The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

SupCom 1 or SupCom 2?

By on March 26, 2010 10:04:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hello, everyone

I have a copy of SupCom: Forged Alliance, and I have spent some time playing it finished the story 2 times, but overall I havent really played as much as I would like to. So I was thinking of buying SupCom 2.

I played the Supreme Commander 2 Demo today, because I am thinking of buying it. I was pretty sure it would "win" me, and playing the Demo was only typical or so to speak.

But I was a little disapointed, because it wasnt exactly what I expected.

The graphics are sure a small downgrade from SupCom: FA, and everything else seems, well, shallow. Like there isnt much depth to the game. But sometimes the Demos of very good games dont show their full potential, and can be misleading at times.

I know that if i buy SupCom 1, it would be simply more missions of SupCom: FA. I am not sure if it is worth it.

So I am looking for some feedback, on users who have played both the original SupCom (not the Forged Alliance, I already own it), and SupCom 2.

Should I buy SupCom 1 or 2?

Thanks in advance

+160 Karma | 107 Replies
March 29, 2010 6:10:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GM-morpheas768,

I had to set the difficulty setting in 1 of FA's missions to "Easy", because I lost 3 times in a row, and could NOT beat the normal AI whatsoever.

So either SupCom is a really hard game, or I suck really bad at it

All in all, I am glad they made SupCom 2 a lot easier than 1, but it lost its flavor somehow. Its kinda like removing the very hot chilli pepper sauce from a tasty dish, the dish will still be good and easier to eat and digest, however it would lack the flavor and punch that the sauce offered before.....

Sorry, never touched the campaign. I think I played the first mission once, but got bored. maybe it is really hard!

Quoting Teseer,

But I'm down for a game Raistlin. You use Lagwars?

sorry, no idea what lagwars is. i only play 1v1 ranked.

March 29, 2010 6:13:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting GM-morpheas768,
I am curious, how exactly was the Com Nuke before the nerf? Like bigger explosion radius?

it did a stupid amount of damage, like 70K and completely ruined games (ie by people com-bombing in team games). it got nerfed for a very good reason.

March 29, 2010 6:18:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Combombing on Finn's revenge FTW. I loved doing that in ranked games.

March 29, 2010 6:20:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LOL, almost a cheat!

Very unfair, imo

March 29, 2010 6:28:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's lame as hell. Hell, I think I enjoy the nerf it got in the Beta patch. It gives a lot more flexability when it comes to fighting Com to Com.

March 29, 2010 7:08:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What annoys me in SupCom 2, is that it doesnt allow for as much zoom in/out as SupCom 1.

Its not a lot of difference, but still its annoying to me.

March 29, 2010 7:15:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Would drive me nuts. That's why I'm not playing Starcraft 2. No Strategic Zoom.

March 29, 2010 8:39:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
Would drive me nuts. That's why I'm not playing Starcraft 2. No Strategic Zoom.

Yes, and thats why I think I can say that SupCom is a landmark in the RTS genre. SupCom 1 that is.

March 29, 2010 11:00:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm probably going to get Starcraft 2. I simply can't find any good recent RTSes elsewise. If we get a good total conversion on SC2 as some ppl are trying, I might get it.

March 30, 2010 6:38:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Epiphenomenon,
I'm probably going to get Starcraft 2. I simply can't find any good recent RTSes elsewise. If we get a good total conversion on SC2 as some ppl are trying, I might get it.

But what good will that do? If it gets a total conversion, it might be close like SupCom 1 at best, so how does that make it a better choice? Better off with SupCom 1 I say

I am not a fan of Starcraft, but I love the Warcraft series (not World of Warcraft). I wish they'd make Warcraft 4

March 30, 2010 10:04:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

What annoys me in SupCom 2, is that it doesnt allow for as much zoom in/out as SupCom 1.

Its not a lot of difference, but still its annoying to me

It still has strategic view of the whole battlefield... If your talking about how far it jumps with each click that can be changed in the options menu. I think there is a key you can hold to zoom in and out slower or faster as well.

March 30, 2010 11:14:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It still has strategic view of the whole battlefield... If your talking about how far it jumps with each click that can be changed in the options menu. I think there is a key you can hold to zoom in and out slower or faster as well.

No there is a small difference actually. You can zoom closer to each unit, and zoom out so far you can see the map like a monitor display.

March 30, 2010 11:34:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you haven't experienced the glory that is the Strategic Zoom in Sup Com, then you have not lived.

Edit: Oh, and Duel Monitor support = Win. Nothing like using my TV as a HUGE minimap.

March 30, 2010 12:23:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
If you haven't experienced the glory that is the Strategic Zoom in Sup Com, then you have not lived.

Edit: Oh, and Duel Monitor support = Win. Nothing like using my TV as a HUGE minimap.

he he, thats nice

March 30, 2010 6:15:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SwerydAss,

it also wont let you choose your own playing angle. well it does, but as soon as you zoom all the way out it resets it.

March 30, 2010 6:24:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it also wont let you choose your own playing angle. well it does, but as soon as you zoom all the way out it resets it.

Indeed, you have to adjust the angle every few seconds, because it resets, which is very annoying, and after doing it for a several times, I got bored of it and let it set to default position.

March 30, 2010 6:58:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sound more like thats a bug that needs to be fixed then(the angle part).  And your saying the only difference in the strategic veiw from each is that the first one puts a frame around it .... big deal you still see the whole map at once

March 30, 2010 7:34:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SwerydAss,
Sound more like thats a bug that needs to be fixed then(the angle part).  And your saying the only difference in the strategic veiw from each is that the first one puts a frame around it .... big deal you still see the whole map at once

I said that it doesnt zoom in as much too.

I also said that its annoying to ME

March 30, 2010 7:55:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I stand corrected!!

March 30, 2010 10:28:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SwerydAss,

no, its not a bug. its intentional.

March 31, 2010 6:40:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Pretty sure they did that so the console guys wouldn't get confused.

March 31, 2010 6:41:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Aractain,
Pretty sure they did that so the console guys wouldn't get confused.

LOLs 

April 3, 2010 1:55:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We should play SupCom. (FA of course)

Whos down for a big FFA?

April 3, 2010 2:03:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can play FA.

Tell me if you like to play with me.

April 3, 2010 2:06:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm totally down.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.