The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[MODDING-UTIL] Mod Setup Script

By on November 24, 2009 1:21:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Since it can be tricky for the average user to successfully install a mod, I've written an Inno Setup Install script that you modders can use to build installers for your mods.

It is very easy to use:

1. Download and install Inno Setup.
2. Download the sample setup script. This is the setup script I used to build the installer for the Godlike Team Panel.
3. Edit the file by searching for the ***** comments and following the instructions.
4. Click the compile button above.
5. Make sure you test!

Features of the install script
- Automatically finds the Demigod installation.  If it cannot find the installation, it will ask the user to find it.  It will verify the user has chosen a folder that looks like the main Demigod folder.
- Installs your mod to demigod\bindata\mods\yourmodfolder.  The user just can't get it wrong.

I recommend you offer both the traditional .ZIP archive of your mod and also an installer since some users do not like to download strange .EXE files.

Happy modding!

+79 Karma | 6 Replies
November 24, 2009 2:36:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WIN!!! Thx this will go a long way to mod addoption

November 29, 2009 10:26:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks a lot for this! Got it all working super fast with my mod

November 29, 2009 10:40:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

November 30, 2009 2:50:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do you think this could be modified to download the latest version of the mod from the web?  Maybe checking the modinfo.lua file for version number and updating if local<webversion ?

I took a look and I'm thinking that it might be as easy as mossing the SOURCE section to include an HTTP link to source forge or something and then writing a script that downloads a 'version' file and compares the contents... but I'm not that gifted

Thoughts?
Cheers,
Than.

November 30, 2009 3:24:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It could be done but it is ALOT more work to add that feature than it is to ask the users to check for new versions.

January 2, 2010 12:42:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't understand any of this on looking at ****comments??? it might be the easiest of the easiest and i don't get it!!! plz help me ASAP

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000094   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.