The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

my wife and I want to play together from the same network

By on July 8, 2010 1:02:41 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Guys,

I finally got my wife to play a game with me... Unfortunately, it doesnt work online when we both play.

Ive set up virtual server on my ISP router to forward all udp traffic on ports 6000 to 6300 to my linksys router. My linksys router sends udp traffic on 6100 to 6125 to my machine, which is set up on 192.168.1.25. Ive configured Demigod to use ports 6100 to 6125 via the impulsereactor config utility on this machine.

The linksys also sends udp traffic on 6126 to 6151 to her machine, which is set up on 192.168.1.26   I used the imulsereactor config thingy to set her copy of Demigod up to work on those ports.

Both machines connect to the internet and play other games fine together. Ive had to do the testing alone for the most part as she hates gaming in general, but loves playing Demigod.

I have a friend that lives in Texas that tests with us, and no matter who hosts, we get the same result. In the pregame setup, player info shows everyone connected.

But once the game starts, after a minute or so, she gets kicked, or I get kicked, or the guy in Texas gets kicked.

What can I do?

+1 Karma | 16 Replies
July 8, 2010 1:09:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Good thing you added "from the same network" - your other thread sounded inappropriate for minors.

I have no idea how to fix your problem but I think it's truly wonderful how your wife can share the same interest as you. I hope I find myself a wife like that someday.

July 8, 2010 1:11:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Also, Ive used PFPortChecker to confirm that udp ports 6100 to 6125 are open on the one machine and ports 6126 to 6151 are open on the other machine.

Not sure what else to do. Every config utility says the ports are open and working, but the game still craps out.

July 8, 2010 1:27:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, it probably wont last long.

Imagine trying to convince the asian version of Jessica Simspon that games are actually "cool" and that if she would just give it a shot, she would see for herself.... except for the game doesnt work, heh.

She saw me playing the character that rides the cat thingy and thought it was sorta neat. Played for an hour or two and wanted to play together with me against other people, but we just cant get it to work.

July 8, 2010 10:33:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_NinkiCZ,
Good thing you added "from the same network" - your other thread sounded inappropriate for minors.

i loled

July 8, 2010 2:40:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've been able to play online with friends (on the internet at large) online. We did a few 3v3's together. The games didn't lag (too bad) and they lasted the entire time without drops (amazing, I know).

I had a Linksys 150N. However, I think I had hosted the game. Have you tried that yet?

July 8, 2010 3:18:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

mike,

do you have TeamSpeak?  If so, would you like to hop on my private TS server and I can talk you through the issues you're having?

thanks,

the Monk

July 8, 2010 3:39:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I used to have port forwarding setup to allow my two machines to play online. They wouldnt work recently and just removing the port forwarding rules got it to work for me.

July 8, 2010 10:44:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the offer Monk.

I had my isp bridege the device today, so Ill do more testing and if it doesnt work, I may need your help, hehe.

July 9, 2010 3:17:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

After some testing tonight, it appears the issue is resolved.

If you are on a PPPoE setup, ask your isp to bridge your dsl device (dont try it yourself, there are tricky little settings that make no sense in there that you would never guess make any difference).

Bridging will help remove a layer of nat, otherwise you will have to tunnel through "double NAT" which is like herding cats.

I tried to bridge it myself, but never got internet connectivity until they told me a couple hints about some seemingly pointless settings.

I then forwarded udp range (6100 to 6125 and 6126 to 6151) to my pc and hers and set my linksys to do pppoe with dhcp on the back side.

Works fine now.

July 9, 2010 1:28:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hahaha, herding cats. 

July 10, 2010 5:11:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

False start...

It now appears she is disconnected every game at the 46 minute mark.

Boggles my mind as to what is causing this. Doesnt matter who hosts, ... me, her, or 3rd person.

July 10, 2010 5:38:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think it now works. Removed all port forwarding and reactor settings after bridging and todays test proved succesful.

THanks Morpheus (I think) for helping me test!

July 11, 2010 11:47:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

mike,

I've replied to your PM.  I'll keep checking this thread or if you'd prefer to keep it in PM, just message me back.  My turn-around is not always same-day though....I do spend time on a few other forums as well but I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

thanks,

the Monk

July 15, 2010 4:57:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting mikeoxwells,
asian version of Jessica Simspon

Lucky bastard!

July 19, 2010 1:30:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

heh...

Well, theres good and bad that comes with that. The good? Well, obviously... ahem..

The bad? Gaming is non existent, and she gives up on the game before she puts any effort into it, etc. Although... she is getting better. Actually won a game together the other night.

August 2, 2010 2:20:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

/understands

My womanzz wanted to learn to play.  Only plays Sedna, also, lol.

And after a bit of time, once she could actually beat the medium AI, she sees me playing Borderlands and promptly decided to play "learn" that game.

And this is after a BF2 "learning" (which is still in the sealed box with price tag attached, sitting on top her computer)

On a side note, the only game she plays with any consistency is "The Ship", which is actually a pretty cool game. 

Long story short, I have a quite a few duplicate games with little-to-no use sitting around

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.