The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Stardock Friday Mega Stream
Sep 3, 2016 10:33

Stardock will be doing Let's Plays on its latest games starting at 11am with Soren Johnson (Civilization IV designer) playing Offworld Trading Company through Brad Wardell (designer of Galactic Civilizations and Ashes of the Singularity) playing Sorcerer King: Rivals and Ashes of the Singularity in the afternoon.

Subscribe to: https://www.twitch.tv/stardock 

• 11am: Offworld Trading Company
  • 2pm: Sorcerer King: Rivals
  • 4pm: Ashes of the Singularity Multiplayer

Feel free to hop in and ask any questions.  Brad is the CEO of Stardock and Soren is the CEO of Mohawk Games.

sedna's silence: best way to use?

By on May 24, 2010 9:04:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nucleus Acc...

Join Date 03/2003
+15

I'm embarrassed to say that while I like playing Sedna, I don't have a firm understanding of how best to use Silence.  I've read several excellent players (whose opinion I respect) say that Silence is an outstanding skill, but that they often see other players misuse it. I'd rather not be one of those "other players."

Any tips on when/how to use Silence to get the most for your mana?

Locked Post 21 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 24, 2010 9:28:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll outlay the most common ways to MISUSE Silence:

1- Everyone whose abilities you Silence are on Cooldown (easiest against people with lots of Ranged abilities, Occulus, TB)

2- Using Silence 1v1. Most demigods will say "You Silence, I kill you" in a 1v1 fight

If you silence everyone while on cooldown then you just completely wasted mana (and Silence is not cheap). 

Silence is rarely useful 1v1. The ONLY time I Silence 1v1 is to cover up a lock or a port (Silence II guarentees a port out from everyone. Silence I guarantees a port out from every skill except Penitence, Deep Freeze, Grasp, Swap and Silence (cast time is instant. So that leaves Mass Charm, Frost Nova, Pounce, Boulder Roll)) or against a UB.

Why UB? Most UBs will learn that you will Heal III of their spits so they'll save it, alternatively, they'll try to grasp you as soon as they spit (or guess you will heal). If they are saving their grasp and Spit, Silence buys you time to delay those abilities another three seconds and lets you heal safely. Then it breaks the rhythm of spells and helps you out a bit. However, you have to be very careful about this. I have Silenced "once too much" and run out of mana for a crucial heal. 

You should use Silence as the first ability whenever you port in or you get ported on (especially when multiple people come). 2 people porting on you and a buddy on the HP flag will typically result in you winning the skirmish when you get to unload your abilities and they don't.  

Once you level up Magnificent Presence, you can Silence at the beginning and end of the battle, and sometimes even three times in hectic ones. 

The other best time to use Silence is to prevent sigils. I will Silence-Pounce and then my buddy will do whatever burst damage he has and finish them off. Counter Healing means that monks won't throw it off.

You can also use it to link Stuns: Your UB stuns a target, then your Erebus starts casting Charm while he is grasped so he remains stunned. While this is happening you walk forward to cover both the opposing Oak and the targeted demigod and drop Silence. Now he is shield-less, sigilless. This works especially well against Erebus who becomes dreadfully overexposed once he has no Bite, no Mist, no Mass Charm and no Batswarm.  

If you get max out Magnificent Presence and get the opponent's Celerity flag a wonderful thing happens: you can perpetually stun/Silence. It drops all 15 cooldown stuns (Silence, Frost Nova, Grasp, Boulder Roll) to 9 seconds. Boulder Roll (2.5) -> Grasp (2) -> Silence III (5) and by the time Silence wears off, they are Boulder Rolled again. You can't quite perpetually do it if you don't have the Celerity flag, but they only have roughly a 1.5 second window. 

Once you have max MP and Pounce, you can guarantee a kill against all not-faster-than-you Demigods: The second they hit ~2.2k, Pounce, Silence, autoattack and Pounce again when it comes off of cooldown (4.5 seconds to Silecence's 5 second duration). However, it is difficult to do this against most characters because you have to invest in Inner Grace in order to properly chase most demigods. 

Sedna versus Sedna Silence typically goes to whoever wins first, but you have to be careful how you time it. Sedna versus Sedna is very very fun (for me) partially because it is so rare. Builds that work very well against most tier 1 demigods aren't as effective against Sedna mirrors. 

May 24, 2010 9:33:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

when someone gets low enough that you can kill before silence wears off so they cannot sigil.

After a rook boulder rolls so you can silence his slam.

To prevent someone from teleporting away from you.

To lock something or port away so you prevent the enemy interrupt (only necessary if they are a demigod that can interrupt)

If you recognize the animation for essence of magic (rarely used), use silence before they do any abilities to prevent them the use of their favor.

To prevent erebus from batswarming away when he's low health and your team could potentially kill.  To prevent Occulus from jumping away, or any general with blink.  Again only if you have a potentially kill on that target.

To prevent massive damage to your team in a battle (slam, mines, blast off, etc)

To prevent mass charm if it would be useful, although pounce is better for this.

May 24, 2010 9:34:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

damn you would post 5 minutes before me .. figured you'd post but it had already been 30 minutes or so lol.  

May 25, 2010 1:18:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I find it helpful to have at least one point on pounce early, that way you have 2 stuns saved up. Just make sure you save one or the other.

May 25, 2010 2:21:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I save silence usually for the killing chase. Try to guess when you think oak will shield, or someone with a wand of speed will activate it. The most important use of silence is either silence than locking a portal or delaying someones use of a sigil. If you can delay a sigil use for 4 seconds that usually means they are dead

May 26, 2010 2:41:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Screws those damn shield whore Oaks! Wait till his ass is low and fuck him over.

May 26, 2010 5:24:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sedna is the only DG with a chance of killing Oak. It's so frustrating when an Oak bum rushes your portal because you KNOW how it's going to play out.

May 26, 2010 5:40:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I got Peaceful yelled at one game, lol.

Our pug Sedna Silenced. I counted to 3 and hit lvl 2 Frost Nova and I forgot who it was, but they FLIPPED yellin "WHERE WAS MY SHIELD!?" when they died.

I felt bad that it felt so good.

May 26, 2010 6:05:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I remember, I was there. 

I wouldn't have too many qualms about killing an UB Teseer.

May 26, 2010 6:09:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Haha, too true!

It was funny as hell. I almost fell on the ground laughing when they started yelling at each other.

May 26, 2010 6:29:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_Splitshadow,
Sedna is the only DG with a chance of killing Oak. It's so frustrating when an Oak bum rushes your portal because you KNOW how it's going to play out.

DA!

May 26, 2010 6:41:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, DA will probably end up killing himself though lol.

May 27, 2010 7:32:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've found that DA rarely gets killed when that happens. He can usually warp strike his way out.

May 27, 2010 7:40:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

^WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?

COME BACK AND MAKE THE FORUMS ACTIVE AGAIN.

May 27, 2010 7:49:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, epi. You're one of the coolest people here. 

May 28, 2010 9:53:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Aww, geez.

May 29, 2010 1:22:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

when someone gets low enough that you can kill before silence wears off so they cannot sigil.

To lock something or port away so you prevent the enemy interrupt (only necessary if they are a demigod that can interrupt)

May 29, 2010 2:07:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_Epiphenomenon,
Aww, geez.

That comment better be for me.

Split already gets enough attention.

May 29, 2010 12:22:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_Splitshadow,
Yeah, epi. You're one of the coolest people here. 
how dare you catch up to me in karma, now I must end you!

May 29, 2010 1:02:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Best time to use silence: When you don't want them to be able to do/use something.

May 29, 2010 4:37:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Oh well, i wanted to give more karma to split, so he could catch up synnworld, but i clicked wrong person, i guess im too drunk
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time: