The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

An idea for post v1.2

By on August 31, 2009 1:28:43 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I’m thinking we should get rid of the “skirmish” mode.  Very few people use it and it only serves to divide the community.

Instead, Pantheon would become the focus of ranked games and help build a larger base of players for it.  But in order to do that, we have to deal with the problem of hyper-competitive people who quit games on start if they don’t get the person they want to play with.

So I was thinking that on pantheon games, once someone disconnected more than 3 times and it’s greater than 10% of the games in the first 5 minutes that those games would count as a loss for that player.  Same for custom games too.

What do you think?

+897 Karma | 65 Replies
September 2, 2009 9:58:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i'd like pantheon to go, because i dont like being stuck on one side for a week or so. well, i actually play pantheon more often because everyone plays it and the match making works faster with more people.

generally i think the matchmaking needs to be worked on. i'd rather play no game at all than playing 3 human vs. 1 human and 2 ai.

imo not every disconnect should count as a loss. when theres a game with the other side having 3 humans and i got 2 ais, then its not even worth playing. they'd get filthy rich by killing the ais and i had no chance. its not fun for them either and no one ever complained when i told them "sorry, not worth playing with ai, ill go". i wouldnt complain if someone else did that and i wouldnt want it to be a win. because it aint one.

September 2, 2009 10:31:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There's a few problems with making Pantheon the sole source of rankings without removing the light/dark restrictions:

1. Premades can't go wrong. If you see your partner in the connection screen there is a 100% chance you're on the same team.
  2. Matching becomes much less reliable when high ranked players, premade or not, are literally completely unable to be matched against each other because they're on the same side (light/dark).
  3. Wait times increase when you have disproportionate numbers of light and dark players queueing at any given time.
  4. You're more prone to get frustrating doubles, such as a triple reg team.
  5. Completely subjective, but I think generally light DGs take more skill than dark DGs, the main offenders being Rook and Regulus. Generally speaking an average Reg or Rook will get completely smashed by UB or LE.

So I like where you're going here with making auto-matching the focus of the game, but I just think that light/dark is a cool but impractical concept for it.

Also one major issue I have with auto-matching is that frequently a player will simply not connect to anyone and it takes a very, very long time for the game to indicate what exactly is going on. If there were a better update on how long you need to wait or just a much, much shorter time given to players who crash out or just can't connect you'd greatly reduce the number of people leaving queues, which would have a positive and recursive effect.

September 2, 2009 1:58:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Skirmish mode can be removed!

September 2, 2009 4:03:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Premades can't go wrong. If you see your partner in the connection screen there is a 100% chance you're on the same team.

Still not sure why we are showing the connection screen in pantheon at all... I'm all in favor of dropping the connect screen completely and waiting it out or if its easy, just change it so that it shows player1, player2, etc. 

September 2, 2009 5:14:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

But in order to do that, we have to deal with the problem of hyper-competitive people who quit games on start if they don’t get the person they want to play with.
So I was thinking that on pantheon games, once someone disconnected more than 3 times and it’s greater than 10% of the games in the first 5 minutes that those games would count as a loss for that player.  Same for custom games too.
What do you think?

What are we talking here about exactly?

Leaving before the game actually starts, means in the connection screen?

That at least what I predict what the "hyper-competitive people" do when they don't see their friends name.

Or are we talking simply about ragequiters? (second sentence sounds clearly like the ragequitting issue).

September 2, 2009 6:03:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds good except that gets a bit boring to just play Light v Dark all the time. It could be fun to play those kind of random games with a mix of all the demigods, which we can in skirmish...

September 2, 2009 11:39:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Only if pantheon restarts immediately..in fact, just do that anyway.  it's pointless to have it down for days at a time.

September 3, 2009 6:21:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,

Premades can't go wrong. If you see your partner in the connection screen there is a 100% chance you're on the same team.
Still not sure why we are showing the connection screen in pantheon at all... I'm all in favor of dropping the connect screen completely and waiting it out or if its easy, just change it so that it shows player1, player2, etc. 

This doesn't remove the possibility, that you'll probably end up in the same team.

September 3, 2009 9:47:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

FYI people quit matches because they think they will lose. I dont see why this would make them stop quiting if they think they will lose by staying anyways.

The problem is they should not have been matched up with the player they dont want to play with in the first place. So imo match filter options should be put in place to state I dont want to play with anyone below x rank or x ping, etc. This way people get the matches they want. In custom games I think rank filtering should be available as well. As in your rank is too low to join this game, etc.

September 4, 2009 7:16:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Personally, I think it should be the other way around. Get rid of Parthenon. I don't really like the arbitrary division of teams, and Skirmish allows truly random games.

But, yes, I think one or the other needs to go, they just aren't popular enough.

September 4, 2009 7:36:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

if you keep putting AI players in pantheon, people will keep disconnecting.

so penalizing first minute disconnects doesnt really work there, unless the game is guaranteed not to START with AI's. Thats not to say that an AI wont take over if someone quits, that should still work the same. I'm just annoyed when there is a team of 3 humans playing vs 1 human and 2 ai. I havent seen a game of a different format in pantheon for a very long time. Sometimes 2hum vs 1hum 1 ai.

September 4, 2009 9:32:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting inerz,
if you keep putting AI players in pantheon, people will keep disconnecting.

September 6, 2009 7:35:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Esuzu,

Quoting inerz, reply 61if you keep putting AI players in pantheon, people will keep disconnecting.

once had a 1h1ai vs 1h1ai. that was ok. that way you have to support your ai mate. but its not always fair since regulus ai seems to flee more often than other dgs which prevents him from feeding the enemy with money by being killend many times.

so imo you should really stop putting ai players in pantheon games.

the problem i see with filters is: there are just not enough players! if you implement a filtersystem with only a few options there wont be games anymore since everyone will get filtered out.

September 8, 2009 7:24:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting abuggeredhedgie,
Personally, I think it should be the other way around. Get rid of Parthenon. I don't really like the arbitrary division of teams, and Skirmish allows truly random games.

But, yes, I think one or the other needs to go, they just aren't popular enough.

After having played a number of pantheon games recently, I agree with abh.  The arbitrary division of teams is contributing to a flawed play experience.  For example, if 2 light and 6 dark players are waiting for a pantheon game, it will assign a 2v2 match (most likely in Zigurat!) and 4 dark players will have to wait.  Wouldn't it be better if a 4v4 game was set-up - possibly with teams matched for experience?  AI teammates would become a much less probable issue. 

I understand why the developers institituted the whole light-dark thing, but I'm not sure how many of the players really care about it (light vs. dark winning the pantheon tournament) vs. their own personal rankings.

September 9, 2009 12:55:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

From the journal "Demigod builds" posted by Istari from Stardock

On other Stardock games, public betas are part of the process for major updates. However, on Demigod, when this was tried, the community complained about "splitting the MP community" so this was not done.

v1.2 has been in internal beta for the past couple of weeks.  If we had public betas, users would already be playing it.  But we don't have public betas.  Unfortunately, the Demigod community tends to vocally complain about any solution.

But if our estimates seem off, it is only because it is very difficult to judge how long a given feature will stay in quality assurance.

Suffice to say, since transparency seems to only result in ugly behavior from the vocal members of the Demigod community, I have been told that there are no plans to further update the community.

And thats our answer:

Pls cry another way dude, reading your lines is embrassing - just think about the people which helped you to fix so many issuses from the beginning, willing to let demigod move into a right direction, but nothing happens only empty words - these people are pissed off and btw. completely rightly.

A small example why players can only laugh about some offis like frogboy - it was spoken from new heroes, oh how fantastically and well they look etc and this guy called frogboy really ventures to say, that he takes care getting some screenshots as soon as possible, omg and it takes weeks - plas guys dont take the piss out of us - WE QUIT

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.