The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

I just want to complain (Frogboy read please)

By on December 19, 2009 3:44:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demigod IMO is the leader of its genre. 

Compared to LoL, HoN, DoTa...it plays better, looks better, and has a better community.  I even find LoL to be very addicting and fun, so Im not comparing DG to games I dont like for illustration. 

Due to the horrid release, our playerbase started small and has only gotten smaller. 

As a direct result of this small playerbase and from what I can tell is a subpar p2p system (im not computer savvy guys, I just  know that the other games of the genre all have DG beat in this regard, even though stardock pulled out their lategame win with their new system they had to write at release), starting a game, or playing all the games you want during your day is very, very difficult.  Id like to point out here that if your main problem is you cant play the game enough as youd like, well thats the problem to have.

Im no marketing major, though I do have an MBA from a top 20 school.  I dont think you can revitalize a game once its release is boogered.  What it needs is a SEQUEL.  Warcraft 2 anyone? (all the nerds here may remember the worldchanger this one was compared to its predecessor).

Other, subpar games of the genre have huge playerbases.  You can play all day and not see the same people.

Frog.  Stardock needs to buy the rights to the DG franchise, bust out a DG2, and REALLY put out the leader of the genre that DG could have been.  I have no doubt you chaps can do it -  Im a fan of SD what can I say. 

This email was inspired by the small amount of games I played today vs the amount I would have liked to play. 

+2 Karma | 20 Replies
December 19, 2009 6:18:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

AGREED!  ...across the board, ... but hey, if SD goes public with an IPO, I'll already know my investment of the year... DG2... just think of the possibilities...

December 19, 2009 6:24:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agreed, I'd buy 2 copies.

December 19, 2009 6:58:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First, they should fix some bugs that are still here and there.

Then, add a some more content (or make an expansion)

And THEN, make a sequel.

But meh, I would buy it anyway.

December 19, 2009 7:30:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd say expansion first, that might b ea big enough break from the game's reputation to work.

December 19, 2009 8:18:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Especially if it was a stand-alone expansion.

December 19, 2009 8:47:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

guess the bad start was one of the reasons why many online gamers stood away from it. the guys who play offline anyway didnt even notice it and just bought it. i mean ok that stardock report is true but come on... 23%?? really? its a multiplayer game and only 23% play it online? how is it with other multiplayer games like the many strategy games? also only such a small amount? but anyway these 23% keep the game alive long term and not the other 77%. would anyone still talk about starcraft without that online community?

December 19, 2009 8:54:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm not sure how many of the major bugs could be fixed without some substantial reworkings. I would think that a Demigod 2 would be the best route. Fix the pathfinding, netcode, and exploits. Allow players to adjust the lag from 350 ms if playing on a LAN. I'd buy DG 2 if it had all of these things worked out.

December 19, 2009 8:57:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A few years back there was a great game called Dawnspire.

Dawnspire was quite a great game, quite similar to demigod even if you remove the reinforcements. The point is that it had a big community for an indie game with no marketing.

What dawnspire did right was that they had a very generous Trial version of the game. It included

• 4 out of 6 classes
  • All maps
  • Unlimited playtime
  • 12 out of 13 abilities for each class
  • 3 character slots
  • No Guilds

So basically what they did was give you a free game!

Then once you had found out it was really nice you started to want the rest of it. those 2 other classes, guildfights and that extra ability. So I bought the game!

Being an indie game it wasnt expensive either, Silent Grove Studios (the makers of the game) also made some bucks from selling extra character slots, which I also spent money on in order to keep one of each class ready at any time.

So the point that Im trying to make. There is a really nice way to get a big community, which can then be made into actual benefit for the company by just making a really good trial.

When the demigod demo was released my hopes was that the demo would use the same servers as the normal game. allowing Demo users to fill our dwindling Retail games. When this wasnt the case, the demo activity and usefullness dropped to 0 quite fast. I barely see more then 2 people in the demo channel these days, 1 of them is me.

So my reccomendations for Demigods future!

• Remake the demo into a full game Trial.
  • Allow the Trialers to play on the same servers as the rest of us
  • Limit them to 4 or 6 of the demigods
  • Change the stardock splashscreen at startup to one offering the trialers to "upgrade" their trial game to full game for 10 dollars or whatever is fit.
  • Start releasing DLC!

Everyone tries a free game they think they may like! Even the ones that may even have tried it before but didnt like it then.

Allowing a big partion of the game to be free like this means you will get a massive community buildup. And once a community is big enough, DLC will become a major income source!

So now you can start producing DLC, sell new demigods for 2.99 dollars each and whoops you suddenly got a guy who didnt want to pay for the game, paying you not only 10 dollars to unlock the retail heroes but probably also 2.99 dollars for any new demigod you release. Demigod would become something that could produce more money for you the better you made it, Its a developers dream!

If you do this thing about a free trial Im quite sure that not only will the public think much higher of Demigod, but you may actually be able to turn it from a slowly dying game, into a game that just keeps gaining players as it gets better and better!

If this isnt done, I really dont see any way to turn the trend exept for releasing an Expansion, something I doubt will ever happen.

So just wanna end with a hypothetical scenario.

Imagine we are about 1000 players playing demigod during sometime of the weeks atm.

Releasing a free trial would (if announced well on gaming sites etc) def increase the amount by at least 5000!, that is 5000 people who will most likely spend the 15 dollars to get the full game in atleast a month, And even if they dont, they provide "cannon fodder" for the guys that actually payed! ensuing there will always be a game they can join that fits them, Meaning they are much more likely to keep playing the game, which means they will most certainly buy any DLC you release!

December 19, 2009 9:43:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ya sevenix thats what LoL is doing. I dont know how profitable its been for them though.  anyone know>?

December 20, 2009 1:36:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The thing that killed DG before it even got going was whoever's boneheaded decision it was to go P2P as the way to play a multiplayer game. As expected, that created tons of headaches and discouraged many of the potential player base. Many of them do a "proxy" connect now, but it's more like a bandaid solution to a flawed concept. A shame, because I too like DG and am sorry it turned out the way it did.

December 20, 2009 5:06:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What Sevenix says is a good idea I think. JUst moving the demo to our servers would help, as it is today it's just stupid.

December 20, 2009 11:35:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting xclavex,
The thing that killed DG before it even got going was whoever's boneheaded decision it was to go P2P as the way to play a multiplayer game. As expected, that created tons of headaches and discouraged many of the potential player base. Many of them do a "proxy" connect now, but it's more like a bandaid solution to a flawed concept. A shame, because I too like DG and am sorry it turned out the way it did.

Yeah Client Server would make the game butter. 

December 20, 2009 3:17:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Im no marketing major, though I do have an MBA from a top 20 school.  I dont think you can revitalize a game once its release is boogered.[/quote]
This. Once you are out, you are out.

What it needs is a SEQUEL.
Actually, that would probably be very counter-productive. If they released a sequel before the current game is fixed, then it would make them look very bad. Making a sequel too soon would look like (and is) a money grabbing move.[quote who="Jdub121686" reply="12" id="2481770"]
Quoting xclavex, reply 10The thing that killed DG before it even got going was whoever's boneheaded decision it was to go P2P as the way to play a multiplayer game. As expected, that created tons of headaches and discouraged many of the potential player base. Many of them do a "proxy" connect now, but it's more like a bandaid solution to a flawed concept. A shame, because I too like DG and am sorry it turned out the way it did.

Yeah Client Server would make the game butter. 

P2P was not the problem, but rather how they implemented it. A client-server system runned by dedicated servers would cost a lot of money and would not be fit for an RTS. A listen server system would probably be even worst.
What Sevenix says is a good idea I think. JUst moving the demo to our servers would help, as it is today it's just stupid.

I agree too. The PC community is moving away from the old tried-and-true formula.

December 20, 2009 3:25:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't fully agree with you guys on some of these points.

While I do think Demigod is the most fun of its genre, the MP features of LoL and HoN are far superior to what is in Demigod.  I find both games a lot easier to get up and into a game than Demigod. I just wish those games had the game mechanics and polish of Demigod but then again, financially, I'm glad Demigod has the polish and gameplay advantage since obviously I have a vested interest in Demigod's continued success.

It is important to remember that while Stardock publishes Demigod, we didn't program it.  We sell Demigod. We also sell LoL and will hopefully sell HoN when it comes out. 

Peer-to-Peer is the way most RTS type games are done. In fact, other than Stardock's other MP games, I think most strategy games use the P2P model.  The problem with Demigod's online play is that it is very  network intensive for a P2P game which tends to excaberate the weaknesses of P2P.

I occasionally play 5 on 5 games with Demigod and it works pretty well as long as you get people with <150ms latency which can be tricky.  

C&C, Starcraft, Dota, etc. are all peer-to-peer btw.

Personally, I loathe peer-to-peer. Always have as many long time players (and beta testers know).  But I also understand why GPG chose to do it that way. 

There's nothing inherently wrong with P2P. I just don't like being at the mercy of a guy with a bad connection. But on the other hand, it would be really difficult to have made Demigod Client/server and have it be "fair". The guy with the best connection would have such an advantage in client/server.  

Sorry to ramble. Just a few thoughts speaking just for myself.

December 20, 2009 4:57:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Sorry to ramble. Just a few thoughts speaking just for myself.

I like that you ramble, not many CEO's do that.

December 20, 2009 10:43:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pretty much my sentiments Frogboy, but I gotta say the idea of SC and WC3 (dota) being p2p is confusing to me, becuase honestly I played those on dialup and they worked great, even when I split a dialup connection on WC3. I just don't understand why DG requires so much more bandwidth.

That being said, once a game is up and running it blows the competitors out of the water. I'm curious about what you guys can do to facilitate that process via impulse.

December 21, 2009 4:48:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pretty much my sentiments Frogboy, but I gotta say the idea of SC and WC3 (dota) being p2p is confusing to me, becuase honestly I played those on dialup and they worked great, even when I split a dialup connection on WC3. I just don't understand why DG requires so much more bandwidth.

And I could multitask fine on my 512K Amiga.

You'd have to ask GPG on the specifics of their network code.

From what I've been told, however, it has to do with the lower tolerance on timing.  If you remember in SC and WC3, you don't actually have real-time effects.  People shoot but you don't seen projectiles. You don't see each piece of damage happening.

Instead, in WC or SC you'd have units sitting there doing their thing and slowly HP is being lost.

By contrast, in Demigod, even the little arrows shot from the Rook are being tracked in real-time.

I remember in Sins of a Solar Empire people wanted the ships to have turrets but Ironclad rejected it on the basis that it would dramatically increase the requirements for multiplayer as well as greatly increase the HW requirements in general.  

December 21, 2009 5:30:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

really appreciate you popping in and posting frogboy

December 21, 2009 5:43:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And I could multitask fine on my 512K Amiga.
I see what you're getting at here, but I think that particular increase in complexity is more apparent than the increase in bandwidth from one game to the next. For example does going from a quake 1 death match to a quake 3 match require all that much more data? Will an FPS several generations from now require as much bandwidth as Left 4 Dead with its swarms of zombies the players have to be aware of?

It doesn't seem at first glance like DG has more occuring than a dota game did, but this next point is pretty interesting, I hadn't thought about it:

From what I've been told, however, it has to do with the lower tolerance on timing.  If you remember in SC and WC3, you don't actually have real-time effects.  People shoot but you don't seen projectiles. You don't see each piece of damage happening.
You really see it in games like WoW and DG when you teleport without crossing a zone line and a mid-air projectile will follow you and the damage won't occur until it connects. That definitely didn't happen in Starcraft/WC3. I'm also curious how much extra stress the levels being 3d objects causes.

December 21, 2009 7:43:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The main problem of the P2P here is not the huge amount of traffic generated, or anything like that, although those are problematic. The main issue is the current configuration on how to resolve bad connections. Rather than checking for each connection between each player, the system just axes the game completely, and declares it invalid. Unless it declares the dropping player the winner.

Why doesn't it declare the war rank leader team the winner? Why does it have a three minute concede limit to discount a game, if a single minute would suffice? People just die and concede, and it's really boring.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.