The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Preview: Oculus

By on August 24, 2009 10:48:11 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

009_hero_oculus

Some people had guessed Oculus since there were the beginnings of him in some of the LUA XML inside of Demigod itself.  Some of the concept was there but none of the actual assets had been created (that’s what’s being done now).

The idea with Oculus is to have a general that has some ranged weaponry.  In some ways, Oculus is a new type of general in that existing minions you acquire actually provide specific benefit to him.

Now, with regards to the release of the 2 new free demigod add-ons, we are hoping to show something at PAX but the actual character models are still being finished up so it’s looking unlikely that we’ll be able to show anything before the end of the month).  But we’ll be putting up more and more details as the assets start to come in.

Overview and Traits

Oculus is a Ranged General fighting for the Forces of Light. He wields a staff that shoots magical bolts.

Oculus is an offensive general using lightning for various effects. His Chain Lightning can arc through the enemy’s ranks, and he summons ball lighting that battle for a short period of time before exploding. He aids his allies by healing them when he takes significant damage, and he can restore their mana.

Oculus has significant magical skill, but a great deal of his power comes from synergy with his army.

Abilities

Chain Lightning – Key 1

Activated ability. Oculus unleashes a bolt of lightning that arcs to nearby enemies. Damage and number of arcs increases as the skill increases.

Electrocution

Enemies afflicted by Chain Lightning cannot regenerate health or mana for a short amount of time.

Blast Off! – Key 2

Activated ability. Oculus releases lightning underneath his throne, knocking back enemies at the start and landing points, and launching himself to a new position.

Ball Lightning – Key 3

Activated ability. Oculus selects a target end location. He summons ball lightning that will move to that location, fighting anything along the way. Number and strength of ball lightning increases as the skill increases. At later ranks, Ball Lightning will increase the attack speed of nearby allies.

Explosive End

Ball Lightning explodes when it dies, damaging nearby enemies.

Mana Surge – Ultimate – Key 4

Activated ability. Oculus restores a target Demigod’s mana.

Mental Agility

The target of Oculus’ Mana Surge has reduced cooldown time.

Passive abilities

Sacrifice

When Oculus takes a large single hit, he heals nearby allies based on the strength of the hit.

King of the Minotaurs

Minions summoned by idols give Oculus increased attributes. Minotaur Captains increase his health. Siege Archers increase his weapon damage. Priests increase his mana.

Lightning Blast

All allies near Oculus have a chance on hit to blast lightning at their opponent, dealing minor area damage.

+897 Karma | 102 Replies
September 7, 2009 12:48:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think Oculus sounds like one of the more interesting DGs, actually. I think that making idols important to its stats is an interesting approach to trying to convince people to stop suicding their minions.

I do have one issue though, I think that a few too many of his abilities have effects which are too specialized. I prefer Oak's approach, where you really only have one ability which is completely dependent on another to function at all, and that one is actually a bit more involved than it appears, since it makes spirit maintenance a bit more involved and adds depth to the character.

Take Electrocution for example. Why not have it also affect targets hit by Explosive End?

September 19, 2009 9:45:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

SCREENSHOTS PLS !!!!!!!!!

September 27, 2009 8:48:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Interesting ability tree, but not sure about the floaty throne idea - seems too static (excuse the pun). Also possibly because the powers make me think of Raiden from Mortal Kombat.

However, I imagine the in-game impression could be quite different - eg with a continuous Tesla coil effect I guess the throne could be quite cool. Can' t wait to see the finished product!

October 1, 2009 12:59:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Seems pretty cookie cutter except for "King of the Minotaurs" and ball lightning+its passive buff.

And King of the Minotaurs would be way nicer as an item for all generals.  Oh well.

October 1, 2009 2:07:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I approve.

Make it so Number One !

October 9, 2009 12:48:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

can you say zeus wanna be?

nice!

October 30, 2009 6:22:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The floating throne is a great idea, makes him different from other DGs. I just really hope he doesn't just sit there motionless, but gets up every once in a while to stretch or cast spells. Also, I really don't see how the combo Occulus/Sedna/UB (or DA for even greater damage) can be beat, it's a deadly one.

And of course big thanks to the developers for continuing to support the game and bring new content.

October 30, 2009 7:52:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the synergy with a sedna seems awsome.

October 30, 2009 10:18:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I may be the only one here, but the old version of Occulus also seem a good idea....apart from luring others to fall of ledges.

November 4, 2009 1:03:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

does anyone else think he looks like a tauren from warcraft 3? lol

November 4, 2009 6:44:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting snoreski,

Looks like?

Looks identicle. I think they were going for the tauren look.

But I don't think blizzard owns the rights to the idea of a tauren, it might just be a mythical creature from fiction?

November 4, 2009 10:09:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you mean the minotaur.....nope blizzard did not invent minotaurs

November 5, 2009 5:11:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Neither did they with trolls, gnomes, orcs, centaurs (the barren), etc Blizzard isn't holy, neither do they pretend to be, but the younger generation sees all of that stuff for the first time in Blizzard games

I still dig Oculus but they need to hurry the f up.

November 5, 2009 7:27:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting twifightDG,
Neither did they with trolls, gnomes, orcs, centaurs (the barren), etc Blizzard isn't holy, neither do they pretend to be, but the younger generation sees all of that stuff for the first time in Blizzard games

agreed good sir

November 5, 2009 12:37:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Gorets,
The floating throne is a great idea, makes him different from other DGs. [...].

Yeah it's very original. It totally doesn't reminds me of Queen of thorns and her somewhat seat.

November 5, 2009 2:21:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think they're quite different. 

November 10, 2009 12:38:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting twifightDG,

The parents don't try and teach them anything about mythology

November 16, 2009 8:13:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey guys is it me or does this ancient Greek bust of a minotaur look suspiciously like one of Blizzard's taurens? Why are the ancient Greeks always ripping off Blizz's ideas?

November 20, 2009 9:07:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting obscenitor,
Reduced 24%Original 1200 x 1812Hey guys is it me or does this ancient Greek bust of a minotaur look suspiciously like one of Blizzard's taurens? Why are the ancient Greeks always ripping off Blizz's ideas?
Your crew have more fags than greek mythology

J/k

November 20, 2009 11:38:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Occulus is going to need some buffs. The "Ball of Lightning" are very annoying. I fail to understand the point of them attacking everything on the way to the location given by you, as you can select them manually and change their orders. They will however resume their path after that. They also prefer attacking creeps for some reason (over about anything else). Their damage is extremly weak,  almost useless. The Ulitmate is really strong however, possibly to strong, as it does AoE damage.

The mana giving spell costs almost the amout it gives. I'd rather see this at reduced cost but on the other hand the Occulus should not be able to cast this on himself (for obvious reasons).

The other skills seem ok. King of the Minotaur might require some tweaking away from health/mana (-) to damage (+).

November 22, 2009 9:55:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

agree on balls

they seem totally useless, first i dont like the pet costing mana, oak and erebus are OP even cause of having minions free that will make oculus less generallish and more pointed to no pets and just offense

the buffs provided are "decent" imo too small for a general full pet spec

overall it seems still too good, the casts are really powerfull, all aoe based, very strong

the recharge is good too, you have to consider often ppl goes and come from base so maybe oculus comes with full mana and can spare to others making them fight more

November 23, 2009 9:47:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmmm, out of curiousity, does Oculus get health from EACH of the minotaurs seperately, or does having just one minotaur alive give him the health as if he had both out?

In class right now, I can't check ^^

DaBRUM

November 23, 2009 11:21:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ball Lightning needs a major overhaul. Its damage is pitiful and they cant even attack towers. Sending them on a path is stupid when you can select them. They need to do a lot more damage to make them worthwhile considering a Minotaur minion from the shop does more damage and they dont die after a while

Oculus gets health from both btw DaBRUM. But its a bit of a meh ability because it means if you lose all your minions you can suddenly be low on health and run out of mana. Its a good idea, just needs tweaked I think.

Chain Lightning seems ok. The fact it chains is very handy but the later version of it seems a bit weak compared to the start. Maybe increase the damage at the end to 800/750 and decrease it to 200 at the start

Lightning blast needs a buff. Increase the percentage to 5, 10, 15. And increase power to 50, 100, 150. (currently something like 3, 7, 10 and 50, 75, 100)

And Sacrifice needs to give a small percentage of damage back to Oculus

Blast Off could do with either a damage increase or longer range because using it to attack is daft since Oculus is a ranged character so getting close to the combat is a smart idea

Quoting snoreski,

I loled. Then I realised he was serious. Then I felt embarressed by what video games have done to the world

November 23, 2009 12:47:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting _Golgoth_,

I loled. Then I realised he was serious. Then I felt embarressed by what video games have done to the world

QFFT.

January 11, 2010 10:25:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Blackboard says: Hurrrry Up.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.