The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Forum games

This is a complaint about the forum games

By on December 14, 2009 2:03:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As of the time of writing, 5/10 of the "recent posts" on the elemental forums frontpage (http://forums.elementalgame.com/) is forum games.

This seems to me to be excessive. Can we get them out of the recent posts list somehow?

+2 Karma | 16 Replies
December 14, 2009 7:28:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Can we get them out of the recent posts list somehow?

Yes, it's easy.

Simply comment on an alternate thread of interest and it will become 'recent'.

If, however, the majority of people are interested in or prefer those threads/topics then they will tend to be on top of the list more frequently...

December 14, 2009 7:43:32 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

It would be nice if a person could just eliminate a rediculous thread or series of inane threads from their preferences.

December 14, 2009 8:13:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I agree that a forum filter would be really nice

December 14, 2009 8:24:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

banned for agreeing to a good idea.

December 14, 2009 8:29:22 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Anthony R,
It would be nice if a person could just eliminate a rediculous thread or series of inane threads from their preferences.

December 14, 2009 9:26:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Anthony R,

Yes like complaining about people having fun on a game site.

December 14, 2009 9:40:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting mrlarone,
banned for agreeing to a good idea.

banned for agreeing to agree with this good idea

though you know you love the game Mr. Larone

December 14, 2009 10:19:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I would give you karma but.....your Elemental game post are clogging up my Sins of a Solar Empire site.

December 14, 2009 10:20:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

people having fun on a game site.

Is that even legal?

December 14, 2009 10:22:26 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

people having fun on a game site.

Is that even legal?

the op doesn't think so

December 14, 2009 12:17:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

to be fair, the way stardock sites are structured/managed these posts are shown not only on the demigod/soase/elemental pages but also on the pages desktop apps that they make. i can name them... really (Object dock/fences/deskscapes!)

it's really two seperate communities and it is a bit mean to say they have to share the same space...

yes i enjoy the games, but that's because i'm a gamer. i also enjoy the fact that different groups mingle on these pages as they lead to interesting debates...

i also get fed up sometime when i go to one site for info on that topic and it's flooded with off topic games and debates, though i'll happily partake in those when in the mood.

a filltering system is really not that bad an idea... though maybe not top priority when compared to other forum issues *tounge in cheek*

at the end of the day i realise recent topics are recent topics and if it's a slow news day now again i understand that people will lark about.

MrL

December 14, 2009 12:59:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mrlarone,
... it's really two seperate communities and it is a bit mean to say they have to share the same space... 

More than two, really. Just amongst us gamers there are small groups with some pretty significant differences on the RTS/TBS divide (I'm one of those folks who think the term RTS is an oxymoron--clicking without time to think is tactical, not strategic), and I'm pretty sure that one of my favorite GalCiv2 posters will never be interested in Elemental on account of not liking the sword & sorcery genre.

I'm another regular who's patiently awaiting some ability to mark a thread as Ignored (along with wanting to watch threads without having to post in them). Manually ignoring works OK, though. Especially if you mostly look around via forum subcategories and use the Recent lists only as occasional alternatives.

December 14, 2009 6:17:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So you have to go an extra page into recent posts...i fail to see the problem here.  THere's never been more than a page and a half of posts from that day in all the...6? months i've been on here.  And i'm fairly regular i think.  I mean, the forums page is a quicktab for me.

December 14, 2009 6:47:03 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Instead of the home page, use the "more recent posts" link as the link in your favorites. For example, I don't use http://forums.galciv2.com/, I use http://forums.galciv2.com/recent. That gives you the 50 most recent posts, which is enough under almost any circumstances.

December 14, 2009 9:49:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the suggestion WIllythemailboy, makes sense.

December 15, 2009 2:32:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

WIllythemailboy really made a great suggestion there.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.