The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

New Map Idea: Sky (with pics and video)

By on July 26, 2009 6:54:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums External Link

TheScottish...

Join Date 04/2009
+81

this idea is actualy inspired by someone a few days ago (can't remember their name or which thread it was in so you'r the one who posted a similar idea few days ago let me know and i'll give u the inspiration credit) basicly they suggested a map that was floating on bodies of land similar to the 2nd age in Crono Trigger.

i tried a similar idea long time ago but it tunred into out really bad (those interested cna see it HERE but i warn u its not very good) so this time i took all my new skills and experiance and put them to good use:

New Map Idea: Sky

# of Players

6-8 players (3v3 or 4v4)

Mode

All Modes (particularly Dominations since there are a lot of flags)

Basic

(Note: this might be the first map to be balanced but not 100% semetrical, dispit the shape neither light nor darkhave the advantage)

Size

Larger than Cataract, maybe as big as Exile or Laviathan

Appearnace

Like mentioned this map if floating in the sky on large bodies of land.  for those who haven't played Crono Trigger this is what it would look like (--->) the background would be a big blue sky with SFX'd clouds swirling around the map and between the islands.  it help visualization and help me practise my modeling here is the 3Ds Max model i did up: (\/)

on top of that here is a video i did of the model so u can see the volume of it:

Pathing

Pathing actualy involves the use of the TelePortals however those are explained further down... for now here is the picture of the pathing:

(there are actualy only two portals that spawn one wave each that move together down the map, similar to Crucible)

Towers

Here are the towers.. the green neutral building in the middle are explained below in the flag section:

Special Flags

Notice in the Tower picture that there are 2 green neutral Trebuches in the middle with a flag next to them.  this flag controlls these structures which will then start attacking the enemy and their towers.

TelePortal Layout

before explaingin what the TelePortals are or what they do here is the layout of the portals on the map:

What are TelePortals?

TelePortals would look something like this (-->).  their basic function are to teleport Demigods/Grunts and Minons to a sibling portal.  the portal is a 2 way open door and can be owned (if attached to a flag) or neutral. 

Details on the TelePortal:

• If owned only that team can use the TelPortal but if neutral then it is open to anyone.  
  • Works by standing still the swirling water of the TelePortal for 3 secs (think Engineers Teleporter in TF2) at which point you (and everything else within 3 unts of the Portal) are telelported to the other portal.
  • To prevent abuse the TelePortals have a cooldown (around 15 secs) which means that after teleporting a group the portal remains in active for 15 secs before being able to teleport another group.  
  • Orb at the top of the TelePortal indicateds (with red or green) if the portal is ready to be used or not.
  • Teleportation (or the activation time) can be broken by moving, using spells, or getting stunned.

below is the portal paths for the map:

Special Rules

- Portal H is controlled by a flag meaning only when the portal on the top H is controlled can the controlling team move through the TelePortal

Conclusion

Thats it for the map... feedback is always welcome and appreciated.  looking for sume suggestions on ideas for the flags so if u have an idea post it up. thanx for reading

Locked Post 22 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 26, 2009 7:05:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

another cool idea by TheScottishAlien

July 26, 2009 7:07:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting StAcK3D_ActR,
another cool idea by the insane TheScottishAlien

Fixed.

July 26, 2009 7:12:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't like the notion of a map that big (as you said, Exile/Leviathan sized) with only one lane.  Maybe if there were one-way or side-specific (only light can use or vice versa) portals to get into the middle islands from the citadel.

I generally like having a single Gold Mine flag in the middle (a la Prison) and dislike the increase damage flag.  I hate when the only thing a flag does is give you an Artifact Shop (I don't like the idea of a randomly placed artifact shop to begin with - just keep it at each citadel like Exile, please).

Since I think it creates an interesting dynamic in Exile, perhaps put a Health Crystal flag in the middle of the large mid island?

July 26, 2009 7:40:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Otherwise great idea, but:

Quoting ,

Details on the TelePortal:
To prevent abuse the TelePortals have a cooldown (around 15 secs) which means that after teleporting a group the portal remains in active for 15 secs before being able to teleport another group.  
Orb at the top of the TelePortal indicateds (with red or green) if the portal is ready to be used or not.
Teleportation (or the activation time) can be broken by moving, using spells, or getting stunned.

Would this mean that if a chasing demigod doesn't interrupt in time or get in range in time the chasee would just get away?

July 26, 2009 7:58:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I read that part that Drake-Cid quoted, but didn't think to comment on it.

Instead of making the portal shut down for everyone, maybe make it so when a Demigod goes through the portal, that Demigod cannot use a portal for ~5 seconds (time can be adjusted by the developers for whatever they think is best).  It prevents a Demigod from skipping back and forth on the portal, but at least it doesn't make a portal a free escape ability.

July 27, 2009 12:48:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh shit...this would be very cool!!!!

July 27, 2009 3:22:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BOWS DOWN!

July 27, 2009 1:49:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks pretty hot. Community maps just can't come soon enough.

July 27, 2009 4:18:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I really like the idea of this map. 

I just worry that it may be much easier SAID than DONE when it comes to the engineering of the portals and landscape and etc.

July 28, 2009 12:14:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

from what i understand of how to create maps i think it won't be that hard.  the portals will take a bit of coding but i think its a simple "if X person staying within y units for Z secs then move all units within y units to a location" (maybe)  as for terrain its shousl be easy to that two since the ground has a Y coordinate so structures and collisions can be moved up or down depending on the island its on (for ease of creation, all the islands are 20 units above or below each other)

once modding comes out and i've gotten the hang of map creation i'll definately give this one a shot... but might need some help with TelePortals.

@Primal Zed and Drake-Cid

still in debate about the fine details about how they work.  i like the idea of making the cool down seperate for each person.  an idea to enforce this would be a buff that effects those exiting the portal for 15 sec (call it "Teleportation Sickness" and make it so they can't teleport till removed ,scrolls included)

if anyone else has any suggestions for the TelePortals let me know

July 28, 2009 1:56:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey Scottie!

Go read this: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/360013/page/1/#replies

Especially the last part... we have hope!

Made a model of a teleporter, used the portal as a base (if you can't tell)

Teleport

August 2, 2009 6:07:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
nice idea. would like to see this ingame, too! great stuff you are producing man! and a lots of information about it.
August 3, 2009 10:59:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You definetly have some cool ideas going on here. Would love to play test anyhing you've done when modding is coming to town.

August 3, 2009 4:30:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If a map editor is never released TheScottishAlien had better get some kind of compensation, this man is a creative genius and he's using it all on this game with no confirmed map editor. 

August 3, 2009 5:19:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ItchyDustbin,
If a map editor is never released TheScottishAlien had better get some kind of compensation, this man is a creative genius and he's using it all on this game with no confirmed map editor. 

Modding support that allows you to make your own maps was confirmed over a week ago.

August 3, 2009 5:28:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yea modding has been confirmed but tis all goiong to be pretty programming heavy...  which is why i'm spending more of my time trying to figure out .lua and .scmap files at the moment rather than posting up more ideas. 

if SD/GPG want to hire me on i'll be more than happy to accept but since all i have going for me is that i'm a "creative genius" (thank you for the compliment ItchyDustbin ) i don't see that happening.  pretty sure my programming skills need to be top notch too before people even begin to think about compensating my work .

August 4, 2009 9:08:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sweet, can we get Carrack's notes on each different portal area?  Where do we train past level 15 on this map?  I hope the enemies drop Obsidians!

(The image he posted is for MM3, Isles of Terra).

Some actual content: I like the idea of 'pathways' on a map that are controlled by flags.  I think that is probably the most important concept being shown here.  However, let us consider it in a different light: Sidepaths.

For instance, consider the two paths in Exile that house the gold mines.  Let us say for arguments sake, that capturing the gold mine also unlocks a door that allows your team, and only your team, to continue down the path to the other lane.  If you do not have the flag, not only is your team blocked out from one side, but if you try to take the path, you must take additional time to capture the flag.

The idea is that these are not grunt pathable areas anyway, so you can play with the pathing through the area.  It would add additional tactical importance to locations on a map, even without strong stat boost effects. Also allow for interesting map control strategies.

Anyhow, as usual Scotty, you have an interesting idea for a map. Kudos.

August 4, 2009 9:23:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Scot, if you want any help with the programming side of things, feel free to give me a ping about it. I've not used scmap before, but I have some experience in lua, training in computer graphics, and I'm a software engineer by profession.

edit: while i'm sitting here bragging about myself, I should clarify that by 'training in computer graphics', I don't mean in regards to art.  I've only limited success at modeling anything myself, but I know how to use OpenGL and moderate positions and position vectors

August 6, 2009 5:43:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What about a map with 3 portals and 3 paths for armies?

August 7, 2009 11:39:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thats so sick...good

August 7, 2009 11:52:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks fun

August 11, 2009 2:29:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Based off of the Kingdom of Zeal, heh, that's awesome :3

Question though, would Erebus (and that new Demon Assassin guy) be able to teleport to the other platforms using their abilities? ex: Erebus' bat swarm ability let's him cross gaps in other arenas.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time: