The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

FPS Genre: Is It Going Downhill?

Thoughts?

By on December 8, 2009 10:11:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

From what it looks like, FPS games seem to be going downhill. Many "modern" FPSes seem to be oriented around a very basic singleplayer campaign and "extensive" online multiplayer, where one is supposed to primarily play. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing necessarily, but I would prefer a more balanced approach between singleplayer campaign/"instant action" and LAN/online multiplayer.

Another trend that seems to be appearing is that FPSes are starting to become more and more of a "wreak wonton violence and destruction" and "kill everything in my way" games. I'm not saying that certain games that are like this are necessarily bad (sometimes it IS fun to kill everything in one's way or wreak wonton destruction upon the other players (or even the map)), but when that is the ONLY thing that EVERY (or almost every) game is based on, it is a problem.

On the flipside, other games, like action, adventure, RPG, RTS, 4X, etc. etc. seem to be getting more complex, deeper, more "open-ended" gameplay that immerses the player in multiple avenues of objective completion. As opposed to the "kill everything" approach of most mainstream FPS games.

Not all FPS games follow this pattern (older Battlefield titles, and others are an example; older Battlefield is also the golden age of EA you could say), but many modern and upcoming titles seem to be going this route more and more.

Thoughts?

+58 Karma | 64 Replies
December 8, 2009 11:34:10 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I think a few have been trying to add to the genre. Fallout 3 I thought put some good RPG elements in with FPS gameplay. A few games are kinda doing that now. Use to your only evolvement during the game was to get bigger guns. Which is fun too, I loved the Serious Sam games for that type of style. More open gameplay areas/options Kinda GTAlite style, like FarCry2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I found fun as well. Maybe it's just me, but I still find a lot of fun in even if the genre's improvements as a whole are slight.

December 9, 2009 12:05:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For the most part, online multiplayer is where it's at for FPS games where you play on stand-alone custom maps that aren't connected to other map areas.  One of the problems with having a long and extensive single player campaign is that producing all of those map areas with professional-grade quailty and fancy eye candy has to be expensive and time-consuming.  Thus, economically, it has to be better to just produce the game and its game play and weapons itself and let custom mappers create maps for online multiplayer.  (Some will create single player mini-campaign maps though.)

Have you played through some of the older FPS single player games?  Have you done the original Quake, Quake II, and Unreal games?  There were also expansions for those and perhaps some user-made single player mods.

Another trend that seems to be appearing is that FPSes are starting to become more and more of a "wreak wonton violence and destruction" and "kill everything in my way" games. I'm not saying that certain games that are like this are necessarily bad (sometimes it IS fun to kill everything in one's way or wreak wonton destruction upon the other players (or even the map)), but when that is the ONLY thing that EVERY (or almost every) game is based on, it is a problem.

On the flipside, other games, like action, adventure, RPG, RTS, 4X, etc. etc. seem to be getting more complex, deeper, more "open-ended" gameplay that immerses the player in multiple avenues of objective completion. As opposed to the "kill everything" approach of most mainstream FPS games.

Not all FPS games follow this pattern (older Battlefield titles, and others are an example; older Battlefield is also the golden age of EA you could say), but many modern and upcoming titles seem to be going this route more and more.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are...what the hell are you hoping to find in an FPS game?  I mean, the entire point is to shoot stuff.  Wreaking wanton violence and navigating chaos and killing everything is what it's all about!  There can be different game types such as capture-the-flag (which requires more thought than just mindless killing) or "control areas of the map and take territory" or "complete a certain objective" types of games, but they all boil down to shooting the other players.

That having been said...I agree with you that FPS is going downhill, but probably for different reasons.  FPS games tend to be big and expensive titles and today that means that they will also be released for consoles.  The problem is that on the PC they will end up as compromised console ports.  The console game playing crowd is also less discerning than the PC crowd allowing for a dumbing down of the games.  Also, we are seeing a greater focus on cluttered eyecandy and less on game play. 

I think that the biggest problems are that ID and Epic Games allowed arena-style run-and-gun FPS to die.  ID never released a real sequel to Quake III Arena and Epic Games pretty much consolized and as a result probably killed its Unreal Tournament franchise.

December 9, 2009 5:15:23 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

A brief history to give you some perspective:

FPS was a PC exclusive for a very long time, it wasn't until we started to get lots of interesting things happen in FPS that consoles started to be able to port the original FPSs like Doom and Wolfenstein 3D.  At around that time we started to get games like Thief, Rainbow 6, the SWAT series, Tribes, Battlefield, Unreal Tournament and many of us were playing leagues and tons and tons of Counter Strike.  FPS was creating sub genres.

In recent years though consoles have become so powerful that they begun having their own FPS, the first time that this blew the console market away was Halo with the release of the X-Box, an originally PC game bought out by Microsoft to sell the console.  A slightly above average FPS for any PC player but not very original.  It blew the lamen gamer away as they had never played anything like it before.  Since then there has been an almost rebirth of FPS because of the console owners going nuts over this genre they never really appreciated before.  And then within the last 3-4 years I would say consoles are evolving to online much more than they were before mostly because of FPS and how much fun it is online.  Much like FPS drove PC owners in to buying 56k modems to play Quake online.

So basically where FPS feel dumbed down it's because they are, they are going back in time (not technically, they do look absolutely great these days) and the only evolved FPS games are now a very niche market on the PC because it has very small returns compared to creating an FPS that can be sold on console platforms also.

Where is the next Planetstrike?  What happened to Thief?  What happened to the tactical shooter market such as Rainbow 6 and SWAT 3/4 (the biggest loss for PC gamers in my opinion)?  Rainbow 6 turned in to an on the rails shooter with cover system....wow.... SWAT 4 went to another on the rails console FPS.  It's all to cater for these new FPS hungry crowds who don't pirate games (as much) and buy games in massive quantities.

We still do have original FPS on PC it's just a lot closer to the original Quake formula, Left 4 Dead is basically a generic FPS with an awesome tagged on team play element.  STALKER is probably one of the most original these days in that it's much more open ended.

December 9, 2009 8:02:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Operation Flashpoint presented me with the light, the future of the 'fps' in 2001. Arma 2 is keeping that vision alive. (Games like the utter fail Dragon Rising don't help the image).

The console dumbed down (but still fun) gameplay FPSes like COD4 is the mainstream, you NEVER find the best in the main stream - so why look for it there?

December 9, 2009 8:42:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

To DirtySanchezz- I actually have Q2, but no others. What I look for in an FPS is something with a little depth where you have to think to some degree (Battlefield, even though marketed by EA, is a DICE game. EA just keeps trying to kill Battlefield, but I don't think they are succeeding.).

The "online MP" only games I rather despise, as even though there may be awesome online communities, I just really don't enjoy playing online that much. In fact, the sole reason I played the little BF2142 online that I did was to get unlocks to play with in LAN/SP games. And that was it.

I actually may have to suck it up and get a copy of STALKER to satisfy my FPS wants now. I still absolutely enjoy the Battlefield games I have (which are: BF1942:Complete, BFV+WW2 Mod, BF2142+Northern Strike) though.

December 9, 2009 10:39:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Indeed like explained the console market has dumbed down FPS in general. But on the PC market a few remarkable improvements have been made by Fallout 3 witch is an FPS and RPG mix with a close end.

But their is also STALKER with is open ended for the newest release call of prypiate. I would realy recomend that one.

But their might be hope for consoles as well with the comming of DUST 514 developed by CCP, producer fot eh MMORPG EVE-ONLINE. DUST 514 is said that it will connect with eve online and will have lasting results as people will battle for control fo planets so that Eve players can own them. It will in part become a new mechanic of Eve onlien where Dust 514 players will represent the army division of Eve's fleet Division. It will be Awesoem if they manage to pull it off like intended.

Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/user/CCPGAMES#p/c/FC7B99173F4DC31F/0/jzVjggarRns

December 9, 2009 12:25:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Whiskey144,
I actually may have to suck it up and get a copy of STALKER to satisfy my FPS wants now. I still absolutely enjoy the Battlefield games I have (which are: BF1942:Complete, BFV+WW2 Mod, BF2142+Northern Strike) though.

I'm interested in Stalker too though I don't know if I could get into a single player campaign FPS after having played online multiplayer FPS for so many years.  (It's like the difference between playing a basketball game and just shooting practice baskets; to me a good arena style online multiplayer FPS feels like you're playing in an intense cybersport and not just a game.)  GoGamer.com has been putting the Stalker games on sale for around $5 lately, I think, so I suggest looking there.

December 9, 2009 2:22:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I woudl personaly recomend the Stalker games. The vanila single player is good. But it gets even betetr with mods since the mods thend to enhance the strogn points fo the game such as the survivor aspect of it.

December 9, 2009 3:07:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Personally I think the FPS Genre has been going down hill for a long time now. People expect more from their games today then a simple "point and shoot" game but sadly that's what most of these games boil down to. On-line play is another thing these games try to use to carry the gaming experience and that simply doesn't cut it for  lot of players who mainly want a engrossing single player experience. Why do you think Halo has done so well? Because of the Awesome single player game. Multiplayer has always been a secondary but cool feature of the game. The online FPS games that do Online well are those that are designed to be played as a multiplayer experience from the start, like Unreal Tournament and America's Army.

Every now and then you get a FPS that really does add a lot to the Genre but then they start getting classified differently, like Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls and Deus X 2. These games mix in RPG elements and use a FPS view. Games like these and others that mix Genre's are the only ones bringing anything new to the table when it comes to FPS's. The FPS market needs to be taken back to the drawing board and re-envisioned from the ground up. For that to happen though people need to stop buying all these stupid FPS games so game devs will really take notice and come to terms with the fact that the Genre needs to be revitalized with a game of Quality.

If you haven't tried the latest Wolfenstein game you're missing out. I thought the single player campaign was a blast.

December 9, 2009 3:35:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have looked at UT3, as there is an awesome mod for it called "Angels Fall First:Planetstorm", that I am simply dying to try out (on the ground, in space, actually boarding an enemy capital ship and fighting inside it combat *drools*).

The main problem I really have with Stalker is the what I gather of the rating- M for blood and gore. I am really not into blood and gore (but sadly many people today want to see the grotesque and sickening elements of warfare in the games they play. Both disgusting and pitiable). I am not saying that some blood/gore is bad, but the over-the-top nature of some games with the intensity of violence done to an enemy player is just disgusting and sickening (not physically for me).

Probably the best point I can think of- my dad was watching TV one day, and saw the CoD:MW2 commercial. He remarked that he and several friends of his had talked about it and had said that one could get PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) from playing MW2, as it is so real looking (he is a US Marine who has done 2 tours in Iraq. So yes, he would know). Of course, the fact that MW2 also sucks for PC (and that I am not going to go and buy a '360 or PS3 to play it) also deters me from buying MW2.

UT3 and Stalker I could probably put up with as- UT3 has a variety of extremely interesting mods for it, and Stalker looks EXTREMELY interesting to me.

And now I must say something that many might disagree with- EA got it right (to a point) with the Battlefield series. Well, MOST of the series. Bad Company&BC2 I can make no comment on, having never played them. But the others I can rather soundly say are engaging, entertaining, fun games. For those unfamiliar with the Battlefield series, the premise of the game is this- capturing "control points". Generally, whichever team controls the highest # of CPs will win as the other teams "tickets", which are a pool of collective "lives" for that team, will "bleed" away. Tickets can also be depleted by killing enemy soldiers.

BF2142 also introduced the "Titan" gamemode, which places the "Titan" a massive aerial fortress that must be destroyed by the opposing team for said team to win (both teams have a Titan). This game mode has no tickets, but the core idea is the same- control missile silos to bombard an enemy Titan's shields, then either hold most/all silos to pound the Titan into proverbial scrap metal, or board the enemy Titan, destroying it from within, or even both.

One of the other things I can think of that keeps an FPS game going is what has helped keep Sins going for many players- the modding community. The Battlefield 1942 community stayed afloat FOREVER (technically speaking, as it is now rather nonexistant), thanks to modders and mods. The same thing happened with BF:Vietnam (probably my favorite Battlefield title). Battlefield 2 has been kept afloat mostly because EA rather botched things up with 2142 (though 2142 is still an excellent title, except for evil DRM for the most part), and because of the HUGE modding community around BF2. One would think modders would move to a newer game correct? In the case of BF2, there are probably 2-3 times as many mods as for BF2142.

Granted, I don't think that "point&shoot everything" gameplay is BAD necessarily (as that is effectively all Nexuiz, my favorite open-source FPS, is), as sometimes I do get the want to just kill/destroy everything in my path. But more often, when I want to blow stuff up, I want to play a game that has at least SOME tactical considerations that I can take into account.

December 9, 2009 6:26:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Blood and gore in STALKER...... you talking about the dead bodies in soem areas that look like they have spent a few winters there? Or the ocasional AI that will walk into a whirlwind anormalya nd be riped to shreads. Otehr then that I don't see much blood and gore. I hardly ever notice the blood stains in STALKER and I run everything at maximum.

To me STALKER is rated M because fot he inviroment it occures under. It's the wild wild west of chernobyle.

December 9, 2009 6:50:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

hmm. Interesting. Is the amount of gore controllable by a setting? Even if it isn't, you do definitely have my interest in the game piqued a bit more.

December 9, 2009 7:21:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Nope no settign I can tell.

Here are youtube links.

This is the only dismemberment you will see int eh game and it is done only by anormalies. It's not somethign you see very often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-O8sjpoTK0

This shows the ammount fo blood you can get froma  bugged body on a white surface. Normal dead bodies don'T bleed when shot and live ones on stain walls if their are 1 or 2 feet away from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q4Ss9fyonE&feature=related

December 10, 2009 3:14:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The FPS genre will continue to move forward.  Companies are still producing new engines (like Valve's Source), and as long as they do that companies won't have to invest a lot of man hours to get a decent game.  A company like valve produces a new engine and makes a star example of what that engine can do.  It doesn't have to do much more than break even, and the licensing will turn a profit.  And in Valve's case, every game they make gets more people to download Steam, which means more people shopping in their retail environment.  

We've seen some BIG, BIG advancement in the past couple years in FPS.  Left 4 Dead's director lets the game design an unpredictable experience each time.  Crysis is graphically amazing, and has a great single-player element (yeah, that was only two years ago folks).

And gameplay isn't just going the way of the chainsaw either.   Mirror's edge has a really, really cool, almost surreal roof-top jumping experience.  Portal's unique puzzle mechanism is incredible.

As for the single player campaign, what about Bioshock?

If you don't look past Call of Duty 67 and Left 4 Dead, its easy to say that the entire fps genre only focuses on multiplayer focused games - and its just as easy to be wrong.

December 11, 2009 10:44:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Multiplayer focused FPS' are fine.  Unreal Tournament 2004 is my all-time favorite FPS and it has NO single player beyond bot-matches (against admittedly decent AI).  Single player doesn't get focused on for one major reason: piracy.  If you focus entirely on making an epic single player experience with some multiplayer thrown it, it greatly increases the rate of piracy.  I for once I can't really blame pirates.  I'm not paying $50 for an 8-hour single player experience.  I don't care how pretty it looks.  If a game's value doesn't at least give me an hour of play for every dollar I spend, I don't bother. Thus I actually prefer FPS' that focus entirely on making a great multiplayer with strong bot AI for their single player component.  What are the most played FPS'?  Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 2, Left4Dead, Counterstrike; all games with NO single player at all.

Same goes for just about any genre other than RPGs, turn-based strategy and action games.  I like Sins because it dispenced entirely with the pointless single player campaign and focused on making the core gameplay better.  People still rave about Starcraft to this day, but it had one of the most boring single player campaigns I've ever played.  It was only because of fantastic Battle.net multiplayer service the game remains as popular as it is.

December 11, 2009 11:12:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

There of those of us that don't care for online gaming at all.  I don't have the time/skill to keep up with the twitch reflex 12 year olds, aimbot/hackers/cheaters and people that have nothing better to do than to play the game 8+ hours a day.  I know you don't have to always win to have fun, but it is NOT fun to lose EVERY SINGLE TIME.  It gets very old quick.  Plus, I've played enough online shooters to have me set for the rest of my life.  Despite all of the new game modes and tweaks, they really don't change that much.

I can't believe we are discussing FPS games and there has been barely a mention about the fantastic BioShock, which is my favorite FPS of all time.  To me it represents a nearly perfect single player FPS.  The campaign was pretty long too.

I do agree that it is tough to pay $50 for a short campaign, but I am willing to do it if it is a good one.  To be honest, BioShock was the first FPS that I paid full price for in years.

December 11, 2009 11:30:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No one mentions Deus Ex when talking about FPS games?  Heresy.

December 11, 2009 11:31:23 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Bioshock was good..just that it was System Shock2, with 1940s architecture, underwater, with some mutant powers instead of psi powers, and lots of small options to make it realistic (like weapon maintance) cut out to ease the gameplay

Not to mention Bioshock was super duper easy compared to System Shock 2, where even in easy, it was some chalenge...and again, the paper cut good/evil barimeter is (like games like Fable and whatever) too meh and didn't add anything in the game....if only TWO DIFFRENT ENDING!! OH LA LA

Quoting SpardaSon21,
No one mentions Deus Ex when talking about FPS games?  Heresy.

No one mentionned Vietcong Or Call of Juarez as well

December 11, 2009 12:12:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the problem is the acronym "per se". I do mean: FPS should gradually evolve to FPx. Allow me to be brief here..

December 11, 2009 7:22:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

My only interest in FPS games, at this point, are co-op online games like L4D and SWAT 4. I would love a SWAT 5. I wish they would do something with that series. I don't think SWAT was ever a dumbed down experience, and presented a lot more than just shoot anything that moved.

December 12, 2009 1:39:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Its been the big hitter genre for a long time now.  I think it has kind of burned it self out abit.  I honestly cant remeber the last FPS that really grabbed me,  they all feel rather the same now after so many years. 

December 14, 2009 2:25:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Bomthret,
Its been the big hitter genre for a long time now.  I think it has kind of burned it self out abit.  I honestly cant remeber the last FPS that really grabbed me,  they all feel rather the same now after so many years. 

Definitely agree with you on that one.  Frankly there hasn't been a major improvement to the FPS formula since Duke Nukem 3D introduced the jump button.  A friend of mine raves about Team Fortress 2 and Left4Dead, but I watched him play them and didn't really have an urge to try either one.  The last FPS I actually seriously played was Painkiller, and even then I was pretty bored of it halfway through.

And I'm not sure anyone IS going to try anything new with FPS.  They seem to have become the new staple game of consoles.  It's like the 'Doom-clone' era PC experienced years ago, only it's brand new to this generation of kids.

December 14, 2009 3:22:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting lbgsloan,
Quoting Bomthret, reply 21Its been the big hitter genre for a long time now.  I think it has kind of burned it self out abit.  I honestly cant remeber the last FPS that really grabbed me,  they all feel rather the same now after so many years. 

Definitely agree with you on that one.  Frankly there hasn't been a major improvement to the FPS formula since Duke Nukem 3D introduced the jump button.  A friend of mine raves about Team Fortress 2 and Left4Dead, but I watched him play them and didn't really have an urge to try either one.  The last FPS I actually seriously played was Painkiller, and even then I was pretty bored of it halfway through.

And I'm not sure anyone IS going to try anything new with FPS.  They seem to have become the new staple game of consoles.  It's like the 'Doom-clone' era PC experienced years ago, only it's brand new to this generation of kids.

You should *really* try STALKER then. Or Red Orchestra, or perhaps the Penumbra series. The "run and gun" subgenre of FPSs defined by DooM is still alive and kicking, but the FPS genre has branched to cover a lot of different areas as well.

December 14, 2009 11:50:39 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Stalker is, by far, my favorite FPS. If Deus Ex and Stalker had a baby, I would make a small large shrine in it's glory, but never play, for am I not holy enough. 

The Stalker game is unlike most other FPS's, in that it adds an X factor that is missing from all others. It has horror elements, dynamic worlds that aren't ever quite the same, and such a satisfying feeling of accomplishment when you take out your first camp of people in a firefight without needing your entire stash of medkits and bandages to keep from bleeding to death. Which by the way, is the most annoying way to die in the game. You won the fight, you collected all of the loot, you're on your way home to heal and rest, but you're slowly dying from your injuries and need divine intervention to rescue you. It doesn't.

December 15, 2009 2:09:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Was it ever uphill?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001078   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.