The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Algorithm for pre-mades

By on August 30, 2009 3:57:26 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Now, I don’t have a problem with pre-mades (teams who play together online). That’s a great thing in fact as long as the other side understands that.

What I would like to see is something like the above. Where it looks at the player’s record and sees how many games this person has had the other people on that team in their game. Just information so people can make choices.

Locked Post 55 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 31, 2009 9:36:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with many of the ideas presented int his thread, and agree that while the experience rating is a good intention, it's not generally a clear representation of that player's skill. I'd put things in a format something like this:

Player win/loss (win %) (overall premade %)
Connected to: player 2 (premade %)

The premade ranking would simply a percentage of how much each individual has played with their team. The overall is just an average percentage based on each individual team member's premade ranking.Your basic connection window would look sometihng like this:

Frogboy 13/17 (43.3%) (5.7% premade)
Connected to: MrWizard (14%), Gank (0%), AmazingHero (3%)

MrWizard 126/74 (63%) (11% premade)
Connected to: Frogboy (14%), Gank (17%), AmazingHero (2%)

Gank
89/73 (54.9%) (5.7% premade)
Connected to: Frogboy (0%), MrWizard (17%), AmazingHero (0%)

AmazingHero 79/82 (49.1%) (1.7% premade)
Connected to: Frogboy (3%), MrWizard (2%), Gank (0%)

I don't know how viable this is since this is through the connection window, and I don't know if/how well it keeps track of what team people are on. Having a lot of games with a person on the opposite team would throw off the overall premade rating, and having it as an average of everyone in the lobby would make it awfully low, so perhaps having just individual ratings would be best here.

August 31, 2009 9:48:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree that favour points aren't a good measure of skill. But they are a good indicator of a person's experience, if all favour points ever accrued are the currency used, as well as being accessible by the current statistics tracking system (i.e. no need for a redesign.

The more games played, with as indicated in your re-direct cosmoe, the more favour someone is going to have. The more games played, should equal more experience.

Perhaps a modified version of what my memory remembers of the old fairly useless vanilla starcraft rating system. It had a star system, each half star earnt by winning two games. Whilst pretty useless as 10 games wasnt much indication of experience, you oculd always look up a persons stats too.and see the actual stats.

So for demigods case, an easily identifiable system could be half a star earned for every 1000 favour points accrued in the players lifetime?

If 40 is the minimum favour for staying in a game and losing, then itll take at least 25 games till you earn that one half star.

For custom, its only use would be say bragging rights and indication of experience, nothing more.

For new demigod players, theyd have some idea who to play against.

So in a potential ladder, you could compete against the players at your star rating in order to work your way upto a 5 star rating. Would give players something concrete to accomplish, as well as allowing for skilled players to compete in a ladder vs other likedminded skilled players.

In terms of identifying random teams, if team play isnt organised, the % played on team sounds like a great idea.

August 31, 2009 10:39:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The more games played, with as indicated in your re-direct cosmoe, the more favour someone is going to have

Nope, wrong interpretation.

The graph displays the average Favor Points for a game per Demigod. It does not matter how often the Demigod is played and the Favor Points for Wins/Losses are also excluded (extra for each Demigod).

It's not a measure of Demigod strength!

It simply shows that Regulus gets some Favor Points (Kills, Kill Streak, Assists, Buildings destroyed) easier than other Demigods. I guess that the Torchbearer is so high up there because he usually gets most damage and most reinforcements killed in a game.

The support Demigods are the lowest on the graph because you not only get zero Favor Points for supportive actions, but also because supportive actions are disadvantageous for your Favor Point Statistic (think Heal (no reward) instead of Pounce (damage, or kill reward); both cost you a lot of mana). Heals and Shields are of course advantageous for the allie you supported, who can perhaps kill another Demigod because of it. That's teamplay. It's just not encouraged through Favor Points.

August 31, 2009 11:33:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@cosmoe. I think we may be arguing for things that are different.

Whilst I agree that support demigods may be slightly shafted in terms of favour accruement; if someone plays a support demigod for 100 games (without dropping), even losing every game,  they will still accruemore favour then someone only playing 10 games.

I simply propose that since much more favour comes with playing many more games, an easy way to indicate player experience (not skill or demigod strength) would be to at least have a visual representation of the amount of favour points accrued. The star system i think would work nicely.

August 31, 2009 11:49:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Relentless8888,
I'd put things in a format something like this:

Player win/loss (win %) (overall premade %)
Connected to: player 2 (premade %)

The premade ranking would simply a percentage of how much each individual has played with their team. The overall is just an average percentage based on each individual team member's premade ranking.Your basic connection window would look sometihng like this:

works for me

August 31, 2009 1:51:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Seriously these ideas are half-assing it. You're just proposing a system which makes it easier for players to avoid premades, you're not incentivizing premade vs. premade matches when you de-emphasize experience.

Players with a lot of exp should want to fight other players with high exp levels, they should not want to stomp pugs, which is what a solely win % based approach encourages.

Think about it. Even if the system worked like you hope it would, which is to say it encouraged premades to fight equally skilled opponents, their win ratios would drop down to 50% win rates and then pugs would fight them not knowing what their actual skill level were.

Experience is the only logical gauge of skill, if you feel the experience equation needs tweaking then say so, I would agree with you.

August 31, 2009 8:56:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another new stat should be added if possible... total disconnects or % of total disconnects.  I've been sifting through alot of the data in my past games and today alone I've played with a few people with over 50% disconnect rates.  Me thinks there are some people I wouldn't be willing to play with had I checked out those numbers in advance... 1 guy even had a 64% disconnect rate with over 100 games played. 

Jeeze... the percent of disconnects in this game alone is crazy http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/915919/player/28414/

Out of the 4 people on the other team, only 1 had a disconnect rate < 34%... and this was a game that lasted (with the host still in it) about 40 minutes.  2 guys dropped at the same time, no desync.  Instead, the stats show the game lasting 4 minutes. 

I think I'll be checking disconnects from now on... anyone with over 100 games and an abysmal disconnect rate will probably cause some sort of problems in this game. 

September 1, 2009 1:44:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would be carefull with this kind of stats (talking about the "experience" and "team %").

I´ll take an other game as an example why you have to be carefull about introducing such skill ratings (and make them viewable for everyone who´s just connected to you):

Maybe you heard about HoN, if not, it doesn´t matter. It´s a team game, like demigod. The game does have skill stats, they call it PSR (public skill rate). With each win it will increase and vice versa. A few weeks ago the developers decided to make this PSR visible for everyone without making a few more clicks. First: A good idea, now there´s an easy way to seperate skilled players from new players etc.

But on the other hand, let us think about the following:

A pre-made team of 3 or 4 players are playing some matches everyday together in the same team and are defeating random teams by, maybe, 70%. So their skill rating will increase very fast. After a few weeks (or even days, if they´re playing like freaks ) they will encounter the following problem: most people will leave their matched up game instantly because they´ll just see the ratings of the pre-made team and will think: "What? No way, I´ll not sacrifice my rating points by getting stomped from (by?) a closed team."

The effect will be, that the pre-made team won´t get a game started easily, because most of the people who will join their game are leaving right after checking their stats.

The skillrating is no problem, if there would be something like "Arranged Team", well known by WC3 and Starcraft (well, don´t know if it´s in Starcraft, but it´s in WC3).

So, according to the last journal you could maybe change the Skirmish mode with an AT mode. I know, that this would mean more developing for this mode. I don´t know if it could be done in a few weeks (regarding resources. I think most of the devs at Stardock are currently working on Elemental).

September 1, 2009 2:34:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A pre-made team of 3 or 4 players are playing some matches everyday together in the same team and are defeating random teams by, maybe, 70%. So their skill rating will increase very fast. After a few weeks (or even days, if they´re playing like freaks ) they will encounter the following problem: most people will leave their matched up game instantly because they´ll just see the ratings of the pre-made team and will think: "What? No way, I´ll not sacrifice my rating points by getting stomped from (by?) a closed team."

The effect will be, that the pre-made team won´t get a game started easily, because most of the people who will join their game are leaving right after checking their stats.

which happens now anyway if you're not stupid. once you play for online for a week you start to recognize teams (and check stats), good pug players etc

as a premade you can make posts to challenge other teams on the forums, go on irc, post premade in lobby title etc.

September 1, 2009 2:41:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I fully support the shuffle team option, (prefeably I would like it to also try and balance the 'stats' of the team), i.e. try and set it up so that %wins of each team is as close as possible...this will result in much closer games.

September 1, 2009 2:48:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

MrWizard 126/74 (63%) (11% premade)
Connected to: Frogboy (14%), Gank (17%), AmazingHero (2%)

Gank 89/73 (54.9%) (5.7% premade)
Connected to: Frogboy (0%), MrWizard (17%), AmazingHero (0%)

AmazingHero 79/82 (49.1%) (1.7% premade)
Connected to: Frogboy (3%), MrWizard (2%), Gank (0%)

this would be awesome if we could get this kind of stat in the connection window., I would maybe through in disconnects as well. but the above gives 3 of the most important stats needed:

1) Premade Chance

2) Total Number of Games

3) % Wins

I personally feel Total Games on the whole is more important then %wins (at least when ur looking at >40% win ratios)

September 1, 2009 2:59:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ed anger,

which happens now anyway if you're not stupid. once you play for online for a week you start to recognize teams (and check stats), good pug players etc

as a premade you can make posts to challenge other teams on the forums, go on irc, post premade in lobby title etc.

Didn´t know Demigod got only a handfull of players online at the same time, didn´t touched it since beta was over. I´m more used to those 15k+ users only at once. But if Demigod lacks of such a base and you´ll know most of the players of Demigod after a few matches the "Arranged Team" button is pointless, yes.

It would save you the time for searching some enemies on IRC though.

September 1, 2009 3:21:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can't speak for others but for me this could be disaster.  I only play with friends of mine.  It would say 100% to one friend and 70-80% to my second teammate.  No one would play us.  Funny part is we are old married guys who only play once a week on average.  We lose even as a premade.  Often we are pushed by PUGs even if we eventually win.  The other players have to be 3 lone wolf types for it to be over quickly.  My point is the proposed system would not accurately reflect the ability of our team and would drastically increase the time needed for us to form a game.  With our limited play time (i.e. once a week) we'd be forced to move on to other games.  I realize we are in the minority and we've had fun with the game since launch.   If you move forward with this plan and it's as bad as I think it'll be, we'll just shrug our shoulders and find another meeting place for game night.

P.S.  Gaming night is Tuesday

September 1, 2009 3:51:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It would say 100% to one friend and 70-80% to my second teammate. No one would play us. Funny part is we are old married guys who only play once a week on average. We lose even as a premade.

and it would give your win/game rate, which would be low so people wouldn't feel threatened. i don't see why no one would play you. most people look first at your win rate, and then at who you've played with.

Didn´t know Demigod got only a handfull of players online at the same time, didn´t touched it since beta was over. I´m more used to those 15k+ users only at once. But if Demigod lacks of such a base and you´ll know most of the players of Demigod after a few matches the "Arranged Team" button is pointless, yes.

check:

http://www.demigodthegame.com/opengames.asp

usually 5-10 open game lobbies at a time (50+ games in play). people tend to play at the same hours each day. you quickly learn who plays with who.

September 1, 2009 4:11:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ed anger,

It would say 100% to one friend and 70-80% to my second teammate. No one would play us. Funny part is we are old married guys who only play once a week on average. We lose even as a premade.

and it would give your win/game rate, which would be low so people wouldn't feel threatened. i don't see why no one would play you. most people look first at your win rate, and then at who you've played with.

You're assuming % win will be included.  Frogboy only mentioned Experience which is less exacting.

September 1, 2009 4:25:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nothing new to me ed anger, only that the stats page got some minor changes since beta. But if there are only 5-10 open games, I fully agree, no need for an extra arranged team function. It would only make sense if you have 15k+ players online, 400+ open games (running and full games not included) at once etc.

How will the Experience be calculated?

September 1, 2009 4:40:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
Another new stat should be added if possible... total disconnects or % of total disconnects.  I've been sifting through alot of the data in my past games and today alone I've played with a few people with over 50% disconnect rates.  Me thinks there are some people I wouldn't be willing to play with had I checked out those numbers in advance... 1 guy even had a 64% disconnect rate with over 100 games played. 

Jeeze... the percent of disconnects in this game alone is crazy http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/915919/player/28414/

Out of the 4 people on the other team, only 1 had a disconnect rate < 34%... and this was a game that lasted (with the host still in it) about 40 minutes.  2 guys dropped at the same time, no desync.  Instead, the stats show the game lasting 4 minutes. 

I think I'll be checking disconnects from now on... anyone with over 100 games and an abysmal disconnect rate will probably cause some sort of problems in this game. 

No, that game only lasted 4 minutes. The 40 minute one(the game AFTER that) is MIA. So much for getting a single game in yesterday

September 1, 2009 5:21:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, that game only lasted 4 minutes. The 40 minute one(the game AFTER that) is MIA

ah... thanks for the clarification shade.

September 1, 2009 9:37:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
Seriously Frogboy is right when it comes to displaying exp, it's a far better number than favor points, games played, or win ratios. I do feel experience needs to be made much less opaque and it would make more sense to start at zero instead of 1k, but in the end it's the best evaluation of a player's skill available.
September 2, 2009 2:21:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've been watching these kinds of threads for a while now...

As a regular host, I would like to know the % disconnect which is calculated as #disconnects/#total games.  That evens the scale for someone with 200+ games and someone with only 50 games.  If % is too high, I'll call them on it, and ask if they plan on sticking around. 

I'd like to randomize teams, but dont know how to do it, and still preserve the DG of choice.  I play TB mostly, and my team wouldn't benefit from my being switched to say a Rook for example.  It may not be able to be done.  Maybe only randomize players with same dg on either team?  idk...

Lastly, any consideration of calculating %premade has to figure in the fact that there is a limited set of players at any given time of the day, and the chances of playing w/the same people ATM is pretty high. Over time, I've become familiar with many players, and have played with them all more than once. I don't consider us a premade cuase I'm just as willing to play with as against them.  We just happen to be the same set of folks who play in the evening, looking for 4v (or higher) games.

September 2, 2009 2:39:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One more thing, is that I need to be able to qualify the sim speeds of players before starting a game.  I have been in a number of games, where the sim speed of players was 1 at the beginning of the game.  Needless to say, as the game progessed, it became a slideshow.  Too many players are making all players suffer because they chose a map or graphics setting for which their system isn't suitable.

I would be thrilled to see %disconnect, and avg sim speed on the selected map.

After reviewing this message, I see that I'm off topic....sry

September 2, 2009 3:01:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting aalex12,
I agree with Wyatan's and partially The_hunger's ideas (except showng avg. favor points).

Ladder rank doesn't mean anything as well as favor points. Playing support or mainly map control role means you'll get least favor, nevertheless your contribution to team can be the biggest.

there is also teams where favor divided badly.. Ie sedna-UB.. tanking, ganking, dealing a lot damage UB get 140-195 fp and healing, capturing flags and full support sedna usually get 105-130 favor... support not counts there... just pure damage, flag controlling and frag/gold income!

September 2, 2009 11:48:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

first i have to say that i think that making statistics about a players skill is extremely difficult in this game. there are different characters, maps and modes you can play and playing premade generally makes the stats look better. that said i guess that no value can truly and accurately mirror how good one is compared to someone else. every attempt to create a measurement for skill can just end in some sort of approximation. thats why i think that it just shouldnt be done. so i say no to the experience value in the connection window. btw. has anyone ever thought about, that "experience" cant be lost but only gained by playing a game?

ok now to my idea. there are stats available for which demigod usually gets how much xp. assumed, that because of the mass that plays you cant say "only good players play ub", you can take these statistics to normalize the favour points aquired by each player to form some sort of how valuable a player is for a team. that way a player who always plays sedna doesnt look bad compared to some ub playing guy.

i personally like the already proposed set of information:

1) Premade Chance (i like that, but playing against a premade team doesnt tell you anything about how good they are, perhaps they should have the chance to register and be rated as a team)

2) Total Number of Games (it's ok, but everyones learning curve is different)

3) % Wins (its ok, and for me a good indicator, but statistically it only tells you something valuable if there are enough games played and all games were random. besides skill i guess its pushed by: high premade % and when the player always looks for the stats of his teammates so that he only plays with other good players)

additional to that i suggest

4) % disconnects

5) normalized favour points earned per game

and all that tells you not much, if the player plays a character that he has never or just a few times played before!

September 2, 2009 2:27:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When I hop into a lobby I check the following:

• Win rate of the host.
  • If win rate is high, determine whether I am playing a premade by looking at the hosts past games.
  • If host is a premade, look at my teammates win records.
  • If they are reasonable, play game.

Basically, I look at win rate.  It's not perfect but it is a quick an dirty benchmark that works more often than not.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.