The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Strange method of backing up your files

Computers have come full circle

By on November 13, 2009 1:41:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize ForumsExternal Link

I ran across this today and thought it was so bizzare that I just had to pass it on.

In this day and age of digital media I found it strange that there is a new method of backing up your files. The back up is created on ordinary paper.

It seems that some one has created a free app that allows you to back up your files on paper in the form of the oversized bitmaps. You then print it out and to recover the data, you scan it back in.

Not sure why this was created or if anyone would really use it but it's out there and it's free, so check it out.

+500 Karma | 24 Replies
November 13, 2009 1:42:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Somewhere,a tree is crying.

November 13, 2009 1:51:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If I wanted to spend the rest of my life printing and scanning documents with no time for family, hobbies, food; I would totally do this.

November 13, 2009 2:21:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Novel idea, for sure! However, it's unfortunate scanners don't operate faster, otherwise it might even be feasible.

Mike

November 13, 2009 2:51:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Great idea!

Turns out the program for this app is written in Cuneiform on little 3.5" tablets.

Answer: PAPERBACK 1.00!  And print it out on Spotted Owls! That should be a ...... Hoot!

Funny one Cars!

November 13, 2009 3:03:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Strange indeed. Might be fun to mess around with if you are bored. Thanks for sharing.

November 13, 2009 3:07:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Brought to you by the friendly folks who sell printers and ink/toner?

November 13, 2009 3:25:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This method just reminds me of my former boss and late father-in-law (yeah, I married the boss's kid -- my first marriage) who used to frown on the use of calculators because "you rely too much on them, and then what would you do if you were in a foxhole?"  

"The Major" was always reliving WWII -- I miss him. 

November 13, 2009 3:28:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hmm, move from a paper world to a digital word only to go backk to paper.

"Mr Jonson? Can you please scan these documents for me so we can send them to our client in Germany? Please remember to use PaperBack to do a back up and send the back up to our client in Germany via DHL just in case he doesn't get the scanned file."

November 13, 2009 3:38:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting k10w3,
"you rely too much on them, and then what would you do if you were in a foxhole?"
Why, calculate the best course of action, of course.

November 13, 2009 4:50:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Does it work for shorthand I wonder?

November 13, 2009 5:53:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When I first saw this i thought it was a joke but it really works. With the speed and the cost of ink, it's more of a novelty but it's kinda cool.

ChuckCS has it right...data has gone full circle with this program.

November 13, 2009 7:30:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

....and if you spill coffee on your paper.....or tear it.....or the dog eats it....  

November 13, 2009 7:44:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

.....or the dog eats it...

Ahh,another use for CCleaner.

November 14, 2009 7:21:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good grief.

November 16, 2009 4:43:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Am I the only one that noticed the message at the top of the page:

"Olly, the author of OllyDbg, presents his new open source joke:"

November 16, 2009 5:55:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes, Rosco...I went back and still don't see it...but you have them special SD glasses. 

November 16, 2009 6:10:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Scroll up. Maybe they mean the method itself is kind of a joke. I downloaded the app. It runs and looks legit enough.

November 16, 2009 6:18:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I tried it...it works.

I believe it's a joke metaphorically.

November 16, 2009 6:30:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Scrolled all the way up in ie8 and Opera. Nada.

Guess the metaphor's on me.  

November 16, 2009 6:46:04 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

So has anyone tried to recreate a file yet?

Making a bitmap would be easy, but scanning it back in to a usable program file might be a bit more problematic.

November 16, 2009 7:31:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Scrolled all the way up in ie8 and Opera. Nada.

Guess the metaphor's on me.

Doc...I pointed it out for you just in case you miss placed your reading glasses.

November 16, 2009 7:52:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK...your external link and Rosco's are different. I guess the metaphor really is on me. 

*sniffle...poor doc. 

November 17, 2009 8:50:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
OK...your external link and Rosco's are different. I guess the metaphor really is on me. 

*sniffle...poor doc. 

Sorry, the link I had came from my copy/paste, and goes to the author's main page.  Totally didn't see that... 

November 18, 2009 2:15:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

oh what?? how is this possible?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000765   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.