The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Patch, overlay, and bandwidth

By on October 15, 2009 8:29:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mikhail

Join Date 02/2008
+2

After the new update yesterday, I started to have connection problems with random other players before the game could start.  On 3 occasions, i was asked to leave 3v3 games because i could not connect to 1 or more players.  I hosted a game myself, and it ran fine.  Tried a second game, and in opening and closing slots to move players, and extra players starting to join, got hard locked and had to reboot.  I played with another 'fast' host, and all connections were pretty quick.  I'm just thinking the bandwidth demand is increased just enough to put me on the edge of connection.

I have a 756 dsl connection. I'm at the end of the dsl range and nothing faster is available.  In the past, my pings would be pretty high while people were still joining the game, but would drop into the 80-160 range for all 5 in most 3v3.  My connection will seldom handle 4v4.  

If the new overlay is more demanding of bandwidth, I'd rather play without it if that is possible.  Can it be disabled?  

PS. Except for the (possible) bandwidth issues, the new overlay is pretty sweet.  It makes it easier to see 'stacked' games, like the host for 'Medium' players.....2 guys with 75% wins and 54% playing together looking for 'Medium' skills.  

Locked Post 27 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 15, 2009 12:44:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you are not the only one with problems...yesterday i updated the game and tried to play with two friends from my country(Portugal) and i could connect to everyone but not to them...very strange......before the patch we could play easily online with no problems connecting and with very good ping , now cant even connect.... with this new patch i cant even play with my friends anymore.

October 15, 2009 1:10:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The same problem here. Cannot connect anymore to my regular teammate after the update and vice versa (but we can chat in game). I have also encountered the same with some other random players. Especially in Pantheon games, what makes difficult to play Pantheon. Endless "attempting to connect" and after several minutes - "matchmaking service has failed", unless the "incompatible" player leaves the queue.

One hour before the last patch that was not an issue and started right after the update. I have 12/1 Mbit connection and do not think that it has anything to do with insufficient bandwith.

October 15, 2009 2:22:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Have seen and had similar problems. Don't think it is my connection since it's good.

October 15, 2009 6:41:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

my connection is also good 16mb/1mb

October 16, 2009 7:02:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Same problem, i have a 8mega connection, and during 4 consecutive hobbies, i couldn't connect to one player

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

i need my dope man !

For me, it began when i took overlay, before the update. But since the update, it's a living hell to find a game.

October 16, 2009 10:10:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

same for me. the game is broken for me since the patch. almost impossible to connect. before the patch it was fine. thats really frustrating.

October 16, 2009 11:07:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And 1 more here (paris, france), i have 8Mo dsl connection and since the patch, in pantheon, I can't get in a game because there are some people i can't connect (curtisguy22, netzwerg1974...) And in every game i come in, there is allways at least 1 person i can't connect to.

This is really annoying !!!

October 16, 2009 4:19:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah ive seen this

October 16, 2009 4:42:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Same here. I used to be able to connect to just about everyone. Not any more.

October 16, 2009 8:35:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can connect to Custom games, but Pantheon won't connect at all today (16th).  I'm in Dallas.  Something is definitely different, I rarely had this problem with Pantheon before.

October 16, 2009 10:45:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

just resolve the isue just click in properties in you shortcut for the game in the desktop and add /serverproxyonly in the destiny field....for me and my friends it resolved the issue.....probably will resolve yours

Example:

"C:\xxxxx\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\Demigod.exe" /serverproxyonly

thanks

Karma for meeeee ++++++

Richtofen

October 16, 2009 11:45:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I will try that, thanks

Awesome, just zooming into games comparitively.  Thanks for the help......   

This really works, guys!!!!!

October 16, 2009 11:53:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

richtofen...me and my mate also had a similar issue...forcing proxy worked for us!

Nice call.

+1

October 17, 2009 3:00:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is not a permanent solution but just a work around. The fact is that introducing the overlay patch has changed the way some of us connect to other players. It should be fixed.

October 17, 2009 9:21:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I doubt the overlay patch changed the way people connect, but as it altered the program, you will probably need to update your firewall settings.  Your router might have also reset, and given you some port forwarding issues.

October 17, 2009 10:29:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I doubt the overlay patch changed the way people connect, but as it altered the program, you will probably need to update your firewall settings.

Nope, tried all of the above. Only could connect using the serverproxy line.

Odd i know.

October 17, 2009 10:35:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting FutileEmotion,
I doubt the overlay patch changed the way people connect, but as it altered the program, you will probably need to update your firewall settings.  Your router might have also reset, and given you some port forwarding issues.

My comments here were written after setting firewall to a game mode and checking "Demigod" port forwarding in my router.

October 17, 2009 1:08:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi everyone.  I wanted to let everyone know that we are looking into the problem.

October 17, 2009 2:05:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi everyone.

We have a new version that fixes a display error in the win percent (some people showed 0% even if they had won games) and cuts down on the amount of bandwidth used when connecting to other players in the game (the new overlay introduced a lot more queries to the CVP server).

We'll have this new update ready on Impulse as soon as it goes through testing.

Thank you,

CodeCritter

October 17, 2009 2:24:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here's an updated DLL that you can unzip into your Demigod/bin directory:

http://draginol.stardock.net/files/impulsereactor-101709.zip

October 17, 2009 4:06:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank You for jumping on this so quickly. I won't get to test it out till my friends are on later, but looking forward to going back to direct connect or NAT, as it reduces my pings by about 50 or so over proxying.

October 17, 2009 4:07:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We'll be here if you have any problems so just post if this doesn't fully solve it -- it should.

October 17, 2009 6:29:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Here's an updated DLL that you can unzip into your Demigod/bin directory:

http://www.draginol.com/files/impulsereactor-101709.zip 

I have tested it on four or five games, and so far, it seems that everything has returned back to normal. Thank you Frogboy & Company for a quick fix.

On a side note, I have to express my pleasant surprise, seeing how Frogboy/Stardock relate to his clients. I have been observing "Demigod" forums for a couple of months and I have to appreciate Mr. Frogboy's and his employee's communication skills and accessibility.

In the world of faceless corporations, where nobody wants to take any responsibility for failures and where everybody is first to get recognition for even smallest success, CEO of Stardock shows some real class and courage to publicly face "the crowd". I hope that his fresh attitude tinted with a healthy ammount of so much needed nowadays humility will always remain with him and his business will be further flourishing.

October 17, 2009 10:58:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome stuff guys...

Now to find that pesky bloke from MO and try this out.

October 17, 2009 11:58:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy, those files worked a treat, actually gave me and my mate in MO (im AU remember) the best ping we have had for a while....

Whatever you guys did....it was great!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: