The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Getting our butts kicked and loving it

By on August 28, 2009 7:47:52 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Okay, so me, Akil, and Leo got a few 3 on 3 games going. We got our butts kicked a few times. Leo’s laptop went into suspend mode half way through one game so he dropped out. But we got meshed as a team.  We decided to use Skype to interact (even though we’re all in the same lab area).

I tried playing as Sedna. I can see the appeal there in a 4 on 4 game or 5 on 5 but I’m not convinced in a 3 on 3 that having a Sedna is wise because the team lacks the DPS I think to achieve critical mass.

My favorite is the Oak but Leo likes to play as Oak so I tried out Unclean Beast whic I’m a bit of a newbie at. I’m torn between a speed build and a health build.  I will say this, anyone who doesn’t think Demigod has strategic depth should stop playing strategy games now. Having played some good teams today I feel safe in saying that Demigod isn’t just an outstanding game but is one of the best strategy games that’s ever been released for online play. 

I am definitely looking forward to more updates (more Demigods, features, etc.) but I also think that it will take a lot of time for it to be really good as a game where a stranger can just play others. Ready to Play (coming out next month in beta) should help but I tell ya, you get a couple buddies together and play against another group of buddies and you can have crazy levels of fun.

+897 Karma | 22 Replies
August 28, 2009 8:09:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"Demigod isn’t just an outstanding game but is one of the best strategy games that’s ever been released for online play. "

Being an old school gamer myself, i couldn't agree more.  Thanks a lot you guys!

j

August 28, 2009 8:17:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Was alot of fun to kill you today Frogboy

Having played some good teams today I feel safe in saying that Demigod isn’t just an outstanding game but is one of the best strategy games that’s ever been released for online play. 

Yes it is awesome, please push hard and continue to support it!

August 28, 2009 8:26:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What kind of Sedna build were you playing?  And what maps are you planning on playing vs. PCG?  You can have a lot of fun pushing speed with Sedna, running in and pouncing and running out, letting monks heal you, then running in again.  That having been said, I've never had much luck staying in a game that goes long with a Sedna, but I've seen people do it.

I highly recommend getting experience at a few guys, then pick your characters based on what they pick.  For example, if they play minions, UB's ooze can be the MVP.

What's your favor item of choice?  Getting the teleportation amulet as, well, anything in 3v3 lets you jump sides, get exp you'd miss out on otherwise, and really screw with your opponent.

ADDITION EDIT:

On the strategy front - I think what makes Demigod so amazing is the number of strategic decisions you make per minute.  What flag do you focus on?  He's coming at you - run, stay, cap then run?  Have a team mate come help?  Should I upgrade items or creeps?  Looks like Rook's coming over to help - should I chase him any further?  I've played a lot of strategy games where there are really cool options to make your player/team unique, but the number of pressured strategic choices are limited.

August 28, 2009 9:12:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm also curious about the Sedna build you went with Froggy.  She's been my favorite DG for awhile now and I've never felt I should have gone with another, regardless of who my opponents were or the number of players. 

The game is excellent though.  It's just due for that shot of new content, once those DG's start rolling out I expect to see the game get its second wind.

August 28, 2009 9:17:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I went pure healing when I played sedna.

August 28, 2009 9:35:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Trying Sedna with Pounce and then healing as your secondary primary might solve your DPS problems, but still give you enough healing to turn the tide.  I try to use my monks to heal me as much as possible, and only use heal in dire situations.  Adding mage slayer to the build would finish it off nicely.

August 28, 2009 9:36:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Outstanding??? SUPERB!!, AWESOME!, WICKED!

The game has so many layers of tactics... i dont even know where to start!

Best  of all, in the end it's reall Pure FUN!

August 28, 2009 9:48:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I went pure healing when I played sedna.

I too go for a healing build, but the items play a big role.  With Sedna my goal is to avoid having to use heal on myself all that often, saving it for allies or simply rarely using it, because it burns through mana too fast if it is spammed.

My build focuses on her passive strengths by stacking HP, armor and HP regen along with her natural regen (inner grace + healing wind).  Once I hit lvl 5 and can take healling wind 2, my priests (which is the first thing I buy) along with her awesome regen usually become all the healing I need.  The higher in level she goes, the more rediculous her regen becomes.  With this build my tactics revolve around supporting and healing allied DG's, and acting as bait.  I want the enemy to attack me and chase me, not my ally.  I'm heavily armored and often am regening faster than I can be damaged.  Of coarse theres more to the build, some of which hinges on the opponents you're facing.

August 29, 2009 1:43:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I will say this, anyone who doesn’t think Demigod has strategic depth should stop playing strategy games now. Having played some good teams today I feel safe in saying that Demigod isn’t just an outstanding game but is one of the best strategy games that’s ever been released for online play. 

I lol'd at this. Yeah because stacking all items with speed and outrunning everything is all what strategy is about. Theres no cap, just keep stacking speed, you'll never die.

August 29, 2009 1:58:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Invictus,

quoting post

I will say this, anyone who doesn’t think Demigod has strategic depth should stop playing strategy games now. Having played some good teams today I feel safe in saying that Demigod isn’t just an outstanding game but is one of the best strategy games that’s ever been released for online play. 

I lol'd at this. Yeah because stacking all items with speed and outrunning everything is all what strategy is about. Theres no cap, just keep stacking speed, you'll never die.

Because there are obviously no counters to stacking speed

Edited for more Sarcasm.

August 29, 2009 2:06:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Techubus- "I too go for a healing build, but the items play a big role.  With Sedna my goal is to avoid having to use heal on myself all that often, saving it for allies or simply rarely using it, because it burns through mana too fast if it is spammed."

That's the way I typically play her as well, and I find it frustrating when other Sednas *never* heal allies, they just stay in the thick of battle doing poor DPS while their higher DPS teammates get killed.

Like QOT, Sedna doesn't do much damage on her own, but can make her allies into monsters.

August 29, 2009 2:11:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Invictus,

You seriously think your enemy will care that they can't kill you(which is total bull because of slows and stuns). They'll just laugh as they constantly bully you out of your lane because you have half the health they do, and destroy your towers one by one while there isn't **** you can do about it.

August 29, 2009 2:37:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good to see you enjoy playing the game.

[quote quoting="Frogboy"]
I tried playing as Sedna. I can see the appeal there in a 4 on 4 game or 5 on 5 but I’m not convinced in a 3 on 3 that having a Sedna is wise because the team lacks the DPS I think to achieve critical mass.
[/quote]

I would think that this statement does not inspire confidence in Stardock/GPG's understanding of the compeditive ballance of the game. The 2 vs 2 metagame is arguably made up of sedna/unclean beast vs erebus/oak with nothing else being viable. In my opinion the sedna/ub pair define the meta and LE/Oak are the only team that can stand up to this pair.

My understanding of sedna is that she and QoT have the best staying power early game allowing you to force most other demigods out of the lane.

A healing build along the lines of:

Heal1>Healing Wind>Inner Grace>Heal2>Healing Wind2

then getting pounce if you find you need extra dps or get silence and MP making shure you max out heal.

This getting Vlemish Faceguard and the cheep amour along with priest idols makes you verry difficult to kill untill about level 13 and can force most other demigods back (just keep AA them untill they are on low health) unless they are able to interupt heal.

There are better build by other members of the commnity but this one is very strong in 2vs2 and still strong in 3v3.

August 29, 2009 4:07:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nice to hear about SDer's playing again!  Thought the days were gone after the hellish weeks at launch. 

Hope to see you online.  Good luck on the Tuesday game.  Let us know if you want us to login as you and whoop on your opponents.    Can't be that hard for someone at SD to create an extra SD-Frogboy account, eh? 

August 29, 2009 6:53:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I rly love this game, and i think its because its very strategic. BUT plz balance the items a bit m ore (DPS buff, HP nerf), to make it even more strategic. I think without imbalanced items, it is very tactical. Keep on.

August 29, 2009 10:31:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Lessee...

I know Akil is quite good as Reg. Haven't seen him play anything else. I've seen Frog play TB but never in a match where strategy was seriously required. (I tanked two opponents at once with a non-tank build. ) Can't say I've played with Leo. Bara makes a mean UB, though.

My only problem with strategy is that some DGs are useless in many situations. Plus flaglocks are the end-all be-all.

August 29, 2009 3:30:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ur wrong about sedna she is the best dg for 3on3 in maps like prison not so mutch in cataract i hope u felt in your skin the frustration that we all do when the game keeps crashing or the invalid gamestate appears never the less i agree with u dg is one of the best strat game ever

August 30, 2009 3:55:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wip, why would you say that? The 3v3 I played with you, sedna never came up. In fact you chose DPS DGs. You know as well I do (and the fact we played so many games) there are far much better 3v3 team make up than having sedna in the group.

August 30, 2009 4:25:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ggs frogboy.  quite the game we had where u played erebus on cataract.  u guys were winning in warscore and were taking our portals, owning my team.  however we got giants shortly after u guys did and our erebus did sum portal jacking of his own .  you and your sedna were tanking pretty well, made me start putting my next 4 levels into hammer to get some kills.  good luck against pc gamer!

August 30, 2009 12:00:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

posi thats not correct like i said in the map prison the best 3on3 combo would have a sedna but thats just my opinion ofc in cataract it would be dif but in prison i'm pretty sure of this. we played 3on3 but we took the dg's we wanted not the ones for best combo in my opinion on prison the best combo would be oak sedna and ub or oak sedna and erebus probably the second one lol but anyways thats just my opinion and only in prison

August 30, 2009 1:19:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Would love to see the replays.

August 30, 2009 6:10:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Brads out pugging about today.  Got a chance to play w him.  He's got a pretty good erebus.  See if you can catch him... think he's stilling pugging even now!  US) Frogboy's 3 on 3 fun! (USA) (no premade)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000343   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.