The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Instructions about Installing Mods

some people still have problems....

By on November 22, 2009 5:34:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

morpheas768

Join Date 06/2009
+160

Some people have problems or dont know how to install mods for Demigod. So i made this  forum post in order to help (maybe) some of them. I put it in "General" section, and not in "Demigod Modding", in order for everyone to see it.

Anyone who wishes to install a mod should know:

1. a) Download the mod you want.

b ) Use an archive tool/program in order to extract the files of the mod. I personally use WinRar. 7-Zip is also really good. WinZip is popular and considered a very good program, but i honestly dont like it, and also it doest support .rar files. Most mods are either a  xxxx.ZIP or  xxxx.RAR  files.  So you should use ANY archive program that support these 2 file types. My 2 suggestions are:  http://www.win-rar.com/download.html or http://www.7-zip.org/

2. a) Extract the files in a temporary directory, which can be anywhere, but for ease and speed i suggest you extract in eiher your Desktop or in "My Documents" folder. I personally use as a temporary place the "My Documents" folder.

b ) DO NOT EXTRACT FILES DIRECTLY INSIDE THE MOD FOLDER in any case. I have observed that some programs, including WinRar, create an additional folder in which they place the files. Example: when you tell the program "extract to xxxx path directory", it extracts, AND place the files in an additional folder named after the compressed file, i.e. if the file is named "new favor items mod" it will create a folder with this name and place it inside.

3. a) If you let the program create an additional folder, and extract directly inside the mod folder then: In your Single Player games there will be no problem, the mod will work fine. However, in Multiplayer games, when you play with friends to test a mod, or whatever, if you ALL dont have the mod under the same folders, and with the same file names, IT WILL NOT WORK. It will cause an invalid error right from the start.

b ) All players in Multiplayer games, should have the same mods installed, with the same path directories, and with the same file names. Otherwise there will be problems as i explained above. Except for UI only mods. these mods do not directly affect the game, for example items, skills, favor items etc etc. One player may have an UI only mod and others might not have it, and still be able to play MP together.

4. a) When you have extracted the files in a temporary location, make sure the "hook" folder, and the "mod_info" file, are inside ONE folder with the mod's original name. If your archive program created an additional folder and placed the files inside it, just move the folder out of the additionally created folder.

b ) When you have done all of the above, Move the mod inside the demigod mods folder. This is usually in:  C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\mods . This is where I have Demigod installed. You might have it installed in a different directory. In any case, the mod folder is in: Demigod\bindata\mods . Worst case scenario, that you cant find it, (i cant believe you are unable to) just run a search using the windows search angine, and type the word "mods" into the box.

5. You are now all set and ready to test your new mod. One last step is to run the game, and go to the "Mod Manager" in the title screen. From there you should see the mod's name at the left side. Select it and click enable. You should now see it in the right side. This means that it is enabled.

Thats it! you can now start a game and see some results. I think my instructions are fairly simple (i hope), and even if you are drunk, just woke up, or whatever, you can easily understand!   (I am just kidding he he)

Any questions? just post here if you have and i will help you

Locked Post 19 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 24, 2009 4:27:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

awesome guide, thnx!

November 25, 2009 11:26:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well done!

November 25, 2009 4:04:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm looking forward to seeing what the community can come with for this game.  There are a lot of people with the skills to do some amazing things around here.  Exciting times!

November 26, 2009 5:45:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Dash,
Well done!

Thank you!

Quoting Rosco_P,
I'm looking forward to seeing what the community can come with for this game.  There are a lot of people with the skills to do some amazing things around here.  Exciting times!

Yep. bman654, Chirmaya and mrappard have already displayed, a very good modding skill. I think we will see great things from them.

bman654 and Chirmaya have already made some great UI mods.

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/369937

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/369526

January 2, 2010 12:01:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm good in computer's(fixing,upgrading,building, etc.) but never found out how to download mods, so I think this might help! I'll report back if I have troubles or it works so, Let me try to download these mods!

Keep you posted

January 2, 2010 12:11:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OK, I'm posting. THIS IS SO CONFUSING!!!!There's like 8 document pages running because when I try to do something a Run or save thing pops up and now another then it's all so confusing so pleeeaaase help me!!!!

PS Did i tell you I'm confused???Well i am!

January 2, 2010 12:32:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok. Please tell me what exactly did you do, so I can help you.

What document pages are you referring to?

January 2, 2010 12:57:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't really know... I installed your winrar thing and I have no clue what you're talking 'bout in the next step. Is it windows7, 'cause they have a weird setup for files and such....

January 2, 2010 1:01:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The next step is:

2. a) Extract the files in a temporary directory,

Meaning that you can now download the mod you want, open it with WinRar or any other archive program, and extract its files in a temporary directory.

Ok, does WinRar work or not?

Explain a little better what exactly is your problem, because frankly you didnt give me much info.

January 2, 2010 1:07:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Woah, I tried what you just told me and on that team HP display it setup without messing with files or something.....maybe because i installed this auto-something where it automatically connects it to files....oh well THANKS!!!

January 2, 2010 1:15:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, you are welcome.

Post here if you have any more questions.

Also, any problems with mods (like bugs, crashes etc.) should be addressed to the modders, but I will help you too, if I am able to.

January 2, 2010 1:21:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting simi337,
Woah, I tried what you just told me and on that team HP display it setup without messing with files or something.....maybe because i installed this auto-something where it automatically connects it to files....oh well THANKS!!!

Judging by this and your post over at: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/369938 you seemed to have gotten things a little mixed up. That setup script is for people creating a mod installer, not installing someone elses mod. ( IE: If you make a mod, you can use the script to make an automatic installer. This way, someone else does not have to use winrar etc. to install your mod. )

January 3, 2010 11:26:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Shutup, you're raining on my parade..... Now I'm sad

January 3, 2010 11:52:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We are trying to help you, and you are telling us to shut up?

No wonder why people always yell at noobs

January 3, 2010 5:48:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think ( hope ) that he was saying that "tongue in cheek" aka jokingly actually...

November 30, 2010 2:12:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

HELP! I have found and put the mods in the bindata-file and then in the mods-file. But when I go to that mod manager thingy there is nothing there. I cant enable the mods if they aren't there... what should i do??????

November 30, 2010 2:17:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hey mx190,

First, if you haven't yet, check out this post here:  http://forums.impulsedriven.com/399399

Some of the mods in that thread have installers, so all you need to do is download them, run the executables, and then enable in the mod manager.  If you aren't seeing the mods you installed in the mod folder, my first guess is that you may have installed them improperly (you might be unzipping them where they keep an extra directory).

Anyway, long story short, do this: 

1. Close Demigod. 
  2. Open the link I provided above. 
  3. Click on the link for Rollover Ally Info 1.4.5. 
  4. Find the download link there. 
  5. Save the file. 
  6. Execute the file
  7. Open Demigod again
  8. Open the mod manager
  9. Click on enable for the rollover ally info mod.

If you follow those steps and can't enable the mod, then something else is going on and we'll need more details from you to assist. 

November 30, 2010 2:44:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Mx190,
HELP! I have found and put the mods in the bindata-file and then in the mods-file. But when I go to that mod manager thingy there is nothing there. I cant enable the mods if they aren't there... what should i do??????

You are probably extracting the files directly inside the Mods folder. If you read my guide carefully, there is no chance that the mods wont work for you.

WinRar tends to create an additional folder and places all files/folders there, which makes your mod "invisible" in the mod manager. Make sure that all of your installed mods dont have additional folders created for them. If they do, just move them out of this newly created folder, and place them in the mods folder properly.

For example:

If you were to install Favor Mod v1.8, it should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\bindata\mods\FavorMod" Where in the "FavorMod" folder, should be the necessary files for the mod to work. If you see some .LUA files in there, its all good. Example: mod_info.LUA

Please note that I am running on Windows XP. The install directory of Demigod might be different for you.

Follow my instructions carefully, and your mods should work. If not, please give me some more info on exactly what you did, so that I may assist you further.

"We were inhuman beings....butchers on a field of corpses....corrupt and depraved....only a sum of viscera, blood, and bone - Creatures without soul."

November 30, 2010 3:54:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OK, thanks guys

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time: