The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

What type of net connection do you need?

By on December 17, 2009 5:10:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

arunodayt

Join Date 07/2009
+11

I just saw the 75% off deal worldwide for Demigod. I am not experienced in the multiplayer arena, so I thought I would ask a few questions before buying the game:

-I rarely play multiplayer games, but this game is all about multiplayer, right?

-What kind of connection and ping do I need to play the game online? I have a 256 kbps connection, but I doubt if I will get pings less than 200, maybe even more. Can the game be played comfortably with 200-250 pings?

-Can Demigod be downloaded using Impulse Anywhere like GalCiv2 Ultimate? That is a really convenient way of doing it.

The deal is time limited so please respond soon

EDIT: I forgot to add that I love RPG games.

Locked Post 19 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 17, 2009 5:24:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You need about 25 kbsp per player so the minimum upload bandwidth for a 3v3 is 125 kbps, but it should be well above that. In your case 4v4 may still work. On the ping side: as long as your connection to every player is stable and the ping is under 350 ms, it should be fine.

December 17, 2009 8:48:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the info

December 17, 2009 8:53:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The important part is upload!!!!  This is what most people fail to realize.  What is you upload bandwith????

December 17, 2009 9:05:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have a 256 kbps connection

If you're on 256k DSL, it is very unlikely you have enough upload bandwidth, as that will usually be considerably less than your download bandwidth.

December 17, 2009 9:15:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

True, I thought he meant upload bandwidth there. @arunodayt: is this actually your upload or download bandwidth?

December 17, 2009 9:35:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you don't know go to speedtest.net.

December 17, 2009 12:11:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I did the test and I have done it before - 0.26 mbps both upload and download. But I have to say that I can get consistently only about 192 kbps both sides.

Anyway, I am going ahead and buying it. Even if my multiplayer experience is bad, which has a 50% probability IMO because of my distance from the servers, surely the game will be worth $7.5? I love both RTS and RPG, so I don't think I will regret it

December 17, 2009 12:23:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting arunodayt,
I did the test and I have done it before - 0.26 mbps both upload and download. But I have to say that I can get consistently only about 192 kbps both sides.

Anyway, I am going ahead and buying it. Even if my multiplayer experience is bad, which has a 50% probability IMO because of my distance from the servers, surely the game will be worth $7.5? I love both RTS and RPG, so I don't think I will regret it

Since it is symetric dl/ul, you may be alright even with the low speed.  The problem is most people have asymetric, like me who has 20Mbp/s dl and .36Mbp/s ul.  Most people think their connection is symetric.  GL, the game is pretty damn addictive and an incredible value at $7.50, best game that I have bought in 5+ years, but obviously tastes vary. 

December 17, 2009 1:07:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm at the farthest point DSL is available, supposed to have a 768 dsl.  My speakeasy test showed 527 DL and 249 upload.  I can play 3v3 just fine.  Over 6 players is usually unplayable.  Good luck, you'll love the game.

December 17, 2009 1:31:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks all! Game has been bought and is being downloaded - I love Christmas even though I don't celebrate it. Winter holidays, with cheap yet high quality games. Plus, sleeping is a lot of fun too

Now I just have to wait while the game is downloaded using Impulse Anywhere. In the meantime, Cheers!

December 17, 2009 1:52:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting arunodayt,
Thanks all! Game has been bought and is being downloaded - I love Christmas even though I don't celebrate it. Winter holidays, with cheap yet high quality games. Plus, sleeping is a lot of fun too

Now I just have to wait while the game is downloaded using Impulse Anywhere. In the meantime, Cheers!

Why not just use impulse???  It is pretty good and makes updating easy.

December 17, 2009 2:46:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am about to upgrade my PC and I don't trust the archive function of Impulse. The download from Impulse Anywhere is immune to it. Also, once installed, you can use it with Impulse as you would any game

Unfortunately, there is some problem with the Impulse Anywhere source file right now

December 18, 2009 4:55:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can use Impulse Anywhere any time you want too. There is no reason not to use Impulse itself for downloading the game.

December 18, 2009 5:06:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am downloading it using the Impulse client - Anywhere had some problem with its "source file".

I had to hunt down the myriad hidden folders and clean them up to free enough space on my C drive. When I downloaded GC2 ultimate using the client, it absolutely bombed because of a lack of space on the C drive, even though I had set manual folders for both archives and cache. Soon after, I began getting "Cyclic Redundancy Error" and had to reinstall the OS - not Impulse's falut, of course, but still enough to make it tempting to try Anywhere at least once

December 19, 2009 10:16:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My worst fears came true (about downloading). See this link for why:

http://forums.impulsedriven.com/372033

Maybe somebody can help me avoid downloading the game again

December 23, 2009 7:11:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Need some help

My download spd is up 10mbs and my upload spd is up to 1mbs currently using wireless connection.

should i choose a isp which has a better upload spd?

any diff between upload and d/l?

December 23, 2009 8:44:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, 10 mbit down and 1 mbit up is pretty good.

December 23, 2009 9:58:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow, worried about 1mbps upload speed!

December 24, 2009 3:22:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

u mean?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time: