The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Preview: Oculus

By on August 24, 2009 10:48:11 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

009_hero_oculus

Some people had guessed Oculus since there were the beginnings of him in some of the LUA XML inside of Demigod itself.  Some of the concept was there but none of the actual assets had been created (that’s what’s being done now).

The idea with Oculus is to have a general that has some ranged weaponry.  In some ways, Oculus is a new type of general in that existing minions you acquire actually provide specific benefit to him.

Now, with regards to the release of the 2 new free demigod add-ons, we are hoping to show something at PAX but the actual character models are still being finished up so it’s looking unlikely that we’ll be able to show anything before the end of the month).  But we’ll be putting up more and more details as the assets start to come in.

Overview and Traits

Oculus is a Ranged General fighting for the Forces of Light. He wields a staff that shoots magical bolts.

Oculus is an offensive general using lightning for various effects. His Chain Lightning can arc through the enemy’s ranks, and he summons ball lighting that battle for a short period of time before exploding. He aids his allies by healing them when he takes significant damage, and he can restore their mana.

Oculus has significant magical skill, but a great deal of his power comes from synergy with his army.

Abilities

Chain Lightning – Key 1

Activated ability. Oculus unleashes a bolt of lightning that arcs to nearby enemies. Damage and number of arcs increases as the skill increases.

Electrocution

Enemies afflicted by Chain Lightning cannot regenerate health or mana for a short amount of time.

Blast Off! – Key 2

Activated ability. Oculus releases lightning underneath his throne, knocking back enemies at the start and landing points, and launching himself to a new position.

Ball Lightning – Key 3

Activated ability. Oculus selects a target end location. He summons ball lightning that will move to that location, fighting anything along the way. Number and strength of ball lightning increases as the skill increases. At later ranks, Ball Lightning will increase the attack speed of nearby allies.

Explosive End

Ball Lightning explodes when it dies, damaging nearby enemies.

Mana Surge – Ultimate – Key 4

Activated ability. Oculus restores a target Demigod’s mana.

Mental Agility

The target of Oculus’ Mana Surge has reduced cooldown time.

Passive abilities

Sacrifice

When Oculus takes a large single hit, he heals nearby allies based on the strength of the hit.

King of the Minotaurs

Minions summoned by idols give Oculus increased attributes. Minotaur Captains increase his health. Siege Archers increase his weapon damage. Priests increase his mana.

Lightning Blast

All allies near Oculus have a chance on hit to blast lightning at their opponent, dealing minor area damage.

Locked Post 102 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 25, 2009 8:11:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok. The two previews look nice enough. Now I am playing the waiting game until they or any other significant update arrives. That'll be the day I start playing DG again.

August 25, 2009 8:23:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

There is a reason why it is called Ball Lightning, it already has a name in the english language

This new DG looks cool, some interesting abilities.

I wonder too how the balance will work out, replenishing health and mana in a team may be a little too strong, would allow some nasty combos.

August 25, 2009 4:13:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Edit...

August 25, 2009 4:19:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sinzer,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

There is a reason why it is called Ball Lightning, it already has a name in the english language

Duh, I knew that since I was 12. However a real ball lightning doesn't fight creeps, so why bother to give it the name? Better make it sound cool, so people actually have the guts to use it. I can already imagine the "gaaaaaaaaaay" comments on an Oculus "ball lightning" build

August 25, 2009 5:51:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I knew it!

August 25, 2009 7:22:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

don't really know what to say about the lightning ball i mean yeah your right maybe a different name if it "fights" creep's but it is a Ball of Lightning...so what other name's could they come up with eh lol sphere Lightning?

August 25, 2009 7:57:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Call it tofu for all I care, anything is more exciting than "ball".

August 25, 2009 8:52:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting twifightDG,
Call it tofu for all I care, anything is more exciting than "ball".
Dull lightning? Boring lightning?

August 25, 2009 10:06:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So... due to homophobia ball should be excluded from the name? 

August 26, 2009 1:22:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i dont like the idea of a character moving around on his massive throne.but the character himself looks kool.

the benefits he gains from the idols he summons, should apply to ALL generals imo. Maybe then id use their minion side.

cant wait till they get in game.

August 26, 2009 1:48:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well befor we all start flaming the new dg even more lets just wait n see how he looks in-game eh?

August 26, 2009 9:09:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Duh, I knew that since I was 12. However a real ball lightning doesn't fight creeps, so why bother to give it the name?

Does Sphere Lightning sound that much better?

Surely, Big Ass Lektrocution Lightning Spheres would be much better and can be appropriately abbreviated for the build, giving some homage to the original name.

August 26, 2009 12:06:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Would be awesome if he would get 1-2 more minions out of each idol, since those are the only ones he gets that stay till they get killed

August 26, 2009 7:50:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TknTnT,
Would be awesome if he would get 1-2 more minions out of each idol, since those are the only ones he gets that stay till they get killed

If the ball doesn't follow him around after it heads to it's targeted destination (doesn't sound like it does), then I actually like this idea.

August 28, 2009 7:26:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Totally agree that a general without his own minions is a little bit lame. yeh he gets better with IDOLs, but OAK gets better with his summoned ones AND can have idols to top it off.

Seems to me this general is more of an assassin with idols really.

August 28, 2009 7:38:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why is that a bad thing?

August 28, 2009 9:15:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Because there is an assassin demigod on the way as well, so it will be 6 assassins and 4 generals ?

Generals are the pushers of the game, and pushing with just idols will be next to impossible cuz he only got morale as a buff-skill.

August 30, 2009 8:38:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting floodiastus,
Because there is an assassin demigod on the way as well, so it will be 6 assassins and 4 generals ?

Generals are the pushers of the game, and pushing with just idols will be next to impossible cuz he only got morale as a buff-skill.

I think it's great that Oculus will end up being a different kind of General. Playing as Oculus will just have to rely on idols more, but that's just fine because Idols will give Oculus stat buffs, something you could only get through armor or weapons normally. So while other generals would have to sacrife stat boosts for minions when they buy idols, Oculus can get both. The fact that he has no unique minions in his skill tree is what balances it out. Enhance Attributes/Morale are never a big deal, just fillers for the purest builds. But that's not to say a full Idol set up with Oculus wouldn't be effective.

I'm definitely more excited about Oculus than that new warpy Unlcean beast coming out

August 31, 2009 5:21:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree.

Besides what's wrong with a general not relying 100% on minions. You can also make non-minion builds with all the other generals if you prefer. And you can probably still make a minion build with Oculus. I like a different slice of pie.

August 31, 2009 6:34:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Actually morale is a big deal with minion builds.

But as you say, sure you can make him with that 1 build, minions to support his attacks (Send em back to base and use mana for his abilities instead). But how it is a good thing that a general has the worst minion-build of all I cannot really understand It will be a one-trick pony this general.

August 31, 2009 7:08:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What makes you think it's a bad minion general? That will only decided by balance, which you don't know about yet. A demigod can do 75% of the damage himself and 25% by the minions, the other way around, get 50% of the damage by 2 minions, get 50% by 8 minions, there is so much to vary. I don't know how you seem to know already how having few minions makes this demigod bad per definition.

August 31, 2009 7:44:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting floodiastus,
Totally agree that a general without his own minions is a little bit lame. yeh he gets better with IDOLs, but OAK gets better with his summoned ones AND can have idols to top it off.

Seems to me this general is more of an assassin with idols really.

his ball lightning are his minions though. from the description atleast im thinking they are summoned and fight everything in a path till they reach the end of where the spell was cast

August 31, 2009 9:28:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Meh, doesn't impress me on paper(figuratively speaking).

PS: But thanks for caring about your community and game so much!

August 31, 2009 9:41:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pimp shit.

September 1, 2009 12:03:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Whats wrong with ball lightning? Sounds fine with me

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000282   Page Render Time: