The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

I didn't want to play any Ubisoft games anyway

By on February 17, 2010 8:14:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental ForumsExternal Link

This has to be a new standard for stupid DRM. If at any point you don't have an Internet connection, the game will kick you out, and lose your progress since the last save. Have a drop for 2 seconds? Sorry, start over. Router problems? Get lost. Want to play your single player game in a spot that doesn't have constant Internet?

Ubisoft doesn't want you as a customer.

+76 Karma | 27 Replies
February 17, 2010 8:42:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agreed.

February 17, 2010 9:02:27 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Steam forums are going off too on this one. Could go down as the most pirated game in history when all is said and done. Ubisoft might as well have had you have to come to their office to have to play it. At least then you could slap the shit out of the management everytime the server hiccuped.

February 17, 2010 9:08:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I start to sympathize more with the pirates every time I hear this. If I accidently bought one of these games, I'd probably turn around pirate it because being forced to play a single player game online is senselessly annoying.

February 17, 2010 9:18:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They scared me away the moment they required an internet connection to play (I really don't like being forced online without a good reason). This only makes things worse.

The game crashes because the internet was interupted for like 2 sec? Current game progress lost? This is definately not the games for me.

February 17, 2010 9:43:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ubisoft might as well have had you have to come to their office to have to play it. At least then you could slap the shit out of the management everytime the server hiccuped.

Ha! That would be awesome. [Slap] I can dream [slap]

The other problem I see is wireless connectivity. Most of the time it's fine and reconnects. Now imagine that happens during your game, before you save. Oops!

Bad bad bad idea. This is worse than TAGES. When will the DRM insanity end?

February 17, 2010 10:54:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ubisoft FTW!

Without idiots like this, it would take them years to get to the breaking point and piss everyone off.

February 17, 2010 11:14:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bad bad bad idea. This is worse than TAGES. When will the DRM insanity end?

Year 2012?

February 17, 2010 11:17:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This will be the most easily circumvented DRM in recent years. Their validation servers will be DDoSed, causing the company to release the failsafe they've already made to allow the game to play without an internet connection.

February 17, 2010 11:50:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DethAdder,
Steam forums are going off too on this one. Could go down as the most pirated game in history when all is said and done. Ubisoft might as well have had you have to come to their office to have to play it. At least then you could slap the shit out of the management everytime the server hiccuped.

QFT, wheres my baby powder?

February 18, 2010 12:45:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I sure hope that, after Ubi seems to have tried thier hardest to fk me over - they get fked over in return.

February 18, 2010 1:14:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DeCypher00,
DDoSed

My thoughts exactly. This will easily be the last Assassin's Creed PC title released; they'll blame the lack of sales on Piracy, and make the third one console exclusive as a result. Pitty.

February 18, 2010 1:33:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ubisoft = turdburger

February 18, 2010 2:06:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow - People who aren't interested in pirating might just decide it is time to learn how to pirate games with silly stuff like this happening.

February 18, 2010 2:42:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Normally I say if you don't like it, don't buy it. In this case, I say pirate the hell out of all of their games and flaunt it. I don't care what the other developers and publishers say. If you have this much disdain for the industry you work in and your own customers, you deserve it.

February 18, 2010 4:16:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DeCypher00,
This will be the most easily circumvented DRM in recent years. Their validation servers will be DDoSed, causing the company to release the failsafe they've already made to allow the game to play without an internet connection.

So simple yet effective. After buying the game and not being able to have it authenticate in a reliable way, I return it to the store with a storm cloud over my head. The other thing is what kind of addition to their internet will this cost? I don't know much about the internet, but I assume it will be from each pc little packets, maybe every few seconds. On top of patches, would this add up making the next title more expensive to cover the costs?

It will be interesting to see what happens.

February 18, 2010 6:27:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So, if Ubisofts servers are down, you'll also be unable to play their games? Nice...

February 18, 2010 7:04:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm glad that I don't work for Ubisoft. Also, they should pay me for playing their games. My time is valuable to me and I don't like to waste it with stupid DRM.

February 18, 2010 7:54:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What a crap. They really are desperate.

But hey it is very easy to cirumvent. Dont buy shit like that.

February 18, 2010 9:50:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It should be against the law to force somebody to use the internet to play a single player game.

Single means alone.

Internet is anything but a reference to being alone.

Oh well I never really like UBIsoft anyway.

February 19, 2010 8:56:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agreed.  No more Ubisoft games for me.  Period. 

February 19, 2010 9:55:21 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Off to Pirate Bay! By, the way, Ubisoft is following Infinity Ward and making Assassin's Creed II $60.

February 19, 2010 10:04:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

torrent time >.>

February 19, 2010 10:10:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

With policies like these, I am not buying Ubisoft games.  Period.

February 19, 2010 10:19:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Solam,
It should be against the law to force somebody to use the internet to play a single player game.

Single means alone.

I don't know about that. However, some should slap them with a lawsuit for false advertising if they claim to be
"selling you a game" when all they're doing is renting you access to their game servers.

Stardock has the right model, they make me want to be a customer. Ubisoft and EA make me wish I was a pirate.

February 19, 2010 10:26:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Rishkith,

Quoting Solam, reply 19It should be against the law to force somebody to use the internet to play a single player game.

Single means alone.

I don't know about that. However, some should slap them with a lawsuit for false advertising if they claim to be
"selling you a game" when all they're doing is renting you access to their game servers.

Stardock has the right model, they make me want to be a customer. Ubisoft and EA make me wish I was a pirate.
argh join us!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.