The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Fallout: New Vegas will use Steamworks

By on June 8, 2010 4:47:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I know it is sad for Impulse and Stardock lovers but it is better than crappy Games for Windows LIVE. I love Impulse and Steam and I don't have a problem with this news also I am happy because It won't use GFWL.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1096751-fallout-new-vegas-fan-interview/

+7 Karma | 55 Replies
September 12, 2010 7:38:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ugleb,
I don't suppose there is any chance that new vegas will make it onto impulse in time for release?  Fallout 3 did eventually appear, so I wonder in hope.

Not unless Stardock changes their policy on not carrying Steamworks games.

September 12, 2010 7:56:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think Steam is the only piece of software (apart from viruses, or is Steam a kind of virus?) that actively tries to install itself onto as many PCs as possible, even for single player games.  Sometimes, freedom of choice and not having to run a program all the time when another program is running. has to come before "gee beaut Steam is so cool, they bring so many cool features and are so cheap!".

A good example of groupthink is that people were saying about "how cheap all the Steam games are!", but if there was a cheaper deal without Steamworks, which was available before the Steam version, nobody talks about it.  You have to be extremely wary when there is a tendency for everyone to say how great something is and there is virtually no reporting on any opposing views of it by those in control of the purse-strings.  Stardock can admit their failings.  I haven't heard anything from Valve admit there might be *anything* wrong with exclusive Steam distribution and Steamworks on so many single player games.

I think it will be fantastic when Impulse:Reactor is ready as a platform.  Sometimes, fresh cool water is better than steam.

Best regards,
Steven. 

September 12, 2010 9:41:58 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting StevenAus,
I think Steam is the only piece of software (apart from viruses, or is Steam a kind of virus?) that actively tries to install itself onto as many PCs as possible, ...................

What the hell are you smoking? Pretty much every developer would like his program to be running on all PCs.....

September 12, 2010 10:33:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sola_III,
Very disappointed in Bethesda on this one.  Looks like Oblivion and Fallout 3 mods indefinitely for me.  Lost sale guys.

Or you could buy the retail version of the game and then stick it on a shelf unopened, download the steam free version and play the games you want without giving in to steam's invasive tactics.  Bethesda, Firaxis, etc. still get their money from your sale, but steam doesn't get to market their products on your computer. 

September 12, 2010 11:09:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting bonscott,
Quoting ozo, reply 13Considering what shitpile GFWL was... this is an improvement. Of course one can wonder why there must be some idiotic dependency on first place.

Here's the thing though with GFWL and Fallout 3.  All that was required was that GFWL was installed.  That's it.  I never once ran it, I still don't have an account on it and don't plan on it.  All FO3 cared wast that it was just installed.  I chose not to use any of the GFWL features and thus never used it.  Maybe it's different with other games, I don't know.

Impulse is similar in that it just needs to be installed to get patches and nothing else.  Heck, you can even uninstall Impulse once your game is installed and never use it again if you don't want patches (or patches are available stand alone).

But Steam and Steamworks is totally different.  The DRM portion I have no issue with, say a one time login registration.  But after that to be forced to keep Steam on my computer and running when I play a game is what is unacceptable to me and many others.  Along with the whole monopoly thing.

If Steam were simply a digital store and DRM I don't think there would be the outcry against it.  It's that it forces itself on you, even for a single player only game, is what is unacceptable.

I never used GFWL with Fallout 3. One of the first mods/utilities that I found was GFWL disabler. You can also just drop all of your DLCs into the Data folder and enable them with FOMM. It actually causes less problems.

I was hoping to pick up a retail copy but I just don't see the point now. I'll just buy from Steam. I don't really mind. Steam does have it's downsides but it could be worse. This is the one game that I can honestly say if it used Ubi's DRM I would still buy it, I love FO3.

Quoting Peace Phoenix,
Impulse::Reactor, Stardock's answer to Steamworks, doesn't launch till August. It offers the same service as Steamworks without requiring the Impulse client to be installed or running, unlike Steamworks which requires Steam installed and running at all times.

You forgot another important point with Impulse::reactor: you don't need an Impulse account, a Facebook account can do the trick. 

Really how do I use this Impulse Reactor? If it's such a better option. I'll take Steam over GFWL any day of the week.

How does Impulse even work? Is the exe encryped like D2D or Steam which can cause problems with mods. Morrowind Graphics Extender is a prime example of where problems pop up.

The reason that I don't use Impulse that often is that I can usually find a copy cheaper on D2D, gamersgate, Steam, or even a retail box copy. I don't know how you can blame Steam when I see other DD services running similar sales all of the time.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.