The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: September Q & A

By on September 19, 2009 6:36:56 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Greetings!

It’s that time of the month again so here are some answers to user questions from the forums.

Q: Will there be new maps being added to Demigod?

A: We think so.  Stardock plans to work with Gas Powered Games to either create new maps there or have Stardock create them.  In addition, we are hoping the modding SDK (which is part of the v1.2 update series) will make it possible for users to create maps.  However, making maps is not easy. Unless you have a very good understanding of 3D Studio you will want to leave it to others.

Q: What is happening with regards to Demigod online stat tracking and generally improving the multiplayer experience?

A: The version v1.2 series is aimed at that. Most of these improvements will be the responsibility of Stardock (as opposed to developer Gas Powered Games).

Specifically:

Starting next week, users will be able to go to a user’s pantheon page:

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/player/10397

And write notes on a particular user.  We are still debating whether the public should be able to see all notes or only that user. If we let the public do it, then we will end up having to moderate them for abuse. We’d like to hear from you.

Secondly, these notes will be able to be seen in the Demigod lobby from the connection dialog.

Thirdly, the connection dialog will display the # of games that person has played as well as their win % as well as what % of the previous 25 games that person has had one or more of the same teammates as they do in the lobby.

We intend for these features to show up in the next week or so.

We are also eliminating multiplayer skirmish in order to focus on the online experience on custom games and pantheon. The pantheon tournaments will only go 24 hours between the start of new tournaments.

The stat system has already been updated so that custom games now get counted as part of your overall stats (previously only pantheon and skirmish did which was not intuitive to many players who believed the stats were hosed).

Q: What was the coolest demigod ability that was removed for balance reasons?

A: I seem to remember that the Queen of Thorns used to be able to burrow in the ground and come up somewhere else but that could be my imagination.

Q: Beyond v1.2, what kinds of new features do you envision there being in Demigod?

A: The game’s continued sales success has opened the door to a lot of future options.

However, what specifically that means depends on who you talk to. A surprising number of people play Demigod single player and that is something I personally would like to see further developed but it is very expensive.

Others would like to see more multiplayer options which are also very expensive. 

I do know, however, there’s a lot of interest in adding new favor items, improving the existing items, and just generally improving the overall game. 

What I would (personally) like to see will be the creation of improvements by the community itself in the modding area: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/forum/622

Q: What are Stardock/GPG’s plans to promote Demigod more in the future as new features get added?

A: There’s two particular ways we plan to significantly enhance the online player base. 

First, once we’re happy with v1.19 (the early of the v1.2 update series) we’re going to be contacting the Demigod user base which we haven’t really been doing for awhile.

Second, we are going to be focusing the Ready to Play beta for Demigod users as our focus.  This will start next Tuesday to make it easier for people to get games going with friends.

Q: What are the plans for making it easier for clans and teams to get together?

A: That is part of Demigod: Clan Wars.  Originally that was going to be developed this Summer but it became clear that people wanted Replays and Modding more (based on feedback) so Clan Wars got pushed back until those two features were ready.

Increasingly, the  plan is shaping up that more and more of the enhanced multiplayer features like this will be handled by the Impulse overlay since Elemental is going to be sharing the same code.

Q: What is the biggest issue you see Demigod  having to overcome that hasn’t been discussed as much as you think it should?

A: Two words: Mystery lag. That is, the case where the sim time seems fine and the ping time looks good but there’s still lag.  This is something that we think is a big deal. It doesn’t happen often for most people (based on talking to regulars) or for me but I have seen it and I think it’s a big deal and needs to be looked at more.

Q: Will Stardock or GPG give their blessing to community made mods and distribute them?

A: I can’t speak for GPG but I know we favor it.

Q: What improvements to the minion user interface do you imagine?

A: Well, there’s a few things that I’d like to see. I want to know how many of my minions are left from the UI. I’d like to be able to more easily control types of minions from the UI (or at least hot keys).  There are no specific plans at this moment to do anything about it (which merely means we haven’t submitted this request to GPG yet formally).

Q: Is Cataract going to be tweaked so that you can’t take the dark side’s gold flag from outside tower range?

A: Shhhh! Seriously though, yes, it’s something on our list.

Q: When is Epoch 3 going to come and what stats are going to be changed?

A: Epoch 3 will likely come with v1.2.  Favor points will stay but the actual win/loss and other stats will be reset (still accessible as Epoch 2 though).

Q: What is the future of the Queen of Thorns?

A: We have a request in to buff her. 

Q: What is the status of the 2 new Demigods?

A: The scripts are written, the artwork is getting there. My understanding that the artwork is taking longer than anticipated.

Q: How do you (Frogboy) see Demigod “competing” in a world with other “Dota” like games coming out?

A: Well first off, one thing people often don’t realize is that various rivalries that gamers often have with their favorite game don’t typically exist between game developers.  For instance, Stardock people play League of Legends. We like Riot Games and want their game to succeed.

Demigod is designed as a game that people can sit down and play without a lot of training. The real skill in Demigod comes from knowing when to engage or retreat, knowing when to buy what items and knowing what parts of the map you need to control and when. From there, the next level is how to interact with a team.

As Chris Taylor and myself have said on countless occasions, the market has been saturated with RTS’s for the hard core that require the player to memorize a bunch of units and spend many hours getting up to speed. Demigod is designed to be much more approachable. And we think it succeeds pretty spectacularly. It’s certainly not a “casual” game but it’s also not “hard core”.  It is, in my opinion, just right in terms of the right balance.

Another thing people not familiar with Stardock don’t realize is that we support games long-term whether we develop them ourselves (Galactic Civilizations) or publish them (Sins of a Solar Empire).  We work with our development partners to keep these games going. 

So yes, Demigod will still be being actively improved a year from now and probably beyond that and because of that, it will maintain a decent online community that is still welcoming to new players because of its nature.

+912 Karma | 58 Replies
September 19, 2009 6:41:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Awesome News!!!

September 19, 2009 7:06:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Q: What is the future of the Queen of Thorns?

Yesssssssssssss

September 19, 2009 7:34:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Scufo,

quoting postQ: What is the future of the Queen of Thorns?
Yesssssssssssss

Don't believe it. We will never allow you play her anyways!

September 19, 2009 7:48:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The game’s continued sales success has opened the door to a lot of future options.

w00t!

I'd love to be able to create my own favor item.

September 19, 2009 7:52:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I already got a 71% win ratio with QoT if you buff her I'll never lose.....

September 19, 2009 8:08:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Q: Is Cataract going to be tweaked so that you can’t take the dark side’s gold flag from outside tower range?

A: Shhhh! Seriously though, yes, it’s something on our list.

Just want to mention that both side's gold flags can be exploited in this way, not just dark side. 8)

-- Tukulis

September 19, 2009 8:16:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I seem to remember that the Queen of Thorns used to be able to burrow in the ground and come up somewhere else but that could be my imagination.

I'm so itching to ask for a change of Uproot to this.

Give her a mana drain per second when she's burrowed like Erebus's Mist Form. 

September 19, 2009 10:41:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Comments allowed?

Thanks for that!

I would seriously support some love to single-player, i mean, economically

September 19, 2009 11:52:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We are still debating whether the public should be able to see all notes or only that user. If we let the public do it, then we will end up having to moderate them for abuse. We’d like to hear from you.

I don't think this info needs to be public.  While it might be nice to see, I suspect the system will cause more problems than it's worth.  As long as I can tag people with my own personal notes, and can see them in the in-game lobby, I'll be pretty happy.

A: Two words: Mystery lag. That is, the case where the sim time seems fine and the ping time looks good but there’s still lag. This is something that we think is a big deal. It doesn’t happen often for most people (based on talking to regulars) or for me but I have seen it and I think it’s a big deal and needs to be looked at more.

This just happened to me today for the first time.  Everyone's ping was less than 200, sim speeds were fine, but the game became nearly unplayable due to mystery lag.  But this is the 1st time it's happened and I've played over 100 games.

All this is good stuff.  Thanks for the info and time, Forgboy.  Oh, and fun playing DG with you tonight - a good match!

September 20, 2009 12:05:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank's for the info!

As above, I don't believe the personal notes need to be viewable by the public, it opens the door to too many problems.  Being able to see your own notes could be handy though.

September 20, 2009 1:02:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A: The game’s continued sales success has opened the door to a lot of future options.

This is great to hear.

September 20, 2009 2:36:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We are still debating whether the public should be able to see all notes or only that user. If we let the public do it, then we will end up having to moderate them for abuse. We’d like to hear from you.

I think having the notes be public is a pretty bad idea.  Like you mentioned, you'll have to take another resource to moderate the feedback.  This causes extra work for your staff but also additional grief for the community.  Imagine joining a game and now, the guy you just beat last game has added a note (frogboy ragequits almost every game).  Now you've got everyone that joins and looks at the overlay asking you if you're going to rage quit or kicking you from their games.  And then you get to explain to them that its just someone you beat and they might believe you.  You might be able to get something like that resolved quickly, but the rest of us... probably not. 

On the positive side and assuming people wouldn't be all that vindictive, you could get some valuable feedback regarding players at a glance.  BUT - I think it would be best if only your notes were visible. 

Also - it's nice to see a dev journal unlocked.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just move whoever wants to talk garbage to that vistor status you talked about. 

September 20, 2009 2:53:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pacov has cleared what is obvious

thks

Ps.: don't buff QoT

September 20, 2009 5:16:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think having the notes be public is a pretty bad idea.

agreed.

notes should only contain positive information if it is going to be public.

for example, "<name> can play a good <demigod name>, voted by <all players names that agree with this statement>"

private would be better, so i could record players k/d ratios of who i play with.

September 20, 2009 5:19:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

looks great froggy. cant wait for modding

September 20, 2009 6:33:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So, does "the scripts are written" mean, that history, skills etc. are written down and are ready to be sent to Atari for translation? Maybe you could upload this tiny file somewhere else. We could begin translating them by now

September 20, 2009 7:32:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't really see you coming down on the public option if you think it through. The notes are traditionally used for marking good/bad/nice/asshole players. In the world of Internet, any player marked as bad or asshole will think its abuse.

I'd keep the comments hidden unless you wrote them, but add a karma system where you can vote 1-5 and that creates an average that is visible to all (3 is default)(and another one that is the last 25 votes). Simply put, once you allow people to input their own words, well, that is pretty much the same as officially calling it your first expanion: Demigod: Rise of the Shitstorm.

September 20, 2009 8:04:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

is there any progress being made on the ability to turn off auto attack or the pathing mainly on cateract im getting tired of getting stuck on corners.  and do they plan on reseting the states?

September 20, 2009 8:31:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Did you even read his journal entry mike9102?

"Q: When is Epoch 3 going to come and what stats are going to be changed?

A: Epoch 3 will likely come with v1.2.  Favor points will stay but the actual win/loss and other stats will be reset (still accessible as Epoch 2 though)."

September 20, 2009 8:56:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think that sums it up

Sounds pretty decent thanks for the feedback

September 20, 2009 9:11:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Q: What was the coolest demigod ability that was removed for balance reasons?
A: I seem to remember that the Queen of Thorns used to be able to burrow in the ground and come up somewhere else but that could be my imagination.

too bad, that this amazing ability was replaced !

QoT would be much more intresting with this ability !

are there any thoughts to buff QoT by bringing this abilty back in game ?

maybe by replacing this useless "Uproot" ability, nerver saw someone unsing it...

September 20, 2009 9:30:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

read but missed thx still wondering about the pathing or did i miss that too

September 20, 2009 12:05:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Same as we settled with the forum karma system; if people are allowed to put public black marks on others, it's a sure bet that it'll be abused much more so than if only positive remarks are permitted.

September 20, 2009 12:30:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kryo,

Same as we settled with the forum karma system; if people are allowed to put public black marks on others, it's a sure bet that it'll be abused much more so than if only positive remarks are permitted.

Maybe there should be a player karma system then?

September 20, 2009 1:28:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

+1 for QoT buff.  She mostly needs continuing strength and usefulness beyond lvl 10.

+1 for improving single-player modes.  More AI improvements and settings would especially be welcome.

+l for new maps and modding support.

+1 for not making player notes visible to all players.  That sort of system would be ripe for abuse.  With the new win/loss stats and premade info visible in the lobby, players will be able to make informed judgments about who they want to play with and avoid.  It's enough if players can write their own individual notes about other players without these notes being open to the public.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000656   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.