The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The iPad. Who names these things?

By on January 27, 2010 4:32:55 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Short answer: Yes. I’m going to get one.

Why? Well, for me, two main reasons.

One, I currently use my iPhone to browse the net in the evening and its tiny screen is a bit of a bummer at times. I have my beloved ThinkPad T400 but it is a bit too heavy to just have sitting on my lap to surf the net and its form factor doesn’t lend itself to reading.

Two, I use my iPhone for watching movies while I work out and it’s small screen is annoying for that. I don’t use the laptop because, again, the form factor doesn’t let me easily put it up on things.

I kind of feel bad for people who bought the Kindle. This thing will kill that.

I am quite bummed it doesn’t have a camera. I could imagine this thing being super useful for Skype video chatting but oh well.

+891 Karma | 52 Replies
January 28, 2010 6:30:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Have fun not multitasking, not using flash, getting adapters for USB's, no widescreen support etc.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad

Waste of $$$ if you ask me...

January 28, 2010 7:02:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I personally I think it is pretty damn cool.     I have been a Verizonwireless person forever, but I got a iPod Touch this year and I LOVE it.  And if Verizon doesn't get the iPhone by the time my contract is up, which is next fall I am going to change carriers.    I want a iPhone.  Just NO comparison ... I have a Dare right now and I really don't like it at all.  As matter of fact they don't even make it anymore.  So ... now my little iPod has grown up.... into a iPad...(also get off the name)...There are things like ... Launch pads...legal pads..knee pads, and ect.  You guys are just bad...   But I will wait a while and see if the prices go down some, but I diffentally  will upgrade.  I have become a iFan.... 

January 28, 2010 8:22:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

(also get off the name)...There are things like ... Launch pads...legal pads..knee pads

The pad thing's niether here nor there for me. Just had iNough of tired branding formats like this one...

January 28, 2010 9:03:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

yEp. i'M sIck oF iT tOo. 

January 28, 2010 9:41:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The good people over at Apple are so pretentious I just want to kick their teeth in with steel toed boots. 

January 29, 2010 10:15:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

MadTV from 5 years ago.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs

January 29, 2010 10:24:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

saw it yesterday...and decided to enter the FreakingNews competition...lol.

January 31, 2010 9:44:58 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

the ipad is a joke. It is a solution in search of a problem. It fails miserably as an eBook reader due to having a screen that is not made of passive epaper (with the resulting days of battery and ease of reading), it fails as an ebook reader because of its format lock compared to everyone else, it fails as an ebook reader due to its exhubrant cost, and it fails as an ebook reader because you don't use color to read books. Black and white text only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper

As a tablet it fails due to being the most underpowered and HDD space limited tabled on the market... and its still too expensive.

Basically it is a hybrid between different devices that actually serve a purpose, that costs too much and provides inferior performance in each and every aspect.

February 1, 2010 10:46:51 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting messiah1,
MadTV from 5 years ago.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs

I did not realize when I viewed the video it was that old!  Talk about Prophetic!

February 1, 2010 11:33:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Dr Guy,
Quoting messiah1, reply 31MadTV from 5 years ago.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs

I did not realize when I viewed the video it was that old!  Talk about Prophetic!

As Jafo would say,   ...Profitic.

February 1, 2010 8:57:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This is gonna cause of lot of confusion in Boston.

<not my line, but the best one I heard >

February 1, 2010 9:07:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

and it fails as an ebook reader because you don't use color to read books. Black and white text only.

I disagree with this one. If you're reading textbooks, magazines, the front page of a newspaper, or those sorts of things, color is nice. The Kindle DX was designed with textbooks in mind, but you really need color for a lot of modern textbooks. The iPad still fails as an ebook reader, but not because of color.

February 1, 2010 9:54:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting c242,
Although I own an iPhone and I love it in terms of usibility, there is one thing that really gets me up everytime and that will be the same for this oversized version of the iPhone : NO multitasking. That is a no-go even more for a bigger device.

MultiTasking, The Main reason why I have a BlackBerry over the 'iStatus'

February 1, 2010 10:26:32 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I disagree with this one. If you're reading textbooks, magazines, the front page of a newspaper, or those sorts of things, color is nice. The Kindle DX was designed with textbooks in mind, but you really need color for a lot of modern textbooks. The iPad still fails as an ebook reader, but not because of color.

Point, but its not as big a "feature" as apple makes it out to be. not when it comes at the cost of the loss of epaper eye comfort and battery life.

February 14, 2010 10:18:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Wow, I just realised; I still have a I-Snack 2.0 jar... People's minds are warped... Or is it just mine?

February 15, 2010 12:59:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

what a trendwhore. lol

February 15, 2010 4:07:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just a thought... what the fug does the I in Iphone, Ipod, Ipad, etc, mean? 

February 15, 2010 4:21:03 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting pacov,

iProducts for iDiots

February 15, 2010 1:42:37 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

it is an essential part of the "reality distortion field" (google it)

February 15, 2010 2:31:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting taltamir,
it is an essential part of the "reality distortion field" (google it)

Pointy hair is powerful even when you only have it on the inside. Dilbert's boss came back from hell this week...

February 15, 2010 7:57:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting TheDarkKnight2008,

Quoting pacov,
reply 42

iProducts for iDiots

Got it in one ....

February 15, 2010 8:28:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The iSlab looks interesting

February 15, 2010 9:06:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The iMonolith was responsible for our "Evolution".

February 15, 2010 10:42:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

As this topic shows, people like to make jokes about the iTampon more then use it.

February 15, 2010 11:32:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting TheDarkKnight2008,
As this topic shows, people like to make jokes about the iTampon more then use it.

Yea, I kind of wonder how many sales they are actually getting beyond the "I'll buy anything with an i in front of it" crowd.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.