The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Creator on Original Games

By on August 18, 2009 7:53:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums External Link

Trigeminal

Join Date 07/2008
+89

The above link contains some info referencing demigod.  Would be nice if the creators (GPG) every posted anything here.

August 18, 2009 - The European Game Developers Conference 2009 continued Tuesday in Cologne, Germany, with sessions from a number of new development speakers, including Chris Taylor, founder and CEO of Gas Powered Games, who presented attendees with his insight into the process of creating original intellectual property. He also referenced his studio's latest work, Demigod.

Chris Taylor began his session with a brief history of his career. He started in computer and videogames in 1980 and went to work for Electronic Arts Canada in 1988. In 1995, Taylor said he made $250,000 working for EA. In 1997, he designed Total Annihilation, inspired by Command & Conquer. He started Gas Powered Games in May of 1998. "The idea was that I was going to create something very, very original," he said. He eventually released Dungeon Siege. In 2007, Gas Powered Games debuted Supreme Commander, which cost $11 million to make and sold more than a million units. And in 2009, the developer released Demigod.

"Why is creating new IP so hard?" he asked and then answered his own question. "Because it's not about creating it. It's about selling it."

Taylor said that now, 42, he's just started to realize that maybe people don't want to come home from a hard day of work and dig into some ridiculously hardcore game that's going to mentally beat the hell out of them.

He noted that he thinks "the iPhone is changing everything" and made several suggestions to developers, such as making their games accessible. And then he joked, "Despite all of this, we made Demigod."

According to Taylor, the future is bright for something new -- casual games like Peggle, for example. "And, of course, my favorite, the poster child is iPhone," he said. He also thinks Xbox Live Arcade is another great platform. "If you do something really, really incredible on Live Arcade, PlayStation or iPhone, you can build it up and take it somewhere." He cited World of Goo as an example.

11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 18, 2009 11:57:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Im sure every1 who replys to this there msgs will b deleted or edited

August 19, 2009 4:55:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Love you too, GPG.

August 19, 2009 9:20:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I often forget GPG even did anything with Demigod.  It is really sad their absolute lack of presence, both now and duuring the beta.  It really is a shame that they have not made the same comittment as SD, because this is one of my fave games ever.

August 19, 2009 10:58:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ye it is a bit sad. Direct contact with the developers is always the best. However I think SD are doing a great job as a replacement.

August 19, 2009 11:03:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Esuzu,
Ye it is a bit sad. Direct contact with the developers is always the best. However I think SD are doing a great job as a replacement.

Yes SD is doing a great job.  I just hope GPG is not faultering on its support.  Like I said, I love this game.  I want GPG to want to support it.  They have always stated they did not support games due to dev houses not paying or wanting any post-launch support.  This game is SO good and deserves a long term support.  I will pay for expnasion/stand-alone expansions if they continue to improve an already great game with a few problems.  I guess I just want to hear GPG say they care about this IP and will improve it.  I feel like brad is holding a gun (legal contract) to their head to get anything done.  Just my feelings, which I sincerely hope are not true.

August 19, 2009 11:54:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demigod not accessible? It seems completely aimed at the casual players...

August 19, 2009 12:13:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ItchyDustbin,
Demigod not accessible? It seems completely aimed at the casual players...

I thought the same thing.  Thus why I posted this.  That and the fact that this is the first article with GPG mentioning DG since release.

August 19, 2009 12:23:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Chris Taylor,
"The idea was that I was going to create something very, very original," he said. He eventually released Dungeon Siege

I've enjoyed all of his games. But very very original? All of the games listed in the quote are very similiar to prior released games.

August 19, 2009 3:11:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There have been other gpg and demigod related articles.  The Mike Marr interview in April talked alot about Demigod and gpg. 

The Intel Chris Taylor video interview around June talking about using some intel related code in Demigod. 

August 19, 2009 4:17:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Blitz64,
There have been other gpg and demigod related articles.  The Mike Marr interview in April talked alot about Demigod and gpg. 

Release was in April.

Quoting Blitz64,

The Intel Chris Taylor video interview around June talking about using some intel related code in Demigod. 

Didn't know that, was it good/interesting?  Do you have a link?

August 19, 2009 8:57:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

lol at the them "creating" intellectual property with this.  GOOD ONE!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2015 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.