The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

New Map Idea: Crown (2v2v2v2) (with Pics and .max)

By on September 2, 2009 4:35:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums External Link

TheScottish...

Join Date 04/2009
+81

been a while since i posted anything so i thought i'd demo what i've been working on for when the SDK comes out.  so far i've almost got it so you can more then two teams on a map so i thought i'd start out with a map that works off that principle.  Basic idea is like a lot of people have suggested a while back, with a map where 4 teams each attack each other.

this map specificly works with the conflict of working with two demigods but having 3 seperate grunt paths.  with 12 diffrent paths and only 8 demigods this measn increased communication between team mates will be needed in order to push and defend the extra path for each of team.

Map Idea: Crown

# of Players:

8 players  across 4 teams   (2v2v2v2)

Mode:

Good for all game modes

Basic:

Appearance:

The map, as you can see, if based around the idea of a compass (kind of).  with 4 directions and a centre the edges are lines with rim that gives the impression of a crown.  the crowna and interlocked by the paths with a septer looking thing in the middle.  since the centre is where most of the fighting will take place this makes it look like four crowns all fighting for a septer in the middle.

anyway the pics are taken from 3ds max and the file can be found later on so if you interested check out the file and have a look at it in 3d.

Structures:

Simple is Best (monokuro boo).  2 towers on each brance with 2 archers behind them.  citadel is surrounded by 2 more towers and maybe 3 archers.  other then that ther's one shop in the middle with one flag on each arm, one the the middle, and one flag controlling all three portals in the base (thou that flag is actualy inside the citadel).

Pathing:

the idea is that the middle path will cross to the oposite team and the sides to the others.  once a team is defeated the citadel reveals a flag that controls their portals.  other teams can capture this flag and double their grunt.  thes grunts will follow the same path as the defeated team (the path that leads to new pwners team will simply join a path [clockwise])

Conclusion:

for those interested you can download the max file here if you want to have a closer look:

Crown.max

so that it for the map, pretty simple but the concept of more grunts then Demigods should lead to interesting strategies at least.  untill the SDK comes out i'll prbabbly be just going through the lua script figuring out how to do this and then whem i can make scmap files and edit granny fiels i'll get on making it

unless ofcourse the dev' wouldn't mind maybe sending over a few of the tool their using at the momment in which case i could probably have it up and in alpha tests before the end of the weekends

Locked Post 22 Replies +4
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 2, 2009 4:52:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is brilliant.  Have you started working on how the lobby will work.  currently there is no way of organising teams for a map like this.

September 2, 2009 5:02:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well i'm about 50-50.  i know where in the lua script to edit and can even make maps so you can only have 1 person on each team... or even 1 on one team and 5 on the other.    the problem is when i try to add a new team in it tends to have fit and die on me.  still in testing but i think i'm gettig pretty close.

i've also got it so i can create new maps that appear in lobby, with its own name, discription and even loading screen.  problem i'm having with that is that the scmap's seem to not like giving up their former folder so i run into all sorts of model conflicts.  again with time i think i'll be able to fix this.

September 2, 2009 5:07:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That looks really fricken fun

September 2, 2009 5:25:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If more than 2 teams is possible, how would everyone feel about a genuine Blood Bath remake?  Too hard to make the pushes?

September 2, 2009 5:59:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thats amazing! People like you are what make games last!

September 2, 2009 6:25:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Currently how the lobby is set up there is no option for 2v2v2v2 but its a fun idea and an excellant looking map! +1

September 2, 2009 7:33:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

SD/GPG, why is TheScottishAlien not yet on the payroll?

Once again a terrific map mate, if not the best one so far, IMHO.

I am drooling over the "every man for himself" mode that this map would suit greatly.

+1

September 2, 2009 11:19:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this is as far as i've gotten.  as you can see, new map with 1 player on each team.  problem now if figuring out how to create two new team (you can see the screen division with the light and dark... once that's done i'll this much closer to making the map

September 3, 2009 12:03:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

good work

September 3, 2009 1:28:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thisll be a kik ass map

September 3, 2009 6:37:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
It looks great, but keep in mind the "side" gates to each base will need pretty heavy fortifications (including fortresses), otherwise catapultosaurs will be at your citadel in minutes.
September 3, 2009 6:39:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Keep going. This map look great

September 3, 2009 7:30:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You should make a portfolio of all your work TSA and if you ever desire a job in the industry send it along with your application. I would be surprised if anyone would even ask you for a resume and not straight hire you for the job.

September 3, 2009 12:13:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi,

I've been looking at this code also, and i think its a major undertaking, anyone interesting modding should join us on IRC, #dgmodding (irc.stardock.com) where i am writing up documentation on how to setup the development enviroment properly (where to find missing assets for the debugger etc)

With regards to teams, in lobbyBase.lua basically teams are divided based on the notion that any team position id > 5 is on team 2.

There is an incredible amount of logic throughout the LUA (and i would'nt supprised if it was in the C also) that goes if (object).Faction == "TEAM_1" then else end

or to that effect, so this would need to be reworked. Its a massive job and would basically stop being a mod but being an entire dgdata.zip replacement.

I am hoping to pool all the LUA development modders together to build like a 'master mod' that all other mods can build from, in this mod would contain lots of helper functions, support for more maps and people who dont have those maps, more game modes, game options etc and very little in terms of new units, items and maps, and let those become addons.

If the community backed like a common technical backend mod then we would end up with a very powerful modding community with great flexibility and also a rapid way to quash bugs faster than say GPG and SD could fix and also a common framework for when official development support ceases.

What do people think?

September 3, 2009 1:12:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm. So you mean to say that each cit has 3 portals? That means 12 creep waves in total. While i like the epicness of it all, i think some computers would crash. Maybe remove the middle path? Good job anyway .

September 3, 2009 1:44:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also that would give too big of an advantage to AOE heavy demigods probably

September 3, 2009 1:51:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm. So you mean to say that each cit has 3 portals? That means 12 creep waves in total. While i like the epicness of it all, i think some computers would crash. Maybe remove the middle path? Good job anyway .

quick solution to this would be for the middle path and the side paths to spawn at seperate time.  say soon as the side grunts spawn and reach the opposing wave then the middle portal is spawned.  8 portals at one time is actually pretty standard for larger maps (like 8+ players)  i think brother has 7 or 9 portals at any given time.

Also that would give too big of an advantage to AOE heavy demigods probably

i don't think so.. since the waves don't group up like in other maps this means that u never get the huge bottle neck in maps like Cataract.  AoE would be effective and taking out one wave, but that th same on any map in the game.  only place i can see some dificulties would be in the middle where 4 waves reach each other.  but this would be mean that sending you AoE DG to the middle would be the prefered strategy.  problem with the middle is that its a long way form the sides to helping team mates might become a problem on short notice.

I've been looking at this code also, and i think its a major undertaking, anyone interesting modding should join us on IRC, #dgmodding (irc.stardock.com) where i am writing up documentation on how to setup the development enviroment properly (where to find missing assets for the debugger etc)

when is a good time your on?

September 3, 2009 2:21:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ups sorry on my part, I didn't look at the creep path pic and assumed all waves would meet in the middle. Wraid's post made me assume that, because creep waves not on screen generally don't drag down performance much, so by him saying he'd have poor performance I assumed they would all be on screen at once, meaning in the middle. My bad

September 3, 2009 10:13:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Neilo,
SD/GPG, why is TheScottishAlien not yet on the payroll?
This.

September 16, 2009 1:57:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Jesus, this guy is amazing, i hope we will start seeing maps like this when updates start coming out.

September 16, 2009 5:53:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Nichtganz,
Jesus, this guy is amazing, i hope we will start seeing maps like this when updates start coming out.

We will.

September 28, 2009 8:12:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

....Scotish alien this is a great idea! KARMA!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000515   Page Render Time: