The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Dragon Age DLC at launch is bs.....

By on November 16, 2009 1:13:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I could almost understand dlc after the game has been released with the devs feverishly working to create additional content to prolong the games adventure. But at launch all they are doing is taking parts of the game and charging you extra for it. Complete bs....imagine playing Dragon Age without the Stone Prisoner.

Imagine

DOOM - dlc --- pay extra for the shotgun?

Zelda -dlc- you want arrows?

Sonic - dlc- you want sonic speed?

Mortal Kombat - dlc- pick your fighter it cost's extra.

And finally... Sins of a Solar Empire - dlc- $ 8.99 additional for the Kol......you get the idea.

What's next? Books with additional chapters? I know you don't have to pay for it, but it just completly ruins the shared experience in games.

+19 Karma | 43 Replies
November 16, 2009 1:19:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Stone Prisoner comes with EVERY new copy of Dragon Age, for free.

November 16, 2009 2:59:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1) The DLC was never meant to be included in the original game. The game was first targeted for early '09, not late '09. Stone Prisoner would have been released sometime over the summer, but was instead bundled FOR FREE in new copies of the game when the game was delayed.

2) Again, Stone Prisoner was designed from the get-go as DLC by a separate team from the game devs. It was never built into the intergral design of the game, so trying to make a claim that a core component of the game was 'cut' when it was never in the core game to begin with is ridiculous.

November 16, 2009 3:23:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For whatever reason EA has decided to live and die by DLC.  I blame COD 4's mappacks for igniting the fire.  While it can be a money maker for high quality games like Dragon Age, it punishes weak games Battleforge.  There are no illusions when you purchase DLC for Dragon Age you know what you are getting; the core game is the same.  If the DLC provides a good playtime to money ratio, I'm all in. 

My theory on the Stone Prisoner:  they made that DLC so everyone would create an online profile and to show how "easy" it was to purchase additional content.  They want that barrier removed before the stream of addons begin to flow. 

November 16, 2009 4:25:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting klaxton499,
My theory on the Stone Prisoner:  they made that DLC so everyone would create an online profile and to show how "easy" it was to purchase additional content.  They want that barrier removed before the stream of addons begin to flow. 

I suspect that you are quite right about this.  I personally do not have a problem with DLC (I never buy it anyway), especially if the retail release is solid and contains enough content to justify the price.

November 16, 2009 4:39:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DeCypher00,

I think he was saying, "Imagine if it DIDN'T, and you had to pay for it."

November 16, 2009 4:45:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Rosco_P,

Quoting DeCypher00,
reply 1

I think he was saying, "Imagine if it DIDN'T, and you had to pay for it."

Yeah, I got that impression to I am right there with him. At the way people are supporting EA and Bioware over this constant stream of new revenue, I mean valuable DLC, it looks like Stardock shouldn't be giving away extra content for free anymore. I mean several members of this community seem eager to fork out more money for a bit of DLC. Heck the next expansion for Sins or any other game might as well be broken up into 4 mincro trans so you could 10 dollars a pop!

November 16, 2009 4:58:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

And finally... Sins of a Solar Empire - dlc- $ 8.99 additional for the Kol......you get the idea.

I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

November 16, 2009 5:03:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah, imagine as if Sins of a Solar Empire required you to pay $10 for starbases, or Warcraft III charged you $30 for a fourth hero per race... gamers would *never* stand for it.

Also, there's no "shared experience" in Dragon Age, it's single-player only. Were it otherwise, I would've complained loudly about the "+3 attrib points" and the "+1 skill point" books included as preorder bonus, but as it is the only one you 'cheat' by using them is yourself.

Seriously, it's as if you people are allergic to the letters "DLC". Call 'em expansions and boost the price threefold and you're all over it, ganking newbies online with your l337 gear and your extra 20 levels (hey! it ain't my fault they're still in vanilla WoW, is it?), but call them "DLC" and suddenly its torches and pitchforks.

November 16, 2009 5:19:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have to agree with the majority of people here against the OP. I've been playing Dragon Age since release, without the WK DLC, and I haven't had the feeling that I'm missing something. Nor is the "unenhanced" game short or lacking of replayability. I'm on my second playthrough (I haven't beaten the first, yet, I just wanted to try a different class), about 20-21 hours in and something like 19% completed. At this rate I'll be getting 100 hours out of this playthrough alone. That's none to shabby even for an RPG. (Hell, the campaign of Halo 3 could be completed over a long afternoon)

I think you need to drop that feeling of self-entitlement. I bet most people thought "what the heck?" when they heard that Dragon Age was releasing along with DLC. Considering how few people are posting threads like this, though, it seems that most people have gotten over that gut reaction. Why? Either they tried the game, or they gave the notion a little more thought.

November 16, 2009 5:28:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My copy wasn't even able to download/access any of the "guaranteed" DLC content until I installed the update ... about a week after it came out/bought it.

November 16, 2009 5:37:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Honestly, I haven't had a problem with DA:O's DLC. I think they handled it pretty well. I do see where the OP is coming from though. I too fear that DLC will become so commonplace that in the future without DLC most games just won't be able to compete and without the DLC we'll be getting bland game experiences for all our games and they'll still cost $40, $50, and $60 Without DLC.

The problem is that there Are some games out there now that without DLC are basically unplayable pieces of shit. These games charge you money after the fact for basic game-play features that most games have standard. Luckily those seem to be restricted to web based browser games and online games with micro-transactions. The average gamer can see these money traps coming a mile away too but some are crafty about it and hide it pretty well until you're already in game and hooked.

I fear that this will become common practice as some companies get away with it and then other companies follow suite to jump on the money making band wagon. The only thing that will stop this trend is if gamers boycott a game and really drive the point home to the companies and hit them where it really hurts....their wallets. Will that ever happen though? I doubt it. People don't stand up for what they believe anymore. People as a whole are too beat down and mind washed by society's rules. Most people, even in the US, don't stand up for their own basic human rights and we let companies and the government walk all over us and rob us blind through bills and taxes. Our forefathers have been spinning in their graves for over a century...

November 16, 2009 5:51:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I honestly believe that Bioware got away with DLC because of it's reputation of games such as baulders gate and such.  If you had a company who has produced pure shit, you think people are going to buy the game + DLC?   I think not.  

As for Dragon Age: Origins DLC, I would expect $10 to give me somewhere between 5-7 hours of awesomeness.  I don't have wardens keep, so I don't know how that $7 turns out.   I figure the game itself provides 40 hours for one run through for $50.  Will I play it again?  Someday, Ijust can't play an RPG over again for a while, even if it is one of the funniest I have played in a while.

November 16, 2009 6:00:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

********************SPOILIER*********************************

honestly, each DLC is about an hour of gameplay tops .... not worth it ... except the Keep is a pretty good store.

November 16, 2009 6:26:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah, imagine as if Sins of a Solar Empire required you to pay $10 for starbases, or Warcraft III charged you $30 for a fourth hero per race... gamers would *never* stand for it.

There's a difference, starbases were created AFTER Sins was developed, so your paying for the EXTRA time to create them.

This is different than say....Sins released and if you want a Nova cannon? that's $ 10 bucks. Just add everything in and charge us one price. It's called in the real world nickel and dime'n you.

As far as Dragon Age goes, The Golem had to be created at the SAME time as the rest of the game, other wise how would he interact with the rest of your group? What they did here was break off chunks of game, and charged you for it. And most of you lap it up.

November 16, 2009 6:30:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

oh noes, FREE DLC! what is the world coming to?

November 16, 2009 6:32:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I can barely put a paragraph together.

November 16, 2009 6:34:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mortal Kombat - dlc- pick your fighter it cost's extra.

I should kill you where you stand for even imagining such blasphemy!!!

November 16, 2009 6:38:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting wbino,

What they did here was break off chunks of game, and charged you for it. And most of you lap it up.

really? i got mine for free.

November 16, 2009 7:30:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting TatertotEatalot,
I honestly believe that Bioware got away with DLC because of it's reputation of games such as baulders gate and such. If you had a company who has produced pure shit, you think people are going to buy the game + DLC? I think not.

If you had a company that had produced pure shit, would you buy the game *alone*? DLC is an orthogonal concept to quality, and I don't see how selling crap is somehow made better by not offering DLC alongside it.

Quoting wbino,
Just add everything in and charge us one price. It's called in the real world nickel and dime'n you.

They did, it was called "Dragon Age: Origins Deluxe Edition Pre-Order". You didn't get it, too bad so sad, but at least you've got the option to get the extra content for a (relatively) small price, most pre-order bonus end up being unavailable outside of eBay for the entirety of the product's lifetime. I still want my Aribeth poster, goddammit! 

Quoting wbino,
As far as Dragon Age goes, The Golem had to be created at the SAME time as the rest of the game, other wise how would he interact with the rest of your group?

By recording Golem-specific lines after the fact, and adding them alongside the data files for the DLC, perhaps? which would explain why, as far as I can see, there are no "OMG is that a golem besides you!?" comments by NPCs, or Golem-specific quests outside the DLC content. Like there is for Leliana, for instance, who gets special treatment by anyone who's part of the Chantry, or Alistair by everyone in his hometown.

Frankly, we already had this conversation weeks ago and I'm already tired of it. You know what I think? I think that Dragon Age: Origins is the finest videogame ever created even without a single plece of DLC, free or otherwise. And I think that we should judge a game's value by itself instead of being jealous of "what could've been" if you had more money. And the base game is easily worth the $50 asking price, for anyone with even a slight interest in the RPG genre.

November 16, 2009 7:43:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DraekAlmasy,

Frankly, we already had this conversation weeks ago and I'm already tired of it. You know what I think? I think that Dragon Age: Origins is the finest videogame ever created even without a single plece of DLC, free or otherwise. And I think that we should judge a game's value by itself instead of being jealous of "what could've been" if you had more money. And the base game is easily worth the $50 asking price, for anyone with even a slight interest in the RPG genre.

If you are tired of having this conversation, what are you doing here? Go play your game, enjoy it, and let people who want to discuss this industry change do so without individuals who get their rocks off by insulting people they disagree with.

November 16, 2009 7:43:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

its perfectly a good game without the Keep or the Golem. The only thing they should of changed was to only add the Keep guy IF THE CONTENT WAS DOWNLOADED!!!!!! seriously ... having that lame guy be a Salesman for EA ... that really flew me off my rocker.

November 16, 2009 7:50:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hate DLC too. Why? For me it's nothing more than a cheap excuse for a full fledged expansion, and a way to 'constantly' (think about MMOs) get some decent income, without a need to wait till the exp. IMHO bunch of DLCs =/= expansion. DLC is just a short story that doesn't adhere to the main arc of the game, as it can't/shouldn't spoil anything. Instead you get some kind of more sophisticated sub-quest chain - sad, but true. If you don't believe me, just look at the reviews of DLCs for Fallout 3. It's sad that Bioware is owned by EA; they make great games, but they have to adhere to some stupid marketing plans.

November 16, 2009 8:14:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wish the super weapons in Sins had been DLC.  Then I wouldn't have them.

Of course, the ai doesn't use them so I can just ignore their presence...

November 17, 2009 5:50:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This DLC content is laughable imo. I mean...the Soldier's Peak quest is VERY short for example....the Stone Prisoner quest is also short, but at least it "gives you" a new character [golem].

November 17, 2009 10:08:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting TatertotEatalot,

As for Dragon Age: Origins DLC, I would expect $10 to give me somewhere between 5-7 hours of awesomeness.  I don't have wardens keep, so I don't know how that $7 turns out.   I figure the game itself provides 40 hours for one run through for $50.  Will I play it again?  Someday, Ijust can't play an RPG over again for a while, even if it is one of the funniest I have played in a while.

Well the game itself is going to be easly 80 hours for my first run thru.  Heck, I'm pushing 25-30 and I'm not even done with the first main army gathering quest.

As for the DLCs, I don't like the trend in general but frankly, if a DLC doesn't look to be worth it I won't buy it.  That simple.  With Oblivion I didn't buy a single DLC until the Knights of the Nine came out and bundled all the previous DLCs together in one package. 

As for the Dragon Age DLCs:

1) Stone Prisoner (FREE) - Not even in the discussion since it is FREE.  I haven't done this one yet but probably will once I finally get out of the Fade.  I've read it's over 2 hours of gameplay but the biggest thing is you get a new party member you can use the entire rest of the game.

2) Warden's Keep ($7) - I got about 2 hours of gameplay out of it (3 if you count that it took me 5 times to finally beat the final battle).  You do get a couple cool vendors and the unlimited storage chest.  I think $5 is probably more appropriote charge but I won't quibble over 2 bucks.  Plus I got it FREE anyway with the digital deluxe version (one of the main reasons I went with the digital deluxe, I'd rather have the free DLC over a tin box and map).

3) All the pre-order item garbage - This I thought was over the top and uneeded.  I scoffed at it figuring they would all be useless items soon into the game BUT many of us were wrong on that one.  Magic is rare in this game and I'm still using the 2 rings I got at the beginning.

In any case, Dragon Age is one of the best games ever (seriously) and I'll get way over 80 hours of gameplay out of my frist run and I'm not even doing all sidequests.  Replayability is high and I can see playing this several more times with different origins/characters and different party members.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.