 person on your team does, it can be very useful to use voice chat (at least 11 of the registered teams will be using voice chat.  Why not you too?

Here's all of the info you need to get started:

Here is where you can download the client (its free): http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php

Here are instructions on how to use ventrilo to connect to a server:  http://www.ventrilo.com/setup.php

And here's the needed server info:

Server Name:  Lagwar's Ventrilo Server
Hostname: 
oxygen.typefrag.com
Port:

I have created some password protected channels for those of you that would like to use the server.  Scroll down until you see channel Oh My Demigod.  You will then see tournament channel 1/2/3.  The password for these channels are demigod.  Let me know if you have any questions. 

+161 Karma | 924 Replies
September 15, 2010 5:54:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey every 1

im very interested in the touramament and im down to put up 10 bones for that

September 15, 2010 11:26:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov and jon should take command of this tournament ship, since they had the highest initiative of thinking how it could look like. hedgie should be the referee.

September 15, 2010 11:30:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can take position of referee. My internet is far from 24/7, but I'm usually on it everyday. I'm not sure when I'll get good internet (though by the time this is good-to-go I might). And I'm not too interested in plopping down $10, espiecially since I've played like ... 6 games in 3 months (:

Plus I retired or something like that :waves hands:

That said, I have rethought my Sedna build...

September 16, 2010 1:23:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting awuffleablehedgie,
I can take position of referee. My internet is far from 24/7, but I'm usually on it everyday. I'm not sure when I'll get good internet (though by the time this is good-to-go I might). And I'm not too interested in plopping down $10, espiecially since I've played like ... 6 games in 3 months (:

Plus I retired or something like that :waves hands:

That said, I have rethought my Sedna build...

heh - we'll you'd have to decide if you want to play in the tourney or not.  In order Aus?

September 17, 2010 3:18:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It depends on how addicted I get to EQ again. I'll have to practice. DG's pace is GRUELING now after playing games like Savage 2 and such. lol

September 17, 2010 4:41:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hrmmm, is there anyway to email players via impulse ?

September 17, 2010 5:50:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_Jongalt26,
Hrmmm, is there anyway to email players via impulse ?

Not that I know of.  So is this 3 vs 3 for sure if it gets going?  Also I think no citadel bashing with minion Oak is the most important rule.

September 17, 2010 6:32:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not that I know of. So is this 3 vs 3 for sure if it gets going? Also I think no citadel bashing with minion Oak is the most important rule.

My opinion is 3v3.  Unless one of you folks that have been around a bit are strongly opposed, 3v3 it will be. 

September 17, 2010 7:33:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've only seen people say they'd prefer 3 vs 3 so far which I also think is the way to go.  That's only 4 teams with the current roster you've got posted up there but I'm sure a few others will come around.

September 17, 2010 11:10:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd prefer 3v3... but the idea of getting my 2 teammates on at the same as me to play 3 other people might be doable.. or it might not be possible with my schedule.  We'll just have to see.

Also, I've seen a few people voice their thoughts on Demigod selection.  My vote is for some sort of rule to promote Demigod variety... I'm really not interested in seeing  Oak/LE/UB vs Oak/LE/UB over and over.  Sorry, having a Rook thrown in every now and then is not what I mean by variety by the way.

Of course I haven't a clue how to balance 3v3... maybe just something crazy like:

1st  Game - Random Assassin where each team gets up to two startovers if its an unbalanced demigod selection.  Might be fun just cause who really ever knows if you have a bad team or not... Is having two Regs on your team a bad thing without monks in play?

2nd Game - Demigod Draft where each team decides one Demigod the other team can't use (UB of course) and then team 1 picks a Demigod, team two picks two demigods, team 1 picks its last demigod, then team 2 picks its last demigod. 

3rd  Game - Free Selection

September 17, 2010 11:36:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dude, if we do a draft, im totally down. That's be fun.

September 17, 2010 11:51:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree, no citadel bashing with oak minions.  Are there any other anti-cheese rules we should implement?

Im definitely down with 3v3, I would only do 2v2 if it is the only way we could do a tourney. 

Also, once the tourney was set last time, it got to a slow start for registrations but ramped up to a lot of teams by the time the tourney started.  I would expect the same here. *hopefully

September 18, 2010 1:26:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

anti-cheese

leave cheesus the f alone. 

edit - when we get down to team selection - it will get tricky... I'd imagine if we just form teams - it will come down to super team vs almost super team vs pretty decent team vs meh.  So - there you have it... there are the results of the tournament... woo... fun for all. 

So that said - i wonder if there are any good alternate approaches.... taking any tier 1 and grouping them with a tier 2 would be a handicap... taking a tier 3 and grouping with tier 1 = HUGE handicap.  blah blah.  Anyway, I don't have a good idea for this.  

September 18, 2010 2:00:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1 - Rook, Ereb, UB, Oak

2- Sedna, Occulus, TB

3- Queen, Reg, DA

Choose 3. Your sum must be at least 5. (so Rook, Oak, Reg is legal)

I think that's the simplest way to do it that promotes strong demigod usage and combinations without being UB/Rook/LE/Oak each game. If you think that's "too strong" then make it your sum needs to be 6. 

September 18, 2010 2:11:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would put qot far above reg / da.  QoT + any 2 of the "1" selections is rappppeeee in comparison to any other combo.  But then again, not very many ppl can play a good qot, and I don't think I'm going to play in the tourney.. so.. w/e.

September 18, 2010 2:18:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I want to be clear - when I say tier 1, 2 and 3, I'm not talking about dgs... I'm talking about players.  You either have to come up with a way to make interesting teams either by pairing them up in a good way, or gimping their demigod selections where teams might be fair as a result... make sense? 

edit - i don't know... just think... would a tournament be fun if we know probably know the winner before it starts?  I think team selection is critical personally.  I could pick a team based on the current players and end up on the winning team or at least give myself a 75% chance to win.  That fun?  I could also arrange pretty even teams where the winner is not guaranteed.  Of course, going that route means I have to know all of the players (most I do) and then pair up based on strengths... I can do that as well... its like setting the football schedule for a team... if all I fight is a bunch of cream puffs - it gets pretty boring fast.  But if the matches are interesting and even, then good times.  If we went the route I'm describing, I think it would be a blast for all that would participate - but we'd also have to cut some folks (I'd say a couple tier 1's + a tier 2 would make for a fun tourney).  We don't have to make it a public tourney.  We can just make it whatever we want and would find the most fun.  Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, as jon sounds like he's going to drop the most dough for the tourney, I'd back his decision.  But that's how I feel anyway. 

edit edit - Lord orion - get off your butt and start playing some games again.  If you want to get on vent, search "OH MY" for the vent info and jump on.  You haven't played online in a month.  Anyway, I'll be playing some again tomorrow as cheesus. 

September 18, 2010 3:00:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1 - Rook, Ereb, UB, Oak

2- Sedna, Occulus, TB

3- Queen, Reg, DA

I think that's the simplest way to do it that promotes strong demigod usage and combinations without being UB/Rook/LE/Oak each game. If you think that's "too strong" then make it your sum needs to be 6. 

I see several good combinations with a sum of 5.  If you push the sum to 6 then Rook will own the tournament in my opinion.

September 18, 2010 4:24:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Since only Teseer was brilliant enough to appreciate my totally awesome ideas, I got another scenario for you guys.

Step One:  Identify number of confirmed participants in the tourney.  Please don't count people who really aren't into it just to get the numbers up... some people were a bitch to get a hold of last tourney and their randomly matched partners suffered for it.

Step Two:  Figure out 3-5 Tiers of demigods and have every player declare, if any, what tier demigod he's willing to max out at. For instance, if its decided that there will be 3 tiers of demigods and Torchbearer is a tier 2, then I will declare myself maxxed at tier 2 since I prefer not to play tier 1 demigods.

Step Three:  Take the consensus best players and have them get together and group the rest of the participants into two man teams considering their skill level and demigod handicap they have declared, trying to make them as even as possible.  Then the best players will each be placed with one of the teams they have created.  Whether this is a choice or a random selection shouldn't matter since all teams should be even... it takes two thieves to strike an honest bargain right?

Or we could just have Pac/Jon/Hedgie play against Zex/McShane/Zen have a Tier 1 vs Tier 1 + Sedna and post a replay.

September 18, 2010 6:31:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You guys are making my head hurt

Quoting Hedgie-the-kid,
1 - Rook, Ereb, UB, Oak

2- Sedna, Occulus, TB

3- Queen, Reg, DA

Just what i proposed a week ago:

Quoting OMG_nomilarac,

Something like this: 1- UB, LE, Oak, Rook. 2- Occ, Sedna, TB. 3- Reg, DA, QoT (not quite sure about Rook and Qot). Anything >=5 points is good, or any kind of all random (except all random general).

September 18, 2010 10:20:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,

edit edit - Lord orion - get off your butt and start playing some games again.  If you want to get on vent, search "OH MY" for the vent info and jump on.  You haven't played online in a month.  Anyway, I'll be playing some again tomorrow as cheesus. 

It's even worse then you think... I've been playing a dozen lan games of Crazy Town every week, that might actually be worse then not playing since I have new "non-viable in ODG" habits to break.

September 18, 2010 4:00:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting 4Nana,
I would put qot far above reg / da.  QoT + any 2 of the "1" selections is rappppeeee in comparison to any other combo.  But then again, not very many ppl can play a good qot, and I don't think I'm going to play in the tourney.. so.. w/e.

That was in my calculations I consider Queen to be T2, but if I put Queen in T2 half the forum would bitch and moan about it and say my entire list isn't credible (: 

also, nom, this is a direct copy of the thing I did for the 2v2 tourney, more or less. 

September 18, 2010 6:14:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting 4Nana,
reply 68

That was in my calculations I consider Queen to be T2, but if I put Queen in T2 half the forum would bitch and moan about it and say my entire list isn't credible (: 

also, nom, this is a direct copy of the thing I did for the 2v2 tourney, more or less. 

I doubt people would complain about queen at tier 2, most of the people on the forum actually know what they are doing.

September 18, 2010 8:01:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I s'pose that is true, for those few who are still left. Sorry, used to DoW and Elemental forums (: 

September 18, 2010 11:41:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_ZEX,

Quoting awuffleablehedgie, reply 74

Quoting 4Nana,
reply 68

I doubt people would complain about queen at tier 2, most of the people on the forum actually know what they are doing.

no they don't

September 19, 2010 12:24:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hehe - zen - play qot. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.