The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

Demigod builds

By on September 6, 2009 3:05:20 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Greetings!  I’m currently at PAX, getting ready to head back.  New builds have been coming in from GPG. 

Right now, they’re trying to get the replays nailed down.  I also asked about a number of player requests such as Torcher Bearer casting when running (the answer on that is that he’s not intended to be able to do that be design – some people will obviously disagree but there’s the answer).

Some exploits have been addressed that I won’t get into here.  I won’t give an ETA since the build is in internal beta and it’s hard to guestimate how long it will take to eliminate bugs and such in order to make is public.

The mod handling is also pretty advanced in this build but there are some security features that have to be in to help avoid some malicious mods that we’re looking to put in before that goes out.

The two new Demigods look pretty good. The visual quality is absurdly good.  The demon assassin is definitely something that I think will be very useful in a team based game.  I’ll try to get some screenshots up shortly.

It was great being at PAX and meeting many of you. It’s nice to hear a lot of positive feedback on the game since sometimes, reading the forums, you tend to get a…specific demographic of players that aren’t necessarily representative of the wider Demigod player base.

More to come shortly.

+897 Karma | 68 Replies
September 6, 2009 3:45:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yay!

I knew the TB thing was by design. As soon as this stuff all comes out, I'm back into Demigod.

September 6, 2009 3:50:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks Frogboy for the update, it would really help the modders if you could say what features, support tools etc are being shipped with 1.2 for modding, we've got some new maps in game but we need a terrain editor, which we hope is going to be included, otherwise we need to hack our own

Thanks

September 6, 2009 4:05:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great!

We're waiting these SS.

September 6, 2009 4:17:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not to nitpick, but do you mean attack while moving or cast while moving on the Torchy Beary?

September 6, 2009 4:32:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pretty sure he means auto attacking. Didn't GPG say they were adding it in though?

September 6, 2009 4:44:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Shade,
Pretty sure he means auto attacking. Didn't GPG say they were adding it in though?
Kryos had put it on the official bug list, I don't think we heard word beyond that.

September 6, 2009 4:50:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It’s nice to hear a lot of positive feedback on the game since sometimes, reading the forums, you tend to get a…specific demographic of players that aren’t necessarily representative of the wider Demigod player base.

That may be true.

Nevertheless, I'd still like to think that Stardock and GPG appreciate the constructive feedback here (especially regarding bugs and balancing), because only positive feedback won't make the game any better.

For example:

When watching a replay I'd really like to be able to see the inventory and skill tree of the Demigod in focus, I hope that gets implemented somehow.

September 6, 2009 5:14:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It’s nice to hear a lot of positive feedback on the game since sometimes, reading the forums, you tend to get a…specific demographic of players that aren’t necessarily representative of the wider Demigod player base.
More to come shortly.

Not all of us are... extrem critical customers. Don't listen to them. Stardock and GPG are doing a great job with Demigod. 

September 6, 2009 5:28:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The two new Demigods look pretty good. The visual quality is absurdly good. The demon assassin is definitely something that I think will be very useful in a team based game. I’ll try to get some screenshots up shortly.
Oh man I hope you mean tonight!

Pretty sure he means auto attacking. Didn't GPG say they were adding it in though?Kryos had put it on the official bug list, I don't think we heard word beyond that.

So the not being able to auto-attack while moving in Fire mode is...intended?

September 6, 2009 5:45:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1.2 needs to come quickly. im tired of waiting! lol.

September 6, 2009 5:50:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

really looking forward to this assasin, he looks like a heck of an anoying dog!

September 6, 2009 6:32:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The ETA was the end of the August.  And it was going to come in small modules so you wouldn't have to have beta test huge changes for extended periods of time.  Furthermore, there was going to be something substantial to show at PAX. 

Not to mention the whole "Clan Wars" feature set that was supposed to be released at the end of summer (read: now).

I don't really care how long it takes.  Of course I'de like to see all these things sooner rather than later.  Especially stuff that should've been included in the initial release (REPLAYS!).  I get that making games is hard.  But something must be seriously wrong with your project management process if your release projections are so consistently so way off. 

Everytime I see a post it's a completely different story about what features are coming when.  I can't help but think that things would be better if there was less noise coming from the talking head.  I understand that you're trying to be transparent to the community, but the only thing that's transparent here is how incredibly ineffective your project management and QA is.

Just my observations.  I LOVE the game and I will be incredibly pleased when it is feature complete (replays/modding/team matching).  Until then, each of these posts just does more and more damage to my good faith in Stardock as a company.  I know you're working on it.  Just keep your mouth shut until you have something tangible to show me.  Talking about recieving builds and complaining about lengthy QA processes doesn't make up for the fact that replays are still missing 5 months after release.  It just makes me more disappointed that they're still missing.

September 6, 2009 6:58:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Obscenitor,

Quoting Shade, reply 5Pretty sure he means auto attacking. Didn't GPG say they were adding it in though?Kryos had put it on the official bug list, I don't think we heard word beyond that.

Sorian
The plan is to create a new animation for TB and code it in. There is also a line in the AttackRanged table that needs to be uncommented.

Yes, I am one of the people working on Demigod atm (I think I can say that, if this post magically dissappears then I guess I wasn't) and I have to say I think Demon Assassin is my new favorite Demigod.

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=39104

September 6, 2009 7:26:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorry I missed you at PAX Brad.

The plan is to create a new animation for TB and code it in. There is also a line in the AttackRanged table that needs to be uncommented.

Yes, I am one of the people working on Demigod atm (I think I can say that, if this post magically dissappears then I guess I wasn't) and I have to say I think Demon Assassin is my new favorite Demigod.

I had worked on the TB thing. According to the code it was by design that TB in fire mode was not able to move and attack at the same time, but I thought a new animation to fix this was being looked at. Whether that happens or not is not my call.

September 6, 2009 7:48:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

that was supposed to be released at the end of summer

not now they have about 20 days before summer "officially"  ends

September 6, 2009 7:48:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heya Sorian, thanks for the info. I realize i may be barking up the wrong tree here, but if you could pass a bit of info along to whoever would make that kind of call could you basically them this for me and a fair amount of players:

Basically there's been so much player speculation on whether or not fire mode is bugged because fire aura both enhances speed and auto-attack pretty dramatically. A 15% attack speed, 15% movement speed, and then a +50'ish damage increase, just don't add up the way you'd expect them to when more often than not you literally only fire once or twice per fight.

I'm not even exaggerating there, the way it ends up you typically spend the first 1.5-4.0 seconds casting FB/CoF/FN, then you'll fire once or twice before recasting fireball. Typically your target will be in motion and if it's away from you you can no longer attack because you've gotta move to do so. If he's not meant to attack frequently then honestly I think reworking the aura to focus less on auto-attack damage would make more sense.

Also TB's fire spells all have cast times, so it seems there's already a built-in counterbalance to his speed and autoattack damage, in that you would have to rubberband in and out of attack range (if you could make it back in at all) if you stay on a runner for an especially long period of time.

The end result is that (to me anyway) fire TB just feels kind of incomplete, and while it's really cool to be able to buff your team's movement and attack speed, it just feels like the fire aura doesn't make sense in its current implementation.

I apologize for the derail and don't let this post make you think I'm not having a ton of fun with the game and looking forwards to 1.2!

September 6, 2009 8:01:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I already made the appropriate people aware of the need for a new animation, and hopefully it will get done at the same time the animations are being done for the new Demigods. Again, the decision is not mine so who knows. There is a lot of work going into this new patch.

September 6, 2009 8:05:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*crosses fingers*

September 6, 2009 8:18:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Haha, wow, that's ironic.

Thanks for taking the time to keep us in the loop Frogboy! 

September 6, 2009 8:25:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mehoo: ETA stands for estimated time of arrival.  That means, by definition, it's an estimate.  There were 2 updates in August.  There have been internal releases throughout August but none that qualified as a release.

Nothing has changed in our release plans.

September 6, 2009 9:12:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can't wait for the big updates. Time's been cut short for me so demigod fell off the #1 game to play, but after these updates, it'll be back on top.

Sorian, I didn't know you made it into GPG! That's awesome, congrats.

September 6, 2009 9:34:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It'll be a big patch.

September 6, 2009 9:35:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting regabond,
Can't wait for the big updates. Time's been cut short for me so demigod fell off the #1 game to play, but after these updates, it'll be back on top.

Sorian, I didn't know you made it into GPG! That's awesome, congrats.

Thanks.

I started last Monday and they threw me into working on the Demigod patch (with a bit of SC2 bug fixing mixed in).

September 6, 2009 9:43:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mr11.Hope++;

September 6, 2009 10:03:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorian - that's awesome!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.