The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

Scratch Civ V off my buy list.

By on May 6, 2010 8:30:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3792/

I wonder if this means Brad Wardell will stop working with Civ V.

I just can't support DRM, that while not TOO bad, helps enforce a near-monopoly.  This may be a blow to the other DD providers- as this is the biggest game to do this so far.

Hopefully EWOM is everything I want, because now I'm relying on it.

(Note: I do use Steam, I just won't support being forced to use it on non-Valve products)

+25 Karma | 726 Replies
May 6, 2010 4:42:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This isnt a rally against DRM (for me anyways). The problem is not that CIV V is on Steam. The problem is that it is Steam ONLY...

May 6, 2010 4:43:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

know, I'm crazy for thinking that buying games at 75% discount is an awesome thing.

The only problem is that crazy Steam weekend deals have started only after Impulse started their weekend buy deals. So you really need some competition for customer interests.

May 6, 2010 4:48:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Now you are just being rude. My understanding of economics are just fine. You dont listen to others but go for the easy insults. I am 38 years old, have 7 years of economic education after mandatory school and I work with developing Private Banking websolutions. That should be enough, but it isnt really relevant here. What is relevant is that one should be able to have an educational discussion without insults.

I do listen to others. I'm pretty sure that I understand the anti-Steam arguments pretty well as I've heard them ad infinitum. I'm not trying to be rude. I'm being honest. In fact, I actually thought I was being helpful. I'm trying to show you guys that it's more important to buy games because they're fun rather than worry about the economics, because the economics are MUCH more complicated than most people here seem to think.

I'm getting a PhD in econ, but I agree that the level of education doesn't matter. Just buy games that are worth the money you spend on them. Otherwise you're cheating yourself from a great time.

May 6, 2010 4:52:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting joasoze,
This isnt a rally against DRM (for me anyways). The problem is not that CIV V is on Steam. The problem is that it is Steam ONLY...

No it's not. It uses Steamworks. They will be using 2k publishing for the in store copies.

Steamworks is not Steam. Steam is not Steamworks. Steamworks' best equivalent is Windows Live. The reason you don't see Steamworks on Impulse is because they choose not to support it (yet support Ubisoft's DRM). Any online distributor can sell the game; you just  have to eventually install Steam, just like you have to install Windows Live for some games. Of course, Stardock allows Ubisoft DRM, EA download manager, and Windows Live because their online distribution platforms are simply not as successful as Steam's.

It's all good business, but I wish people would stop pretending this is some holy crusade against the "evil" Steam.

May 6, 2010 4:53:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The only problem is that crazy Steam weekend deals have started only after Impulse started their weekend buy deals. So you really need some competition for customer interests.

Steam was offering 75% off deals before Impluse was even around. They were taking advantage of differing price elasticities of different consumers. It had nothing to do with direct competition from Impulse per se.

May 6, 2010 4:54:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RAWRRRR,

no, my post was in reference to the guy complaining he had to log onto the internet once to play single player.  He wants everything to be without the internet, but yet here he is posting online (sup hypocrisy).  I consider a world with internet to be progress.

Hypocrisy to ask for a single player game to be (or have without extra modes like the "offline mode" of Steam) offline and don't force me to use the internet? And you dare to compare it with my right to enjoy the multiplayer game known as "Posting in a forum"? Next level raise your Perception skill. It lacks.

Quoting RAWRRRR,

sup I can do it too.

Don't be so humble. I can do it. You are.

May 6, 2010 4:57:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hypocrisy to ask for a single player game to be (or have without extra modes like the "offline mode" of Steam) offline and don't force me to use the internet?

Clearly you get on the internet at least once a day. Why is it such a big deal that you are asked to connect once? Is it such a big deal that you are willing to forgo great deals and awesome games? Clicking a button once while online just doesn't seem to that big of a deal when compared to the stuff you're missing out on. I've gotten to play tons of addicting games for a quarter of the cost. What did it cost me? I had to be online once. just once. and i had to click a button labelled "offline." That's hardly inconvenient.

May 6, 2010 4:58:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,

Hypocrisy to ask for a single player game to be (or have without extra modes like the "offline mode" of Steam) offline and don't force me to use the internet? And you dare to compare it with my right to enjoy the multiplayer game known as "Posting in a forum"? Next level raise your Perception skill. It lacks.

Single player game in Impulse:

1) Open Impulse
2) Buy game
3) Download and install game
4) Close Impulse
5) Launch game, enjoy
6) Subsequent launching: just doubleclick on the desktop shortcut!

Single player game in Steam:
1) Open Steam
2) Buy game
4) Set Steam to offline mode
5) Launch game, enjoy
6) Subsequent launching: just doubleclick on the desktop shortcut! Steam will launch in offline mode, and then automatically start the game.

May 6, 2010 5:08:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DeCypher00,
you just  have to eventually install Steam,

well, there you have it.

Regarding your post comparing impulse with steam. You forgot point 7. Steam will have to run for you to play even in offline mode. Impulse doesnt.

May 6, 2010 5:11:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Steam was offering 75% off deals before Impluse was even around. They were taking advantage of differing price elasticities of different consumers. It had nothing to do with direct competition from Impulse per se.

Sorry but that's not true. I've seen people on forums claim that Steam was doing weekend deals before Impulse (they don't provide evidence, they just insist that's the case despite archive.org making it pretty obvious that weekend deals didn't show up until AFTER Impulse came out).

Steam didn't start doing 75% off deals until AFTER Impulse did the 75% discount on Space Rangers 2 on Impulse. 

It's the same on the big huge Christmas sales.  No one has ever claimed that there weren't sales of some kind now and then. But it was Impulse's aggressive weekly sales and such that changed the game.

Personally, I don't have an issue with the "DRM" aspect of Steam. Steam works fine. I have it on my machine. I use it every day.

The issue is the lock-in to the Steam client. Steamworks could have been architected not to force the bundling of their store client. But it does. 

I like Steam. And as a developer, I appreciate what Steamworks provides. However, I do not want to be lending my support to something that is clearly designed to turn the PC into a closed platform.

If I make a game for the iPhone, I understand that I have to sell it on the App store (as a practical matter).  But as a PC developer and consumer, I don't want to see the PC become a closed platform.

If you take Steamworks to its logical conclusion, then in 5 years, the PC platform will be closed. If you want to make a PC game that will see a reasonable audience, you will have to sell it on Steam and accept whatever requirements Steam insists on. We already have people trying to pressure us to sell our titles on Steam (even though Steam takes about a third of the revenue on any title sold on it).

Let's be realistic here, in 5 years, if Steamworks and Steam were to completely dominate the market, there'd be no real reason to have games at retail. Putting games at retail is expensive.  Think that's a great thing for consumers? Think again.

If the PC were to become a closed platform, then as a developer, I might as well pick a closed platform where the the platform owner provides a lot more services to the developer (i.e. consoles, iPhone/iPad, etc.).  Why make a game for the PC, with all its headaches, if I'm going to ultimately be forced to sell it in one place?

Consumers are rarely aware of what they are missing in the absence of competition.

2KGames is certainly free to use whatever SDK they choose to and accept whatever strings come along to it. As a consumer and modder, I can choose not to support that. That's the beauty of the free market.

May 6, 2010 5:11:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

While I don't like digital distribution exclusives I can live with Civ 5 being sold digitally only thru Steam (but I would of course like to get it via Impulse).

My problem is that even if I buy a retail boxed copy at the local Best Buy I am *forced* to install and use Steam.

WHY?!?

No reason whatsover.

Thus, for the first time in 20 years I will not be buying a Civ game. 

May 6, 2010 5:12:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting joasoze,

Quoting DeCypher00, reply 54 you just  have to eventually install Steam,
well, there you have it.

Regarding your post comparing impulse with steam. You forgot point 7. Steam will have to run for you to play even in offline mode. Impulse doesnt.

Yes, but that completely negates your point of Steam being the "only" place you can buy it. How is it different from installing Windows Live?

How is a 20MB background process crippling to you? I mean, everyone keeps naming that as a reason, but what about running Steam in the background is actually causing you harm? To me, always having my TF2 clan in reach through Steam friends and Steam groups is invaluable.

May 6, 2010 5:14:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting bonscott,
While I don't like digital distribution exclusives I can live with Civ 5 being sold digitally only thru Steam.

My problem is that even if I buy a retail boxed copy at the local Best Buy I am *forced* to install and use Steam.

WHY?!?

No reason whatsover.

And if you buy Settlers 7 from Impulse, you will be forced to use Ubisoft's crippling DRM that doesn't even let you play offline. Where's the furor? Where's the upstanding citizens of Stardock who support reasonable DRM like all first party Stardock games? Nowhere, when they stand to make a profit off of every sale.

May 6, 2010 5:15:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DeCypher00,

Quoting joasoze, reply 59
Quoting DeCypher00, reply 54 you just  have to eventually install Steam,
well, there you have it.

Yes, but that completely negates your point of Steam being the "only" place you can buy it. How is it different from installing Windows Live?

How is a 20MB background process crippling to you? I mean, everyone keeps naming that as a reason, but what about running Steam in the background is actually causing you harm? To me, always having my TF2 clan in reach through Steam friends and Steam groups is invaluable.

That's fine for you.  BUT THIS IS PRIMARILY A SINGLE PLAYER GAME!  Why do I want anything to do with online stuff while playing?  Maybe Steam is the best thing since sliced bread for you FPS and multiplayer only games, but this is a single player game here.  I DO NOT need anything from Steam and WILL NOT be forced to install it let alone have it run in "offline mode" just to play a *single player* game.

Just not going to happen.  Ever.

May 6, 2010 5:18:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DeCypher00,

Quoting bonscott, reply 61While I don't like digital distribution exclusives I can live with Civ 5 being sold digitally only thru Steam.

WHY?!?

No reason whatsover.

And if you buy Settlers 7 from Impulse, you will be forced to use Ubisoft's crippling DRM that doesn't even let you play offline. Where's the furor? Where's the upstanding citizens of Stardock who support reasonable DRM like all first party Stardock games? Nowhere, when they stand to make a profit off of every sale.

Have you seen the threads on Settlers 7 and the Ubisoft DRM?  Plenty of people that refuse to buy the game due to this over the top DRM.  Me included.  I don't care that it's available on Impulse, the DRM it's using means I refuse to buy it from anywhere.

In the case here of Civ 5, not being able to buy it on Impulse isn't the issue.  It's being forced to use Steam.  Even if Civ 5 was available on Impulse, if it still forced me to install and use Steam I would not buy it.  Period.  Where I get the game is irrelevant, it's the fact that Steam is being shoved down my throat that is the problem.

May 6, 2010 5:18:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Epiphenomenon,

Clearly you get on the internet at least once a day. Why is it such a big deal that you are asked to connect once? Is it such a big deal that you are willing to forgo great deals and awesome games?
I only own Dawn of War 2 in Steam and onyl because of Warhammer 40k and Relic. Not that I consider the Steam service bad per se. I actually think it's great. But a single player game is based on no other players. If the are are no other players, why should I need internet at all? ANd I don't ignore the fact that CIv V will have multiplayer but it'd be foolish to suppose that everyone who will buy it will ever play multiplayer even once.

And not everybody has good internet connections, I have read the the "offline mode" has improved this last month but it's still not good (for everybody... people seem to be in selfish mode too often and don't care about users that have problems, that's why world peace is impossible between other things).

Single player game in Impulse (digital purchase):

0) Internet Access
1) Open Impulse
2) Buy game
4) Close Impulse
5) Launch game, enjoy
6) Subsequent launching: just doubleclick on the desktop shortcut!

Single player game in GOO (local store purchase):

0) Local store with the game (d' oh!)
1) Install game
2) Launch game, enjoy
3) Subsequent launching: just doubleclick on the desktop shortcut! (updates/patches require internet/Impulse)

Single player game in Steam (any kind of purchase, digital or not):

0) Internet Access
1) Open Steam
2) Buy game
4) Set Steam to offline mode (shouldn't have to do anything to play single player but here we go)
5) Launch game, enjoy
6) Subsequent launching: just doubleclick on the desktop shortcut! Steam will launch in offline mode, and then automatically start the game. (more slow, requires to still have Steam installed)

May 6, 2010 5:18:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Steamworks is not Steam. Steam is not Steamworks. Steamworks' best equivalent is Windows Live. The reason you don't see Steamworks on Impulse is because they choose not to support it (yet support Ubisoft's DRM).

Not quite. Brad (the CEO of Stardock) has stated numerous time that the problem with Steamworks is that it requires in order to play the game to launch the Steam client with access to the Steam store.

That is why Stardock is creating the Impulse reactor  (see http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62814 ) in order to offer a vendor neutral solution for some MP functionnalities.

May 6, 2010 5:20:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So, even if I buy from Amazon or nick it off a store shelf, still got to install Steam ... if that's true then I'm out too. No Civ 5 for me.

Think I will go over to civfanatics and if this is truly what they are doing I am going to put up numerous posts carefully laced with venom and sarcasm.

http://www.facebook.com/civnetwork?v=info I wonder if this will apply also to the civ network version?

May 6, 2010 5:20:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting bonscott,

That's fine for you.  BUT THIS IS PRIMARILY A SINGLE PLAYER GAME!  Why do I want anything to do with online stuff while playing?  Maybe Steam is the best thing since sliced bread for you FPS and multiplayer only games, but this is a single player game here.  I DO NOT need anything from Steam and WILL NOT be forced to install it let alone have it run in "offline mode" just to play a *single player* game.

Just not going to happen.  Ever.

Did you not see my step by step comparison of installing a single player game through Steam and Impulse? It's not as different as you'd like to think it is, except for the 20MB background process. Well, after the UI update, maybe 40-50MB.

May 6, 2010 5:25:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting joasoze,

And it is enough to not make you buying a game you like ? It is not as if you are earning anything from boycotting Steam and, frankly, open competition in the video games market is not in my top 10 'causes worth fighting for'.

No matter how many times i read this thread, it still looks damn irrationnal to me.

May 6, 2010 5:25:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DeCypher00,

My translation of what you say seems to be faulty and don't get it right so forgive me if what I say now is.. er... off topic?

Stardock can only rule the DRM of their own games. Impulse is a digital distribution platform and things like the DRM and regigional limits are done by the publishers that want their games in Impulse. No one here likes regional limits or Ubi DRM, but at least Stardock games only require you Impulse if you want to patch the game and/or get the non-patch updates (aka extra content for registered users). And for much as some of us would love Impulse banning from its store some publishers/games due to the DRM they use, it seems unrealistic froma business point of view?

On the other hand, I'll be happily buying this one: http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/05/01/alpha-protocol-pc-drm-details/

May 6, 2010 5:26:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Peace Phoenix,

Steamworks is not Steam. Steam is not Steamworks. Steamworks' best equivalent is Windows Live. The reason you don't see Steamworks on Impulse is because they choose not to support it (yet support Ubisoft's DRM).
Not quite. Brad (the CEO of Stardoc) has stated numerous time that the problem with Steamworks is that it requires in order to play the game to launch the Steam client with access to the Steam store.

That is why Stardock is creating the Impulse reactor  (see http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62814 ) in order to offer a vendor neutral solution for some MP functionnalities.

Ah, finally, a reasonable post.

But as you can see, Brad's decision is based on a business reason, not some moral reason. And he is FULLY justified in doing that for just business reasons. I just find it hilarious that all these other posters act like it's anything more than a business reason.

Steam is smart. They added useful features to their DRM. They made it incredibly easy to buy games through their integrated platform.

It's noble that Stardock is trying a less intrusive approach, but I can't believe he can't see the business genius in closing a game, and then seeing a "80% sale" right in your face. Annoying to some people? Probably.  $2 for Deus Ex? Sign me up.

May 6, 2010 5:38:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Personally ill still be buying Civ 5, although im not happy i now wont be able to play it at work with my friends during lunch.

May 6, 2010 5:42:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wintersong,

And for much as some of us would love Impulse banning from its store some publishers/games due to the DRM they use, it seems unrealistic froma business point of view?

On the other hand, I'll be happily buying this one: http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/05/01/alpha-protocol-pc-drm-details/

Not off topic at all, Wintersong. You actually hit the nail on the head. The reason Impulse supports Ubisoft and not Steam is because Steam is Impulse's number one competitor. It has nothing to do with how good or bad the DRM is. Even Steam haters will agree that Steam is better than Ubisoft's DRM. But from a business standpoint, there's no reason not to support Ubisoft games. They're not an online distributor.

Here's the ugly truth: if Steam wasn't so successful, I'm sure Stardock would have no problem supporting Steamworks games, because, like you said, Stardock can't control what a publisher uses for their DRM. But they can choose not to sell it, because it leads buyers to a service that is currently better than Impulse for a lot of people. Not you. Probably not anyone in this forum. But for millions of people. Steam= Windows. Impulse = Linux.

Off topic: I wonder why people are so excited about Alpha Protocol's DRM? I saw it on reddit, too. All it is a SECUROM or Windows Live one time internet activation.

May 6, 2010 5:59:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

But they can choose not to sell it, because it leads buyers to a service that is currently better than Impulse for a lot of people.

And a plateform very profitable for Steam, as hinted by Frogboy:

. We already have people trying to pressure us to sell our titles on Steam (even though Steam takes about a third of the revenue on any title sold on it).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.