The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

April 2010 2v2 Demigod Community Tournament - Rules and Registration

By on April 6, 2010 10:46:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

DG Community - we are in the process of organizing a Demigod 2v2 tournament.  This tournament is open to all that would like to participate, but does require that you follow this thread for updates, etc, as the majority of the communications including brackets will be published here. 

This thread will provide the latest tournament rules, 2 man teams that have registered, and individuals that are looking to be a part of a team but do not currently have a partner.  If you'd like to participate and don't have a team, indicate so here.  Then, make efforts either in this thread or via pm to form your own team. If you are unable to form a two man team, don't worry.  All of the individuals that have indicated that they'd like to participate and were not successful at forming a 2-man team will be randomly placed into teams on the cut off date.

REGISTRATION IS CLOSED

Tournament Rules:

• You may only select characters as indicated in the grid below:

• Each match in the tournament will be the best 2 out of 3 games
  • All matches will be played on cataract with default settings (the only exceptions being AI HP on Very High and AI Gold/XP on low)
  • After teams are formed, they will be randomly placed into a bracket to determine who will fight who.  Everything will be random initially in round 1.  In the following rounds, the winners from one game will play the winners from another based on location in the bracket starting from the top on to the bottom.
  • Each team will play 1 round on light side, then 1 round on dark side.  If there is a 3rd round, the team that had the fastest win in game 1 or 2 gets to pick the side they want to be on (keep in mind the following rule).  
  • The team that is on the dark side must pick their characters and ready up first.  Then the light gets to pick and the dark side does not have a chance to adjust their characters. 
  • To track your wins, you must do the following - post the replay at gamereplays.org.  If you have issues with gamereplays, upload the file to rapid share and provide us with a link.  Also, provide a link to the match in the pantheon and let me know if its a win or loss.  The winning team should do this for each and every match.
  • UberFix 1.02 must be used (https://forums.demigodthegame.com/374315) UberFix is a mod that simply fixes many of the bugs in Demigod.  Check the modding forum for everything that is fixed by UberFix 1.02. 

How will we handle crashes:

If there is a game crash, the players involved in that match should see if they can come to a consensus on the probable outcome of the match.  If there is no clear winner, the 2 teams should replay the match using the exact same demigods and sides (light/dark).  If there was a clear winner at that point in the game, then that team should be awarded the win.  If the 2 teams disagree on the outcome, a third party will review the replay of the match and render a decision.  Be aware that the 3rd party must agree that a specific team was going to win or the results will be thrown out and the match redone.

How we will handle invalid game states:

The lastgamereplay file is still created in the event of an invalid game state, so it is still possible to review the results of a match.  In the event of an invalid game state, players should attempt to resolve the issue exactly the same way as game crashes.  If you believe foul play occurred, submit the replay along with any screen shots, etc, as evidence and we will review.  If there is a CLEAR consensus that a team is willingly triggering invalid game states, that team should be disqualified after a thorough review of the facts. Please be reasonable, though.  We all know that Demigod has its bugs and its still pretty easy to encounter an invalid game state even if no one has intentionally triggered it.  If your game does crash, it might be advisable to take a screen shot of the crash as proof.

Also be aware that we know invalid game states can occur without any foul play.

Prizes:

Outside of prestige in our small community, there is also a cash prize thanks to community contributions.

Currently, the total amount pledged for this tournament is $199.95.  Of that $199.95, I have received $99.95.  If you would like to contribute to the pot, please pm me and I'll get you the needed info to send me a payment.  If individuals do not come through on their pledges, I will not be personally covering the difference.  My goal is to collect the pledged amount before the tournament starts and I will be providing updates as I receive the pledged money.

Please thank our contributors and consider contributing to the prize yourself.

Bracket: 

Round 1a/1b results are here:  http://forums.impulsedriven.com/380837

+161 Karma | 508 Replies
April 7, 2010 3:25:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why not skip all of the attempts to make rules and just make a list of all legal team pairings?

April 7, 2010 3:35:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

^That's what I said but apparently that's too "difficult"

Quoting RAWRRRR,
K I'll get off the fence and find a teammate tonight or somethin

I thought we were commentating together

EDIT: And why are we STILL not facebook friends?

April 7, 2010 3:35:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hedgie - can you repost your tier system in as much detail as is required and we can discuss.  I'm fine with going that route.  We just need to agree as to whether or not your numbering system is reasonable and tweak as is appropriate. 

April 7, 2010 3:36:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I really like the idea of Awuffleablehedgie how to choose demigods. I would count TB as 2,5 or maybe even as 3. It would make the tournament way more interesting!! we should really discuss this!!

I have a idea how we can handle the 3rd round. Lets consider we will choose our demigods with Awuffleablehedgie rule. In the 3rd Round the team on the dark side is the same as in the first round, but they only need a minimum of 3.5 or 3 points.

I'm still looking for a partner!! Some German Dudes around, or someone near my time region??? Plz pm if you want to play with me!!

April 7, 2010 3:36:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ptarth,
Why not skip all of the attempts to make rules and just make a list of all legal team pairings?

Ha and I can't do math. It was 4 + 2 + 2 + 1 not 4 + 3 + 3 + 1. So there's 9 "equally" competitive combos with 1 that is up in the air. 

Made that earlier:

Erebus + DA

Erebus + Reg

Oak + DA

Oak + Reg

UB + Queen

Rook + Queen

Sedna + TB

Occ + TB

Sedna + Occ (to be determined)

-- less competitive combos but still legal: 

Rook + Reg

Rook + DA

UB + Reg

UB + DA

Sedna + Queen

Sedna + Reg

Sedna + DA

Occ + Queen

Occ + Reg 

Occ + DA

Queen + TB

TB + Reg

TB + DA

Queen + Reg

Queen + DA

Reg + DA

Edit: bleh editing to reflect new posts

April 7, 2010 3:47:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sedna & Occulus should be ok, cause there aren't too many that can play them well.

April 7, 2010 4:09:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So the basic point system is that higher points == less competitive combinations.

I try to base tiers off of the map and game mode. 2v2 Cataract. This means that interrupts are VERY important because of portal flags and just the map in general. Minions are stronger 2v2 then they are 3v3, and being a General is a "significant" boon because of monks. In general, we can assume all teams will have at least one general, but there should be minimal double-general teams possible because of 2x minion swarm combinations with 2x Ring of Divine Might (so, Erebus and Oak should not be able to be with another general since Occ, Queen and Sedna all have shitty summonable minions).  

Furthermore, there should be more-obvious super-combination, and all combinations should have a fighting chance against all other ones, except for a few just "bad" matchups (like Erebus + TB would probably really push around a Queen + Rook team, but Queen + Rook would do fine against most other matchups). 

1 point - Erebus, Oak

1.5 points - Rook, UB

2 points - Sedna, Torchbearer, Occulus

2.5 points - Queen 

3 points - Demon Assassin, Regulus

You must have at least 4 points. There is no maximum amount of points that you may have (you can go DA + Reg) but if you do so you are probably going to be at a disadvantage. 

Tier explanations as follows:

Erebus: He is fast, very hard to kill, holds lanes very well. Has a good AoE stun that covers up locks. Batswarm enables him to port-ninja with minimal risk. He's a general, with excellent free minions that work towers well. He doesn't have very many weaknesses and few demigods can easily push him out of a lane. This puts him at tier 1: he is able to hold a lane alone, push towers well, lock flags, ninja portals and is a general.

Oak: Though Oak has difficulty early-game, 2v2 tends to last longer than 3v3, so levels are less of an issue. He's somewhat expensive, but not to the point where he is a liability. He's virtually impossible to kill, and end game he is a time bomb. He has very few weaknesses, since he has great minions, good AoE, good team support. This puts him at tier 1: he is able to hold a lane alone, push towers well, lock flags, ninja portals, and is a general. 

Rook: Rook is insanely strong 2v2 Cataract since he can beat most demigods 1v1 for most of the game while fighting for lanes. He can hold enemy portals and basically liquidate an enemies portal side. However, he is extremely vulnerable to minions and is also very slow. He's also a little expensive since he needs 2 helms to keep up a decent tower farm. This puts him at tier 1.5: He is able to hold a lane alone extremely well, and push towers extremely well. However, he is unable to ninja portals and has a few weaknesses that other demigods do not have. He is also an assassin and therefore dependent on priests and monks.

UB: UB is probably easily the most powerful demigod in the game. He is fast, does insane DPS, has awesome stuns and when combined with Sigils, Acclimation and his native speed, one of the most hardiest demigods. He isn't terribly expensive (though he isn't cheap) and has excellent AoE. However, he's an Assassin and therefore highly dependent on monks. This knocks him down half a tier. This puts him at tier 1.5: he is able to hold a lane, push towers well, lock flags and he can pretty much saunter up to your portal and kill you

Occulus: Occulus with a stun would be Tier 1. However, he does not and this makes him a bit of a liability end game. He has the second-best AoE in the game, and is able to push creeps and towers very well. He can health stack like crazy and hold flags quite well. Blast Off! enables him to ninja portals, though not as well as Erebus. He is a general, though his summonable minions don't work well until his level 15 ability. He is able to hold lanes well, and push towers and ninja portals and push creeps. But he cannot prevent an enemy from locking. 

He is arguably tier 1.5 and not tier 2, since I think that a Sedna + Occ combination would be "too" strong. If we move Occulus to 1.5, I think we should drop TB to 2.5, so that we can keep an Occulus + TB combination tournament legal. Plus, I think it is extremely unlikely that anyone is going to go Rook + TB or UB + TB anyway. 

Sedna: Sedna is underestimated She is very strong through most of the game, and is able to fight most upper-tier characters for most of the game just fine. However, she is extremely vulnerable to minion builds, and her effectiveness also begins to taper off as giants come out since she lacks a proper AoE. She also has a very hard time against Rook. This puts her at tier 2: She is able to hold a lane alone for the majority of hte game, has 2 interrupts so she can lock. She can push towers decently because of her insane regen though it takes her longer to do it than most other demigods. She can ninja portals with Inner Grace. She is also a general. 

Torchbearer: TB is strong level 1 against generals, but he is greatly, greatly weakened after the first or second shops. Until Catapults and Giants come out, he tends to struggle against most other demigods. Once they do, however, he starts to really shine. He can push creeps extremely well, and since he never ooms he can get a nice level advantage over everyone else. He has access to 2 interrupts, one of which covers a lock at level 15. 

I currently have him at tier 2. You could probably move him to tier 2.5 because of his difficulty fighting Oak, Erebus and Beast for the majority of the game. I think that UB + TB and Rook + TB combinations aren't going to happen anyway. Regardless, because of his massive AoE, I'm putting him at tier 2 for now. I wouldn't be against dropping him down to 2.5

Queen: Queen is... also underestimated. With Ground Spikes she does absurd damage in conjunction with friendly minions and giants. However, she is really expensive, and has very low HP which makes her more vulnerable to chain-stunning than other demigods. She also lacks a way to interrupt or secure a lock which makes her a liability. This puts her at tier 2.5: she can hold a lane decently through most of the game, and she can push towers very well. However, she cannot ninja portals and is extremely expensive. She is a general, though, so that's a plus. 

Demon Assassin: DA is insanely strong at level 15. Don't get me wrong. However, until he gets to that point, he is struggling. He has excellent burst damage, but horrible mana issues to compensate. He is also extremely expensive. He has poor AoE and struggles against Giants. He is also dependent on having an ally with him in order to secure a kill with Swap, which is sort of useless when alone in a lane as long as your enemy doesn't horribly overextend. This puts him at tier 3: he cannot hold lanes very well, he can't push towers, Swap is a poor interrupt and he is uesless for most of the game. 

Regulus: Reg ... basically means you get the HP flag the whole game. Though Reg can do pretty well at countering a Rook and snipe-harass lets him push around a DA or TB or other squishies, his only utility comes in netting the team extra gold and map control via snipes and the occasional snipe-kill. However, because of Cataract's map design, he has to give up a flag to get a snipe off. This can put his team way behind in warscore. Additionally, he has no way to interrupt or secure a lock which causes problems. He isn't /too/ bad at pushing creeps and he can push towers without taking damage. This puts him at tier 3: he cannot hold lanes very well, and though he can push towers decently and provide snipe support... that's all he can really do. 

Legal combinations are in the post above this. Moving Occ to 1.5 and TB to 2.5 removes Sedna + Occ and addes Rook + TB and UB + TB to the "less competitive" list. 

April 7, 2010 4:14:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the best way to do it is:

First game, Light Side readys up first

Second game, teams switch sides. Light side readies up first.

Third game, whoever wins second game gets to choose side but has to choose demigods first regardless of which side they choose. 

Think this is what Pacov said except he has Darkness going first. I don't care either way. 

We /could/ have the third game go by different demigod-selection rules (both team has to have 3 points minimum or something), but I think that adds unnecessary complication at that point. 

April 7, 2010 4:34:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I prefer the more condensed list that with numerical values... People are going to need a giant cheat sheet just to figure out what they can do in this tourney. 

Perhaps there is a better way of presenting the data (I know, we're just talking here, but I'm thinking ahead)

Here's what I threw together... I think it follows hedgies logic.   Make note of the character combos to see who's getting nerfed per se:

April 7, 2010 4:38:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I think the best way to do it is:

First game, Light Side readys up first

Second game, teams switch sides. Light side readies up first.

Third game, whoever wins second game gets to choose side but has to choose demigods first regardless of which side they choose.

Yup - what you said, but swap light for dark.  So, the rules would be:

• Game 1 - Dark selects demigods first and cannot change their dgs once they click ready
  • Game 2 - Light and Dark players switch sides.  Dark selects demigods first and cannot change their dgs once they click ready
  • Game 3 - Winner from game 2 picks a side and but has to select their dgs first and cannot change dgs once they click ready 

I think this might be the best solution to keep things simple. 

April 7, 2010 4:42:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

oh and I'd vote NO occ+sed - hedgies prob the best sedna in the game, and if he thinks it op... well, we should probably defer to his judgment on that one. 

April 7, 2010 7:33:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
oh and I'd vote NO occ+sed - hedgies prob the best sedna in the game, and if he thinks it op... well, we should probably defer to his judgment on that one. 

I agree that oc + sed would be bad news.

April 7, 2010 9:08:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
I prefer the more condensed list that with numerical values... People are going to need a giant cheat sheet just to figure out what they can do in this tourney. 

Perhaps there is a better way of presenting the data (I know, we're just talking here, but I'm thinking ahead)

Here's what I threw together... I think it follows hedgies logic.   Make note of the character combos to see who's getting nerfed per se:

Reduced 83%Original 720 x 450

Yes, that's correct except you highlighted the wrong cell for the left one. You did Occ x Rook not Occ x Sed. 

And it's simple. Yay!

April 7, 2010 10:32:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here's an even easier to read version.  Discuss.  Is this good?  Changes needed?

Heh - if anyone from GPG is reading and is like, boy, I should balance some dg characters, it would appear that reg and da could use a buff. 

April 7, 2010 11:07:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How is Da and Da not allowed?

Edit: You can add jongalt and I as a team.

April 7, 2010 11:47:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
Here's an even easier to read version.  Discuss.  Is this good?  Changes needed?

Reduced 83%Original 717 x 247

Heh - if anyone from GPG is reading and is like, boy, I should balance some dg characters, it would appear that reg and da could use a buff. 

Need to disallow the second Rook x Sed combo

April 8, 2010 1:05:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why is the winner of game 2 able to select sides in game 3?  That doesn't make any sense.  Why not game 1?  The point of someone being able to pick sides in a third round is because they did better in the combination of both rounds before.  Otherwise it might as well be random. 

Time until victory is the easiest way to average who did better in the first two games.

April 8, 2010 1:07:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Edit: You can add jongalt and I as a team.

That's great!  added

April 8, 2010 1:18:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting gm-magnus333,
Why is the winner of game 2 able to select sides in game 3?  That doesn't make any sense.  Why not game 1?  The point of someone being able to pick sides in a third round is because they did better in the combination of both rounds before.  Otherwise it might as well be random. 

Time until victory is the easiest way to average who did better in the first two games.

its up for discussion.  The bottom line is that we need to decide EXACTLY what happens in the 3rd match in a 2 out of 3.  IMO, the most fair thing would a random call each time on who get's what side and who has to pick dgs first.  But, as that prob isn't possible, then its just trying to come up with a rule that's reasonable. 

April 8, 2010 1:40:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh - I don't mean to brag, but the CASH PRIZE IS NOW > $70.02.  That's right... .02. 

April 8, 2010 1:41:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How is Da and Da not allowed?

overriding rule of people thinking doubles are the devil   Our first community rule. 

April 8, 2010 4:01:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think Erebus and TB is ok. What's wrong with Tb and Oak?

Jeesh, poor Erebus and UB - they're not gonna get much love.

Also, your chart thing is confusing me - is QoT and UB allowed? Cause it's blacked out in the Column for QoT but not for UB.

April 8, 2010 5:34:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok bad news here.

Ke5trel and me decided to not play with each other in one team, because i am from Germany and he is from USA so we have 8 hours time difference between us

It's hard to train and play for us so add me to the solo section plz.

Dunno what Ke5trel is doing, but i thin he wants to join the solo section too.

So if anyone from Germany/Europe wants to play with me i am HERE:)

April 8, 2010 6:01:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GM-NinkiCZ,
I think Erebus and TB is ok. What's wrong with Tb and Oak?

Jeesh, poor Erebus and UB - they're not gonna get much love.

Also, your chart thing is confusing me - is QoT and UB allowed? Cause it's blacked out in the Column for QoT but not for UB.

TB is pretty strong in 2v2, that's the thing :-/ I consider him better in 2v2 Cata than 3v3 Cata, that's for sure. 4v4 Levi and other maps and game modes might be different. But, for sure, he is stronger 2v2 Cata than 3v3. 

UB + QoT is legal

Neither Erebus + TB or TB + Oak is currently tournament legal. Close. But not quite. You'd have to make a compelling argument for why that combination would equally competitive (and not strictly better) than the 8 "stock" 4 point combinations already existing:

Rook + Queen

UB + Queen

Erebus + Reg 

Erebus + DA

Oak + Reg

Oak + DA

Occulus + TB

Sedna + TB (4.5 now)

April 8, 2010 8:12:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This new system pleases me hedgie.  Now that she can team with UB or Rook, the best queen might actually turn out to be the MVP of this tournament, which could be hilarious. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.