The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Preview: Oculus

By on August 24, 2009 10:48:11 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

009_hero_oculus

Some people had guessed Oculus since there were the beginnings of him in some of the LUA XML inside of Demigod itself.  Some of the concept was there but none of the actual assets had been created (that’s what’s being done now).

The idea with Oculus is to have a general that has some ranged weaponry.  In some ways, Oculus is a new type of general in that existing minions you acquire actually provide specific benefit to him.

Now, with regards to the release of the 2 new free demigod add-ons, we are hoping to show something at PAX but the actual character models are still being finished up so it’s looking unlikely that we’ll be able to show anything before the end of the month).  But we’ll be putting up more and more details as the assets start to come in.

Overview and Traits

Oculus is a Ranged General fighting for the Forces of Light. He wields a staff that shoots magical bolts.

Oculus is an offensive general using lightning for various effects. His Chain Lightning can arc through the enemy’s ranks, and he summons ball lighting that battle for a short period of time before exploding. He aids his allies by healing them when he takes significant damage, and he can restore their mana.

Oculus has significant magical skill, but a great deal of his power comes from synergy with his army.

Abilities

Chain Lightning – Key 1

Activated ability. Oculus unleashes a bolt of lightning that arcs to nearby enemies. Damage and number of arcs increases as the skill increases.

Electrocution

Enemies afflicted by Chain Lightning cannot regenerate health or mana for a short amount of time.

Blast Off! – Key 2

Activated ability. Oculus releases lightning underneath his throne, knocking back enemies at the start and landing points, and launching himself to a new position.

Ball Lightning – Key 3

Activated ability. Oculus selects a target end location. He summons ball lightning that will move to that location, fighting anything along the way. Number and strength of ball lightning increases as the skill increases. At later ranks, Ball Lightning will increase the attack speed of nearby allies.

Explosive End

Ball Lightning explodes when it dies, damaging nearby enemies.

Mana Surge – Ultimate – Key 4

Activated ability. Oculus restores a target Demigod’s mana.

Mental Agility

The target of Oculus’ Mana Surge has reduced cooldown time.

Passive abilities

Sacrifice

When Oculus takes a large single hit, he heals nearby allies based on the strength of the hit.

King of the Minotaurs

Minions summoned by idols give Oculus increased attributes. Minotaur Captains increase his health. Siege Archers increase his weapon damage. Priests increase his mana.

Lightning Blast

All allies near Oculus have a chance on hit to blast lightning at their opponent, dealing minor area damage.

Locked Post 102 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 24, 2009 2:32:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Aeris130,
Does this mean we'll finally be able to see our allies mana? Otherwise...

This comment wins

August 24, 2009 2:40:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like him! He looks sweet.

August 24, 2009 2:46:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

way cooler looking than the assassin. I'm a little confused with the ball lighning. when it say it "fights" do you mean it acts like a normal minion, or does it act like ball lightning, just moving in a straight line and hitting things that are near it. also, can it be killed?

August 24, 2009 3:23:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, this guy looks great.  One of the best things about Demigod is how imaginative its character design is.  He looks fun to play too.

August 24, 2009 3:50:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

His throne is acutally a saturn 5 rocket it disguise hell yeah.

August 24, 2009 4:18:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds different - I like him.

Both of the new Demigods sound like fun to play.

I hope we might see similar previews for new maps as well. Anyway, should be good.

August 24, 2009 4:19:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I reckon he should be able to upgrade the Minotaurs around him into Mintoaur Beserkers that join with him that he can control

Giving a limit on how many he can control with each level

Or just be able to upgrade them. I just wanna see the minotaurs mean something

August 24, 2009 4:41:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I really like this style of General. I always thought controling a horde of minions in Demigod was more of a chore, and half of the Generals don't even use their unique minions. A General with no unique minions  that gets stat bonuses from idols sounds great. It's more of an Assassin/General Hybrid. Idols giving stat bonuses that an Assassin would normally get from just getting more gear. Althought he is still obviously a support class. If Blast off doesn't do damage this guy doesn't seem to have much spike damage capability. Althought the Mana Surge sounds excellent. I know I've had to run back to the crystal a few times when I go OOM. This may be the first General I play regularly.

Blast Off! – Key 2

Activated ability. Oculus releases lightning underneath his throne, knocking back enemies at the start and landing points, and launching himself to a new position.

Hmm...looks like this guy has the counter to Shadow Swap. Swap with him and he can just blast right back.

August 24, 2009 4:51:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I love that the new DG's are creative esp in appearance.  Not the typical re-hash.  Major kudos for creativity!

August 24, 2009 5:09:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

looks great just like all the other demigods! i dont usually play generals i like my UB and TB more, but ill defintall make an exception for this guy

August 24, 2009 5:25:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The two new gods sound good, hopefully we will all be able to play them sometime between now and 2010

August 24, 2009 5:28:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol Con thats exactly what i was thinking the counter to the famous SS skill indeed no doubt were soon to have a flame war about the skills?

August 24, 2009 6:15:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Somehow it reminds me on this

Anyway, just kidding

August 24, 2009 7:23:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds like fun!

August 24, 2009 7:36:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think I found a new favorite Demigod! I like the concept of Generals and was trying to learn how to play as the Queen of Thorns before, but I always loved the concept of electric based attacks.

August 24, 2009 7:49:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like this, but i am already dreading having to face an Oculus and a Sedna playing together. A Sedna with even more mana, thus even more heals......Damn....

These two following a UB around will be a haunting experiance....

Nice work tho guys...

Oh yeah btw...The flying throne = WIN.

August 24, 2009 8:09:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A couple of people have said this general doesn't have non-idol minions. But he does. The ball lightning is his minion. He summons it, and it fights for him until it dies, at which point it explodes.

August 24, 2009 8:20:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds good, sounds more minion synergistic than the other generals, and I personally like that he's floating on his throne!

If that mana surge ability does mean we will be seeing our allies mana, please, please make sure it's only our allies mana we can see.

August 24, 2009 8:49:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Speusippus,
A couple of people have said this general doesn't have non-idol minions. But he does. The ball lightning is his minion. He summons it, and it fights for him until it dies, at which point it explodes.

Eh, you target it like an ability and it hits everything in it's path pretty much. A Minion implies something more permanent. Something you can control.

August 24, 2009 10:31:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wow looks rly nice, i actully like the throne. when he dies he should blast off into space.

August 24, 2009 10:38:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Remiel,
Sounds good, sounds more minion synergistic than the other generals, and I personally like that he's floating on his throne!

If that mana surge ability does mean we will be seeing our allies mana, please, please make sure it's only our allies mana we can see.

i belive you target an area not a demigod/unit and it fights/attacks the things in its path there. Its a short term minion that can suicide bomb

whoops meant to quote Connatic sorry about that

August 25, 2009 12:48:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good stuff!

I have to agree that I am not a fan of the floating chair.  Perhaps rather than a floating chair it would be cool if he walked or maybe hovered with lightning like TB.  Then in a flash he could teleport rather than "blast off."

I really like the idea of a big walking electric minitour. Floating chair just seems a bit clunky and lazy imo.

All in all though it looks like fun.

Thanks to the devs and their hard work on this.

August 25, 2009 1:29:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Neilo,
I like this, but i am already dreading having to face an Oculus and a Sedna playing together. A Sedna with even more mana, thus even more heals......Damn....

These two following a UB around will be a haunting experiance....

Nice work tho guys...

Oh yeah btw...The flying throne = WIN.

Yeah, I think UB + Sedna + Occulus is going to be your new 3 man team, and in 4v4 it's those three + Erebus/Oak/Assassin.

August 25, 2009 6:59:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks good, a bit silly ability names though... I mean... Ball Lightning isn't that cool.

August 25, 2009 7:04:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Aye sphere sounds much better.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000515   Page Render Time: