The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Vasari VS Covenant

Who wins?

By on July 25, 2009 2:08:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't have much to say on it as I'm quite exhausted.

I'd love to see what you guys think of it.

0 Karma | 55 Replies
November 8, 2009 2:02:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

15min after that, Darth Vader showed up and sodomized master chief with his lightsaber while shouting, "I'M the original bad-ass cyborg! Now take it like a man!"

November 8, 2009 9:22:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

first of all i like both games. second halo is a largr franchise. the unsc dosent use just on man and everybody esle arent losers. oh and the well thought of universe howcome no says just how fast ships are when they go thru the phase lanes

and you do realize have their own energy sword/lightsaber and they still lose. i cant put up an arguement against the force though

November 8, 2009 10:18:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

if it's so lame, then why was it worth your time to to try to strike us down with such a long and arduous rant?

(I think he's compensating...)

November 8, 2009 10:19:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Allegiance86,
Good god not this Halo shit again. First off, Halo is crap, every new Book introduces some new Badass weapon..........that outclasses the last book. Its like two five year olds trying to out Infinity each other "Infinity X Infinity +++++" Stop IT ALREADY!  Every Halo supporter goes above and beyond to outdo the competition. IE Covenant Vs Vasari.......................that means ONLY Covenant Technology.....not UNSC or the GOD DAMN HALOS OR THE FLOOD (As the FLOOD isnt on either side). If your arguement is so weak you need to refer to technologies and strategies of other factions in your beloved Halo Universe YOU FAIL.

If your going to argue Convenant stick to Convenant. Everytime someone starts one of these threads and people against Halo crush the Pro Halo supporters. Their arguements degrade. Always starting out with the Covenant.......then UNSC.......then moves to the Flood..............and then somehow the damn Forerunners........because somehow using a dead species in its own Universe somehow is going to change the fact your arguement is lacking.

Halo supporters need to learn that their covetted Game and Books are really lame. And dont stand up to the more thought out Scifi franchise's like SoaSE. It just doesnt have the legs to stand on when the writers cant even keep the tech tree reasonable enough to be believeable from book to book. And its pretty sad when the UNSC can only fight off the Convenant with one single man. Making everyone else in the series obselete and total losers. If you want to support Halo go ahead but please spare us your nonsense. We all know Halo is one of the best first person shooters in a very long time. But it doesnt hold a candle to the franchises like Star Trek and SoaSE where real thought went into developing its Universe. Not two geeks bouncing CRAZY technology off of each other til they have the UBER Convenant and the buttraped UNSC.

Sorry, forgot to quote first.

November 8, 2009 2:51:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting anteachtaire,
15min after that, Darth Vader showed up and sodomized master chief with his lightsaber while shouting, "I'M the original bad-ass cyborg! Now take it like a man!"

Who then gets annihilated by the rocks thrown by Mike.

Mike>Fremen>Galatic Empire>Cyberdemon>=Spider Mastermind (Occasionally)>The Federation>Vasari>Covenant>Blue Meanies>Space Stalin

Just be assured that both the Vasari and Covenant can both beat Space Stalin.

November 8, 2009 3:26:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

weve all heard the same arguements about Halo, thats why i went on my "rant" come up with something new to compare. Like SoaSE vs HW. Halo has been beaten to death. First with Halo Vs Star Wars, then Halo Vs Star Trek, now Halo Vs Vasari..................looks like all you pro Halo supporters  are just on a useless quest to prove your Halo to be badass. As no one else is starting threads about SoaSE or Star Trek or Star Wars vs Anything. Its always a Halo Buttbuddy.

November 8, 2009 4:38:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

question for Swordsalmon- who is Mike? what is a Cyberdemon? what is a Spider Mastermind? what are the Blue Meanies?

I especially wish to know who "Mike" is, as I do not think he can really take on the Fremen (who are fanatical in warfare. Fremen ferocity in war is something I bet would make even Vader or Palpatine sick to the stomach. A people whose wives will throw their infants at the enemy is not to be trifled with).

November 8, 2009 4:48:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Whiskey144,
question for Swordsalmon- who is Mike? what is a Cyberdemon? what is a Spider Mastermind? what are the Blue Meanies?

I especially wish to know who "Mike" is, as I do not think he can really take on the Fremen (who are fanatical in warfare. Fremen ferocity in war is something I bet would make even Vader or Palpatine sick to the stomach. A people whose wives will throw their infants at the enemy is not to be trifled with).

Mike is the sentient supercompter from The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, and the main mastermind in the novel. He helps form a plan to throw big rocks at Earth. And Cyberdemon and the Spider Mastermind are both monsters from Doom. The Cyberdemon is a monstrous hulky beast with a rocket launcher grafted for a left hand, and the Spider Mastermind is essentially a big mecha spider with a giant brain and face, and a minigun. And the Blue Meanies are music-hating fiends in The Yellow Submarine.

Though yeah, the Fremen would probably beat everyone in straight combat, but the power of super-rocks would crush just about everything.

November 8, 2009 4:56:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

point conceded. I had thought Mike was a person, and not a supercomputer.

Though, Fremen (and all people in the Imperium of the Dune series) have a highly fanatical hatred for "thinking machines" (computers). So, they could probably find a way to beat Mike. It just might take some time.

Also, not sure why Blue Meanies beat Space Stalin. Must be something about Space Stalin.

November 8, 2009 5:11:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Whiskey144,
point conceded. I had thought Mike was a person, and not a supercomputer.

Though, Fremen (and all people in the Imperium of the Dune series) have a highly fanatical hatred for "thinking machines" (computers). So, they could probably find a way to beat Mike. It just might take some time.

Also, not sure why Blue Meanies beat Space Stalin. Must be something about Space Stalin.

Assuming they can even find Mike. If I'm not mistaken, the entire Imperium does not know where the original Earth, and by extension, Luna, is. That gives Mike a virtual hundreds of years to craft a way to send rocks into every Imperium planet.

Space Stalin is most likely weakened after his climatic clash with Mecha-Hitler, so just about anyone could beat him.

November 8, 2009 5:44:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Allegiance86,
weve all heard the same arguements about Halo, thats why i went on my "rant" come up with something new to compare. Like SoaSE vs HW. Halo has been beaten to death. First with Halo Vs Star Wars, then Halo Vs Star Trek, now Halo Vs Vasari..................looks like all you pro Halo supporters  are just on a useless quest to prove your Halo to be badass. As no one else is starting threads about SoaSE or Star Trek or Star Wars vs Anything. Its always a Halo Buttbuddy.

SoaSE, maybe, but Star Wars and Star Trek are old news in terms of comparing to modern Sci-Fi.

This was never a real comparison anyway since from the way the books and games read, the HALO Universe was made up of a bunch of ships similar to SoaSE Scouts, carrying Starbase Weapons.  Hardly on the same level.

November 8, 2009 8:33:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ah, the classic "WW2 in space!! (with lazer canuns of dhuum!)" shtick. Not to sound insulting, as I actually find the idea of "Space Stalin vs. Mecha-Hitler" quite amusing!

November 8, 2009 9:02:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Swordsalmon,

Assuming they can even find Mike. If I'm not mistaken, the entire Imperium does not know where the original Earth, and by extension, Luna, is. That gives Mike a virtual hundreds of years to craft a way to send rocks into every Imperium planet.

Space Stalin is most likely weakened after his climatic clash with Mecha-Hitler, so just about anyone could beat him.

But the Freman have their Kwisatz Haderach, who would just get high on spice and see into the future to see the rocks coming, at which point the Freman would immediately invade Luna in retaliation. Also how do the Freman beat the Galatic Empire? Their ground forces they could probably handle, but I don't think the Dune universe has a starship that can beat a Star Destroyer.

November 9, 2009 2:29:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

the Guild Heighliners- I am pretty sure a Guild Heighliner is bigger than the SSD. And, from Heretics of Dune onward, there are "no-ships", that is, ships which are perfectly invisible and undetectable. Plus, toss in the "Lasgun beam+Holtzman field=psuedoatomic explosion" combo, and the Fremen could very well defeat the Galactic Empire.

Of course, that is also allowing for era/book-crossovers. Even then, travel aboard the Spacing Guild's massive Heighliners- they can carry FAR more people and hundreds of multi-hundred meter long "frigates". As a wild guess, I will say the average Great House frigate is in the 500 meter-2 km long range, depending on the House and that House's resources (Harkonnen frigates will likely be much larger than Atreides frigates, as the Harkonnens have 2 planets, and a massive industrial base). This would necessitate Heighliners to be likely larger than even the DSI/II, though I think that my guess was a bit too big, as the Heighliner manufacturing facilities on Ix are several kilometers long. I think that "about the same size/bigger than an SSD" is a good way to go.

Also, Holtzman shields only allow slow moving projectiles through. SW turbolasers don't look like "real" lasers, so I would say that they would affect Holtzman fields the same way as a kinetic slug. Just hit it and stop/bounce off.

November 10, 2009 12:51:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

yes, but the guild is just one corp. whereas the Galactic Empire is just that. An empire. Also, the guild universe has no computers, which is a big disadvantage. As for a turbolaser volley just "bouncing" off a holtzman field.... I think a more likely reaction would be a nuclear explosion.

November 10, 2009 1:12:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well if we really wanted the Freman to lose, the Empire no shortage of super weapons. Death Stars, the Eclipse, the Galaxy Gun, Sun crushers etc. Also the Executor was about 20 km long, and the Empire has a whole Galaxy worth of planets to produce warships from. And the Freman aren't the Spacing Guild (At least not in the books I read), if they were I would have given them a small chance. Also, the classic "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the force". Lets see Paul (or Leo before he became a sand worm, or anyone else in dune) survive a good force choke.

November 10, 2009 1:42:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

"forcechoke to brain +5"

- From the D&D of Star Wars

November 10, 2009 1:55:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

is this Empire (post Clone wars) or Republic (during clone wars) Problem with the Heighliners are they are on loan from the Spacing Guild. If enough Heighliners were destroyed. the Spacing guild wouldnt give a fuck how much influence Paul had theyd yank thei Heighliners out from under him and hed quickly find himself scravenging resources to build big enough and strong enough space faring ships. But by that time the Empire or Republic would be on his doorstep with TurboLasers.

November 10, 2009 5:27:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Allegiance86- that is actually incorrect.

Spacing Guild Heighliners are built above Junction, the Guild admin center, or on Ix, the tech-capital of the Imperium. You "charter" passage on a Heighliner, never buy its use for a time.

As for the Guild forsaking Paul, Paul controls the SPICE. The Guild REQUIRES the SPICE. The Guild will stay buy him.

November 10, 2009 7:01:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

But the Freman have their Kwisatz Haderach, who would just get high on spice and see into the future to see the rocks coming, at which point the Freman would immediately invade Luna in retaliation. Also how do the Freman beat the Galatic Empire? Their ground forces they could probably handle, but I don't think the Dune universe has a starship that can beat a Star Destroyer.

Assuming the Fremen can get a good spaceship from the guild, which would still take too long to find Luna. And in the mean time, Mike could just develop a Novalith Rock-Thrower that would be completely unstoppable, even when predicted.

The Fremen would beat the Galatic Empire because presumably, the Empire would cry to annex Arrakis. Their forces would be wiped out by the Fremen and the Empire would either have to flee Arrakis and can't destroy it if their people are addicted to spice.

November 10, 2009 7:13:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Swordsalmon,

Quoting GoaFan77, reply 38

Assuming the Fremen can get a good spaceship from the guild, which would still take too long to find Luna. And in the mean time, Mike could just develop a Novalith Rock-Thrower that would be completely unstoppable, even when predicted.

The Fremen would beat the Galatic Empire because presumably, the Empire would cry to annex Arrakis. Their forces would be wiped out by the Fremen and the Empire would either have to flee Arrakis and can't destroy it if their people are addicted to spice.

If their forces were wiped out, the next step in the Imperial battle plan is to use orbital bombardment (actually this is often the first step), of which the Freman have little defense, or just blow up the planet, of which they have no defense. Considering they can just get their own spice from Kessel, I don't think it will be much of a problem for them, addicted or not (and for some reason I can't picture Vader getting addicted to spice through his armor, even if he bothered to leave the Executor for Arrakis).

November 10, 2009 7:27:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

charter.........loan. Either way he has to ask the Spacing Guild For use. Either way, he doesnt own them. And at any point they could pull them out. The only thing he has over them is the SPICE, which if he loses enough ships they may very well yank them, that was actually a major worry for the Guild once he began conquering world after world in the third book, as without ships they cant transport the SPICE. So at that point theyd just wait it out and when Paul gets his ass handed to him, theyd break a deal with the Empire for SPICE.

November 10, 2009 10:03:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Except for one problem: the SPICE is only found on Arrakis. If we are using the pre-Heretics of Dune books as the guiding line, particularly during Dune and Dune Messiah (books 1&2), then spice is only on Arrakis.

Between books 4 and 5 the Tleilaxu (uber-geneticists) found a way to synthesize the spice. In one of the 2 books that came after #6 (Chapterhouse:Dune), there was a succesful transplanet of a water-based worm to the planet "Buzzell".

If we use pre-book-3 (Children of Dune) where Paul is still in power (no he was not overthrown), then the spice is ONLY on Arrakis. And worms CANNOT be transplanted to another planet (like say, Tatooine). This is because, of the simple fact that Arrakis ESSENTIALLY HAS NO WATER. It just doesn't have any natural, "easily" accessible wells. Wells that ARE dug and used quickly seal up.

Then, there is the fact that on Arrakis, conditions are FAR more extreme than on Tatooine. If the Empire wants to use the spice as a resource for subjugation (now you're addicted, and I control the drug, so you must obey me!), then they won't bomb the surface. The Imperial Stormtroopers will probably land way out in the desert. Then, the pattern of: "If the Coriolis Storms don't get them, the worms will. If the worms don't get them, the Fremen will. If the Fremen don't get them, then they will die of dehydration." sets in.

November 11, 2009 1:10:00 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

how did the fremen get a beachead on a Vasari vs Covenant Thread?

November 11, 2009 3:47:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have no idea.

But it sure is FUN!!!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.