The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Mod Manager

By on February 24, 2010 8:59:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm currently coding this in delphi I'll be updating this post with screenshots and info soon (I'm looking for testers).

0 Karma | 63 Replies
February 6, 2011 9:35:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think this could be very useful if it were to be proven and taken up by the community -- no need to have to go the forums to get new versions, just boot this before starting demigod.

agreed.  Could be very useful.

February 6, 2011 10:34:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol you will just open this instead of demigod... wait for it to update/check for updates, then the "Play" button will become enabled and you just click "Play" and it will start demigod... and if you choose to you can install/uninstall/disable/update mods before you start it...

February 6, 2011 10:38:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

and of course moderators on the forums / officials will have the access to update the news section of the launcher with tourney info/updates on demigod ect.....

February 8, 2011 2:10:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

good news I'll have beta version done here soon....pacov do i have your ok to make a new thread about this?

February 8, 2011 4:40:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well ive been working on this non stop for 2 days now.. I've got it about 90% complete for a releasable version

I just need to finish the following:

Installed Mods Tab:
Check for updates

Available Mods Tab:
Display the type of mod i.e.,Multiplayer or UI

News Tab:
Display the news (haha sooooooooo simple just been working on  the above tabs)

heres a screenie of the available mods section so far:

The right side is to display the mod Discription/Updates(It process's a html file).

I'll give a detailed explanation to the modders on the limitation's of the html file later.

(May even make a tool to generate the file(to be newb friendly lol)not sure atm..)

anywyas im tired and in 5 hours ill of been up 24 hours... im going to head to bed now lol and try and get a releasable version of this done tomorrow

February 8, 2011 12:29:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hope you get some rest!

When you get a chance, more info on how all this works would be helpful.  Specifically, I assume this checks "Somewhere" for the latest file versions to download.  Where is that stuff going to be hosted/do we have options?

February 8, 2011 9:38:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I decided to eliminate the use of html because I don't want people getting hacked (ie someone using a browser vulnerability to infect there pc) and decided to just make a lil GUI that will access text file with all the info..and display it like so:

above the "info" box you will be able to have a image for the mod displayed

February 8, 2011 9:41:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I decided to eliminate the use of html because I don't want people getting hacked (ie someone using a browser vulnerability to infect there pc) and decided to just make a lil GUI that will access text file with all the info..and display it like so:

that sounds like a good idea. 

February 10, 2011 12:40:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am sure pacov could get in touch with the frog man and perhaps we could get this thing rigged into a Stardock server. Stardock is willing to support DG so this shouldn't be that big of a deal.

February 10, 2011 12:59:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you can find a way to read downloads from a Google Code project page, that'd be a very convenient and safe way for mod authors to update their mods individually, without having to rely on a moderator to approve each update.

Either have it look at each mod project's download page for a specific label, or use a central project for the mod manager and give each mod author contributor rights to the project so they can upload files, labeled for their project.

February 11, 2011 1:16:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

All mods will be updated via FTP and every modder will have access to the FTP with only rights to the mods they have made...

February 11, 2011 1:56:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's fine in theory, but do you actually have an FTP server available for this purpose, and bandwidth to burn on it?

February 11, 2011 2:44:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yup colocated server with a unmetered 100mbps connection

February 11, 2011 10:35:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

He gave me a brief overview of his system.  Sounds pretty viable.  You launch his program (consider it a front end for dg).  It checks for the latest mods and can display news etc (like tournament on X/X/XX or whatever news we deemed appropriate) and then you can launch demigod directly from the front end. 

Could be quite a useful tool... and I could "MAKE" it a required download if we only published mod updates through it (eg if you want uberfix 1.04, you must download it from this program). 

February 11, 2011 11:56:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

uberfix is going to be automaticly updated/downloaded and installed its a priority so there will be no need for demanding people to download it through my launcher they wont be able to stop it from being downloaded/installed unless they dont use my launcher and so will other important mods anything deamed necessary for demigod to function properly will automaticly be installed/update to the lastest version ..

February 11, 2011 1:57:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

well... please clarify - when you say "installed" do you mean that it will be enabled in the mod manager or just installed.  Its an important distinction.  I assume you mean just installed (which is what we want). 

February 12, 2011 1:33:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it will be installed and enabled

February 13, 2011 10:55:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm looking for 2 tester's!

One with :

Windows Vista 32bit/64bit (doesn't matter)

One with :

Windows 7 32bit/64bit (doesn't matter)

Credit will be given to those that help before I release the first version (today if nothing goes wrong its completely finished aside from the news section)

February 13, 2011 12:30:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can we make it so that it would not be enabled by default?  For instance, we wouldn't want favormod enabled 100% of the time as its a specialty game.  We wouldn't even want uberfix or the enhanced ai mod enabled 100% of the time either.  The reason is that folks without these mods won't be able to join games hosted by the folks with the mods enabled - and we won't have a 100% adoption rate using your launcher.  I can get us a 100% adoption rate for anyone that participates in the upcoming tournaments, but that's about it. 

Also, are you really sure that your program enables the mods by default?  A quick test would be to disable whatever mod your are talking about in the mod manager.  Then delete the mod.  Then run your launcher and verify that it is now showing up as enabled in the mod manager. 

If you actually have any flexibility, I'd say enable the enhanced ui mod by default and all other mods should be disabled by default.

I can test for you in windows 7 64.

February 13, 2011 1:26:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG_pacov,

Can we make it so that it would not be enabled by default?  For instance, we wouldn't want favormod enabled 100% of the time as its a specialty game.  We wouldn't even want uberfix or the enhanced ai mod enabled 100% of the time either.  The reason is that folks without these mods won't be able to join games hosted by the folks with the mods enabled - and we won't have a 100% adoption rate using your launcher.  I can get us a 100% adoption rate for anyone that participates in the upcoming tournaments, but that's about it. 

Also, are you really sure that your program enables the mods by default?  A quick test would be to disable whatever mod your are talking about in the mod manager.  Then delete the mod.  Then run your launcher and verify that it is now showing up as enabled in the mod manager. 

If you actually have any flexibility, I'd say enable the enhanced ui mod by default and all other mods should be disabled by default.

I can test for you in windows 7 64.

You able to get on ventrilo?

@ the above quote:

I'll do that I guess till by some mirracle we can get stardock to impliment this into demigod..and by default all mods that are downloaded and installed by my launcher...are disabled.. as for mods previously installed on the system thats up to the  user's computers settings...but in my "Installed Mods" tab it shows if they are enabled/disabled and you can enable/disable them...

February 13, 2011 1:43:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll do that I guess till by some mirracle we can get stardock to impliment this into demigod..and by default all mods that are downloaded and installed by my launcher...are disabled.. as for mods previously installed on the system thats up to the user's computers settings...but in my "Installed Mods" tab it shows if they are enabled/disabled and you can enable/disable them...

Well... the initial goal is not to have SD integrate your installer.  The goal is to make it a requirement such that anyone wanting access to the newest mods to use this program... and that goal is easily accomplished by only making the latest mods available only through your installer.  That, combined with the tournaments I'll be running, we'll see a decent adoption rate.  We've already seen a pretty large increase in folks using my combined install package as its required for the tournaments. 

February 13, 2011 5:10:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I do not like the idea of only making the UberFix installable through a third party program, sorry.  That will not happen.  I'll happily support this program, but will not require it.

February 13, 2011 7:17:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol i so just noticed something i should of noticed a long time ago "enabled =" in the mod_info.lua does not change if the mod is enabled/disabled it only hides/shows it in the ingame mod manager.... lol ive looked all over my registry can't find where mods are  truely enabled/disabled...I'm tired and ill figure this out when i wake up...going to sleep now....I'd imagine somewhere the UID's for mods are stored somewhere  with a boolean value....

February 13, 2011 8:12:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You'd be correct: they're at the bottom of My Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\Demigod\game.prefs in a table called active_mods, keyed by UID.

February 13, 2011 9:02:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yea thanks cowbuttzex(on ventrilo with him and some other peopl) beat you to it though thanks wooo I can almost gaurantee a public release by tomorrow ...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000859   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.